Ping glide vs Vokey sm7

bogey777

I played and am playing both - so here is my take.

Β 

SM7 - best Vokeys to date - they have about a 123g shaft and one more swingweight - they have a bit of heft and great balance. If you relax, the heft will help you. The club will do its thing. Best to get fit to your grind. Feels heavier off the ball.

Β 

Ping Glide 2.0 - AWT 2.0 shaft is lighter by a handful of grams, lighter, quicker feel off the ball.

Β 

Both have a similar look at address - I'm looking at both as I type. I think the top of the SM7 head tapers more towards the hosel than the Ping. The Ping has a small cavity and elastomer to help feel and offer some forgiveness.

Β 

I sold my 50F, 56S, 60M -- SM7s to a Titleist Ho', and kept a D Grind bent to 59-11 to do more comparisons. I really liked the 50-08 F Grind of the SM7 and had great success with that wedge. The other 2 made me a little more uneasy off really tight lies, and when I am uneasy, I get armsy, and blow the shot. It's a personal issue. And you've got to know your tendencies to pick the right club. You must have confidence in a club until you work out your tendencies.

Β 

I am playing the Pings - I'm more agreeable with the lighter feel off the ball and my swing seems to fit the grind of the Pings more than the SM7 - I have the 50-12 Ping, the ES grind in the 56, and SS grind in the 60. I like the ES Grind out of the bunker, and the 60 SS grind works well off tight lies. The club offers a little more confidence for me and lessens my evil tendencies.

Β 

Both are excellent wedges - depends on which model works better for you.

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

Β 

• Ping G430Β Max 9/TPT 19HiΒ Golf Shaft @45Β in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway ParadymΒ 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro,Β Both with Nippon 105Β 
  • Putter: Β LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipRΒ in messy or no turf conditions

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I prefer the Ping wedges. I have tried over and over again to go back to Vokey, but the Ping wedges have a great shape and are more forgiving IMO. Also, if you like a heavier shaft, you can get DG S300 in them at no upcharge. I have been playing Ping wedges in 50*, 54*, and 58* since the first iteration of the Glides.

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5Β° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15Β° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple DΒ (7) 20Β° -Β  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55Β°F , 60Β°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

Β 

Swingman is absolutely right, I agree that vokeys are usually heavier than pings and that they look pretty similar.

There's a big difference: vokeys are made from 8620 carbon steel, while glides from 431ss, which makes Pings much more durable.

Β 

If you plan on keeping them for long time, definitely go with Ping.

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainlessΒ 

I have played both and like both. I like the Vokeys better because of the grind options and they just fit me better. I can hit any shot I want with them and they feel great. With the Pings, spin seemed a little less predictable and they were definitely lighter, with a bit less soft feel than the Vokeys. I had the pings, sold them and bought Vokeys after getting fit.

I have played both and like both. I like the Vokeys better because of the grind options and they just fit me better. I can hit any shot I want with them and they feel great. With the Pings, spin seemed a little less predictable and they were definitely lighter, with a bit less soft feel than the Vokeys. I had the pings, sold them and bought Vokeys after getting fit.

thanks for the info guys as always .....probably going to the pings

I prefer the Ping wedges. I have tried over and over again to go back to Vokey, but the Ping wedges have a great shape and are more forgiving IMO. Also, if you like a heavier shaft, you can get DG S300 in them at no upcharge. I have been playing Ping wedges in 50*, 54*, and 58* since the first iteration of the Glides.

im also looking at the I210 OR I500 What made you go for the i210 great looking club

Swingman is absolutely right, I agree that vokeys are usually heavier than pings and that they look pretty similar.

There's a big difference: vokeys are made from 8620 carbon steel, while glides from 431ss, which makes Pings much more durable.

Β 

If you plan on keeping them for long time, definitely go with Ping.

Β 

I think we need to add that the Glide 2.0 Stealth are from 8620 steel, which improves the feel, and the 56-60 have an extra partial groove below the last full groove for more spin.

Β 

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yes, and I don't like it!

Like the old cobra trusty rusty wedges...

And I neither like the fact that they are made from 8620, I preferred the older 17/4ss, and even more when they weren't plated.

Β 

SM7 - best Vokeys to date - they have about a 123g shaft and one more swingweight - they have a bit of heft and great balance. If you relax, the heft will help you. The club will do its thing. Best to get fit to your grind. Feels heavier off the ball.

Β 

Ping Glide 2.0 - AWT 2.0 shaft is lighter by a handful of grams, lighter, quicker feel off the ball.

Β 

Both have a similar look at address - I'm looking at both as I type. I think the top of the SM7 head tapers more towards the hosel than the Ping. The Ping has a small cavity and elastomer to help feel and offer some forgiveness.

Β 

I sold my 50F, 56S, 60M -- SM7s to a Titleist Ho', and kept a D Grind bent to 59-11 to do more comparisons. I really liked the 50-08 F Grind of the SM7 and had great success with that wedge. The other 2 made me a little more uneasy off really tight lies, and when I am uneasy, I get armsy, and blow the shot. It's a personal issue. And you've got to know your tendencies to pick the right club. You must have confidence in a club until you work out your tendencies.

Β 

I am playing the Pings - I'm more agreeable with the lighter feel off the ball and my swing seems to fit the grind of the Pings more than the SM7 - I have the 50-12 Ping, the ES grind in the 56, and SS grind in the 60. I like the ES Grind out of the bunker, and the 60 SS grind works well off tight lies. The club offers a little more confidence for me and lessens my evil tendencies.

Β 

Β 

I think you described the exact reasons why I finally gave up on trying Ping wedges and went back to the Vokeys I played from roughly 2002-2011. That extra heft and the different balance takes all the "hit" out of my wedge swing, even the little bit lighter feel of the Pings lets my tempo get away from me.

• Like 1

im also looking at the I210 OR I500 What made you go for the i210 great looking club

Β 

Well, I currently play the i200 and really like them. (Waiting on delivery of the i210). I hit both the i210 and i500. The i500 was pretty good, but consistent distance was hard to come by. I hit some shots 15 yards further. I don't need distance, I need consistency. The i210s look a little cleaner and feel softer. That is a win for me considering I would have played my i200s for a few years if they had not improved on them in the i210s.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I think you described the exact reasons why I finally gave up on trying Ping wedges and went back to the Vokeys I played from roughly 2002-2011. That extra heft and the different balance takes all the "hit" out of my wedge swing, even the little bit lighter feel of the Pings lets my tempo get away from me.

Β 

You guys know you can get a heavier shaft or adjust the swing weight through Ping right?? If you like the heavier feel, order them through Ping at that weight.

Β 

The real issue with all ping wedges is that they do not spin as much as the others (when new).

But after 20 rounds, the spin more because they don't wear out (those in stainless).

Β 

Well, I currently play the i200 and really like them. (Waiting on delivery of the i210). I hit both the i210 and i500. The i500 was pretty good, but consistent distance was hard to come by. I hit some shots 15 yards further. I don't need distance, I need consistency. The i210s look a little cleaner and feel softer. That is a win for me considering I would have played my i200s for a few years if they had not improved on them in the i210s.

They do look sweet can i ask did you go though retailer or go directly though ping ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

You guys know you can get a heavier shaft or adjust the swing weight through Ping right?? If you like the heavier feel, order them through Ping at that weight.

Β 

Exactly - I like Nippon Pro Modus 115 but the AWT 2.0 are fine - plenty of spin, high wedge launch.

Β 

I bought stock Glide 2.0 Stealths and will put 2-4g of lead tape on the cavity if I want. But to get more heft, I just installed a 6 inch - 20g counterweight and all is good - did not affect my feel of the head. Performed well on the course - accurate and great stopping power.

Β 

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

They do look sweet can i ask did you go though retailer or go directly though ping ?

Β 

I went through a retailer. I like dealing with my Ping rep, but I have $300 plus my trade in value to put towards the new clubs. Just makes more sense to do it that way.

Β 

Love my i200’s and have hit some tremendous shots with them in the four rounds I have played them, but in wedges I have played the Glides and liked the 50 gap wedge better than I did the 54. The 50 was nice to have as a multi-purpose club at a useful range of distances. And it spun just fine. I hit some nice hop and stops with it.

Β 

I did not like the Ping standard grind as much as the Vokey F grind. To me the Sm7 54.14 F grind is hard to beat. Not all β€˜full’ grinds are alike and this one is just perfect to me. Excellent from turf, sand, deep grass, whatever. I had been playing a S or C type grind in that spot and the F has allowed me to hit any shot I need with a consisent feel. So good for bunp and runs.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Nothing technical from me but in June I hit Pings, Callaways, TM, and Vokey. I narrowed it down to Pings and Vokeys real quick before I ended uo with Vokeys.

Β 

I felt my shot disoersion waa much tighter with Vokeys and I think it was because the head felt heavier which I like in a wedge. Lots of options as well with grinds. I have. Zero complaints and will be buying another before next season

I did not like the Ping standard grind as much as the Vokey F grind. To me the Sm7 54.14 F grind is hard to beat. Not all β€˜full’ grinds are alike and this one is just perfect to me. Excellent from turf, sand, deep grass, whatever. I had been playing a S or C type grind in that spot and the F has allowed me to hit any shot I need with a consisent feel. So good for bunp and runs.

Β 

Substitute β€œ56” for β€œ54” and you’ve got exactly describe my experience with the current F grind. Actually I have both 52 and 56 degree SM7 F-grinds.

Β 

One shot that is very useful but I tend to struggle with is the one where I fly the ball maybe 10-15 yards, land on the front of the green and roll out another 10 yards or so. Off tight, grainy Bermuda lies the sole shape of a wedge makes all the difference and the Vokey F is β€œthe one”. That just wasn’t a reliable shot with a Ping wedge, Mizuno T7 or Callaway MD Forged.

Β 

Substitute β€œ56” for β€œ54” and you’ve got exactly describe my experience with the current F grind. Actually I have both 52 and 56 degree SM7 F-grinds.

Β 

One shot that is very useful but I tend to struggle with is the one where I fly the ball maybe 10-15 yards, land on the front of the green and roll out another 10 yards or so. Off tight, grainy Bermuda lies the sole shape of a wedge makes all the difference and the Vokey F is β€œthe one”. That just wasn’t a reliable shot with a Ping wedge, Mizuno T7 or Callaway MD Forged.

Β 

Amen brother. Substitute 20-25 yard necessary pitch off tight fairway lie and you’ve identified my nemesis. I’m more confident from deep grass with that shot than off a tight lie. I have learned it is all setup and tempo. Still a work in progress but I have learned the proper setup and technique to really reduce the bladed shot and I tried many wedges to hit it. This to me is a shot where I felt the differences. The F grind is a perfect match for me, it is stable and solid through the shot. I have found it can still be opened a touch β€” which is all I want β€” to give it that nice shallow look at address.

Β 

In Ping I do like the look of the wedges and the 60 SS is a nice option too. It is funny I really love gaming the i200’s but I am better with a more compact wedge. So I like the Glide wedge more than the i200 PW or U. (May add Glides or iBlade for a few clubs.)

Β 

As to the wedges, the Ping SS sole looks slightly flatter to me than the F grind sole and I like the Vokey’s subtle sole. For me that 54-56 club is going to get the most action of the wedges, followed by the 50-51. It is hard to find a perfect one. So I can easily see playing another F grind. These are both excellent wedge makers. An edge in forgiveness to Ping but that is not major in these clubs. Could see it helping on full swings. It really is just whatever works for the player. I am a combo Ping/Titleist guy these days and it works.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 11 months later...

> @soulciccia said:

> Yes, and I don't like it!

>

> Like the old cobra trusty rusty wedges...

>

> And I neither like the fact that they are made from 8620, I preferred the older 17/4ss, and even more when they weren't plated.

Β 

The whole point of the 8620 wedges is the softer feel. I go back and forth between vokeys and pings, and the feel of the unplated vokeys - the ones that are intended to rust - is unmatched. Very interested in the stealth version of the pings for the same reason. They haven’t released a carbon steel wedge since the rustique in ~2010, and not sure that they will do it again for the glide 3.0. The 17-4 stainless wedges may last longer, but they will never give you the same feel, even unplated.

Β 

EDIT: Just realized I posted to a year old thread. Fashionably late, as usual. Lol!

Β 

Titleist 910D2 Rombax X-type 60-S, A1 setting
Titleist 910F2 15, Rombax X-type 70-S, D1 setting
Titleist 910H 19, Rombax 8D07 S, D1 setting
Ping S56, KBS Tour 120S, 3-W
Ping Tour S 52/12, KBS Tour 120S
Ping Tour S 58 TS, KBS Tour 120S
Scotty Newport Fastback custom shop, 34", jumbo Scotty grip
Titleist Player 4 bag

Nothing wrong with Raw Comments!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5