2018 Cleveland Launcher HB Driver - Long Term Update

jholz

Greetings everyone!

As some of you may remember, I won the Cleveland Launcher HB Driver Giveaway here on WRX in the late spring, and have been playing the club all summer. Just thought I would pop back with a little update.

All in all, I continue to be very impressed with the Launcher HB. Hasn't even come close to leaving the bag!

It has to be the easiest, most playable driver that I have ever owned - and it's just as long as the Callaway and Cobra drivers I was previously playing. Although the Miyazaki C. Kua shaft is lighter (53g) than what I have normally played in the past, there was only a short adjustment period or learning curve. The shaft is well matched to the head and swings very solidly - not whippy or lacking in feel.

The best thing about the Launcher HB is its ability to mitigate sidespin, helping hooks become draws and turning slices into controlled fades.

I still miss some fairways with the Launcher, but I haven't sent one off the planet in a really, really long time. Keeping the ball in play has helped my scoring average drop about four strokes over the past two months, going from low-mid 80's to mid-high 70's. I believe that is pretty significant.

And for me, there is more to it than engineering.

With the Launcher HB, I'm not as focused on raw distance. I know that it will hit the ball "far enough" and as a result, I'm thinking more about control - trying to get the ball to a certain area, rather than just as far as I can hit it.

When you put that mentality together with a club that helps keep the ball in play, magic can happen.

So, if you're looking for a utilitarian driver that will help keep you in play, while also allowing you to hit the snot out of the ball, you should definitely give the 2018 Launcher HB a swing. It is a damn fine club, carrying on the legacy of great (yet often unsung) Cleveland drivers.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice update... I feel like Cleveland Golf is extremely underrated. They have been making great clubs, all around, for years.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

So....is the lack of interest in these threads a product of poor writing/content, or the subject? Somewhat baffled there isn't more interest in this product!

Would be happy to post more photos and answer questions!

or
or

I still have my Cleveland hibore XL and really liked it. I think if I put that back in the bag I wouldn't see any problems with quality of T shots. One thing I didn't like about the old Cleveland hibore XL was the rounded Leading Edge on the bottom of the club head. It made it a little dicey for using it off the deck in those occasions. The new one appears to be a sharp edge on the bottom, which I like. I think I could game that club easily, and it's nice looking too

Like Wilson, Cleveland has been a rather schizophrenic company for a number of years, unfortunately.

They will always have a niche with the wedges, and had great club lineups top to bottom through the 90's and early 2000's, but the acquisition by Srixon really messed things up IMHO.

I obviously question the wisdom of essentially killing the brand outside of wedges, and then trying to revive it with woods and irons a couple of years later. Always going to be an uphill battle.

As an enduring fan of Cleveland irons and woods, I hope they are able to keep it going.

or
or

I tried the 10.5 and the 9.0 at a demo day a few months ago. My swing speed is around 105-108 and I found the stock shafts lacking. Definitely had a forgiving face but was launching them both super high. With the right shaft it would be lethal though. Might try and find a used 9.0 and reshaft it.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I had a Launcher Comp in the bag for years. And I played the Launcher 330, 400, and 460 before that.

I’ve played quite a few of their irons and wedges as well.

I bet this driver would fit me well. Do you find this head to hit it high? I’m a 92-95 mph swinger, and usually need a little more height.

I tried the 10.5 and the 9.0 at a demo day a few months ago. My swing speed is around 105-108 and I found the stock shafts lacking. Definitely had a forgiving face but was launching them both super high. With the right shaft it would be lethal though. Might try and find a used 9.0 and reshaft it.

Yeah, Cleveland isn't following conventional wisdom when it comes to fitting/appealing to higher swing speed amateurs or more serious/capable players. The combination of lightweight shaft and "high-launching" head obviously aren't going to work for everyone. And for anyone who is used to heavier shafts and low-launching heads, the HB is going to be an adjustment.

I've played lower loft, tour style drivers since they were made of persimmon and my swing speed is right about on par with yours. I chose the 10.5* head and was initially a bit worried.

I hit a few moon balls during my first range experience with the thing, but I made a couple of adjustments and it hasn't been a problem since. Even though the head is high-launching, it does a really good job of managing spin. That, I think, really helps to mitigate ballooning. I haven't had it on a launch monitor or anything - and I'm sure I'm not getting "ideal" launch conditions - but out on the course I haven't had a single complaint about distance or ball flight.

Having said that, I would love to see someone tinker around with different shafts in the Launcher HB head, perhaps even put it up against some other OEMs on a launch monitor, just to see how capable it might be for higher swing speeds.

or
or

How does the driver feel?

As one might expect, feedback is a bit muted compared to tour style heads, but impact with the Launcher HB is solid and rewarding. I certainly haven't had any trouble identifying where on the face I am hitting it - right off the center, of course. :D

Despite the light shaft, the HB has a D3 swingweight, so it's well balanced, feels great in the hands, and you can tell where the head is throughout the swing.

Effortless joy.

or
or

One thing that I have failed to mention in this particular thread - but had in my others on the Launcher HB - is that I am choking up on this club somewhere between an 1" - 1 1/2" - with the grip logo a fraction of an inch beneath the V in my lower hand. My attempts to swing it at its stock length were comical.

I have been playing my drivers at 44" for awhile now and have cut them down in the past. I haven't had the heart to do it to the Cleveland yet, I'm not sure that I ever will. I am a big advocate of the slightly shorter length shaft, however.

or
or

Like Wilson, Cleveland has been a rather schizophrenic company for a number of years, unfortunately.

They will always have a niche with the wedges, and had great club lineups top to bottom through the 90's and early 2000's, but the acquisition by Srixon really messed things up IMHO.

I obviously question the wisdom of essentially killing the brand outside of wedges, and then trying to revive it with woods and irons a couple of years later. Always going to be an uphill battle.

As an enduring fan of Cleveland irons and woods, I hope they are able to keep it going.

I think Srixon has positioned Cleveland as their wedges and game-improvement brand, leaving Srixon proper as the "players" premium brand. I notice that Srixon never made a replacement for their Z355s, which were their most forgiving and non-forged irons. I guess the Cleveland Launcher CBX irons are the new Z355s, with v-sole and whatnot. I'm fine with that.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

I think Srixon has positioned Cleveland as their wedges and game-improvement brand, leaving Srixon proper as the "players" premium brand. I notice that Srixon never made a replacement for their Z355s, which were their most forgiving and non-forged irons. I guess the Cleveland Launcher CBX irons are the new Z355s, with v-sole and whatnot. I'm fine with that.

I can't say that I'm ok with it, or that it makes a lot of sense to me, but this sounds like a likely theory.

or
or

I can't say that I'm ok with it, or that it makes a lot of sense to me, but this sounds like a likely theory.

Well, I mean, I think they bought Cleveland primarily for the distribution relationships in North America. It's a miracle they've even kept the company alive in some form. What would be the point of owning two identical golf companies that compete against each other? It would be like Mizuno buying Titleist and then both continuing to sell forged players irons.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60

Well, I mean, I think they bought Cleveland primarily for the distribution relationships in North America. It's a miracle they've even kept the company alive in some form. What would be the point of owning two identical golf companies that compete against each other? It would be like Mizuno buying Titleist and then both continuing to sell forged players irons.

Well see, this is why I am not in business. Might make total sense, but I don't have to like it.

or
or

One thing that I have failed to mention in this particular thread - but had in my others on the Launcher HB - is that I am choking up on this club somewhere between an 1" - 1 1/2"

See, this is a dealbreaker for me. 44.5-45" is ideal, hate gripping down on driver.

Yeah, it used to be for me too, but I overcame it for the HB. Hasn't been a problem.

That being said, I will hack the shaft down to 44" eventually. Then, of course, deal with the swing weight.

I don't have the head in front of me at the moment, but I do want to say that it has a port - so hotmelt may be possible. Otherwise, lead tape.

or
or

Well see, this is why I am not in business. Might make total sense, but I don't have to like it.

I hear ya. I feel the same about what happened to Adams after Taylormade bought and destroyed them.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60

• 1 month later...

I bought this driver about a month ago and love it.

It is easy to hit and longer than the XR16 that I have used the past year.

I play my home course about 3 times per week and I know the distance I normally hit my driver.

I am in the fairway and being 5 to 10 yards longer than my XR16 or my previous M2.

Maybe this driver is a better fit for me but you need to check it out if you are looking to try a new driver.

I am 90 mph ss so I guess I am the target market for this club

Only one problem...you may have trouble finding one to demo being as Dick's and Golf Galaxy does not carry them.

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

• 4 weeks later...

Asking anyone who owns or has hit this driver: do you notice a draw bias in the club? I'm really intrigued by the idea of a driver that's cheaper and not adjustable (I'm the opposite of a tinkerer), but my concern with this one is that it might be a bit hooky. Anyone experience this, or does it set up very neutral?

D : Callaway Paradym

3W: Titleist 913F
H: Titleist TS2

4-PW: Srixon ZXU (4), ZX5 (5-6), ZX7 (7-PW)
50-56-60: Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw
P : Odyssey
 White Hot Versa Twelve DB

Asking anyone who owns or has hit this driver: do you notice a draw bias in the club? I'm really intrigued by the idea of a driver that's cheaper and not adjustable (I'm the opposite of a tinkerer), but my concern with this one is that it might be a bit hooky. Anyone experience this, or does it set up very neutral?

didnt notice it to be draw biased. It does setup slightly closed to dead neutral at address. I'd say its height biased though. Launches high and flies high. Also very loud. The stock shaft didnt suite me very well either. It's pretty light.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

didnt notice it to be draw biased. It does setup slightly closed to dead neutral at address. I'd say its height biased though. Launches high and flies high. Also very loud. The stock shaft didnt suite me very well either. It's pretty light.

I have one right now that I bought to mess around with. It does set up or at least appears slightly closed at address. I wasn't hooking it badly which surprised me being that my miss is generally a hook. What did surprise me is that side by side with the stock shaft, it appeared to be spinning lower than the G400 Max 9 degree with the Tour 65 shaft. I was hitting with range rocks though. I'll say this, if Cleveland would have squared or ever so slightly opened the face a little and put a standard weight (around 65g) shaft at 45.25 or 45, this driver would be absolute money. The feel and sound aren't bad at all and the face is very hot. I was going to sell mine, but I think I may score an old Grafalloy Prolite 3.5 and throw it in there for a fun experiment.