Ladies College Championship

Yes, that was fun to watch. There was some excellent golf as well as some signs of pressure taking its toll. I'm not a huge fan of the over-exuberant celebratory screaming though.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Yep, enjoyed watching the last few days.

Some quirky putt-conceding (or lackthereof) throughout the match play though.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

> @Brass_Bullseye said:

> I was very surprised that international players outnumbered homegrown players on both teams, and each included a Chinese national. Doesn’t bode well for American women’s golf.

A couple years ago I was on one of our local practice ranges and got surrounded by a ladies golf team as they practiced. Chatted a little bit with their coach and he said that, as a result of Title 9, colleges were having a very hard time finding lady golfers to utilize the stack of scholarships. That may have something to do with it. No matter what, we've always had an eager supply of Asian kids wanting to attend college in America. I agree, though...it's very odd. As a matter of fact...just the other day I happened to bump into a lady golf coach from Stanford at my gym. Had a nice conversation about golf and how I used to sneak onto the course at Stanford when I was a kid to fish in the creek. She's a lovely Asian lady...

> @BeerPerHole said:

> > @Brass_Bullseye said:

> > I was very surprised that international players outnumbered homegrown players on both teams, and each included a Chinese national. Doesn’t bode well for American women’s golf.

> A couple years ago I was on one of our local practice ranges and got surrounded by a ladies golf team as they practiced. Chatted a little bit with their coach and he said that, as a result of Title 9, colleges were having a very hard time finding lady golfers to utilize the stack of scholarships. That may have something to do with it. No matter what, we've always had an eager supply of Asian kids wanting to attend college in America. I agree, though...it's very odd. As a matter of fact...just the other day I happened to bump into a lady golf coach from Stanford at my gym. Had a nice conversation about golf and how I used to sneak onto the course at Stanford when I was a kid to fish in the creek. She's a lovely Asian lady...

The whole "x number of women's golf scholarships go unclaimed" thing is really a myth. There is plenty of scholarship money out there for women's golf scholarships, but don't let that fool you, competition to get into the more desirable schools is fierce and there are no scholarships going unclaimed. And I'm talkin' top academic institutions as well as top athletic schools.

The Asian infiltration into American women's golf at all levels... junior, collegiate, and professional, is the result of a confluence of things starting with Se Ri Pak's (and other female Asian pros) success and popularity , the perceived opportunity, and a cultural philosophy where parents are willing to push their children to a much greater degree than your average American family. Singular pursuit of the chosen endeavor(s) is commonplace. There's a resourcefulness there that understands the unique opportunity that exists, to not just turn professional and make a living at the game, but to use the game to get a scholarship or to help gain admittance to the upper echelon of American educational institutions like the Ivy League schools.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I don’t believe there is a lack of female golfers for Division 1 golf scholarships. I believe there is a lack of female golfers for bottom 1/3 of D2 schools. Many of the teams are not fully funded for the number of scholarships they are permitted to issue.

Many international players have their education covered by their home country while attending college. Coaches love international players because they dont have to use much scholarship money for them. This allows the school to have 8 or more players on a team.

• Like 1

> @chrissdc said:

> I don’t believe there is a lack of female golfers for Division 1 golf scholarships. I believe there is a lack of female golfers for bottom 1/3 of D2 schools. Many of the teams are not fully funded for the number of scholarships they are permitted to issue.

> Many international players have their education covered by their home country while attending college. Coaches love international players because they dont have to use much scholarship money for them. This allows the school to have 8 or more players on a team.

All very true when talking about true internationals.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @BeerPerHole said:

> > > @Brass_Bullseye said:

> > > I was very surprised that international players outnumbered homegrown players on both teams, and each included a Chinese national. Doesn’t bode well for American women’s golf.

> > A couple years ago I was on one of our local practice ranges and got surrounded by a ladies golf team as they practiced. Chatted a little bit with their coach and he said that, as a result of Title 9, colleges were having a very hard time finding lady golfers to utilize the stack of scholarships. That may have something to do with it. No matter what, we've always had an eager supply of Asian kids wanting to attend college in America. I agree, though...it's very odd. As a matter of fact...just the other day I happened to bump into a lady golf coach from Stanford at my gym. Had a nice conversation about golf and how I used to sneak onto the course at Stanford when I was a kid to fish in the creek. She's a lovely Asian lady...

>

> The whole "x number of women's golf scholarships go unclaimed" thing is really a myth. There is plenty of scholarship money out there for women's golf scholarships, but don't let that fool you, competition to get into the more desirable schools is fierce and there are no scholarships going unclaimed. And I'm talkin' top academic institutions as well as top athletic schools.

>

> The Asian infiltration into American women's golf at all levels... junior, collegiate, and professional, is the result of a confluence of things starting with Se Ri Pak's (and other female Asian pros) success and popularity , the perceived opportunity, and a cultural philosophy where parents are willing to push their children to a much greater degree than your average American family. Singular pursuit of the chosen endeavor(s) is commonplace. There's a resourcefulness there that understands the unique opportunity that exists, to not just turn professional and make a living at the game, but to use the game to get a scholarship or to help gain admittance to the upper echelon of American educational institutions like the Ivy League schools.

I agree with this.

Women's tennis is the most popular female sport in the World because it has always had an American Superstar. Watching the LPGA is like watching wall paper dry because it lacks an American Superstar. I blame some of this on college coaches. Rather than trying to develop home grown talent, college coaches of the woman's game recruit a lot internationally. Americans don't really care about the international players. I root against Duke for the very reason that they had so many international students playing for them. I couldn't tell you who is even the woman's number 1 in the world right now because I really don't care. I do know it isn't an American. I really look forward to seeing what Kupcho, Pano, and Amari Avery are going to do in the woman's golf world. I really think they could make a major impact on the LPGA to where it would be exciting to watch again.

I had a conversation with my son's coach whose wife plays on the LPGA. She is an average player and at the end of the year barely breaks even. When she travels she uses the caddie provided by the LPGA and uses the LPGA housing to stay in homes of local people. My daughter will graduate from college and make more than what she is making year one out of the gate. The money just isn't there for the average person to play on the LPGA.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I just caught the final match play hole on tv and the shot played by the WF player was just horrid. I think she needed to hit a small cut around the tree in the fwy and ended double crossing it into the water. I know the pressure was immense, but I would think a player at that level could hit a cut in her sleep to at least give herself a chance.

In my opinion there are few reasons you see a lot foreigners in college golf. First we had a rise interest in golf around the world starting in the 90's. Then in 2008 the advertising money dried up this resulted in a period where a lot players retired because they simply couldn't afford to play. Golf is an expensive sport and the dip in economy also hurt juniors in America. During this time the Myth that scholarships are easy came about and we seen a big jump from other countries thinking hard work is the what is the key to success in golf.

Looking at the this years crop of seniors in college like Fassi and Kupcho along with a rising economy we will probably start to see more americans. looking at junior tournaments for girls it looks like the scores get lower every year at the big tournaments.

> @kekoa said:

> I just caught the final match play hole on tv and the shot played by the WF player was just horrid. I think she needed to hit a small cut around the tree in the fwy and ended double crossing it into the water. I know the pressure was immense, but I would think a player at that level could hit a cut in her sleep to at least give herself a chance.

I think we overestimate their level of talent. I agree it was a horrible shot, but given the scores posted all week, I’m guessing there were dozens of similar shots. Hers just happened at the worst time, with the biggest gallery, most cameras, most pressure, and a penalty area to the left.

I am currently in Scotland and stayed up to 2.15am watching, it was great golf and looking forward to the mens now.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> Siyan Liu...most annoying female in all of golf? Please ladies get it together.

she was so funny when she asked the camera man if he had ever tripped whilst walking backwards.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @BertGA said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > I just caught the final match play hole on tv and the shot played by the WF player was just horrid. I think she needed to hit a small cut around the tree in the fwy and ended double crossing it into the water. I know the pressure was immense, but I would think a player at that level could hit a cut in her sleep to at least give herself a chance.

>

> I think we overestimate their level of talent. I agree it was a horrible shot, but given the scores posted all week, I’m guessing there were dozens of similar shots. Hers just happened at the worst time, with the biggest gallery, most cameras, most pressure, and a penalty area to the left.

You are right.

There are very few girl's or woman that are truly great. If you take the top 20 (possibly even more) from each class of 8th-9th Grade males from JGS they will beat these girl's playing college golf. In fact, they would compete and win on the LPGA.

• Like 1

> @kekoa said:

> I just caught the final match play hole on tv and the shot played by the WF player was just horrid. I think she needed to hit a small cut around the tree in the fwy and ended double crossing it into the water. I know the pressure was immense, but I would think a player at that level could hit a cut in her sleep to at least give herself a chance.

Yeah...I rewound that and called my son in. He's 13 and has been learning how to work the ball. I just rewound to her setup and stopped it and asked..."What shot should she be making now?" "A fade." "What is her setup?" "A draw." (her setup was an obvious draw). Then, I pressed play. He sat down next to me to watch the rest of it. I really felt for that WF player. It's just a game. But, that must have been miserable. She's a freshman. If she shakes it off she'll be pretty good.

> @BeerPerHole said:

>

> > @kekoa said:

> > I just caught the final match play hole on tv and the shot played by the WF player was just horrid. I think she needed to hit a small cut around the tree in the fwy and ended double crossing it into the water. I know the pressure was immense, but I would think a player at that level could hit a cut in her sleep to at least give herself a chance.

>

> Yeah...I rewound that and called my son in. He's 13 and has been learning how to work the ball. I just rewound to her setup and stopped it and asked..."What shot should she be making now?" "A fade." "What is her setup?" "A draw." (her setup was an obvious draw). Then, I pressed play. He sat down next to me to watch the rest of it. I really felt for that WF player. It's just a game. But, that must have been miserable. She's a freshman. If she shakes it off she'll be pretty good.

Hard to know if it's more of a "go to" shot shape under pressure that didn't work out, but that is an awfully big stage for a freshman. She'll bounce back!

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5 Taylormade M4 16.5 Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58 Taylormade Spider S

> @BeerPerHole said:

>

> > @kekoa said:

>

> Yeah...I rewound that and called my son in. He's 13 and has been learning how to work the ball. I just rewound to her setup and stopped it and asked..."What shot should she be making now?" "A fade." "What is her setup?" "A draw." (her setup was an obvious draw). Then, I pressed play. He sat down next to me to watch the rest of it. I really felt for that WF player. It's just a game. But, that must have been miserable. She's a freshman. If she shakes it off she'll be pretty good.

Many girl's don't know how to work it both ways.

• Like 1

> @yellowlover519 said:

> I agree the lack of American stars is a huge problem for the LPGA and the purse. But these colleges are choosing their best 5 to travel regardless of race or ethnicity. American women golfers just need to get better.

There is a maximum on how many international players a team can have. I was told in the recruiting process that a lot of programs will recruit the maximum every year so they don't have to deal with the parents of Americans.

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> Siyan Liu...most annoying female in all of golf? Please ladies get it together.

For me it was her attempts to intimidate her opponents and her gamesmanship. This whole reading the green when it is your opponents turn to play is brutal..... It was in excess.... and she was by far the worst in doing this (she did it in every televised round she played), yes I get it that there is some merit in trying to keep the pace of play but her actions declared her intentions!!

If you cant beat the opponent with out the interference then you shouldn't be out there..... and really.... shame on the coaching staff for allowing that to occur, not very sportsman like at all.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

> > I agree the lack of American stars is a huge problem for the LPGA and the purse. But these colleges are choosing their best 5 to travel regardless of race or ethnicity. American women golfers just need to get better.

>

> There is a maximum on how many international players a team can have. I was told in the recruiting process that a lot of programs will recruit the maximum every year so they don't have to deal with the parents of Americans.

Uh...what? I'm stumped by that comment. Not disagreement...just basic confusion on my part...

> @BeerPerHole said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @yellowlover519 said:

> > > I agree the lack of American stars is a huge problem for the LPGA and the purse. But these colleges are choosing their best 5 to travel regardless of race or ethnicity. American women golfers just need to get better.

> >

> > There is a maximum on how many international players a team can have. I was told in the recruiting process that a lot of programs will recruit the maximum every year so they don't have to deal with the parents of Americans.

> Uh...what? I'm stumped by that comment. Not disagreement...just basic confusion on my part...

>

Exactly what I said. American parents pry. Too many helicopter parents even at the Collegiate levels. Not as much involvement by the parents of international student athletes.

> @kekoa said:

What? You have never seen a pro double cross a shot in a pressure situation? Let alone a freshman in a national championship match?

> @"Ronnie Mundt" said:

> > @kekoa said:

> What? You have never seen a pro double cross a shot in a pressure situation? Let alone a freshman in a national championship match?

>

Oh, that wasn't a double-cross. Her setup was all draw. I noted it before she hit the shot. I winced before she took the club back..."oh no! Arg!"

Anyone else confused by Kupcho's demeanor and expressions? Sometimes seems really ticked off at good shots. Hits a good shot and seems to have a really dour look on her face. Announcers mentioned that her body language seems negative. She really seems like she's not having fun sometimes. And I know she's a delightful young lady with a beautiful smile and pleasant personality based on the late night TV she did after the Augusta tourney. Just seems strange for someone so successful.