Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• karlkaspiankarlkaspian  165WRX Points: 0Unregistered Posts: 165

Ok, ok. I did get a chance to hit 'em, 4 and 8. Lot of guys are going to love these as long iron replacements/driving irons. People that like cf16s type irons are gonna want to give these a try in the full set as well image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

so if they are doing a full set of irons, are the pictures of the UDIs different to these? Did the 4 say UDI? The pics TM put out clearly say UDI but I can't image they have that on an 8 iron lol
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jchaywoodjchaywood  128WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 128 Fairways

Ok, ok. I did get a chance to hit 'em, 4 and 8. Lot of guys are going to love these as long iron replacements/driving irons. People that like cf16s type irons are gonna want to give these a try in the full set as well image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

so if they are doing a full set of irons, are the pictures of the UDIs different to these? Did the 4 say UDI? The pics TM put out clearly say UDI but I can't image they have that on an 8 iron lol

From what I was told, the full set will be released in the fall with the highest iron being a 3 (they don't say udi), the udi variants are functionally identical but they have the udi branding and will come later, available in lower lofts (1, 2)
    Posted:
  • 9ccat99ccat9  1005WRX Points: 62Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 1,005 Platinum Tees
    sjugolf64 wrote:

These 790's looks sweet. Could easily see them going in a lot of bags as the long irons, must like the current UDI's/T-MB's. Will be interesting to see all the different combo set that will be out there with the different models. Hopefully they'll have the same lofts throughout the 730-750-770-790's so you can easily do this unlike how Titleist's are typically all different.

790's are stronger lofted.
    Posted:
    TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S
    TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite S100
    TM 19 790 4-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite S110
    TM Hi Toe 54 DG S300
    TM MG 58 Black DG S300
    TM Tour Stingray Putter
    TM TP5X balls
  • RobS14526RobS14526  1163WRX Points: 273Members Posts: 1,163 Platinum Tees
    It has been a long, long time since I've had any interest in a Taylormade iron. But they really knocked it out of the park with the 700 series. I look forward to seeing the full set of these.
    Posted:
  • BearQBearQ  3667WRX Points: 850Members Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees
    jchaywood wrote:

From what I was told, the full set will be released in the fall with the highest iron being a 3 (they don't say udi), the udi variants are functionally identical but they have the udi branding and will come later, available in lower lofts (1, 2)

Was mentioned earlier that there would be no 1-iron. Also seems odd that the publically released pics of the 2-4 iron heads would lead to a later release. I'm hearing they will all release together or if anything the UDI options first
    Posted:

BearQ wrote:

jchaywood wrote:

Was mentioned earlier that there would be no 1-iron. Also seems odd that the publically released pics of the 2-4 iron heads would lead to a later release. I'm hearing they will all release together or if anything the UDI options first

I'm just repeating what I heard from the rep. He didn't mention a one iron though, idk why I said that

Definitely said the udi release would follow the release of the full set though
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bdevil316bdevil316  3WRX Points: 5Handicap: 10Members Posts: 3 Starters
    Went to a demo day today and hit several irons. TM M2 I didn't like, M1 wasn't much better. Then the rep pulls out a 790 7 iron and hands it to me. One swing and i am in love! Rep says they will retail in the $1200 range, quite a bit over my budget but wow I really want a set of these irons
    Posted:
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the Sun 5265WRX Points: 397Handicap: 10Members Posts: 5,265 Titanium Tees
    bdevil316 wrote:

Went to a demo day today and hit several irons. TM M2 I didn't like, M1 wasn't much better. Then the rep pulls out a 790 7 iron and hands it to me. One swing and i am in love! Rep says they will retail in the $1200 range, quite a bit over my budget but wow I really want a set of these irons

Did you hit the 770? If so, can you compare 770 to 790?
    Posted:
    TM M6 10.5 GD AD IZ 6s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT Bigfoot 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • 9ccat99ccat9  1005WRX Points: 62Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 1,005 Platinum Tees
    bdevil316 wrote:

1299 steel, 1499 graphite.
    Posted:
    TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S
    TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite S100
    TM 19 790 4-PW, KBS C-Taper Lite S110
    TM Hi Toe 54 DG S300
    TM MG 58 Black DG S300
    TM Tour Stingray Putter
    TM TP5X balls
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***  31958WRX Points: 1,704Members Posts: 31,958 Titanium Tees
    9ccat9 wrote:

bdevil316 wrote:

1299 steel, 1499 graphite.

Not bad, I was expecting them to be more.
    Posted:
  • bfizzybfizzy San Diego 281WRX Points: 121Handicap: +1Members Posts: 281 Greens
    I think we are starting to actually feel the price increases in the equipment industry and they are starting to set the new baseline. Kind of like when drivers went from $400 to $500 OTR. I'm sure it is just me, but I've really noticed the pricing changes over the last few years for irons as a category from almost every manufacturer. That's life though!
    Posted:
    TM SIM Max 9.0* - Tensei Pro White 70TX
    TM M5 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70tx
    Titleist 816 H2 19* - Tensei Pro White 90tx
     TM P790 UDI 17* - Tensei Pro White 100 TX
    TM P790 3 Iron - KBS $-Taper X
    TM P7TW 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120 TX / Miura MC 501 4-PW - KBS $-Taper X
    Taylormade MG2 52* / 56* DG TI S400
    Taylormade Hi Toe 60* Fujikura MCI Wedge Graphite 
    Putter: Tyson Lamb Allendale / Kronos Golf Prototype / Spider X 

Advertisement
  • jwfgolfprojwfgolfpro jwfgolfpro  1330WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 1,330 Platinum Tees
    BirdieBob wrote:

If these are hollow and cast like the T-MB then I am not interested.

But, if there is some filling inside that reduces vibration then I am IF they are low offset and bounce like the PXG 0311X irons, which are fantastic feeling and forgiving.

Will be interested in 6-pw since PXG X is only available thru the 5.

Forged image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

JWF
    Posted:
    ALL Taylormade :)
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 400 yard Club!  4441WRX Points: 435Members Posts: 4,441 Titanium Tees
    jwfgolfpro wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

But, if there is some filling inside that reduces vibration then I am IF they are low offset and bounce like the PXG 0311X irons, which are fantastic feeling and forgiving.

JWF

Great....half way there! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Now...what metal are they forged out of?

"Forged" is a highly overused term these days compared to the days of blade irons, so caution must be used when using that term.

But if the hosel is soft forged metal then that is a big plus along with the backside.
    Posted:

TITLEIST TS4 Driver, 9.5*, JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X.
    CALLAWAY Epic Flash SubZero TI, 14.6*, Diamana ZF, 70TX
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 17*, Tensei Pro Orange HY 80X
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 20*, Tensei Pro White HY 100TX
    TAYLORMADE P790 UDI, #2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOST Hybrid, 102X
    TAYLORMADE P7TW, 4 - PW, DG TI x100....Summer Set
    TAYLORMADE '19 P790, 4 - AW, DG AMT WHITE x100....Winter Set
    PXG 0311T 54* MILLED Sugar Daddy Xtreme Dark Wedge, DG TI s400 ONYX
    PXG 0311T 60* MILLED Darkness Wedge, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    SUN MOUNTAIN `20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***  31958WRX Points: 1,704Members Posts: 31,958 Titanium Tees
    jwfgolfpro wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

JWF

Consider one set sold!
    Posted:
    jchaywood wrote:

Is the topline on the middle/short irons fairly thick?

They're a little more chunky than I'd normally play, but they're not super thick. Similar to apex/z565 iirc

Edit: maybe a little slimmer than the apex, less offset too, even in the longer irons

Any idea on the shaft offerings for the 790?
    Posted:
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 400 yard Club!  4441WRX Points: 435Members Posts: 4,441 Titanium Tees
    BirdieBob wrote:

jwfgolfpro wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

JWF

"Forged" is a highly overused term these days compared to the days of blade irons, so caution must be used when using that term.

But if the hosel is soft forged metal then that is a big plus along with the backside.

I suspect that the front face/sole will be a cast since the sole slot requires a very strong hard metal to flex/reflex continually. The back/hosel will be welded onto the front piece......so partially "forged".

Even the PXG 0311X made from very soft 8620 carbon steel has an ultra thin face welded onto the body.
    Posted:

TITLEIST TS4 Driver, 9.5*, JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X.
    CALLAWAY Epic Flash SubZero TI, 14.6*, Diamana ZF, 70TX
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 17*, Tensei Pro Orange HY 80X
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 20*, Tensei Pro White HY 100TX
    TAYLORMADE P790 UDI, #2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOST Hybrid, 102X
    TAYLORMADE P7TW, 4 - PW, DG TI x100....Summer Set
    TAYLORMADE '19 P790, 4 - AW, DG AMT WHITE x100....Winter Set
    PXG 0311T 54* MILLED Sugar Daddy Xtreme Dark Wedge, DG TI s400 ONYX
    PXG 0311T 60* MILLED Darkness Wedge, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    SUN MOUNTAIN `20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black

Advertisement

jchaywood wrote:

They're a little more chunky than I'd normally play, but they're not super thick. Similar to apex/z565 iirc

Edit: maybe a little slimmer than the apex, less offset too, even in the longer irons

Ones I hit had dynamic gold 105, assuming that is stock shaft
    Posted:
  • TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Golf Carlsbad 201WRX Points: 970Sponsors Posts: 201 Fairways
    You guys are gonna love the way these sound and feel...
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Golf Official Account
    https://www.taylormadegolf.com/clubhouse
    Service: +1 866 530 8624
  • Titleist_BallerTitleist_Baller  706WRX Points: 99ClubWRX Posts: 706 Golden Tee
    I can't wait to get a 3 iron. When can I order?
    Posted:
  • Lefty431Lefty431  1123WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 1,123 Platinum Tees

How bout leaking some pics of the 5-pw! And will these be available in lefty?? Please!
    Posted:
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • taylorx300taylorx300  1351WRX Points: 194Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,351 Platinum Tees
    790 is available in LH - stock steel will be DG XP 105, stock graph will be recoil 780.
    Posted:
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Advertisement
  • Lefty431Lefty431  1123WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 1,123 Platinum Tees
    taylorx300 wrote:

790 is available in LH - stock steel will be DG XP 105, stock graph will be recoil 780.

Great.. thanks! And thanks Taylormade! Now about those pics??
    Posted:
    Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
    Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

What is that iron being injected with?
    Posted:
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE  2025WRX Points: 133Handicap: 3.9Members Posts: 2,025 Platinum Tees
    Already have the 770's, and am eyeing the 730's.

But I'm really hoping to pick up a 2 UDI from this line.
    Posted:
  • TaylorMadeLuvTaylorMadeLuv  602WRX Points: 1Members Posts: 602 Bunkers

It's gold flake from the hills of carlsbad...helps with soft feel!
    Posted:
    New Bag in the making...
  • ShankapodShankapod  326WRX Points: 67Members Posts: 326 Greens
    uuugggghhhhh we need some pics here. I need to put together my story soon that I am "playing in a tournament. Look at the irons I could win" or else I **gasp** might have to wait til Christmas!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG  6063WRX Points: 186Handicap: 8.7ClubWRX Posts: 6,063 ClubWRX

My first thought is unicorn blood...
    Posted:
    Twitter:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 4w: Callaway Mavrik  4/16.5* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro 2 Dot 5-PW MMT 105 S
    Wedges: Callaway MD 5 52/MD 5 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Callaway 14 way carry

My WITB
  • jwfgolfprojwfgolfpro jwfgolfpro  1330WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 1,330 Platinum Tees

jchaywood wrote:

Havent seen full list yet just a sample.

JWF
    Posted:

jchaywood wrote:

S-Taper Black

DG 105

KBS Tour FLT

C-Taper Light

Dynamic Gold T

Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Dynamic Golf AMT

Modus 105, 120 & 130

NS Pro Modus 105

Project X T

Recoil 95 & 110

Recoil 760 & 780

Steelfiber i95 T

Tour T

JWF
    Posted:

Advertisement
    BirdieBob wrote:

jwfgolfpro wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

JWF

I think a blend image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.