Bandon - Late March/Early April

That's one of the best times to go IMO. You can't really predict the rain. I've been in February and only had rain for one day.

Last time I was there was end of April and this was what we had. New photo by John Vincent

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

My favourite Bandon weather video is below. These guys get a prize.

I've been in April and it rained VERY HARD for the first two holes and then zero for the rest of the trip. Mostly blue skies.

But no jokes, it was about a 4-5 club wind the entire time except the last day on BD. "Only" a 3 club wind for the last round.

Second round on PD, hole 11 par 3, IIRC we had about ~140 yards and I hit a 5 iron (usually my 200-205 club) pin high right of the flag. It was fun but the walk was exhausting.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I’ve gone the last weekend in March/start of April the last four years. A couple short sprinkles one day during one round at Old Mac. And rain one afternoon. But I had already finished my morning round. And cancelled my afternoon tee time. People that I know that played Bandon a week later the last couple years, got dumped on. Hopefully my luck will hold up this year. But my good fortune can’t last forever.

And bring cold weather gear. One year it it was in the 30’s in the morning. I packed all my rain gear, but no base layers or fleece. All the shops were well stocked, just don’t expect to find many bargains. And each shop carries some things that are different from the other shops.

@tad950 - I think you got really lucky, but i think anyone going to Bandon needs a bit of luck. Seems to be a crapshoot no matter when you go. I hear you will get less rain in the summer, but the winds will howl harder... so who knows.
Re: Layers... this is the best golf sweater I have ever purchased. Sadly, they don't make it anymore. It has a liner in it that keeps the wind off you and then the sweater to keep you warm. When the temp is in the high 40s, low 50s, I can wear just a golf shirt, no problem. If it's in the 30s/40s, an under armor turtle neck and that is perfect. I think FootJoy makes one as well, or at least did. I would pick one up for your next trip. Makes it a lot easier to swing without a ton of layers.
Mens Mizuno Burgandy Windproof Lined Pullover 1/4 Zip Golf Sweater Sz Med NEW | eBay

Last two years have gone at that time of the year and first year we had no rain with moderate wind and weather was perfect. Last year we had heavy rain and wind first day, second day was morning rain and then afternoon sun, third day was a monsoon ... Like people have said before you need a little luck for good weather but either way it’s an awesome property and you’ll have a blast ... Bring good rain gear and a couple of pairs of shoes ... They will dry you rain gear for you in between rounds if you have time which is nice ...

We've only gone once at the end of March. I kind of felt it was no mans land with regard to weather, daylight, and course conditions. It's become either end of February, which is just go for it on the cheap, get 36 in (assuming no weather delays), and be prepared for any and every bad weather scenario. Or, end of April, still "affordable", but the extra daylight and warmer conditions make it worth it.

That being said, we had terrible winds in April. I'd almost rather deal with heavy rain.

In general, I say go as late as your schedule/budget will allow. But know that if it's not frost, it'll be rain, or wind, or hail, or both. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

That's why I posted the video earlier.

I go every year last week of March and it is great. You will probably get a little wet on one or 2 days but its not that big a deal. Part of the experience and if you have good rain gear and a pair of rain gloves, who cares. Cannot emphasize enough the importance of good rain gear. Don't take a trip of the life time like this with crappy rain gear. I have Galvin Green Gortex pants and jacket and it is worth every penny and lasts decades.

• Like 1

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

Galvin Green are the top end of rain gear.

I upgraded a couple of years ago to a pair of SunIce pants. Much lighter and less baggy than the old Nike ones than they replaced.

A buddy and I went the last weekend in March in 2017, I think it was a Friday-Sunday. We played 18-36-18, and we got at least some rain every day. The first day, it was raining when we started, it stopped after a hole or two, came back with a vengeance on around the 8th/9th hole, and then it pretty well stopped, and just blew about 30mph the rest of the afternoon. The second day was pretty nice for most of the day -- it spit on us a couple times in the morning, but it wasn't bad at all, and the wind was probably 15-25 mph throughout the day. The last day, it was very windy for most of the morning round on Trails, but it didn't really start to rain until the last hole, when it absolutely opened up an poured the hardest it had all weekend, and the wind cranked up to an insane degree. We both hit what we thought were good tee shots, but once the wind got ahold of them, it just threw them 75 yards right. My rain paints just completely gave up at that point, too. They'd worked fine the rest of the week, but finally had enough on the last hole, which I guess is the best time for that kind of thing to happen. I've got some Galvin Green gear now, so I should be covered next time. Temps ranged from the low 40s in the mornings to close to 60 at the warmest point on the second day. As I understand it, this was pretty typical weather for that time of year.

It was a bit of an adventure at times, but it's a lot of fun if you go in with the right state of mind. You're probably not going to shoot the best score of your life, but if you embrace the challenge of playing creative shots, it's a hell of a lot of fun. To give an example, on Pacific Dunes, the 10th and 11th holes are back to back par 3s. One was playing about 190 yards and the other was playing about 135. I hit PW on the 190 yard hole (and went past the flag), and 4 iron on the short one, and hit the green with both shots. I really want to go back soon.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 2 weeks later...

We went late April of 2018 and the weather was great. It was windy though (basically always is), but we didn't see any rain. We arrived Thursday and the weekend before up until Tuesday the weather was terrible from what they told us. We got the good side of the weather and played as much golf as we could (36 holes most days cause the replay rate is excellent). The last day was 72 and I played in shorts which I brought just hoping I would use. I heard the following weekend after we left sucked, so it really is just a guess. We got great weather and played for a discount and didn't pay summer rates. I heard the best time is actually September and October when the wind is down somewhat. The wind will destroy you after a few days, but the resort, staff, and experience is top notch.

To me best course is still Bandon Dunes. Pacific Dunes is great, but has a few weird holes. Old McDonald is incredibly fun and Bandon Trails changes from hole to hole but is an excellent course. The par 3 course is a complete blast, definitely do that. The lodging and food is great also, world class.

GG rain pants are worth the expense. I have a Scottish guy in my men’s club who you can barely understand but I heard him when he told me to buy Galvin Greene because his are 20 years old and keep his arse dry!

last March my group had 6 guys. 4 had a great time and 2 said they wouldn’t go again. Guess who had crappy rain gear? You have to embrace the conditions whatever they are. We had 2 days w wet conditions (but not stupid windy) and 2 days in shorts. It’s part of the experience. It’s the most amazing place

take 3 Pr of shoes and change your socks every round and a pedicure is not a bad idea the week before you go. I lost 2 toenails but played 36, 36, 54, 18 last year. Only took 10 clubs and carried my bag entire trip & broke 80 4 of the 8 rounds

We just got our tee times today for our trip next month. Cannot wait!

• Like 1

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0