2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone still play Sonartec fairway woods? GS Tour?

prod1

Hi guys, anyone here still play Sonartec fairway woods? I have the ss-02 model but was thinking about finding their GS Tour model. I heard this model was the best they made before they closed shop. Sonartec IMHO are some of the best fairway woods made, having owned the ss-01, ss-02, ss-03 models, didn't know the GS Tour even existed until recently. Anyone?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have three. An SS-03 3 wood and NP-99 3 & 5 woods. I had an SS-02 but sold it to a friend when I picked up the 03. They are rock solid. I haven't really found anything else that has that boring trajectory that just stays in the air forever. I haven't hit the GS Tour but I have heard they are great also. I have tried several fairway woods but the Sonartecs always find their way back into the bag.

I must admit that I have been super tempted to pick up a 910F. I have been gaming the 910 D3 and love it and have demo'd the F and liked it a lot as well.

have back up ss-o3

but currently gaming my love the ss-07!!! just a bomber and consistent!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I have a GS Tour 14 degree that I bought new for about $70 on Ebay in 2008 when they were getting closed out. Bought it primarily because of the Sonartec love on this site.

It's a great 3 wood with "tweener" face height which works well off the tee and the deck. It has the stock Red Ice shaft in stiff which I found to be a great combo, great feel, tip feels a tad soft but still plays stiff like a lot of Graphite Design shafts.

I gamed it for about 6 months until I hit the Titty 906F4 which I found so ridiculously easy to hit off the deck I have kept it in the bag since. I also liked the sound of the 906 better than the GS Tour, the latter having a bit of a sharp "tink" when hit.

I kept the GS Tour, it's a great club and I'd have NO problem going back to it if I had to.

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

All Sonartec problems are great. Very long especially off the tee. Their deeper faced three wood models (SS O3 and 3.5) can be a little unforgiving off the turf but are outstanding off the tee. The GS Tour models are the most forgiving off the turf of the deep faced models For the best of both worlds try the SS 07 or NP 99 models. Also forgiving and long off the turf are the 1.5 models.

[quote name='dsc1234' timestamp='1328177786' post='4196275']
All Sonartec woods are great. Very long especially off the tee. Their deeper faced three wood models (SS O3 and 3.5) can be a little unforgiving off the turf but are outstanding off the tee. The GS Tour models are the most forgiving off the turf f the deep faced models For the best of both worlds try the SS 07 or NP 99 models. Most forgiving and long off the turf are the 1.5 models.
[/quote]

I agree with everything here except about the 1.5. The SS01 was the shallowest of the bunch and if you weren't careful, you could sky it really easily. The 1.5 was a Tour Only product until they started going under. Then it was sold everywhere. There were basically 2 versions. IFRC, the 15.5* was a tad shallower and set up either square or closed. The 14* was deeper (think SS07) and open. can't remember about the other lofts but all heads were bore-through and looked a lot like the old Royal Collection BBD Super CV (15.5) or CV Pro (14). If you can find one of these, you've gotten very lucky.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I have a set that I play once in awhile. LS-99 3 wood, NP-99 5 wood and LS-99 7 wood. Awesome clubs. I had them custom built with Graffoloy Pro Lite Fairway shafts in stiff flex and +1" in length. The only reason I do not have the LS-99 5 wood to match is it is extremely rare. I could not find one. They are almost like hitting a hybrid, as the faces are very shallow and the head is small. The NP-99 launchs lower and more boring then the LS-99 series. The LS series launchs high.

i LOVE my sonartec SS 2.5! Nice deep face, killer off the tee and if you can sweep it off the fairway it will go forever! Currently shafted with Prolite stiff fairway (prolites might be the best shaft over the long haul ever no?) and it just goes forever. I searched and searched for a deeper face 3 wood that was playable off the deck. I tried a nike t-60, great off the tee, awful off the fairway, i tried so older cobra SS and it was no good either. There are still some lies in the fairway that I am not comfortable hitting this from. I.E. ball above my feet, but I simply never found a shallow face three wood that I could use effectively off the tee. I have wanted to try a cobra s9-1 pro fairway because it has the deep face i want, but the heel looks slightly more turf friendly.

Can't go wrong with Sonartec IMO.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Have the SS-02 and love it. Will probably use it until, well, forever? 3W is my least used club in the bag, so it's hard for me to ever upgrade it when this oldy is so amazing.

I'm thinking about a 4W option. Anyone know if they made a 17*? I check eBay off and on and never came across one.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

I play SS03 3 (14) and 5 (19) woods with the stock Fuji shafts. Also have a GS Tour 3 wood in the closet.

I went through a lot of FW woods looking for these. I don't want to do it again unless it's something really special.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

I am looking for a new fairway wood, the one club that does not change often with amateurs and pros alike. I have been reading about the new RBZ line and how long it is compared to anything else, fine if you want the distance but I think its a ploy for gap creep, to force you to change your set to have better gaps (P wedge is like a 9 iron loft).

I want to get the Sonartec GS Tour over the new RBZ line because of two things. The first is distance gaps, why would anyone need a wood that is so long it creates a gap between their 3 wood and 5 wood (or hybrid) not to mention decreasing the gap for the driver. Second is consistency, my Sonartec has been consistent and dependable for a long time, who knows what the RBZ will do with its lower swing weight.

But I have digressed as you can see, I have thought long and hard about it and having tested/owned everything under the sun (you name it I have/had it), I feel they have made some best fairway woods ever, very much under the radar. I just want to get the best they made, before they went under and the GS Tour seems the way to go, forgiving and long!

Thanks to all those who have chimed in and gave their experience and feedback for the GS Tour!

Still have my GS Tour 15 degree. Great FW wood. Super hot face and easier to elevate than the face height would suggest. I think I've had 4 shafts in it now, none better than the original Red Ice shaft. Never should have pulled and sold that shaft. This is one head I really want to find a good shaft for this year. Kinda thinking about a Fubuki Ax fw.

If you're interested, you can still get Red Ice shafts new on ebay for under 20 bucks.

The few critical reviews I saw on this shaft weren't that great. Sonartec, on the other hand, said they went through extensive blind testing in selecting the shaft for this head, and that it was the overwhelming choice.

Personally, I think the shaft matches very well with the head. I little lower kickpoint to go with the relatively higher COG in the head due to face height and the driving channel. One of the reasons this FW is fairly easy to hit off the deck.

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

[quote name='sleuth' timestamp='1328199376' post='4197311']
Have the SS-02 and love it. Will probably use it until, well, forever? 3W is my least used club in the bag, so it's hard for me to ever upgrade it when this oldy is so amazing.

I'm thinking about a 4W option. Anyone know if they made a 17*? I check eBay off and on and never came across one.
[/quote]

I believe they made a 17 degree sso2.

[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1328336557' post='4210641']
If you're interested, you can still get Red Ice shafts new on ebay for under 20 bucks.

The few critical reviews I saw on this shaft weren't that great. Sonartec, on the other hand, said they went through extensive blind testing in selecting the shaft for this head, and that it was the overwhelming choice.

Personally, I think the shaft matches very well with the head. I little lower kickpoint to go with the relatively higher COG in the head due to face height and the driving channel. One of the reasons this FW is fairly easy to hit off the deck.
[/quote]
I have seen them for sale. Thanks! One of those things where you're not sure if you could ever re-create that original "magical" setup. There are few clubs I regret getting re-shafted, and this was definitely one of them. I agree the stock shaft was definitely a good match for the head. A little lighter than what I normally played, so I though it could be "improved" upon. WRONG! ha ha!

I love my ss-02, easy to hit out of the rough but not so forgiving. The GS Tour is touted as perhaps the best fairway wood (if there is ever a perfect fairway wood lol) and most forgiving in the Sonartec line. Low spin, long and tight dispersion low boring flight into the wind, what more can one ask of a fairway wood? Dare I say better than TEE CB2 and CB3? Expertise and feedback from other Sonartec owners on this club have made me covet the GS Tour even more!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1328178839' post='4196285']
All Sonartec woods are great. Very long especially off the tee. Their deeper faced three wood models (SS O3 and 3.5) can be a little unforgiving off the turf but are outstanding off the tee. The GS Tour models are the most forgiving off the turf f the deep faced models For the best of both worlds try the SS 07 or NP 99 models. Most forgiving and long off the turf are the 1.5 models.
[/quote]

I agree with everything here except about the 1.5. The SS01 was the shallowest of the bunch and if you weren't careful, you could sky it really easily. The 1.5 was a Tour Only product until they started going under. Then it was sold everywhere. There were basically 2 versions. IFRC, the 15.5* was a tad shallower and set up either square or closed. The 14* was deeper (think SS07) and open. can't remember about the other lofts but all heads were bore-through and looked a lot like the old Royal Collection BBD Super CV (15.5) or CV Pro (14). If you can find one of these, you've gotten very lucky.
[/quote]

Which model is the easiest to hit from the fairway for someone with a 95MPH SS?

I have a 13* gs tour with a x stiff red ice and it is crazy consistent. I honestly hit it off the tee farther than my driver a lot if times and it is ready to hit off the turf but I never could get much height. I have a couple buddies that hit it too and we can't miss with this thing. I would live to be playing it now but on my course it is actually to long and without the height I can't stop it on the greens. One of the most solid clubs I have ever hit though.

[quote name='skeeter33' timestamp='1335108316' post='4767690']
[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1328178839' post='4196285']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Which model is the easiest to hit from the fairway for someone with a 95MPH SS?
[/quote]

For the original ones, the SS01 will be the easiest off the turf to elevate but I liked the 02 the best of all of them. It had just the right size face to be good from all lies and was still easy to hit. If you can find one in 16*, buy it immediately.

For new ones, I believe there's a Royal Collection head that's designed for slower swingers.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled across these FWs recently and thanks to advice from Jokerusn, picked up a mint SS-1.5 head that I'll have shafted up soon. I originally wanted the NP-99 but wasn't able to find one in good shape or with a shaft I could use. There are still plenty of 2.5s and 3.5s on eBay, along with some GS-Tours, but I hear the 1.5 is rare and supposedly great off the deck and tee. This thing looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I stumbled across these FWs recently and thanks to advice from Jokerusn, picked up a mint SS-1.5 head that I'll have shafted up soon. I originally wanted the NP-99 but wasn't able to find one in good shape or with a shaft I could use. There are still plenty of 2.5s and 3.5s on eBay, along with some GS-Tours, but I hear the 1.5 is rare and supposedly great off the deck and tee. This thing looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

Wow! That thing looks sweet. Is that a bore thru desgin? Also that head looks kind of deep faced or am I just seeing things?

As far as Sonartec clubs go, I love them. I have all of the MD hybrids with an extra 17 degree to spare. I have an 18 deg TRC, two 14 degree SS 2.5, and a 13 degree SS 03. I buy them every time I come across one in the used section of GS or GG.

A big, old school, thumbs up for these sweet clubs. :good:

[quote name='sustain' timestamp='1337045017' post='4915502']
Wow! That thing looks sweet. Is that a bore thru desgin? Also that head looks kind of deep faced or am I just seeing things?

As far as Sonartec clubs go, I love them. I have all of the MD hybrids with an extra 17 degree to spare. I have an 18 deg TRC, two 14 degree SS 2.5, and a 13 degree SS 03. I buy them every time I come across one in the used section of GS or GG.

A big, old school, thumbs up for these sweet clubs. :good:
[/quote]

Yeah it was listed as new with shop wear and it really is. Great quality finishing from what I can tell. I don't know if it's a true bore through, I thought I saw someplace that the shaft doesn't go all the way down in the 1.5 heads. Not sure, I'm still new to Sonartec/RC. The face is deeper than I expected, which is fine, since this will primarily be a tee club more so than for off the deck. The fact that it's 14* and not 13* will help off the deck if I ever need it. I was initially looking at a SS-02 or SS-2.5 in 13* or 14*, but this one came up and I took it. I missed a GS Tour 14* head on eBay for $24.50 and a SS-02 13* for $30 before that.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach