New Titleist T100 iron vs AP2

playgolf111

The new T100 are on the Titleist web page since today. I would like to know how forgiving they are compared to the AP2 irons. No word there only "Forged to suit the player’s eye. T100 inspires daring, imaginative play with precise distance, Tour-level shaping and signature Titleist feel. Designed to help the best players score lower".

I played the original AP2, 712, 714 and currently the AP2 716. Find the 716 forgiving for a mid-handicapper like me. Was fitted with the TT XP 95 shaft that works very well.

If someone had the chance to test them against the AP2 please give us your opinion.

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

Titleist C16 Limited 5-GW

Titleist Vokey SM9 54° & 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Special Select

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @JStang said:

> I read that they shrunk the blade size to match up to the 620 CB. I doubt it's going to be much more forgiving, if at all.

I think that they reduced the offset a bit as well. I happen to like offset in an iron (but not Ping G offset).

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Had a hit of them earlier, albeit in a net. Blade length was definitely shorter, and the top line was a massive improvement on the 716, and even narrower than the 718. Feel was OK for a CB, nothing really to report there, and they were going around 10 yards shorter than my VR Pros. Don;t know if I'd play them myself, but wouldn't be disappointed if they ended up in a rental bag I was using.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @JStang said:

> I read that they shrunk the blade size to match up to the 620 CB. I doubt it's going to be much more forgiving, if at all.

> @bodhi555 said:

> Had a hit of them earlier, albeit in a net. Blade length was definitely shorter, and the top line was a massive improvement on the 716, and even narrower than the 718. Feel was OK for a CB, nothing really to report there, and they were going around 10 yards shorter than my VR Pros. Don;t know if I'd play them myself, but wouldn't be disappointed if they ended up in a rental bag I was using.

I really thought my 716 CB was as forgiving as 714/716/718 AP2 (have played with all). Watched some tests with T100 - exactly the same numbers you'd get with 718 AP2. Not worth the extra $$ over 718 and not as good looking IMO. FWIW I find my MP5 just as easy to use as AP2. I really don't see much in the forgiveness once you get to this kind of iron.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @JStang said:

> > I read that they shrunk the blade size to match up to the 620 CB. I doubt it's going to be much more forgiving, if at all.

>

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > Had a hit of them earlier, albeit in a net. Blade length was definitely shorter, and the top line was a massive improvement on the 716, and even narrower than the 718. Feel was OK for a CB, nothing really to report there, and they were going around 10 yards shorter than my VR Pros. Don;t know if I'd play them myself, but wouldn't be disappointed if they ended up in a rental bag I was using.

>

> I really thought my 716 CB was as forgiving as 714/716/718 AP2 (have played with all). Watched some tests with T100 - exactly the same numbers you'd get with 718 AP2. Not worth the extra $$ over 718 and not as good looking IMO. FWIW I find my MP5 just as easy to use as AP2. I really don't see much in the forgiveness once you get to this kind of iron.

Welcome to the dark side. : D

> @balls_deep said:

> > @JStang said:

> > I read that they shrunk the blade size to match up to the 620 CB. I doubt it's going to be much more forgiving, if at all.

>

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > Had a hit of them earlier, albeit in a net. Blade length was definitely shorter, and the top line was a massive improvement on the 716, and even narrower than the 718. Feel was OK for a CB, nothing really to report there, and they were going around 10 yards shorter than my VR Pros. Don;t know if I'd play them myself, but wouldn't be disappointed if they ended up in a rental bag I was using.

>

> I really thought my 716 CB was as forgiving as 714/716/718 AP2 (have played with all). Watched some tests with T100 - exactly the same numbers you'd get with 718 AP2. Not worth the extra $$ over 718 and not as good looking IMO. FWIW I find my MP5 just as easy to use as AP2. I really don't see much in the forgiveness once you get to this kind of iron.

Agreed. It doesn't matter what club I've hit, if I hit the toe I'm going to come up about 10 yards short of my intended target. Forgiveness is overrated.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Honestly each new model of AP2 they have just made the profile a tad smaller and moved weight around to add more tungsten to the tow and heel area of the club. Performance wise I really do not think there is much of a difference between the 710s through the 718s, and if there is it is minimal at best. The AP2s are fantastic irons and I really think Titleist is just trying to create a new name for an the AP2s they have been building since 2008. Again, minimal at best performance change with the new T100s but definitely a much higher price tag! If you fancy a newer set over your 716s, try a new/newer set of 718s at way less money.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 923F 4-P DG 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

Titleist AVX Ball

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @JStang said:

> > > I read that they shrunk the blade size to match up to the 620 CB. I doubt it's going to be much more forgiving, if at all.

> >

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > Had a hit of them earlier, albeit in a net. Blade length was definitely shorter, and the top line was a massive improvement on the 716, and even narrower than the 718. Feel was OK for a CB, nothing really to report there, and they were going around 10 yards shorter than my VR Pros. Don;t know if I'd play them myself, but wouldn't be disappointed if they ended up in a rental bag I was using.

> >

> > I really thought my 716 CB was as forgiving as 714/716/718 AP2 (have played with all). Watched some tests with T100 - exactly the same numbers you'd get with 718 AP2. Not worth the extra $$ over 718 and not as good looking IMO. FWIW I find my MP5 just as easy to use as AP2. I really don't see much in the forgiveness once you get to this kind of iron.

>

> Welcome to the dark side. : D

Thing is, if you miss hit the AP2, you lose quite a bit of elevation kind of like a blade or one piece CB. It’s forgiving out the toe compared to a blade for sure but I don’t really hit it from the toe. There is no denying whatsoever that a bad ball striker gets help from something like a Ping g. If you aren’t able to hit down on the ball with speed an SGI will get you the elevation you need to play golf. For ME there is no difference between most of the clubs in this bracket but that is for MY misses. For many, including scratch players, big SGI irons or players CBs make a really big difference in scoring. Whether that is just perceived or real I’m not sure. At the end of the day, the AP2/T100 is a good set of sticks.

There is no denying the 718 AP2 is a gorgeous golf club. I think they took a step backwards with the T100. Maybe that plus the difference in price would be enough to sway my vote. I've played the 714 then the 718s before moving to TM p770s for a better ball flight. Dang I miss those 718s. Picking them up on the cheap is mighty tempting.

Well now I'm rethinking my comments as it seems as though they've done away with some offset which was an issue for me on AP2. Felt a little draw bias for me. My MP5s are straight to baby fade which I love for control. Seems Crossy has cashed in his MBs for the T100. I wondered why he didn't play AP2 from the outset. I'd say they're pretty good stick as he's very honest in his review of Titleist and other products.

> @httr said:

> There is no denying the 718 AP2 is a gorgeous golf club. I think they took a step backwards with the T100. Maybe that plus the difference in price would be enough to sway my vote. I've played the 714 then the 718s before moving to TM p770s for a better ball flight. Dang I miss those 718s. Picking them up on the cheap is mighty tempting.

Definitely gonna be on the watch for good deals

Man, I really am considering ordering a set of 718's while I still can custom order... I regret selling my 716's. I love my Apex Pro's, and think they are actually a tad softer, but AP2 have always been my thing.

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE THOSE TWO IRONS*.

*titleist says so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

• 1 month later...

Been playing AP2 714s for a while now and decided it was time. Took delivery of my T100s this week, custom fitted with the same Project X 5.0 shafts. Awesome clubs! Only played them twice so far but can confirm that the T100s are just as forgiving as my AP2s. What I like about the AP2s is their super straight ball flight and consistent distance. The T100s do the same with a softer feel and approx full club distance increase. Also they are slightly easier to shape and have a better sound to my ears…they crack when you hit em pure. Not sure how the 718s compare, but after only a few uses I can say that the T100s have justifiable differences over the older 714s.

> @SSFP said:

> The T100s do the same with a softer feel and approx full club distance increase. Also they are slightly easier to shape and have a better sound to my ears…they crack when you hit em pure. Not sure how the 718s compare, but after only a few uses I can say that the T100s have justifiable differences over the older 714s.

Do u find t100s flight any higher? Did u try t200s in the long irons at all? Surprising t100s go a club longer than 714s... I’m looking for touch more height and spin but same forgiveness and distance

Hi all!

I have also made the change from 714 AP2 to the T100. Didn’t think I would replace my AP2’s for a while as I was very happy with them. I tried both the 716 AP2 and the 718 AP2 during their release, but the T100 was a totally different experience. Sound, feel and ball flight is amazing! I received my clubs last Friday and really think they look so much better in real life. I ordered 5-PW with Project X LZ 5.5 shafts and a TS3 23degree hybrid set to 24 degree as a 4-iron replacement.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10 GD IZ-6S
Titleist TSi2 FW 16.5 Ventus Red 7S
Titleist 913fd 18 Diamana Ltd Red 60S
Titleist 720 T-200 4 PX LZ 5.5
Titleist 720 T-100 5-PW PX LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 F50.08 PX LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 S54.10 PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 M58.12 PX LZ 6.0
Titleist 2021 SC Phantom X5.5 /34"

I'm going from the 712 AP2 to the T100 in 5-PW and can't wait to get them out on the course. It seems like for some people going from the 718 AP2 to the T100 may not make the most sense, but coming from the 712 AP2 it will definitely be an upgrade for me.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I compared my trusty 714 AP2s with the new T-100 out doors, with trackman, and concluded the following:

The T-100 look better, a lot better, behind the ball. Very bladelike.

I get three to five extra yards with the T-100s. Not enough to really matter. They also hit the ball a bit higher, by about a yard on average.

Forgiveness seems to be a wash but I didn't miss enough shots to know for sure.

The 714s were pretty beat up so I ordered a set of T-100s.

Steve

I'm someone who loves the 718 AP2 but am really pushing my personal boundaries in terms of forgiveness in the ease-of-elevation and dealing with tight lies aspects. I hit them fine but getting up into the 6 and 5 irons slight mishits launch pretty low and I really don't want to hit the longer irons at all heavy.

So the new range doesn't really have a direct 718 AP2 replacement, does it? Looks to me like T100 is going to be a notch lower in the sole width, leading edge relief and low CG aspects. But the T200 is going to have strong lofts and hot faces, right?

I might have to get a decade out of my AP2's the way I did with my old DCI 990's back in the day. But it was a lot easier with those indestructible cast stainless steel clubs than with these shiny new forged beasties.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm someone who loves the 718 AP2 but am really pushing my personal boundaries in terms of forgiveness in the ease-of-elevation and dealing with tight lies aspects. I hit them fine but getting up into the 6 and 5 irons slight mishits launch pretty low and I really don't want to hit the longer irons at all heavy.

>

> So the new range doesn't really have a direct 718 AP2 replacement, does it? Looks to me like T100 is going to be a notch lower in the sole width, leading edge relief and low CG aspects. But the T200 is going to have strong lofts and hot faces, right?

>

> I might have to get a decade out of my AP2's the way I did with my old DCI 990's back in the day. But it was a lot easier with those indestructible cast stainless steel clubs than with these shiny new forged beasties.

I'd find a place where you can hit the T-100s. They're about as forgiving as the AP'2s that I had, they go through the turf better than my 714 AP2s and they look much better. It can't hurt to try them.

Steve

Played a few more rounds with the T100s. 4-6 irons are flying higher and longer than the AP2s. Game changer for me. The shorter irons seem the same. They all drop & stop. I must admit that I switched from ProV1 to the tp5x ball which goes a bit further and has a similar feel. No, I didn’t try the T200s but did get fitted for a U500 3-iron…easy to hit and control. Get a Trackman iron fitting if possible. It works!