Anyone still play Sonartec fairway woods? GS Tour?

prod1

[quote name='Jonny Cab' timestamp='1337226401' post='4929332']
Sorry, I picked up that 14 degree head. Have to hook up with Joe Kwok to match a shaft to it.
[/quote]

No worries, I was really after the 1.5 and put in a low ball offer for the GS Tour any how. Glad someone else on here got it though, haha.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 14* SS-03 I keep as a backup. I just put a Kai'li shaft in it actually. Feels good. Only hit it once since the reshaft and hit it off the toe and the flight and direction of it looked like I hit it in the screws, it just didn't fly as far as if I did. Also have a 17* 4wd I got recently on here with a V2 shaft. Great feeling club that gets up in the air easily.

Actually been having some problems with my 13.5* 910F lately. Ordered an Ilima shaft for it and if that doesn't work out I may end up putting the Sonartec back in the bag permanent. Only downside I think is that the Sonartec doesn't seem to have as hot of a face as the 910. If I hit the 910 on the screws the ball just jumps off the face and gets out there. Sonartec seems a bit softer and not as long, but that's not a huge deal in a 3wd.

[quote name='glfpunk' timestamp='1337300401' post='4934502']
Only downside I think is that the Sonartec doesn't seem to have as hot of a face as the 910.
[/quote]
Myth. No such thing as a hot face.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently gaming a 13* and 18* with BB 83x. Monsterous woods. I am debating trying out the new Royal Collection offerings of the Tour VS or the new Pro TX. Apparently both are deep offerings with a hot face.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 months later...

ss 03 14 degree 3 wood is flat out the best I have ever bagged. Been playing it 3 years now and can't see it leaving anytime soon. I have a few sonartec 5 woods as well and they are good but not as special as the 3 wood. I have a couple of hb001 hybrids as well and they are excellent. Most of their fairway woods are designed for better players.

• 3 months later...

I still game a Sonartec SS 3.5 13* with a blueboard 93X which is the best 3 wood I have ever had, infact its pretty much the only one I have ever had confidence in and I have had more 3 woods than any other club.

I also have an SS 07 19 with a grafalloy prototype bi matrix which I bought to install a whiteboard into that I had. I tried it as it came and the whiteboard is still sat waiting.

I also have a matching SS07 22 with a grafalloy prototype bi matrix but in proper bubba pink. I like it but found that my Adams hybrid was more usable.

Great woods that suit me perfectly.

Sonartec SS-02 19* 5-wood is in the bag. For tight courses, a Sonartec TRC 20* hybrid replaces it.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Interesting.
I ordered a new shaft for my 14 degree SS-03 last week. Waiting.
Have not gamed a 3 wood in years but will start this year with one.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

I'm gaming a GS Tour 14 shafted with a GD Pershing 75 TX. For me this combo is stupidly accurate and sneaky long. Par 5's have never been so easy. I'm also gaming a GS Tour 18 with an old PX 6.0 driver shaft (all I had laying around at the time, tipped 2.5 inches in order to teach it some manners) While this combo is a bit light for me, as long I take it easy .... it works.

Turf interaction is great with both, 95% of the time I play these off the deck. The 18 does get used a little off the tee on those sharp doglegs... I'm still yet to try out a GS 13, and need to find a suitable 7 wood.

j

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.5 14 deg and a 2.5 17 deg both with Fuji S Flex
I bought them in 2009.
Believe it or not I am yet to hit them as I got them as part of a bag of clubs I put together as an impetus to lose weight
(LOL it didnt work)
I put more weight on and got up to 530lbs (Yep you read right thats 235kg for the metric lovers)

I have lost 90lbs in the last 6 months and have got to where I can now hit full 8 irons
I cant yet use my legs as effectively as I will do in another 50 kgs lost so I'm down on club head speed by probably 20mph

I borrowed a driver yesterday and nailed 10 drives out 250 yards and pretty straight
But heck how do you mishit a 460cc headed club?

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to banging these bad boys
They are asthetically AWESOME and I know the 14 deg is a great club because I allowed a friend of mine who plays off 2 to hit it and he reckoned it was the BEST 3W he had ever hit...chances are he was right because the shots he hit where going about as far as he hit his driver.

I also have a an Md 17 deg with the i Rod s flex shaft

I got down to scratch and better in my very early 20's but haven't played a competive round of golf in just over 18 years
So if I can lose my weight and get down to a handicap of 4 I'll be stoked

I only joined this site a week ago and have already found it to be brilliant

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled my SS-03 14 degree 3-wood out of the closet and hit it against my I20 and the entire lineup of 2013 3-woods. It was side by side with the Xhot Pro in distance, was only 3mph behind in ball speed, and produced more ball speed than every new model 3-wood except the Xhot Pro and the Adams S (which spun too much).

It is back in the bag and the first round out with my 11 or 12 year old club I striped every shot I hit with it, turf and tee. I've struggled with shot shape and consistency with my last three 3-woods and with the SS-03 it's like swinging on autopilot.

Hopefully the new honeymoon period lasts.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

[quote name='DFinch' timestamp='1361298615' post='6459041']
I pulled my SS-03 14 degree 3-wood out of the closet and hit it against my I20 and the entire lineup of 2013 3-woods. It was side by side with the Xhot Pro in distance, was only 3mph behind in ball speed, and produced more ball speed than every new model 3-wood except the Xhot Pro and the Adams S (which spun too much).

It is back in the bag and the first round out with my 11 or 12 year old club I striped every shot I hit with it, turf and tee. I've struggled with shot shape and consistency with my last three 3-woods and with the SS-03 it's like swinging on autopilot.

[/quote]

Sonartec was just ahead of their time, and were charging ~$200 for fairway woods before it was the norm, since the other OEM's weren't doing that yet i think that's why they didn't sell enough to stay afloat. but now that everyone is up in the $200+ territory for FW and hybrids you can see the Sonartecs were worth it (and then) some all along...

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1361302698' post='6459515']

[/quote]

Sonartec was just ahead of their time, and were charging ~$200 for fairway woods before it was the norm, since the other OEM's weren't doing that yet i think that's why they didn't sell enough to stay afloat. but now that everyone is up in the $200+ territory for FW and hybrids you can see the Sonartecs were worth it (and then) some all along...
[/quote]

Actually Sonartec going out of business had more to do with Peter Pock than the amount of clubs they sold. I believe Sonartec was profitable when Pocklington bought them. PP just ran them completely into the ground and then got arrested for various other scams he pulled.

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1361303392' post='6459609']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1361302698' post='6459515']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually Sonartec going out of business had more to do with Peter Pock than the amount of clubs they sold. I believe Sonartec was profitable when Pocklington bought them. PP just ran them completely into the ground and then got arrested for various other scams he pulled.
[/quote]

or that...

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1350336612' post='5797981']
I play a Royal Collection 3 wood (14*) and two Royal Collection hybrids (19* and 23*). That's the parent company that owned Sonartec-- basically, it's newer Sonartec technology under the "real" name instead of the older subsidiary name.

If they made a 27* hybrid I'd buy it. I *love* these things.
[/quote]

+1

I have a RC vs tour driver and 3 wood. I also rotate a 19 degree hybrid in depending on the course I play.

Great stuff. I may try to pick up a 5w to experiment with vs the hybrid.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

• 2 weeks later...

My first Sonartec was a 14* NP-99...Can't recall when I bought it, but it was in the bag for at least 5 years. I thought the face had started to get soft (before kids, I would spend at least an hour or two on the range 4-5 nights a week). Because I thought the face was soft (not hitting the ball as far), and the recent release of the GS Tour, I was smitten by the GS Tour. Bought a 13*, and had a great honeymoon, but eventually struggled to hit it well off the deck (just didn't elevate enough to get a decent carry), but was still great off the tee.

Fast forward 4 or 5 years from then, and I've been searching for a solid replacement to my NP-99 ever since (I still have it), and am likely going to take this snow day (I'm in the DC area), to reshaft both the GS-Tour and the NP-99 with something new to try.

I've been playing a 15* TEE CB2 with various shafts for the past couple of years, but it just spins too much. I've been searching for a 13* or 14* 3w for the past year, and can't bring myself to spend $250-$300 on one (yes I'm cheap). This thread has me motivated to get the Sonartecs back out and make them work.

I've been playing a 19* MD hybrid since 2005. I bought it specifically for the U.S. Amateur at Merion because I needed something a little longer and more forgiving than my 2i off the tee. It has only come out of the bag this winter when I changed my gaps for FWs and hybrids, and now have the Adams XTD 17* and 21*. The 19* MD was so long for me, that it had a good 30 yards on my 21* HB-001. Still think those are some of the best hybrids made, but the Adams is just crazy good and forgiving, whereas the Sonartecs just aren't as forgiving.

Thanks for the motivation here to put this GS Tour back in play. I want to get it on the launch monitor and compare ball speeds and spin rates with the RBZ that I should've bought off the used rack at GS a couple weeks ago.

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

• 11 months later...

I am picking up a GS 5 wood (18* Red Ice S) and interested as you are! For years now, I have been playing and continue to play the SS 01 13* w/Pinley stiff and it's going nowhere! I also have the SS 07 in a 14* but honestly prefer the SS 01. I know the 01 has the shallow face, bla, bla, but this thing is money (my best club ever!). You hit it and the sound, feel, trajectory and ridiculous distance is nothing short of spectacular. It does require more precise contact than some but I find it just as easy to hit as the 07; which has the Red Ice S (also excellent)! My main bag consists of: Titleist D3 driver 9.5*, Sonartec SS 01 13*, Sonartec MD 17* and 19* loaded with V2 stiff (stability factor), and Titleist 735's S300. I have total confidence, even when my shot shape belongs in the bar!!!

I still play an SS-07 13*, and it is more like a 2-wood than a 3-wood. Extremely solid feel, and with distance that nearly matches my driver. (I'm 50, a decent 2-capper with a 101 swing speed). I have tried other strong 3-woods but none are as consistent. I also own a rare "silverhead" 19* from Sonartec's parent company, Royal Collection, which is also a fine specimen, though it has been sitting in the closet for four years.

These Sonartec discussions always make me recall Nick Price and those awesome years he had in the early 90s. He really "carried the torch" (haha the Olympics are on in the background) for Sonartec.

Ahh my friend, great to hear! I have and have had so many clubs, some kept, most gone. I have been toying with great clubs for years, am a Titleist fan of their drivers and irons, as well Hogan Apex, everything from the Ping Eye 2's, i20's, to Callaway H2S2's, all great! But to address Sonartec, now they are in a league of their own! Nothing feels like that connection when you clock a Sonartec 13* some 260+ from the turf, or take a 19* MD some 240 on that clean press; the ball flight and boom from the face, commanding! The little kid inside wants to jump up and down say, "did you see that?"

I was at a professional fitting a while back and did just that with my MD as I was hitting i25 and 714 CB 5 irons. After some 40 balls or so my swing and grouping was locked. Took my 19* MD out and cleaned a shot with monitors, range, numbers and all the hoopla. The pro was watching (range balls no less), "holy smokes" he said, as he watched the ball fly and land! I offered to let him try the club, he declined!

[quote name='BeninNZ' timestamp='1391888562' post='8624411']
Im currently gaming a gs tour 14° with a protopype 80x but thinking of moving to a 4 wood as I dont often hit 3wood off the tee. Any offers on the 14° considered otherwise can stay in the backup bag
[/quote]That is not allowed, may want to put up ad in buy/sell/trade before receive notice from mods.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu