Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Bryson PXG wedges

QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching some coverage and saw it looks like he has some pxg wedges in his bag. At least I think they are wedges.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
3 iron Cobra King Utility
4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Comments

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a PXG wedge. Wonder what he did not like about the Cobras?

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno, hard to say what is going on when you are dealing with a “scientist”. Probably mad that cobra made wedges for Dufner that made fun of him.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,794 ClubWRX

Heard on yesterday's telecast that Bryson put in some new clubs (which ones weren't mentioned) to lower spin. Given that info, wedges probably make the most sense.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • Xdmike20Xdmike20 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I believe he made the switch to help with the weighting of the clubs. Have you seen the wedges he used to play with because of the one lengths? They had weld all over them and looked like crap to compensate for the extra weight

DRIVER- Cobra LTD (Ozik Black Tie)[/font][/color]
    3 WOOD- Cobra Fly-Z (Ozik White Tie)[/font][/color]
    HYBRID- Cobra Bio Cell (19* Project X)[/font][/color]
    IRONS- Cobra Pro CB 2008 (Soft stepped PX6.0)[/font][/color]
    GAP- Vokey SM4 50*[/font][/color]
    SAND- Vokey SM5 54* S grind[/font][/color]
    LOB- Vokey SM5 58* S grind[/font][/color]
    PUTTER- Odyssey O-works 1W red[/font][/color]
    BALL- Nike RZN Tour Platinum(until my stash is gone)[/font][/color]

@Xdmike20 said:
    I believe he made the switch to help with the weighting of the clubs. Have you seen the wedges he used to play with because of the one lengths? They had weld all over them and looked like crap to compensate for the extra weight

As mentioned the telecast said something about spin. That could be in connection to what you are saying. the PXG's with the tungsten screws are very easy to swing weight though.

• youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

PXG is right up his alley with the way he likes everything spec’d out.

I wonder when his cobra contract is up?

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No more Forged Tour One Length irons?

still has irons in the bag. just wedges are PXG

• wombat_vortexwombat_vortex Members Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

This looks like an odd one. Wouldn't Cobra make him anything he needed? I wonder why he didn't go back to the Edel's played before going to Cobra.

@wombat_vortex said:
    This looks like an odd one. Wouldn't Cobra make him anything he needed? I wonder why he didn't go back to the Edel's played before going to Cobra.

Any number of possible answers to this question. I don’t know what the real one is.

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like the easier to add weight idea since his wedges are probably super long. See how in the picture they are basically the same length in bag compared to his one length irons. PXG probably screwed in some real dense weights to make the swing weight right. I didn't realize even his wedges were same length.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wombat_vortex said:
    I wonder why he didn't go back to the Edel's played before going to Cobra.

One word. Money. Cobra could offer it. Edel couldn't.

• wombat_vortexwombat_vortex Members Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@wombat_vortex said:

I think you're misunderstanding my question. I know why he left Edel for Cobra, that's obvious, I'm asking what he's getting from those PXG wedges that he couldn't get from something Cobra has.
    The Cobra people can't be that happy with his move. I would guess he has some special heavier screws in those PXG for extra weight.

• munichopmunichop Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

Bryson question here. I know he studied Physics but does anyone know if he graduated with a degree? Thx.

@munichop said:
    Bryson question here. I know he studied Physics but does anyone know if he graduated with a degree? Thx.

He did not. I would actually be very interested in seeing his transcripts. I know he was a Physics major, but how many classes did he take towards that major??

@wombat_vortex said:

@grm24 said:

@wombat_vortex said:

I think you're misunderstanding my question. I know why he left Edel for Cobra, that's obvious, I'm asking what he's getting from those PXG wedges that he couldn't get from something Cobra has.
    The Cobra people can't be that happy with his move. I would guess he has some special heavier screws in those PXG for extra weight.

I don't think a very large percentage outside of here even know. They see his bag, hat, clothes, and driver. That all says Cobra. So, other than the obsessive individual like WRX'rs who legitimately even cares??

• Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Golfjack said:
    I like the easier to add weight idea since his wedges are probably super long. See how in the picture they are basically the same length in bag compared to his one length irons. PXG probably screwed in some real dense weights to make the swing weight right. I didn't realize even his wedges were same length.

Actually you need less weight in your wedges. 7 iron head has less weight than a wedge head. Since all his clubs are "7 irons" with different lofts

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • gunmetalgunmetal IdahoMembers Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

Not sure he'll be itching to leave them given his track record, but who knows.

@gunmetal said:

@QuigleyDU said:

Not sure he'll be itching to leave them given his track record, but who knows.

possibly, I don't know. I am not saying he is going to leave. I am just curious as to when he possibly could.

• williamsnrbwilliamsnrb The Golf Doctor Broken Arrow, OKMembers Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

He did not. I would actually be very interested in seeing his transcripts. I know he was a Physics major, but how many classes did he take towards that major??

He made it through 3 years. He was a junior when he turned pro I believe. If that is all true then he would have taken at least 3 calculus classes and partial differential equations, a couple of math methods for physics classes, and around 6 physics classes including your basic freshman physics w/labs, modern physics (touches on relativity, quantum, etc...), mechanics, electricity and magnetism. Senior year would be quantum, thermodynamics, and then likely a couple of physics electives. Bryson is a sharp guy. You don't pass those kinds of classes and play golf if you aren't pretty smart.

No doubt that he is a smart kid, but he is hardly a scientist. The "mad scientist" references get a bit old to me.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
    917F3 15 Diamana Blue
    818H2 19 Tensei Blue
    Mizuno MP14 2
    Mizuno MP4 4-9
    Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
    Edel 60
    (will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
    Custom Scotty Newport 2
    or
    Scotty X5R

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

He made it through 3 years. He was a junior when he turned pro I believe. If that is all true then he would have taken at least 3 calculus classes and partial differential equations, a couple of math methods for physics classes, and around 6 physics classes including your basic freshman physics w/labs, modern physics (touches on relativity, quantum, etc...), mechanics, electricity and magnetism. Senior year would be quantum, thermodynamics, and then likely a couple of physics electives. Bryson is a sharp guy. You don't pass those kinds of classes and play golf if you aren't pretty smart.

I never said he wasn't smart. I am actually a fan of him and I enjoy watching him when he gets in contention. I just wonder as others have, what is real and what isn't in regards to the genius stuff. He obviously takes a very intellectual approach to the game. No one would just do that, without at least thinking that it would be beneficial. So that infers at least a certain level of smarts.

• bmurphbmurph Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

@williamsnrb said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

No doubt that he is a smart kid, but he is hardly a scientist. The "mad scientist" references get a bit old to me.

The authority on scientists has spoken

@bmurph said:

@williamsnrb said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

The authority on scientists has spoken

haha, my 2 year old you could say is a "scientist" but I get his point.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,794 ClubWRX

@williamsnrb said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

I would say he is a scientist in the sense that he uses scientific methods in his approach to golf (and maybe everything else). He is not, however, a physicist which IMO pretty much requires a PhD.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@williamsnrb said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@munichop said:

Is there a literal line to cross to gain the title “ scientist “. Real question.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• munichopmunichop Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

BTW I think he might fancy the PXG wedges because he can remove the weights and have the swing weighting where he wants them since he wedges have linger than normal shafts.

• ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

This.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ctsgolf said:

@QuigleyDU said:

This.

He's going to look good with a bag full of PXG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file