Opportunity to be hosted at Sleepy Hollow and Winged foot East and west

No no not at all. I'm a 26 year old avid golfer on a budget. As I just started my career in marketing. This will be my vacation, I just need to save up. Sleepy hollow will be no prob with the guest fee. I just know winged foot is a bit pricier. I'll be flying from Dallas and the flights are extremely affordable. I guess my question is, do I just go all out and play 36 at winged foot. I know it's so prestigious. I just wanted some insight. Sorry if this seemed douchey

Ok that helps clarify, but it wasn't much of a question. Is your friend sponsoring you unaccompanied or is he a member that will play with you? Is he asking you pay your guest fee/caddie fee? WF recently has allowed unaccompanied play on Mondays sponsored by a member I believe, is this what your friend is allowing you to do? That is very pricey. Budgets are real and in these times we have to prioritize our budgets. Being 26 you will get more opportunities to play golf, particularly as you get older and are in a better place financially. So in short if you can afford it now, it is a no brainer yes. However, there is no rush as opportunities to play golf will happen as you get older or join your own club. Being only 26 I don't see a reason to pay big unaccompanied fees and would wait until the next chance rolls around.

I have played both places and really like SH, but the history of WF makes that a winner especially considering it is 36 holes.

I’ve always jumped at the opportunity when they present themselves as I never know if it could happen again. That being said you need to make sure it fits the budget or you can make some future sacrifices to make it happen.

knowing that you are the guest, maybe ask your member his preference on 36 at WF (would it be in the same day or consecutive). Sounds like an amazing trip and great connection you have.

@bjenn4242
#1 - PLAY all of them, take the opportunity. Yes you are young, but those are two heavy hitting opportunities that may never come around again. Bird in hand. Who knows, next time you get the opportunity (if) , you’ll likely be strapped for other reasons- wife, kids, jumbo mortgage, etc. It happens quick, haha. I consider myself a conservative (and frugal) guy, but YOLO on this one. Don’t go into debt for it or take food off the table, but find a way to make it happen. In the long run, the cost will be inconsequential. If this is something that will enrich your life and not compromise your 5 Year outlook , go for it.
Assuming he knows you will be flying in , along with being planned so far in advance, it sounds like it could be awkward for you to play SH, then only one of the WF course when he has planned all 3....citing budget reasons. As others have said, he probably senses that you are at a point where a budget matters so good chance would be covering your cost. When invited to private clubs, I never assume It will be a free ride but Wouldn’t be surprised in your case. FWIW, when I invite people to play at my club that I expect to pay, I usually say something like “Would you like to come play on Tuesday, the guest fee is $110” I’ve heard the same as well and if I am intend to cover someone’s cost I just invite them out to host them and let them know I will be covering cost. Being budget conscious myself, I find most people appreciate the frankness. Then again, I’ve also interacted with some high rollers that truly just don’t think about the fact that someone may be stretched for a trip like that. Don’t blink at a $1,000 variable , prob the same way some of us wouldn’t worry too much about a $20 swing. Anyway, as you do plan your “worst case” scenario budget consider accounting for your hosts caddie fee (as well as your own, obviously) if he does cover your green fee, which is always a classy gesture/thank you. A quick and non-tacky way to find out his intention is to simply ask what the guest fees are - easier done right away when invited, but still can be asked. Get crafty - “should I plan to bring cash to cover my fee or does the course take credit card” if he intends to cover, he will likely tell you then.

What a great opportunity. I haven't played either, but, did caddie for a Summer at Sleepy Hollow back in 1966. It is a beautiful piece of property. I was very young at the time and not a golfer, yet. The natural beauty impressed me enough to get interested in golf. I hope you enjoy the round and share some details afterward for those of us that have it on "the list".

Good advice here, although he wouldn't have told you the guest fee if he didn't expect you to pay. Most people would make it obvious that you are paying if they expected you to at private clubs. Agree 100% you should cover caddie fee of your host if he pays your guest fee. Also bring a gift for him and present to him afterwards which is a nice way to say thank you and to stay in touch. Most wealthy people I have played with don't act like Donald Trump, they are normal guys and appreciate courtesy just like us. Enjoy.

Thanks everyone. It's once in a life time, I'm doing it all. I have a good job but still on a budget, but this is once in a lifetime. Luckily I'm single, no kids and no debt, you guys have convinced me.

we're doing the original 18 at hollow and East and west same day at the foot. Done deal. Thanks guys

Have fun. Here are links to photo tours to get you psyched.https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157700100727845 - Sleepy Hollow 2018https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157634369071026 - Sleepy Hollow 2013https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631862204690 - Sleepy Hollow 2008

Winged Foot East Course - Winged Foot Easthttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157700065506905 Winged Foot West

sleepy-hollow-2316-par-3-184.jpg

winged-foot-west-2318-pitch-to-green-059.jpg

winged-foot-east-2315-y-short-par-4-approach-over-hazard-010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Texas as well and if you are seriously tight on cash for this experience...    DM me.. I will cover it and we can settle up when you are in better shape.  

I am a man of experiences not stuff and this is an experience that you should have given the invite - while it may be a little rich at the time - its a drop in the bucket long term.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, david.c.w said:

Are you sure your host is expecting you to pay? Generally speaking if he is in the echelon to belong to WF he would cover everything. Of course there are exceptions but given your situation (26/young/poor and flying to get there) I am surprised he is not covering everything.

Agreed, I've never played a country club and had to pay a dime and I'm not talking Winged Foot echelon.  Even if he pays, I guarantee you there is some way for him to write off all the expenses and be 'reimbursed' and have $0 out of pocket.

What are you going to do? Paypal him after the round LMAO

On 8/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, nlinneman20 said:

Agreed, I've never played a country club and had to pay a dime and I'm not talking Winged Foot echelon.  Even if he pays, I guarantee you there is some way for him to write off all the expenses and be 'reimbursed' and have $0 out of pocket.

What are you going to do? Paypal him after the round LMAO

It's precisely these types of attitudes of entitlement is why I'm suspicious about requests to play at my courses, and generally deny them. Here are some tips to get invited to good clubs: 1) offer to pay  2) a precise reason of why to play, 3) a good reputation where it's known that you belong to XYZ club and give XYZ gifts for holidays to staff, etc... You cultivate these traits and you'll start getting along much better with the types of members at these places. Or at least me and the people I golf with. 

Bottom line: I do not host people where there is even the slightest concern about stinginess or selfishness on the course. Period. I will not ever vouch for that person. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, luvxfinity said:

It's precisely these types of attitudes of entitlement is why I'm suspicious about requests to play at my courses, and generally deny them. Here are some tips to get invited to good clubs: 1) offer to pay  2) a precise reason of why to play, 3) a good reputation where it's known that you belong to XYZ club and give XYZ gifts for holidays to staff, etc... You cultivate these traits and you'll start getting along much better with the types of members at these places. Or at least me and the people I golf with. 

Bottom line: I do not host people where there is even the slightest concern about stinginess or selfishness on the course. Period. I will not ever vouch for that person. 

very well said 

19 hours ago, luvxfinity said:

's precisely these types of attitudes of entitlement is why I'm suspicious about requests to play at my courses, and generally deny them.

Totally agree with your statement that if someone asks to play your course and they automatically expect you to pay, they are not the kind of guest you want to host.  My view on this situation is that OP is young and broke, and we all know that the WF member is not broke.  Of course don't know the exact situation, but I would be surprised if the WF member expects to be paid.  Like @nlinneman20 said, is he going to Venmo him? 

Payment to WF member - $500 ??        ????

No, bring cash and insist on paying. If the host refuses, give the greens fees money to the bag guys. I don't think being a recent college grad merits skimping out and expecting someone else to pay. If your budget does not allow it DO NOT GO and DO NOT TAKE CHARITY. It's just an admittance to personal incompetence, but being responsible and generous will lead you to other opportunities. 

Do I face this question> Yes, with friends with jets I kick in (and know the actual costs...), and if I don't want to contribute $5000 for my seat in a 1 hour ride I drive myself. I am not an advocate of sponging off others as I've been taken advantage of plenty of times. 

Young posters should use these forums intelligently. Act appropriately and you just might get invites through private DMs. Act entitled, well, sorry. These are just some unwritten rules I've seen... 

As a 26 year old, don't screw up this opportunity. Assume that slight offenses can ultimately blackball you from the network of his friends. 

22 hours ago, luvxfinity said:

Take it easy, I never said I EXPECT anyone to pay, every time I play private courses I offer to pay.  So cool it with the 'entitlement' soap box.

All I am saying is my money has never been accepted, likewise, my boss, who has played more private clubs than some people can probably name, has never paid a dime....and no its not 'business meetings' every time he plays.

Don’t want to be a buzz kill but you can’t visit NY from Texas currently unless you self quarantine for 14 days

if you were running Winged Foot which is predominately old members I doubt they want visitors from places with lots of Covid cases coming to visit.  Courses are getting serious about contact tracing.  I had to provide my address and recent travel History to play at a private club I was visiting  last week.  Keep this in mind that you may fly up there and not be allowed to play there.

Edited by Zski