Stroke Lab Counterbalance?

crperry4

Hey guys, Im really interested in the stroke lab putters but I am a counterbalance putter guy. I play a 38” O works 7 tank right now and the combo of gripping down on the shaft with the counter weight in the butt really helps lock in my stroke.

The longest you can order the stroke lab putters is 37” which I think would work but I would not want it to be any sorter. I know the concept of the stroke lab is like CB but I still need to have extra length to grip down. Is my only option to go 37” and regrip with a longer grip?

Thanks!

PING G430 10k 9* Diamana ZF 6x
PING G425 Max 14.5* Ventus Blue 7x

PING G430 19* & 23* Ventus Blue 8x

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW Steelfiber i95 

PING Glide 4.0 50,54,60 Steelfiber i95

Odyssey White Hot Twelve 

I had the grip replaced in my stroke lab yesterday. The grip weighs 65 grams and the weight/plug that was in the end of the shaft was 40 grams. So approximately 105 grams total weight. That’s a little lighter than most counter balance setups... you can always extend and throw a different weight in the end of it. I put a 110 gram grip on mine, so it should be close in feel. Just thought I’d share the weight...a7l8w095yll7.jpeg

ufpe44guqzst.jpeg

x5kf9cp3rf30.jpeg

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

> @"Green in Reg" said:

> I had the grip replaced in my stroke lab yesterday. The grip weighs 65 grams and the weight/plug that was in the end of the shaft was 40 grams. So approximately 105 grams total weight. That’s a little lighter than most counter balance setups... you can always extend and throw a different weight in the end of it. I put a 110 gram grip on mine, so it should be close in feel. Just thought I’d share the weight...a7l8w095yll7.jpeg

> ufpe44guqzst.jpeg

> x5kf9cp3rf30.jpeg

>

Awesome, that’s really useful info! Thanks!

PING G430 10k 9* Diamana ZF 6x
PING G425 Max 14.5* Ventus Blue 7x

PING G430 19* & 23* Ventus Blue 8x

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW Steelfiber i95 

PING Glide 4.0 50,54,60 Steelfiber i95

Odyssey White Hot Twelve 

Is that the stock Pistol grip? The larger stock grip weighs 75 grams...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Thank you so much. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for someone to do this. I was going to replace my grip but everyone has cautioned me against because of the specific weight. Callaway people wouldn't tell me the weight but I think because whoever you talk to when you call has no idea.

However, is your scale off? The weight is 41 and the grip is 65. That is 106. Together it shows 105.5. Ok, splitting hairs but we are weighting grips now and .5 grams is quite a difference.

The above poster has a point. Is that the oversize grip or the pistol grip. I imagine they are of different weights.

That is much lighter than most weight balance grips. Gravity Grip is 123.7 grams.

The store people are going to think I'm nuts when I bring a scale into the store.

> @pilot25 said:

> Thank you so much. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for someone to do this. I was going to replace my grip but everyone has cautioned me against because of the specific weight. Callaway people wouldn't tell me the weight but I think because whoever you talk to when you call has no idea.

>

> However, is your scale off? The weight is 41 and the grip is 65. That is 106. Together it shows 105.5. Ok, splitting hairs but we are weighting grips now and .5 grams is quite a difference.

>

> The above poster has a point. Is that the oversize grip or the pistol grip. I imagine they are of different weights.

>

> That is much lighter than most weight balance grips. Gravity Grip is 123.7 grams.

>

> The store people are going to think I'm nuts when I bring a scale into the store.

Everything I've read has the larger grip at 75 grams with a 30 gram weight. I think anything within 10 grams either direction and you will be good. I have the Pistol grip on mine and plan to replace it with a grip in the 55-75 gram range.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

> @Pi5seeker said:

> Is that the stock Pistol grip? The larger stock grip weighs 75 grams...

No it is the oversized grip. I’ve done this twice and they both weigh the same.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

> @pilot25 said:

> Thank you so much. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for someone to do this. I was going to replace my grip but everyone has cautioned me against because of the specific weight. Callaway people wouldn't tell me the weight but I think because whoever you talk to when you call has no idea.

>

> However, is your scale off? The weight is 41 and the grip is 65. That is 106. Together it shows 105.5. Ok, splitting hairs but we are weighting grips now and .5 grams is quite a difference.

>

> The above poster has a point. Is that the oversize grip or the pistol grip. I imagine they are of different weights.

>

> That is much lighter than most weight balance grips. Gravity Grip is 123.7 grams.

>

> The store people are going to think I'm nuts when I bring a scale into the store.

Most golf shops have a scale. The scale shown belongs to the shop I took it to.

0.5 grams is nothing man. The first time I did this, the total weight was closer to 110 grams. I’m sure they have a tolerance of +/- a few grams. The epoxy might account for a small amount.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

> @"Green in Reg" said:

> > @Pi5seeker said:

> > Is that the stock Pistol grip? The larger stock grip weighs 75 grams...

>

> No it is the oversized grip. I’ve done this twice and they both weigh the same.

>

>

That's strange because there's a post on THP showing the larger grip at 72ish grams which would make sense given the +/- 3 tolerances.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

> @pilot25 said:

> What is THP?

The Hackers Paradise

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

More info can be found here. Go to 15 minutes in the video for a discussion on pulling the counter balanced stroke lab weight out with heat: 

https://www.golfwrx.com/648929/club-junkie-odyssey-ten-putter-review-and-hitting-the-new-callaway-apex-pro-irons/ 

• see 15 minute mark in the video 

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Ventus Black 6X 45" (tipped 1")
TaylorMade Stealth+ 3 Wood 15° Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 43"
Callaway Epic Hybrid 18° Tensei CK Pro White 90TX 40.5"

Taylormade P790 UDI HZRDUS Black 85X
Callaway Apex Pro '21 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100
Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 50° 54° 58° S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the weight of the oversized 10’s is also 75ish grams??? 

I want to cut my 35 inch 10 to 33 inches and replace the grip with the Garsen Edge, which weighs 73 grams. That would keep it counterbalanced if the the original is indeed 75 grams. 

thanks

Edited by Honeybadger

So, I cut 2 inches off the stroke lab shaft and weighed the oversized grip and counter weight. Here are the results. Grip 67 grams, brass weight 41 grams, 2 inch piece of graphite 4 grams. 
I wouldn’t think that 4 grams (2 inch piece of graphite) would radically change the swing weight.
I’m putting on a 73 gram garsen grip and a 30 gram counter weight to keep the counterbalance on the grip end at around 100 grams. I don’t mind it if the head feels just a tad heavier with a difference of 9 grams between the old set-up and the new. Or I could keep the 40 gram weight in and be at 1 gram more in the grip end?

4C1BD118-79E1-478E-88EA-B607EF923C45.jpeg

FB940EC7-CFB7-4A6E-BFBE-5BDAB2B99051.jpeg

A320D908-D67E-4C18-8095-C87E093B73B5.jpeg

From my findings and as evidenced by people above, the pistol grip is ~75g with a ~30g weight and the oversize grip is ~65g with a ~40g weight.

3 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

So, I cut 2 inches off the stroke lab shaft and weighed the oversized grip and counter weight. Here are the results. Grip 67 grams, brass weight 41 grams, 2 inch piece of graphite 4 grams. 
I wouldn’t think that 4 grams (2 inch piece of graphite) would radically change the swing weight.
I’m putting on a 73 gram garsen grip and a 30 gram counter weight to keep the counterbalance on the grip end at around 100 grams. I don’t mind it if the head feels just a tad heavier with a difference of 9 grams between the old set-up and the new. Or I could keep the 40 gram weight in and be at 1 gram more in the grip end?

4C1BD118-79E1-478E-88EA-B607EF923C45.jpeg

FB940EC7-CFB7-4A6E-BFBE-5BDAB2B99051.jpeg

A320D908-D67E-4C18-8095-C87E093B73B5.jpeg

Cutting off 2 inches will bring the swingweight down a fair amount, so to get the same swingweight you'll want a lighter grip and/or a heavier head.  That being said, I don't believe (not 100% sure) Odyssey changes the head weight or grip weight for different lengths, so what you did should feel similar to a stock 33" putter.  You can always get heavier weights to adjust after you get your preferred grip on there.

Edited by OakRockHacker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OakRockHacker said:

From my findings and as evidenced by people above, the pistol grip is ~75g with a ~30g weight and the oversize grip is ~65g with a ~40g weight.

Cutting off 2 inches will bring the swingweight down a fair amount, so to get the same swingweight you'll want a lighter grip and/or a heavier head.  That being said, I don't believe (not 100% sure) Odyssey changes the head weight or grip weight for different lengths, so what you did should feel similar to a stock 33" putter.  You can always get heavier weights to adjust after you get your preferred grip on there.

So, I may be better off going with the -9 gram weight option in the grip end- that may be better swing weight wise than + 1 gram in the grip end, correct? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

So, I may be better off going with the -9 gram weight option in the grip end- that may be better swing weight wise than + 1 gram in the grip end, correct? 

Yeah, that should keep it closer, albeit still lighter, to what it was previously at 35".  Roughly speaking, every inch is equal to 6 SW points, and every gram is equal to 1/2 SW point.  So you've decreased SW by 12 by cutting it down 2", and increased by 4.5 by using a 9g lighter grip, for a net of 7.5 SW decrease. 

All of that being said, calculating SW in a putter is much less important than trying it out and seeing how it feels, as static weight can have just as much of an impact on feel, so chasing a certain SW might not get you where you like it anyway (spoken from experience there).

7 minutes ago, OakRockHacker said:

Yeah, that should keep it closer, albeit still lighter, to what it was previously at 35".  Roughly speaking, every inch is equal to 6 SW points, and every gram is equal to 1/2 SW point.  So you've decreased SW by 12 by cutting it down 2", and increased by 4.5 by using a 9g lighter grip, for a net of 7.5 SW decrease. 

All of that being said, calculating SW in a putter is much less important than trying it out and seeing how it feels, as static weight can have just as much of an impact on feel, so chasing a certain SW might not get you where you like it anyway (spoken from experience there).

Thank you.

So this would all hold true with the graphite Stroke Lab shaft? I would imagine so. 

I am hoping to recreate the engineering that went into the Stroke Lab and I’m wondering if I should be “chasing swing weight” or re- creating the same counter balance differential?  Based on what you’re saying, those are mutually exclusive objectives- just like engineering and feel I suppose. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

Thank you.

So this would all hold true with the graphite Stroke Lab shaft? I would imagine so. 

I am hoping to recreate the engineering that went into the Stroke Lab and I’m wondering if I should be “chasing swing weight” or re- creating the same counter balance differential?  Based on what you’re saying, those are mutually exclusive objectives- just like engineering and feel I suppose. 

The basic swingweight theory should stay the same, it might be fractions off due to the uneven weight of the stroke lab shaft, but the same principals apply.  The technology of the Stroke Lab shaft is that they relocated a bunch of weight from the shaft to the head and grip ends, and you still have that.  You're just fine tuning the feel at this point. 

• Thanks 1

I made a longer Stroke Lab Marxman by extending a 34" putter to 37" with a graphite extension and put on a Winn 15" Counter Balance grip without the backweight. The extra length and weight from the extension and longer grip give it a great balance and feel without being as heavy overall as some of the earlier counter balance putters. I have the weight kit and tried the different weights, but actually prefer the original weight. When I choke down to where I normally play at 34" it feels like a normal putter with the added benefit of being counter balanced and the longer grip which helps me from getting too handsy or flipping my wrist. I had 25 putts with this set up last week after getting used to it.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Audia6 said:

How did you get the weight out and what diameter extension did you use?

I used a hair dryer and pliers to pull the weight out and a .600 Ultralight Graphite Shaft Extension from Golfworks.

I had an EXO Marxman that was at 34 inches that I kept in case the 37 inch Marxman did not work out, but I liked it so much I converted it to 37 inches also. Now I can't go back to regular length putters without feeling all wristy.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:03 PM, ShortSticks said:

I used a hair dryer and pliers to pull the weight out and a .600 Ultralight Graphite Shaft Extension from Golfworks.

I had an EXO Marxman that was at 34 inches that I kept in case the 37 inch Marxman did not work out, but I liked it so much I converted it to 37 inches also. Now I can't go back to regular length putters without feeling all wristy.

Thanks.  Mine, Triple Track Double Wide, was a bit different.  I removed the grip and was able to just pull the weight out with channel lock pliers.  It was only held in by two o ring rubber washers.  I had an extra Golfworks GW4000 extender, sanded it down a bit and put it in

Now is where the trouble began, the weight would not fit into the extender.  I tried reaming it out but still no luck.  I wanted to put a Flat Cat grip on it, I cut part of the cap away and inserted the weight from the top of the grip.  I adjusted the length to what I wanted allowing for the length of the weight and put the grip on.  The weight has a tapered end on it, so by ramming the grip on, the weight locked into the extender.

I Gorilla Glued the cap onto the the grip and it all came together!

• 11 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, OakRockHacker said:

Anyone know of the new (Eleven Swries) oversized grips are the same weight as the Ten Series oversized? 

• 10 months later...

Odyssey produced this chart for anyone finding their way here looking for the final results on weight.  It was posted elsewhere on WRX.  

IMG_0017.jpeg

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0