Oban ct 115

sgolf711sgolf711 Members Posts: 117
As a typical Wrx'er I found a set of irons that I wanted and bought them blind. They come with a set of Oban Steel ct 115 shafts. I have been looking around but haven't found much info on their performance, feel, and other characteristics, just found they aren't cheap, can anyone shed some light please, thank you!

Comments

• GalangaGalanga Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2018 #2
    Have them in stiff. Constant weight. 115 gm. Tend to be mid to mid-high traj and moderate spin. Stiffs play like px5.5 to me but w more smooth feel. Like them quite a bit.
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5; GD Tour AD DI 5S; 45.25"; D6+
    • Ping G400 17.5 (- to 16.9); GD AD-F 65 Stiff-Regular; 43"; D4
    • Ping G400 19 and 22; GD AD HY 85 Stiff (SS1); D3
    • Ping i210, PW-4i; black dot; +1/2; GD Tour AD 85S graphite shaft; D3.5-4.5
    • Ping i210 50, Glide Stealth 54ES and 58WS; +1/2; Paderson TS-W shaft (115 gm); D4.5-D5.5
    • Argolf Pendragon; BGT Stability; 34.5/70*
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Have them in X-. There are seven flexes ranging from R- to X+. Great shafts. Flight to me is similiar to PX with a nicer feel.
    Callaway Gbb Epic Forged 9.5°
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° 
    TM RSI UDI 3 
    TM 2011 MC Onset 4-PW
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • sgolf711sgolf711 Members Posts: 117
    Thank you for your replies. It helps a bunch!
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 293 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 23, 2018 #5
    I have two sets with these shafts in them - Mizzy MP18/MP5 combo and PXG 0311T. I was fit at Club Champion into these shafts about 18 months ago and yes, they do cost a bomb. But the feel is absolutely amazing. Been playing better than ever and the performance is so, so consistent. Very high quality.

I have my 50 deg and 56 deg wedges with these shafts as well. Mainly because I mostly play full shots with those clubs.

Love them so much that new iron heads may come and go, but I think these will stay in the bag a long, long time.
  • sgolf711sgolf711 Members Posts: 117
    NYCGolfNut wrote:

I have two sets with these shafts in them - Mizzy MP18/MP5 combo and PXG 0311T. I was fit at Club Champion into these shafts about 18 months ago and yes, they do cost a bomb. But the feel is absolutely amazing. Been playing better than ever and the performance is so, so consistent. Very high quality.

I have my 50 deg and 56 deg wedges with these shafts as well. Mainly because I mostly play full shots with those clubs.

Love them so much that new iron heads may come and go, but I think these will stay in the bag a long, long time.

Are they similar to shimada tour k if you are familiar? Thanks!
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 293 ClubWRX
    sgolf711 wrote:

NYCGolfNut wrote:

Sorry! Not familiar with those. I have always played TT DG or Nippon before and this was my first experience with custom / aftermarket Japanese steel shafts. I'm a convert now, and looking forward to exploring some more in this area.
  • mefnocerousmefnocerous Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Galanga wrote:

Have them in stiff. Constant weight. 115 gm. Tend to be mid to mid-high traj and moderate spin. Stiffs play like px5.5 to me but w more smooth feel. Like them quite a bit.

So as a constant weight, does that mean my 4 iron is going to be significantly heavier than my 9 iron? I am having some real trouble with these in the longer irons getting my normal flight. Don't know if it's the shafts or the cally apex lofts.

Feel is incredible tho.

Interestingly the fitter said you don't need to pure them becuase the way they're created they don't need spine alignment. Anybody heard that?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]____________________________________[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Ping G400 10.5 ADDI 6x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U85 18 ADDI 95x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon U65 23 ADDI 95x[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wishon 771 5-P (26-46) Modus 120[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura 51,55,58 DG Spinner[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX4 64 DG TI[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey #9[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridgestone Tour B RX[/font]
  • TheBoomer TheBoomer Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭
    Mid-High Ballflight

Very Smooth

Plays stiffer than flex noted
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
  • Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish Members Posts: 8,483 ✭✭

Do any OEMs offer this as an upcharge or do you have to buy a set and then go to a clubmaker to switch out the shafts?

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭

@Boogs2 said:
    Do any OEMs offer this as an upcharge or do you have to buy a set and then go to a clubmaker to switch out the shafts?

Need to go through a clubmaker, they are tough to find even just to purchase out right. I went through Will Peoples from on here.

• Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish Members Posts: 8,483 ✭✭

@Krt22 said:

@Boogs2 said:

Need to go through a clubmaker, they are tough to find even just to purchase out right. I went through Will Peoples from on here.

Suspected that would be the case.

I’m wondering if there is little demand or hype for these thus many OEMs not offering them in their fitting carts or it maybe too expensive ?

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭

Definitely a boutique shaft. I was hoping an OEM could at least custom order them but after talking to DDs (who sell all the major OEMs) they said that none of them have it as an option. You could tell they have been asked multiple times as well.

• autronicdsmautronicdsm Members Posts: 729 ✭✭

@sgolf711 said:

Define similar?
    Yes, they are both 115g and mid trajectory but steps are different. There's a thread out here where I posted steps for K's 115 and someone else for Obans, if you're interested.

• poppman2142poppman2142 Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭

@Boogs2 said:

Ping offers them.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ triple diamond 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* with Tensei Pro Orange 70 stiff untipped
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Callaway Apex 19' 18* with Diamana Thump 90 stiff tipped 1/4"
    Callaway Apex Pro dot 4-P with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Mizuno T7 51,56,61 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Epon Zen 34.75" with Grip Master leather wrap
    Toulon Azalea 34.75" with Stability putter shaft
    2018 Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade tp5x
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • DigitalizedOrangeDigitalizedOrange ClubWRX Posts: 80 ✭✭

More will start to offer them. I know for sure one of them will be Mizuno, after that most likely Taylormade.

Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5 w/ TPT 15 MKP-MT-SW
    TEE CBX T3 15* w/ UST Proforce v2 7F4
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ Tensei White 95g Stiff
    Srixion Z u65 20* W/ DI-95x Hybrid
    Taylormade P790 4-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange Stiff
    Scratch Tour DD Grind 52,58
    Taylormade Kia Ma Daytona Tour
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,611 ✭✭

@mefnocerous said:
    Galanga wrote:

So as a constant weight, does that mean my 4 iron is going to be significantly heavier than my 9 iron? I am having some real trouble with these in the longer irons getting my normal flight. Don't know if it's the shafts or the cally apex lofts.

Feel is incredible tho.

Interestingly the fitter said you don't need to pure them becuase the way they're created they don't need spine alignment. Anybody heard that?

Constant weight means just that.
    All of the shafts are made individually for each iron (so all shafts are the same weight) - 115 g throughout, for example.
    Parallel shafts all come from one blank shaft and are tipped different amounts to get the different iron shafts, so in this case, the long irons are heavier, because they are longer, and all of the shafts started from the same black shaft, typically a 42" shaft.

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - TP6HD Firm tipped xx" - 44.25" (CANNON!)
    TEE XCG7 Beta 5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 1.625" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S
    Coutour Dornoch Putter 33" - 365g Head - SS Flatso 2.0