Swing weight factors in relation to parts

joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrxBay AreaMarshals Posts: 7,844 mod
edited May 18, 2011 in WRX Club Techs #1
Remember, this is just a ball park figure for normal most case.

Some shaft have tip or butt weight balance point that can not be applied on this rules.

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

Joe
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bobcat43Bobcat43 ClubWRX Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    edited May 22, 2011 #2
    Why isn't this pinned anymore? This is one of my goto posts.

Thanks Mods! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,792 ✭✭
    Yes! It's back..
    TM M6 10.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • g8rgolferg8rgolfer Members Posts: 1
    joey3108 wrote:

4* flatter lie = increase 1 swing weight point

Which way?
  • Breaker999Breaker999 Members Posts: 1,250
    How about adding weight the bottom of the shaft, just above the hosel? How many grams do I need to add right above the hosel to increase 1 swingweight point? Thanks!
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭
    Is there a rule of thumb about how much an increase or decrease of swingweights changes flex of shaft?
  • joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx Bay AreaMarshals Posts: 7,844 mod
    g8rgolfer wrote:

joey3108 wrote:

4* flatter lie = increase 1 swing weight point

Which way?

Both ways vice versa!

Minty7890 wrote:

How about adding weight the bottom of the shaft, just above the hosel? How many grams do I need to add right above the hosel to increase 1 swingweight point? Thanks!

2 gr

aliikane wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb about how much an increase or decrease of swingweights changes flex of shaft?

No changes!
  • SergioKSUSergioKSU Members Posts: 863
    joey3108 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

No changes!

Can you please go into detail as to why this is correct? How can adding lead tape to a head NOT make the shaft easier to load? Just as an example if an iron is at C5 it's going to feel more "boardy" and launch lower than the exact same iron with enough tape to get it to D5. How is this possible if the shaft isn't flexing more in the transition? I bring up this scenario because I just added 1/2" to my MP-60's and added enough tape to get them all to D2. The difference is night and day in being able to feel the shaft load and the ball launching higher.
  • acquadiiceacquadiice Members Posts: 2,282
    Joe, removing paintfill change the swing weight?
  • JscopusJscopus Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    If you need to significantly lower swingweight due to hot melt in the head, and don't want to deal with getting it out, are you better off to add weight with a heavier grip and a backweight like a Tour Lock insert (need to drop 6 SW points (add about 30 gms) from D9 to D3) or just put it all in the insert. Can get maybe 5 more grams in the grip and would be putting a 20 or 30 gm insert. Essentially, where will the weight be least felt statically and most benefit swing wise? Thanks

Jeff
  • lukesmurf59lukesmurf59 Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO! Members Posts: 2,802 ✭✭
    Nice, very helpful
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 Fubuki ZT 60S
    Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
    Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
    Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
    Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0 2-P
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select M1 (2016)
  • joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx Bay AreaMarshals Posts: 7,844 mod
    SergioKSU wrote:

joey3108 wrote:

aliikane wrote:

No changes!

Can you please go into detail as to why this is correct? How can adding lead tape to a head NOT make the shaft easier to load? Just as an example if an iron is at C5 it's going to feel more "boardy" and launch lower than the exact same iron with enough tape to get it to D5. How is this possible if the shaft isn't flexing more in the transition? I bring up this scenario because I just added 1/2" to my MP-60's and added enough tape to get them all to D2. The difference is night and day in being able to feel the shaft load and the ball launching higher.

Sorry, I should reread the first question carefully.

Changing SW will change flex 1-2 cpm per 1 point swing weight. So to make a drastic change of flex will need a huge sw change. Most of us can't feel up to 4 cpm.

1/2" is equal to 6gr plus the additional weight adjustment for you to adjust it to a D2 will definitely make a different IMO.
    acquadiice wrote:

Joe, removing paintfill change the swing weight?

Paint weight in the paintfill is not heavy enough to change the SW.

Jscopus wrote:

If you need to significantly lower swingweight due to hot melt in the head, and don't want to deal with getting it out, are you better off to add weight with a heavier grip and a backweight like a Tour Lock insert (need to drop 6 SW points (add about 30 gms) from D9 to D3) or just put it all in the insert. Can get maybe 5 more grams in the grip and would be putting a 20 or 30 gm insert. Essentially, where will the weight be least felt statically and most benefit swing wise? Thanks

Jeff

Sorry, I don't believe in counter weighting. It's like cheating without solving the problem IMO.
  • SmytheSmythe Members Posts: 171 ✭✭
    If you build the overall weight of a putter to make it heavier but the swingweight remains the same (bigger grip + lead tape on bottom of head) will you putt more balls past..? I cannot figure it out. I would imagine more weight behind the ball would hit it further but dont know how it relates with swingweight. Thanks!
  • bfrey64bfrey64 Too much SNOW!!! Members Posts: 504
    edited Jul 28, 2011 #15
    joey3108 wrote:

Remember, this is just a ball park figure for normal most case.

Some shaft have tip or butt weight balance point that can not be applied on this rules.

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

If I remove a 1/2 inch will that bring the SW down? Right now I have a driver at a d7 if I take it down a 1/2 will it make it a d4?

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

Joe

If I remove a 1/2 inch will that bring the SW down? Right now I have a driver at a d7 if I take it down a 1/2 will it make it a d4?
  • nhatnhat Members Posts: 104
    bfrey64 wrote:

yup, that's right around where it'll be. a d7 swing weight for a driver doesn't sound like fun image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • 78blades78blades Members Posts: 1,550
    IMO, swing wt is the cheapest way, (and I do mean CHEAP), of balancing the clubs out. I much perfer taking the heads off of the shafts, weighing the heads and either drilling out wt from the hosel or adding lead tip wt so all the heads are 6-8 grams apart from each other. This makes for a very nice feeling set of clubs with proper shafts lengths.

For those of you that think this is way too difficult, it isn't. If one has any mechanical skill at all this is a very easy process, you just need the tools and they aren't all that expensive.
  • Fairways_and_GreensFairways_and_Greens Members Posts: 760 ✭✭
    I wish I knew this stuff a few weeks ago! Thanks Joey.
    Rogue Sub Zero 9° Kuro Kage Dual Core tx
    917 F2 15° Diamana S+ 80x
    917 F2 18° ATX Blue 85x
    915H.d 20.5° Modus3 105x
    Z765 Modus3 125x
    Z765 51° Modus3 125x
    Mack Daddy Forged 58° Super Peening Blue
    EvnRoll 8
    Z Star XV
  • JeffBJeffB Twitter @JeffyBrogan Members Posts: 161 ClubWRX
    This is probably a dumb question but oh well!

Does it matter if you tip the shaft a 1/2 inch or cut it off the butt end a 1/2 inch. I assume it would create the same results but just checking.
    If you tip the shaft by 1/2" it will stiffen it up the flex of the shaft. If you take a 1/2" off of the butt it won't do much except shorten your shaft a little.
  • busch1807busch1807 Members Posts: 22
    ok i am green on this stuff. I just put a 3/4 inch extension at the end of my driver. i have the R11 with upgraded blur shaft. I was wondering if there is a solution to get the swingweight to what it was before with just changing the inserts in the R11 somehow. I currently have 10 grams in the heel and 1 gram in the toe. Is it as easy as this? THanks for any help
  • balbowskibalbowski Members Posts: 1,295 ✭✭
    Go to a 2 gram weight instead of the 10 and you should be pretty close to the swingweight of the club before the extension
  • acquadiiceacquadiice Members Posts: 2,282
    what is the best brand lead tape for irons?
  • georgiaboygeorgiaboy paralysis by analysis Members Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited Oct 1, 2011 #24
    that's a fine way to get it done but i prefer my weight to be added away from the hosel it changes the COG, makes it lower and in the heel helping you hook and hit the higher ball.

78blades wrote:

IMO, swing wt is the cheapest way, (and I do mean CHEAP), of balancing the clubs out. I much perfer taking the heads off of the shafts, weighing the heads and either drilling out wt from the hosel or adding lead tip wt so all the heads are 6-8 grams apart from each other. This makes for a very nice feeling set of clubs with proper shafts lengths.

For those of you that think this is way too difficult, it isn't. If one has any mechanical skill at all this is a very easy process, you just need the tools and they aren't all that expensive.
  • jpalermojpalermo If I could putt I'd be dangerous Members Posts: 787
    I have a superfast 2.0 non tp. swingweight according to Taylormades site is D9. I am planning on putting a mfs 65n s-2 (kj choi orange shaft in it) I think I read somewhere the the bbgm is 2.25" so the shaft needs to be tipped 3/4" for it to play like it's supposed to. which leads me to the question: what do I need to tell them to do to get it to the same d9 swingweight at a 44 3/4" playing length? actually taking the club in tomorrow so any fast help would be greatly appreciated.

email [email protected]

thanks a million
    Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
    Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
    Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
    Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
    MannKrafted Putter Du Jour
    @georgiaboy

Ultimately I perfer to drill the wt out to get all the heads 6-8 grams apart, and only add tip wt when absolutely necessary. When I do add wt its usually only 2 grams; I don't like to add more than 4 grams, but thats just me.

I came across a post some months ago on here where the poster was saying that if you got all the heads 8 grams apart from each other it was a cheap way of MOI'ing the clubs. Have you heard anything about this?
    can't say i have heard about that "78blades" but i don't look into the swing weight stuff anymore much. I kinda just think it's paralysis by analysis in this day and age with the manufacturing being as good as it is, especially in the upper end clubs.
  • jpalermojpalermo If I could putt I'd be dangerous Members Posts: 787
    so, had him tip it 1/2", and cut to a 45" playing length. weird part is that it was a 65g shaft and now it feels head heavy. why would that be. oh yeah 25g grip too
    Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
    Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
    Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
    Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
    MannKrafted Putter Du Jour
    thats a SUPER light grip, is it the same grip as you had on there before? if not, that could be the reason for the head feeling heavy.
    georgiaboy

I do agree that the upper end manufacturing is better, but the OEM's don't really seem to care very much when assembling the clubs. This is why I take my club apart and weigh the heads. I've had 4i head weigh more than 5i head, and that was a set of Mizuno's! After I corrected that, that set of clubs played very good. This is also why I won't buy new clubs from the OEM. I end up taking them apart and weighing & spining and that voids the warrenty. Less expensive to buy a relatively little used set for me, so thats what I do now.
  • SteveL1SteveL1 Members Posts: 1,410 ✭✭
    edited Oct 9, 2011 #31
    Ok, I'm a bit lost and need some help......Just got a new R11 and installed a Aldila RIP 70 playing at 44.5". With the 10g/1g standard wieghts, it swing weights at D8-D9. I can't shorten the shaft any, and I really need the 10g weight in the toe to keep from hooking this thing so I'm lost as to what to change to get the sw down to around D2-D3 where I like it. I also have a Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip which is on the heavy side at 55g so changing to a heavier grip is not much of an option either.

The R11 tip is a TP variety so it's fairly light at 5.8g compared to the Tour versions at 7.4g so that won't help either. Only thing I can think of is to counter weight it about 30g but would prefer not to do that if possible. Drilling the hosel on an R11 is not an option as far as I know. Any ideas?

Head weight with 10g/1g weights and shaft mounting screw is 203.3g and the shaft with tip adaptor and grip is 133.3g.