Leupold Customer Service

12aces12aces Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever dealt with Leupold customer service on a waterproof issue with their range finders?? I recently purchased a gx-3i3 based on reviews and their outstanding customer service. Of course after only playing 2 rounds with it I accidentally dropped it in a cooler in my cart. I instantly pulled it out and water had gotten inside of it and eventually the unit wouldn't even turn on. So, I called customer service yesterday about it and was told their rangefinders are "weatherproof" (even after I stated that the box specifically said waterproof) and that they were never meant to be submerged. He is having me send it in for evaluation but I'm not sure what they're going to come back to me with. I thought the whole conversation was odd. Has anyone else ever dealt with this particular issue?

Comments

• awwwskeetskeetawwwskeetskeet Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

Top notch customer service! I bought a used Rangefinder and was having issues locking in on targets. I called and they told me to send it in, ended up getting an updated version of the rangefinder and a 5 year warranty.

• snpcrk121snpcrk121 Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

I had amazing service from Leupold. I had a 4 year old Leupold GX-3i that just stopped working. I submitted a service order online, they told me to ship it in, I shipped it, and a few weeks later I received a brand new GX-3i. I was hoping to just get it repaired or get a coupon for a new one...so the brand new rangefinder was completely unexpected and pretty awesome.

• 12aces12aces Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

Great to hear, considering how much these things cost. I was just a little confused with the whole "waterproof" vs "weatherproof" comment. It was almost as if he was giving Leupold an out. Thanks guys.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience Leupold CS is great. My buddy and I both got brand new range finders when we sent ours in with intermittent issues. A 3rd sent in a GX2i, was well out of warranty, but they gave him a GX4i2 at a very big discount.

I could not even get Bushnell to pick up the phone or reply to an email when I had an issue. Eventually realized I had just changed it to meters from yards, but the complete lack of response was enough to sell it.

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭

I have a leupold range finder that is almost 15 years Old. Works as well today as it did when i first got it. Had a friend thatvhad a newer model and had an issue and they sent him a new one. Heard that their cs is top notch!

• 360flip360flip Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

I had a Leupold range finder die and I sent it in and they replaced it with the current season version of the model that died. Great customer service.

• haakzillahaakzilla Haakzilla Members Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 17, 2019 4:43pm #8

Their own website says, "Tested to extreme climate conditions and guaranteed to be completely waterproof." However, when you read their warranty you can easily see why you wouldn't be covered (see below). Because they are an outstanding company and tend to go above and beyond for their customers you will still likely be taken care of one way or another...good luck!

Warranty Exclusions:
    These warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication.

DRIVER: Ping G400 LST 8.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70tx
    WOOD: Titleist 910Fd 15° Diamana D+ LTD 80x / TEE EX10 18° Diamana D+ 80x
    UTILITY: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3i 19° Steelfiber i110
    IRONS: Srixon z945 4-PW Steelfiber i110
    WEDGES: Edel DVR 50°/54°/58° Steelfiber i125
    PUTTER(S): TP Mills Forged Huey / Bettinardi Queen B QB5 / Studio Select Squareback No.2
    Sponsored by Central Oregon Golf
  • TwoheyTwohey SoCalMembers Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

Recently sent in my GX-3i2 because the led display died. It was only 3-4 years old, but outside their 2 yr warranty.

Leupold CS was easy to deal with, but pretty much offered 60% off their MSRP on a new one of my choice. From other threads, it seems this is what they now offer for out-of-warranty items.

As far as I'm concerned, the box clearly states "waterproof" not "water resistant" or as the CS rep put it "weatherproof". I thought it was pretty cut and dry when I purchased it but we'll see. You would think a $600 + rangefinder would actually be waterproof.

• eddie_maxeddie_max Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Leupold customer service is the main reason I never buy Bushnell. Leupold will replace your broken rangefinder with the exact model or equal model if they are in a new cycle year of products. They will also offer you 60% off MSRP if you would like to upgrade to a higher end model. Top notch company.

• swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

• 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • haakzillahaakzilla Haakzilla Members Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 4:57pm #13

@12aces said:
    As far as I'm concerned, the box clearly states "waterproof" not "water resistant" or as the CS rep put it "weatherproof". I thought it was pretty cut and dry when I purchased it but we'll see. You would think a $600 + rangefinder would actually be waterproof.

...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler with some ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own 'clumsy' error ****

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19027921#Comment_19027921

Post edited by haakzilla on
    DRIVER: Ping G400 LST 8.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70tx
    WOOD: Titleist 910Fd 15° Diamana D+ LTD 80x / TEE EX10 18° Diamana D+ 80x
    UTILITY: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3i 19° Steelfiber i110
    IRONS: Srixon z945 4-PW Steelfiber i110
    WEDGES: Edel DVR 50°/54°/58° Steelfiber i125
    PUTTER(S): TP Mills Forged Huey / Bettinardi Queen B QB5 / Studio Select Squareback No.2
    Sponsored by Central Oregon Golf
    edited Jul 18, 2019 1:18am #14

@haakzilla said:

@12aces said:

...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler full of ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own boneheaded error ;)

Sorry man, but IMO if you put "waterproof" on the box of your $600 plus rangefinder and its not waterproof, that shouldn't be on me. All that says to me is that they're doing some serious false advertising. This has nothing to do with entitlement. My go Pro is actually "waterproof". So are you saying if I take it in the water and submerge it, i'm a bonehead? I'm not sure I'm following your logic. Also, no need for the wink faces. I think we're all grown adults here.

Edit: and lets not exaggerate, I never said cooler full of ice/water. There was water in it, but it was never fully submerged at any point.

• ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@haakzilla said:

@12aces said:

...see post above for their warranty exclusions, which are very cut and "dry" -- you already admitted to have misused the rangefinder by accidentally damaging it in a cooler full of ice/water -- they will take care of you the best they can, but please don't feel entitled to be compensated for your own boneheaded error ****

You should probably brush up on the difference between waterproof and water resistant. In all theory, that waterproof rangefinder should be able to be tossed into a lake, fished out and work with zero issues.

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2019 3:43pm #16

I have to agree that if something is listed as being waterproof, dropping it in ice water really does not constitute accidental damage or misuse in my book. At best it's pretty extreme testing though...lol!

• DloSDloS Members Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I had a gx-4i **** out on me. Brought it back to the brick and mortar I bought it from and they sent it back to Leupold. They couldn't fix it so they sent me a new GX-4i2 free of charge. Customer service is top notch!

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade M2 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S
    Callaway XR 3W w/ Diamana Kai'li 70S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* w/ Oban Revenge Hybrid 85 04
    Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW, 48* w/ Aerotech Players Spec AMI99
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*S/58*K w/ KBS 610 S
    Odyssey O-Works 3T[/font]
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dude..... Countless people tell you Leupold has outstanding customer service and you insist on whining about how the Waterproof language somehow guarantees that you will get your "abused " rangefinder replaced. Relax and report back after you give the company a chance to get you squared away... Not one person has said a negative word about Leupold.

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X

Think you might want to re read the comments. I haven’t “whined” at all. I was merely asking/ discussing the language on the box vs what I was being told by CS. I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this. Then the name calling started by another. And stop with the abuse stuff. The rangefinder doesn’t have a single scratch on it. The box has been sent back, and I’ve lost zero sleep over this. I think you’re the one who might need a beer and chill out.

@Tzoid said:
    Dude..... Countless people tell you Leupold has outstanding customer service and you insist on whining about how the Waterproof language somehow guarantees that you will get your "abused " rangefinder replaced. Relax and report back after you give the company a chance to get you squared away... Not one person has said a negative word about Leupold.

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair to the OP, it does say waterproof on the website. Other than that, I have no comment other than keep it away from ponds, coolers, and standing water!

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • mccomasg09mccomasg09 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Did they ever end up taking care of you? Interested if their customer service is still as good as it has been represented on these forums for years.

• 1t2golf1t2golf Marshals Posts: 3,298 mod

@swgolf12 said:
    Leupold is the best. I got a GX4i and it only came with the slope lens. The mailed me out the USGA conforming one at no cost. Top notch.

Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1t2golf said:

@swgolf12 said:

Was this recent? There policy must have changed. A friend of mine inquired about getting a replacement slope face plate for a GX-4i3 a couple of months ago. He was told it would be around $20 to purchase.

This was 2014 or 2015, I was also the shop manager of a golf shop so that might have had something to do with the courtesy.

• 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 2:30pm #24

@1t2golf said:

@swgolf12 said:

I lost my non-slope one as well, was given a new one free (some 2-3 years ago). I can see why the slope one might be $$ since it has the little chip in. It will actually function (without slope) without any face plate.

With that being said, can't say anything bad about Leupold CS. I sold my perfectly fine Bushnell after multiple calls/emails went unanswered.

Still waiting to hear back. It arrived back at Leupold on 7/24. Then got an email on 7/30 that stated "We estimate your product to be completed in 18 working days".

• 1t2golf1t2golf Marshals Posts: 3,298 mod

@swgolf12 said:

@1t2golf said:

@swgolf12 said:

This was 2014 or 2015, I was also the shop manager of a golf shop so that might have had something to do with the courtesy.

@Krt22 said:

@1t2golf said:

@swgolf12 said:

I lost my non-slope one as well, was given a new one free (some 2-3 years ago). I can see why the slope one might be $$ since it has the little chip in. It will actually function (without slope) without any face plate.

With that being said, can't say anything bad about Leupold CS. I sold my perfectly fine Bushnell after multiple calls/emails went unanswered.

Appreciate the responses.

@Krt22, I also stopped buying Bushnell products years ago due to their poor CS and failed products.

Apologies to the OP for taking this a bit off topic.

Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file