Oban ct 115

sgolf711 ·  
sgolf711sgolf711  117WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6+Members Posts: 117
As a typical Wrx'er I found a set of irons that I wanted and bought them blind. They come with a set of Oban Steel ct 115 shafts. I have been looking around but haven't found much info on their performance, feel, and other characteristics, just found they aren't cheap, can anyone shed some light please, thank you!
Posted:

Comments

• GalangaGalanga  738WRX Points: 118Handicap: 4-6Members Posts: 738 Golden Tee
    Have them in stiff. Constant weight. 115 gm. Tend to be mid to mid-high traj and moderate spin. Stiffs play like px5.5 to me but w more smooth feel. Like them quite a bit.
    Posted:
    • Callaway Mavrik 10.5; Fujikura Pro 2.0 6S; 45.5”; D8
    • Ping 410 3w (19); Fujikura Vista Pro 55 Regular (weird); 43” D7
    • Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood (19); MRC Tensei AV Blue 75 S; 42.75”; D5-7
    • Titleist 818 H2 21; MRC Tensei CK Pro 70 S; 40.0”; D5-7
    • Callaway Apex Forged Smoke 19 5-AW+1/4”; Aerotech SF i95 S; D5
    • Callaway MD5 JAWS Tour Grey 54 W and 60 PM Grind +1/4"; Project X LZ 5.5; D5-6
    • Ping Y-Blade; 36.5/70

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3524WRX Points: 495Handicap: 3.0Members Posts: 3,524 Titanium Tees
    Have them in X-. There are seven flexes ranging from R- to X+. Great shafts. Flight to me is similiar to PX with a nicer feel.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95X
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 50 S-Grind
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 56 X-Grind
    Vokey Low Bounce K-Grind 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

• sgolf711sgolf711  117WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6+Members Posts: 117
    Thank you for your replies. It helps a bunch!
    Posted:
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut  477WRX Points: 168Handicap: 12Members Posts: 477 Greens
    I have two sets with these shafts in them - Mizzy MP18/MP5 combo and PXG 0311T. I was fit at Club Champion into these shafts about 18 months ago and yes, they do cost a bomb. But the feel is absolutely amazing. Been playing better than ever and the performance is so, so consistent. Very high quality.

I have my 50 deg and 56 deg wedges with these shafts as well. Mainly because I mostly play full shots with those clubs.

Love them so much that new iron heads may come and go, but I think these will stay in the bag a long, long time.
    Posted:
  • sgolf711sgolf711  117WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6+Members Posts: 117
    NYCGolfNut wrote:

I have two sets with these shafts in them - Mizzy MP18/MP5 combo and PXG 0311T. I was fit at Club Champion into these shafts about 18 months ago and yes, they do cost a bomb. But the feel is absolutely amazing. Been playing better than ever and the performance is so, so consistent. Very high quality.

I have my 50 deg and 56 deg wedges with these shafts as well. Mainly because I mostly play full shots with those clubs.

Love them so much that new iron heads may come and go, but I think these will stay in the bag a long, long time.

Are they similar to shimada tour k if you are familiar? Thanks!
    Posted:
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut  477WRX Points: 168Handicap: 12Members Posts: 477 Greens
    sgolf711 wrote:

NYCGolfNut wrote:

Sorry! Not familiar with those. I have always played TT DG or Nippon before and this was my first experience with custom / aftermarket Japanese steel shafts. I'm a convert now, and looking forward to exploring some more in this area.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mefnocerousmefnocerous  178WRX Points: 38Handicap: 7Members Posts: 178 Fairways
    Galanga wrote:

Have them in stiff. Constant weight. 115 gm. Tend to be mid to mid-high traj and moderate spin. Stiffs play like px5.5 to me but w more smooth feel. Like them quite a bit.

So as a constant weight, does that mean my 4 iron is going to be significantly heavier than my 9 iron? I am having some real trouble with these in the longer irons getting my normal flight. Don't know if it's the shafts or the cally apex lofts.

Feel is incredible tho.

Interestingly the fitter said you don't need to pure them becuase the way they're created they don't need spine alignment. Anybody heard that?
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 9.5 Project X LZ '17 Hand Crafted 6.5
    Titleist TS2 16 Project X LZ '16 Hand Crafted 6.0
    Srixon u85 18 AD95x
    Wishon hybrid 21 Matrix White Tie HX4
    Ping G 5-P (25-45) Awt 2.0
    Vokey sm7 52,58,62 
    Slighter Tacoma
    TP5x
  • TheBoomer TheBoomer  3413WRX Points: 148Members Posts: 3,413 Titanium Tees
    Mid-High Ballflight

Very Smooth

Plays stiffer than flex noted
    Posted:
    Something Rare
    Something JDM
    WITB Link
  • Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish  8484WRX Points: 151Members Posts: 8,484 Titanium Tees

Do any OEMs offer this as an upcharge or do you have to buy a set and then go to a clubmaker to switch out the shafts?

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8783WRX Points: 2,470Members Posts: 8,783 Titanium Tees

On -, @Boogs2 said:

Do any OEMs offer this as an upcharge or do you have to buy a set and then go to a clubmaker to switch out the shafts?

Need to go through a clubmaker, they are tough to find even just to purchase out right. I went through Will Peoples from on here.

Posted:
  • Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish  8484WRX Points: 151Members Posts: 8,484 Titanium Tees

On -, @Krt22 said:

On -, @Boogs2 said:

Need to go through a clubmaker, they are tough to find even just to purchase out right. I went through Will Peoples from on here.

Suspected that would be the case.

I’m wondering if there is little demand or hype for these thus many OEMs not offering them in their fitting carts or it maybe too expensive ?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8783WRX Points: 2,470Members Posts: 8,783 Titanium Tees

Definitely a boutique shaft. I was hoping an OEM could at least custom order them but after talking to DDs (who sell all the major OEMs) they said that none of them have it as an option. You could tell they have been asked multiple times as well.

Posted:
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm  802WRX Points: 98Handicap: 999Members Posts: 802 Golden Tee

On -, @sgolf711 said:

Define similar?
    Yes, they are both 115g and mid trajectory but steps are different. There's a thread out here where I posted steps for K's 115 and someone else for Obans, if you're interested.

Posted:
  • poppman2142poppman2142  1195WRX Points: 166Members Posts: 1,195 Platinum Tees

On -, @Boogs2 said:

Ping offers them.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist TS4 10.5* with GD XC6 stiff tipped 1/2" 
    Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
    Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
    Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • DigitalizedOrangeDigitalizedOrange  91WRX Points: 38ClubWRX Posts: 91 Fairways

More will start to offer them. I know for sure one of them will be Mizuno, after that most likely Taylormade.

Posted:
    Taylormade Jetspeed 10.5 w/ TPT 15 MKP-MT-SW
    TEE CBX T3 15* w/ UST Proforce v2 7F4
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ Tensei White 95g Stiff
    Srixion Z u65 20* W/ DI-95x Hybrid
    Taylormade P790 4-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange Stiff
    Scratch Tour DD Grind 52,58
    Taylormade Kia Ma Daytona Tour
  • geochitowngeochitown  2064WRX Points: 286Handicap: 14Members Posts: 2,064 Platinum Tees

On -, @mefnocerous said:

Galanga wrote:

So as a constant weight, does that mean my 4 iron is going to be significantly heavier than my 9 iron? I am having some real trouble with these in the longer irons getting my normal flight. Don't know if it's the shafts or the cally apex lofts.

Feel is incredible tho.

Interestingly the fitter said you don't need to pure them becuase the way they're created they don't need spine alignment. Anybody heard that?

Constant weight means just that.
    All of the shafts are made individually for each iron (so all shafts are the same weight) - 115 g throughout, for example.
    Parallel shafts all come from one blank shaft and are tipped different amounts to get the different iron shafts, so in this case, the long irons are heavier, because they are longer, and all of the shafts started from the same black shaft, typically a 42" shaft.

Posted:
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in Wishon 919THI 13* Matrix 7M3 at 42.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
    OR Bastain Milled BM-007 Prototype 371g at 33"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.