• The DuckThe Duck  837WRX Points: 55Handicap: 12Members Posts: 837
    tried it and gave it away .

The 60 Lob is just all I need on tight lies
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MetalManicMetalManic  145WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 145

Splitter wrote:

Golf Digest this month has an article on this. They studied golfers of 2, 5, 12, and 15 handicaps and had them hit a 20 yard shot over a bunker with each a 56, 58, 60, and 64 degree wedge. On average, the 64 got the ball 13.3 feet from the hole as compared to 21.1 with the 56.

My new jaws 64* just showed up yesterday. Been playing at 60 bent to 62 for 2 years, going to go straight 64 now, with a 50 gap wedge and either my current 56 or a new 58 bent to 57.

That was a great little article. Im a 64* fan but was still surprised by the results.

As soon as I read it I thought about all the guys on WRX who invent new reasons to crap on anyone who asks about or uses a 64*.

Long live the 64* wedge!!

Well I think the article said it didn't work as well for the 2 handicap, and since everyone on golfwrx is under a 2 cap, it makes sense that they'd sniff at it.

Ha !!! Read my mind. But actually, I think you'll eventually seeing more pros having one in the bag at times, as young guns who have grown up with them start coming thru the ranks
    Posted:
  • SLB_GolferSLB_Golfer  254WRX Points: 51Members Posts: 254
    Definitely going to give one a try this season. If you have space in your bag why not give it a try?
    Posted:
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf  6948WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 6,948
    I picked up my xft TP new for $37 from Golfstorm. C'mon, ya gotta give one a try for that price. All in all, this club just made delicate shots around the green so much easier. And it was astounding how high and soft bunker shots can be hit with this club. IMO, there's only so much you can open up a 60* wedge before it becomes difficult to use. Those extra 4* makes a world of difference for most. Some of the joys in golf include a nutted drive down the middle of the fairway, making any birdie putt and last but not least is saving par when you have no business saving par. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Titleist 915D3 8.5 Fujikura Tour Spec 74 Stiff
    Titleist TS2 15 Hzrdus Smoke 70 Stiff
    Titleist 818h 19 Hybrid Tour Spec Stiff
    Titleist AP3 5-P Modus 120 X
    Titleist Vokey SM5 F 52
    Titleist Vokey SM6 F 56
    Titleist Vokey SM7 D 60
    Titleist Scotty Go Lo 34
  • KaBoom21KaBoom21  1607WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 1,607
    I have a new set of X-Forged 52/58/64 wedges that I'll put in play down the road. Seems like an easy transition from 51/56/60.
    Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14876WRX Points: 848ClubWRX Posts: 14,876
    I tried one briefly but just couldn't get used to it. The ball just flew so high so quickly. To be fair though, I really didn't give it much time in the bag or on the practice green to learn how to use it and get used to it. We have a lot of bunkers, but very little in the way of elevated greens, and those that are elevated are maybe just a few feet. I typically use a 58* which is usually ample loft here. For the couple times a week I would need one, I couldn't justify kicking another club out.

I can certainly see where it would have some uses though, and if I ever end up playing a course with several highly elevated greens, I 'll rpobably go back and give it another go.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Advertisement
  • Mookie91Mookie91  1567WRX Points: 115Handicap: 8.1Members Posts: 1,567
    Just picked one up from Rockbottom Jaws 64. I'm giving it a try because my main course has a lot of elevated greens with heavy rough around it.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
    TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
    Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
    Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
    Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
    Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"
  • bigpokerboybigpokerboy  51WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 51
    i just vokey'd my face with the 64

nice friday nite
    Posted:
  • Peter K.Peter K. "Stay thirsty, my friends."  435WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 435
    hef63303 wrote:

If tour pros believe that it is a useful club, then I don't know why the rest of us should not consider it. It won't be for everyone. If you play relatively flat courses without a lot of traps to hit over, you might never use it. But if you play course with very elevated greens and large sandtraps that you might just have to hit 15 yard shots up and over to a short pin, you will find a 64 to be very useful.

I love how some posters here think that everyone else's game and experiences are the same as theirs.

Excellent post; especially the bolded statement.
    Posted:
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986  2363WRX Points: 82Handicap: 0.2Members Posts: 2,363
    Had a couple of them over the years. Still have a head laying around that might get shafted.. Just to inconstant if you aren't practicing or playing with it enough. 60 is plenty for me and I'm even thinking about going to a 50,54,58 set. Plus, how often do you need that much loft?? I barely even use my 60 anymore unless I'm in a bunker or hitting into an elivated green.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
    Mizuno ST190 w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
    Mizuno MMC/MP20 Split Set with Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx
    Putter is a revolving door...
  • schuylerschuyler  784WRX Points: 42Members Posts: 784
    I game a Cleveland CG15 in 62 degrees. I absolutely love it, I use it for just about every shot around the green. However it has become somewhat of an addiction and I have found myself using it in times where I shouldn't.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • camaro02camaro02  105WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 105
    armydiver wrote:

I bought a Ping model about a year ago and then promptly deployed a few weeks later to the Middle East (no golf) I really liked it around the greens. I recall it also being great for short side situations. I personally like a lot of versatility around the greens because I tend to miss quite a few GIR. Alas, not enough time with it to determine if it will permanently stay in the bag, but I can easily see it being part of the rotation depending on the course. Can't remember the bounce for sure, but I think it was around 10 degrees.

do you play at schofield? i still have nightmares from some of the tee shots there.
    Posted:
  • Solutions EtceteraSolutions Etcetera  2556WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,556
    My home course has quite a number of greens that are at the bottom of a "bowl of rough" on two sides. 64 is the only club I play from these steep downhill lies to a green running away.
    Posted:
  • QARQAR  7WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 7
    Sounds interesting. What clubs are you guys using at the top end of your bag to allow room for the 64?
    Posted:
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1471WRX Points: 260Members Posts: 1,471
    hef63303 wrote:

If tour pros believe that it is a useful club, then I don't know why the rest of us should not consider it.

Just for the sake of conversation, which tour pros are you thinking about? I'm always curios to see what club setup different pro's use and I can't remember seeing anyone apart from Phil that uses a 64. There might be a couple more, but realistically pretty much every tour pro has a 58 or 60 as their highest lofted wedge. I'm sure it can be a useful club to those that don't like to open up their wedges though, if you can spare another club.
    Posted:
  • BigPeteBigPete  2467WRX Points: 0Handicap: 12.1Members Posts: 2,467
    There were three guys at last year's Masters with anything over 60. Phil, Sandy Lyle and I don't remember the lastt one. Not many though.

It's kinda irrelevant to my game though tbh.
    Posted:
    Cobra L4V PX 6.0
    Tour edge 3 PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP H5 4 iron C taper lite stiff
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-pw XP 115 R300
    Mizuno MP T5 53 59 wedge flex
    Mizuno MP A306
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1471WRX Points: 260Members Posts: 1,471
    BigPete wrote:

Agree, I don't play nearly the same game as the pro's do, so why should I have the same equipment? I just don't think getting a 64 is a good idea cause someone thinks that pro's find them useful is great logic, since most pro's don't use them (at least not enough to sacrifice another club for).

Posted:
  • SplitterSplitter The truth is out there....  3396WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 3,396
    Maximilian wrote:

BigPete wrote:

Agree, I don't play nearly the same game as the pro's do, so why should I have the same equipment? I just don't think getting a 64 is a good idea cause someone thinks that pro's find them useful is great logic, since most pro's don't use them (at least not enough to sacrifice another club for).

I agree with this about any club/ball or swing. That said, I think the previous poster said "consider" it, not necessarily use it.

If something is out there that can better our game, it should be considered. For some of us, the 64* is great, but I don't think any 64* proponents believe it's for everyone. On the other hand, I think *some* 64 opponents think it's for no one. That's what's silly to me.

All that said, I'm strongly considering trying a 62*. Not because the 64* is too difficult, I just wonder if I couldn't get 90% of the 64* benefit but have that club be a little more versatile and give me more consistent gaps.... I'm not sure if the gap at that loft is really important tho.. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • hef63303hef63303  2896WRX Points: 171Members Posts: 2,896
    There have been several pros that have used a 64 degree, based on the particular course they are playing that week. Vijay uses one on a regular basis, as does Phil. Charlie Triplesticks has been known to carry one. Keep in mind that tour players change the clubs in their bag based on that week's course and it's setup.
    Posted:
    QAR wrote:

Sounds interesting. What clubs are you guys using at the top end of your bag to allow room for the 64?

For me, it is replacing 19° and 22° hybrids for a 21° 7 wood. Not quite as versatile, but it works. If I am playing a course without all the severe lies around the greens the 64° comes out.
    Posted:
  • iTriediTried  104WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 104
    i think they're awesome. look like a pancake
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 (10.5*) - Oban Kiyoshi White 75 (05 flex)
    Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 (14.5*) - Fujikura Speeder VC 8.0 (S)
    Titleist 910H (19*) - Mitsubishi Ahina 90 (X)
    Titleist 712CB (4-PW) - Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist SM4 (52*.12) - Dyanmic Gold X100
    Titleist SM5 (56*-S) - Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist SM6 (60*-V) - Dynamic Gold S400
    Kingston KP1 GSS (34")
    Pro V1x

San Diego, CA

Advertisement
  • DuckgolferDuckgolfer rhbrook721  121WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 121
    I game two wedges a 50 degree pitching wedge and a 64 sand/lob. My 64 is a Cleveland 588 black pearl with 6 degrees of bounce and a 35" s300 in it. It makes hitting shots easier and deciding on a club so much more easy. I have gotten to be quite the shoemaker with them both and can hit a stock approach with tons of spin fro 65 yards and in with it. I will never go back to a normal set make up again image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> it is truly a club that turns you into a short game artist and really kick starts the creative side of your brain. Glad your enjoying it as much as I do. And I am a low single digit handicapper who bombs it so there is no pigeon hole market for this type of wedge.
    Posted:
  • Drak76Drak76  107WRX Points: 40Members Posts: 107
    I am definitely tempted to give it a try. I currently play 51/56/61, and I am considering 53/58/ and lob wedge with higher lost than 61* and very little bounce. No more than 4*.

IMO once one starts to go for pins to try to make a birdie, one can end up short siding, so this club will be very helpful.
    Posted:
  • StarFleetGolferStarFleetGolfer  10620WRX Points: 287Members Posts: 10,620
    I think I'm putting a 62 in the bag.
    Posted:

TaylorMade M5
    TaylorMade Original One 13.5
    Titleist 510 18
    Cobra Forged Tec 2019
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Scotty Cameron T22

• goliath23goliath23  409WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 409
    QAR wrote:

Thats why I havent put one in the bag yet. My only though is that I play a sw around 55* then cut out the 58* and replace it with the 64*.

I currently play a 50* gw, 54 SW, 58* LW.
    Posted:
    goliath23 wrote:

QAR wrote:

Thats why I havent put one in the bag yet. My only though is that I play a sw around 55* then cut out the 58* and replace it with the 64*.

I currently play a 50* gw, 54 SW, 58* LW.

Why not try a 52, 58, 64?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pasadenagolferpasadenagolfer  1WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6.4Members Posts: 1
    64 is my favorite club. It forces you to hit ball first or it punishes you bad!

Once I got this club mastered, it it helping me with the rest of my clubs! Best training aid I ever bought.
    Posted:
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4125WRX Points: 232Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 4,125
    My buddy won a 68* wedge at an outing. He let me hit it on the range. Full tilt swing and it went 30 yds. Kinda neat but would never trust it on a course.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• routy03routy03  179WRX Points: 0Handicap: 7Members Posts: 179
    Is it weird that I hit my 60 from anything 85 in and most out of the sand. My 56 is what I use around the greens [lower bounce] and open the face alot.
    Posted:
    910 d2 RIP
    cb4 RIP
    910f RIP
    s56 4-W
    PM 58
    Ray Cook milled

Advertisement
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl  6095WRX Points: 1,090Members Posts: 6,095

64 is my favorite club. It forces you to hit ball first or it punishes you bad!

Once I got this club mastered, it it helping me with the rest of my clubs! Best training aid I ever bought.

Exactly why its a terrible club and waste of bag space for most people. They should spend their time learning to hit what they have from every lie and condition and every face angle. Seriously if a player can't get it done with a 60 ( or 54-56 for that matter) then a new club is probably not going to be a big help. The average player can't hit his wedge within 8-10 yards of his desired ditance consistantly but think he can grab a more lofted wedge and be golden. Since they are usually flippers who make less than desireable contact with a high trajectory anyway it seems silly to add a more lofted club.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.