5 Things that make me go Hmmmm...

Mr 61

Each time I go to a golf course, I notice that same things that annoy me.

1.) Why does it take so long to pay? Each time I pay, I feel like I could buy a new car in the same amount of time. The cashier seems to be clicking around on the computer way too much. Sure, I'm not familiar with the software, but if it requires 20 clicks, it's out-of-date.

2.) Why is alcohol so expensive? I understand that alcohol will likely be more expensive at a golf course then a convenience store. But, why does it cost 5x more? For example, a 6-pack of Bud at the store is around $6-7. At my club, the same 6-pack, at happy hour prices (buy 5 get one free) costs $25. Then, you have to tip--so call it $30. Many courses try to prohibit outside alcohol from entering the course. Couldn't they simply charge a reasonable amount and people would be less tempted to bring their own?

3.) What is the purpose of a Ranger? I've been playing golf for 16 years and have never once seen a Ranger do anything that I'm expecting them to. Aren't they there to ensure a quick pace of play? I usually see them driving around looking for golf balls. So, my green fee is more to pay this guys salary, while I get absolutely no value.

4.) Why is Pro Shop merchandise so expensive? I understand that Pro Shop probably doesn't have the buying power of a Golfsmith. But, perhaps they could if they charged a reasonable amount. However, I think most Pro Shops are targeting the convenience side of the market. They know that if you arrive at a golf course without balls, tees, or a glove you're willing to pay the premium. What about clubs? Who is buying a club at a Pro Shop without shop credit or something?

5.) Why is the food so terrible? Everything is usually frozen and taste like crap. I think that at a minimum a course should be able to make a good burger--not frozen. Hell, give me a deal on a meal & beer with the purchase of an 18 hole round and I'm there! This could reduce the risk of fresh food going bad since many more people will be there to eat.

Can you think of something a golf course could do better to increase the player's value?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Hmm, I just lay my cash on the counter and I'm out of there.
2) Why are you killing a sixer at the course; remind me to stay off the road...
3) As the last heir to the throne of Gondor, their purpose is to foil Sauron and the minions of Mordor (couldn't resist)... Actually, by helping to look for lost balls, they may be trying to speed up play in a "friendly" way. I've used them for info on new courses (I play faster when I don't lose my ball in a hard-to-see chasm in the middle of the fairway).
4) Nail on the head; consumables (balls, tees, gloves, UMBRELLA) that you don't have and need, they have you over a barrel. If you are buying a club from the pro shop, you should be getting help in fitting from the pro. Clothes, only if you need the club logo...
5) I'm there to golf, not eat. Actually, some are better than others. If you don't like the food, don't eat there... I'm able to find a decent burger joint close by (but then, I'm in Portland...), [possibly as I haven't just had six beers]

And, I think you mean the value of the experience to the player; I don't expect them to increase my net worth, or value as a human being (or value on the open market; my wife might mind...).

1) Agreed. More often than not, I'm standing there tapping on the desk trying not to stare at the cart girl's a*s outside the window.

2) I bring my own alcohol. Forget them.

3) The courses I most often play don't have rangers. When I do see one somewhere, they're also drinking and occasionally hitting balls around.

4) The only thing I've ever purchased in a pro shop is a glove and tees.

5) Pretty hard to mess up a hot dog. Anything else can be consumed elsewhere if the food stinks. I enjoy the food at most of the courses in my area.

I'd like to have the option of 'renting' a fore caddie at every course if I feel like it. Preferably a female between the age of 18 and 25 who will constantly tell me how awesome I am and say things like, "I found your ball, down here by this tree."

G400 10.5* / TOUR AD GP-6s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
M4 3H / HZRDUS 85s
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX 50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

1) new software system at our course is fast, old was terrible and always made for long lines trying to pay

2) no idea what alcohol costs as I don't drink when I play

3) our rangers are awesome, not only friendly/helpful they are very effective at keeping pace up

4) pro shop is pricey but end of season deals are awesome, bought my wife's Grom way cheaper than anywhere else

5) can't argue this one, bought a hot dog last year and was wishing I could throw up two hours later to get rid of the pains, brats/burgers look so good on the grille but after the hot dog episode just can't go there again

Overall feel pretty lucky to have the course/conditions we have, manager retired last year and employees are much happier this year (assistant took over and a very nice guy) and a lot of overlooked maintenance has/is being done. To top it all off golf prices are 1/2 what they were where I used to live a few years ago with much better course conditions. But I totally get where others are coming from as I could agree much more with the OP if I still lived in Minnesota.

[quote name='Mr 61' timestamp='1371398533' post='7254700']

1.) Why does it take so long to pay? Each time I pay, I feel like I could buy a new car in the same amount of time. The cashier seems to be clicking around on the computer way too much. Sure, I'm not familiar with the software, but if it requires 20 clicks, it's out-of-date.

2.) Why is alcohol so expensive? I understand that alcohol will likely be more expensive at a golf course then a convenience store. But, why does it cost 5x more? For example, a 6-pack of Bud at the store is around $6-7. At my club, the same 6-pack, at happy hour prices (buy 5 get one free) costs $25. Then, you have to tip--so call it $30. Many courses try to prohibit outside alcohol from entering the course. Couldn't they simply charge a reasonable amount and people would be less tempted to bring their own?

3.) What is the purpose of a Ranger? I've been playing golf for 16 years and have never once seen a Ranger do anything that I'm expecting them to. Aren't they there to ensure a quick pace of play? I usually see them driving around looking for golf balls. So, my green fee is more to pay this guys salary, while I get absolutely no value.

4.) Why is Pro Shop merchandise so expensive? I understand that Pro Shop probably doesn't have the buying power of a Golfsmith. But, perhaps they could if they charged a reasonable amount. However, I think most Pro Shops are targeting the convenience side of the market. They know that if you arrive at a golf course without balls, tees, or a glove you're willing to pay the premium. What about clubs? Who is buying a club at a Pro Shop without shop credit or something?

5.) Why is the food so terrible? Everything is usually frozen and taste like crap. I think that at a minimum a course should be able to make a good burger--not frozen. Hell, give me a deal on a meal & beer with the purchase of an 18 hole round and I'm there! This could reduce the risk of fresh food going bad since many more people will be there to eat.

Can you think of something a golf course could do better to increase the player's value?
[/quote]

I can't relate to any of these! Alcohol is relatively cheap at my course. $13.50 for a 6 pack and the food is fantastic.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

[quote name='mallrat' timestamp='1371423892' post='7258070']
Why are we talking about Ford trucks or dudes that chase Yogi the bear?

One thing that drives me nuts is people think golf is a good excuse to drink and drive. NO IT'S NOT.
[/quote]

What the h*ll are you talking about?

G400 10.5* / TOUR AD GP-6s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
M4 3H / HZRDUS 85s
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX 50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

Alcohol is expensive at some golf courses simply because distributors don't cut them deals because they don't buy as much. On top of the fees of having a permit to sell alcohol and the cost of staffing a bar when the majority of customers don't buy alcohol (kind of a catch-22). I have worked at golf courses and a small chain liquor store and have seen that happen quite a bit. At least here in Indiana distributors can make it really hard to have competitive prices if you're not a part of a big chain or buying massive quantities. Also, in Indiana it is actually illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on to a golf course that could result in a $5000 fine for the course plus a fine for you as the consumer(I don't know how big the fine is for the consumer). It wouldn't surprise me if other states had similar laws.

[/quote]

1. Takes me about 3 min to pay and get out the door.
2. Alcohol licenses cost money and perhaps the high cost may defer the drunk driving that goes on.
3. Agreed with the ranger side, but when you play on a public course or a private one, in either case you cannot cheese off the players, on the pub side, they do not come back on the private side, you find yourself getting your boss chewed up by MR. I paid 250 K to be a member here which then rolls down hill. :angry22:
4. Pro shop merchandise here is pretty good, new Dry Joys 79.95 with a Titleist cap. Most of the other stuff no worse than i see in the stores
5. I do not normally eat at the course so that is a hard one to judge for me.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Last Saturday is the first time I have seen a ranger do more than talk about slow play. The group two in front of us were playing extremely slow, three HS aged boys and an older gentleman, they would each gather around a players ball, talk, hit, then proceed to the next players ball. The ranger made them skip the next hole. When the ranger came over to us, he informed us what he did and said they backed it up so much no one was on the next three holes.

Callaway Rogue Aldila Rogue
Callaway Rogue 3w Aldila Synergy
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 2 Aldila Synergy
Mizuno 919 Forged 4i - PW Dynamic Gold 105
Callaway MD4 Raw 52 S-Grind
Callaway MD4 Raw 56 S-Grind
Callaway MD3 60 PM Grind
Toulon Memphis

I can provide some insight to #1 because I work the counter part time where I play. The reason it takes so long to ring up a customer is the computer software we use. We use Quickbooks and everything has to be entered as a code. For example: noon-3 for a non-senior golfer during the week would be rang up as 23 and 14. 23 is for 18 holes and 14 is for the cart for 18 holes. The you have to enter the payment method and accept the transaction. It's a long drawn out process that is just as much of a pain for the guy behind the counter as it is for the golfer waiting. I really wish we would upgrade.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

'FadeOnly

In NH youre breaking state law which could cost not only you a bunch of money but the course it's liquor license. Which would cost many people their income. Think about that the next time you bring your own booze on the property.

We confiscate alcohol and politely but firmly ask the offending party to leave.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1371501472' post='7265958']
'FadeOnly

In NH youre breaking state law which could cost not only you a bunch of money but the course it's liquor license. Which would cost many people their income. Think about that the next time you bring your own booze on the property.

We confiscate alcohol and politely but firmly ask the offending party to leave.
[/quote]

Better idea...Move here to the good ol CA! Was just at a tourney the other day where multiple carts had a bottle of whiskey and a cooler full of coors light! I'm only good for a couple beers when I play just because I get terrible after that amount. But man those guys were putting it down!

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

[quote name='sunningotter' timestamp='1371402961' post='7255122']
1) Hmm, I just lay my cash on the counter and I'm out of there.
2) [b]Why are you killing a sixer at the course; remind me to stay off the road...[/b]
3) As the last heir to the throne of Gondor, their purpose is to foil Sauron and the minions of Mordor (couldn't resist)... Actually, by helping to look for lost balls, they may be trying to speed up play in a "friendly" way. I've used them for info on new courses (I play faster when I don't lose my ball in a hard-to-see chasm in the middle of the fairway).
4) Nail on the head; consumables (balls, tees, gloves, UMBRELLA) that you don't have and need, they have you over a barrel. If you are buying a club from the pro shop, you should be getting help in fitting from the pro. Clothes, only if you need the club logo...
5) I'm there to golf, not eat. Actually, some are better than others. If you don't like the food, don't eat there... I'm able to find a decent burger joint close by (but then, I'm in Portland...), [possibly as I haven't just had six beers]

And, I think you mean the value of the experience to the player; I don't expect them to increase my net worth, or value as a human being (or value on the open market; my wife might mind...).
[/quote]

6 bud lights in a 4-5 hour round would leave an average sized man under the legal .08 limit. Not necessarily suggested, but legal.

Interesting... Glad to see the joint I work does all those things well. Why go back if those are issues?

I don't think people realize how many hidden or not thought of costs go into a golf course. In 2013 it's not easy. If you work a week on the other side of the counter I think you'd be in awe of the way you're treated and the questions people ask or comments people make toward you.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

1.) Why does it take so long to pay?

2.) Why is alcohol so expensive?

3.) What is the purpose of a Ranger?

4.) Why is Pro Shop merchandise so expensive?

5.) Why is the food so terrible?
[/quote]

1.) I pay for a season's pass then all I have to do is poke my head into the proshop and say "hey".
2.) If you ever golf in Canada, you will not be happy.
3.) At my course the ranger serves no purpose I can see. 100% useless.
4.) Other than unique gear you can't get at a box store like Golf Town (course logos and different brands of putters of bags) the pro shop pricing is set so high it's ridiculous. The day I have to resort to paying $17 for a sleeve of balls (seriously) is the day I quit golfing.
5.) We got it pretty good at the courses in my area. The local muni has a great restaurant. My wife and I go for dinner there when we're not even golfing. My home course has a few special evenings with fancy food, but mostly it's sandwiches and dogs. Luckily they make great sandwiches!

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

I don't know how many of you have been a ranger but its one of the worst jobs on a golf course. There are some guys that are VERY good at talking to people the correct way and still getting the point across but its truly not a fun job. 99.99% of people that are slow golfers do not want to hear how slow they are and the blame is almost immediately placed on someone or something else. Slow players generally don't know or realize how slow they are and this creates a problem. The ranger cannot hit the shots for these guys and when he crosses that line between being polite and trying to enforce pace of play it causes an uproar.

Pace of play is by far the biggest struggle in public golf. Slow players are slow players- its really that simple. The course can do everything correctly to keep pace on time but sometimes that doesn't matter. I'm sure most of us have heard it all- from "I paid my greens fee so I'll do whatever I want/get my monies worth" to "it's the group in front of us" to "the pins are tough today" and the list can go on forever. How many of you would pick up and move forward 2 holes if you were behind? I know nobody on WRX is slow but the slow play confrontation generally doesn't go over well.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[/quote]

Never had a problem with #1.
#2. I like that people assume you are going to plow through the 6er by yourself. The most I have seen charged for a 6er was, and this was Budweiser mind you, and my buddy said, "I will go in and get a 6er at the turn." He comes out whitefaced and asks if I will split it, I say sure. I paid him, and I am not kidding... $20 for half. $6/ can plus tip.
#3. I don't mean to slander any rangers on this site, but all jobs have unpleasant parts to them. That is why they are jobs for which the employee is renumerated in some way. If a ranger cannot ask a group of people to speed up, then they should not have the job, and someone who can should be employed.
#4. It isn't just the price of the shirt which they don't have the buying power to begin with, but also the logoing of the shirt which depending on the number of colors, etc. can be up to $5/ shirt. And clubs don't sell a lot of apparel unless it is a logo since most people arrive at courses with clothing.
#5. The food sucks because overhead goes to the course. So they hire a flunky to microwave the food and dish it out. Sysco is a common provider for decidedly common food. If you want to eat good food don't go to golf courses, go to restaurants.

If I were to have a pet peeve at golf courses, none of yours rankle me...

What pisses me off is when it is $50 to play, and then $4 for range balls. Charge me $54 and I am happy as a clam. Split it up, and I won't return...

The last comment I don't understand.... you'd rather not know how much you're paying for range balls? I don't understand how charging two separate prices for golf and range is a big deal? Public golf courses that have a driving range cannot just set golf balls out for the public. Purchasing range balls are very expensive and to get that money back you have to actually charge to use the range and have some accountability to know who, when and what times range balls are being paid for with and without a round of golf. Either way I guess I don't have to "get" everything but that last plight seems pretty inconsequential to me.

I don't agree with your ranger comments either but its not something you understand until you've done it. I've never had a problem finding someone willing to be assertive and ask golfers to speed it up- its getting them to listen (and actually speed up) and the backlash it generally creates to be the biggest issues.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

1.) Why does it take so long to pay?

2.) Why is alcohol so expensive?

3.) What is the purpose of a Ranger?

4.) Why is Pro Shop merchandise so expensive?

5.) Why is the food so terrible?
[/quote]

1. Hit or miss. Most of the time it's only a couple minutes though.

2. While your mega liquor store can buy cases of beer for $16 and charge you $19 when they buy 30 cases, the small courses with little room to store has to buy what they need on a week to week basis. Alot of the times that equals paying a premium. You're also paying the cart girl's salary most of the time.

3. I've seen awesome ones, I've seen terrible ones. Again, hit or miss. Depends on the course.

4. Many times same as buying liquor in bulk. But you can be sure the Ping and Titleist merchandise are the same as at any GolfSmith or Golf Galaxy. The one thing I do appreciate about those companies. Their ethics.

5. I've always had a decent burger at the turn when I chose to partake. Usually just bring some cashews and a banana and stop on the way home though.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1371527492' post='7269410']
The last comment I don't understand.... you'd rather not know how much you're paying for range balls? I don't understand how charging two separate prices for golf and range is a big deal? Public golf courses that have a driving range cannot just set golf balls out for the public. Purchasing range balls are very expensive and to get that money back you have to actually charge to use the range and have some accountability to know who, when and what times range balls are being paid for with and without a round of golf. Either way I guess I don't have to "get" everything but that last plight seems pretty inconsequential to me.

I don't agree with your ranger comments either but its not something you understand until you've done it. I've never had a problem finding someone willing to be assertive and ask golfers to speed it up- its getting them to listen (and actually speed up) and the backlash it generally creates to be the biggest issues.
[/quote]

Okay we get it, you think rangers do a great job without getting enough respect.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[/quote]

He didn't say that. re-read his post. He's willing to pay $54 at once. There's nothing stopping them from charging for a bucket of balls if someone wants to just do that. But to charge only a greens fee, and then charge for range balls on top of it, particularly the further up you get in terms of quality of course, gives off the impression of nickel and diming. It's expensive to cut the grass on the course as well, but you don't see the course breaking down the green fee. They figure out the price they think will get them the traffic they want and bring in the revenue they want. Why is the range such a separate thing?

You want accountability, have the machine with the token. After all, your place isn't just setting out balls, so unless someone is there handing them out, there must be a machine. A person who paid for a round, gets a token. A person who paid for a bucket gets a token. A person who didn't pay for either of those, doesn't. How difficult is that?

Plus, don't forget, it's not about "well it costs me x to have this, so I need to charge x+y". It's about what gets people in the door. As a consumer I am asking, where is the value? Am I getting value for my money? And then there's the optics. Why not charge $55 and include the range balls, rather than $50, and then $5 separately. It gives the impression that I can expect a fee to everything. And the range isn't like food, where it is a completely different product. Warming up before round is frankly part of the round in my eyes, since I'd like to try and score on the first four holes rather than try and find my swing and get loose on them. The attitude in the past seems to have been, "I have a golf course here, and you will come here and do things the way I say." Which is fine, but people have options these days that weren't there before. The view needs to be "how do I get people to my facility, and keep them coming back."

JW, in direct response, I agree it is inconsequential. And I don't mind paying for range balls, but there is something about a separate fee for range balls that raises my hackles when I am paying to play golf. I did not ask for free golf balls, rather, include the $4 in the greens fee. It feels more comfortable to me... it is a pet peeve, and a way to increase (in my eyes anyway) value.

As for my ranger comment. I don't doubt it is difficult to police people who are unaware, on the other hand, if slow play is the #1 problem with golf then courses that do have rangers need to create speed of play expectations for them to police. I don't need a ranger asking me about the weather each time I am waiting to play a shot, I need the ranger telling the foursome ahead of me to play in 4:15 minutes.

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1371560612' post='7270882']

[/quote]

He didn't say that. re-read his post. He's willing to pay $54 at once. There's nothing stopping them from charging for a bucket of balls if someone wants to just do that. But to charge only a greens fee, and then charge for range balls on top of it, particularly the further up you get in terms of quality of course, gives off the impression of nickel and diming. It's expensive to cut the grass on the course as well, but you don't see the course breaking down the green fee. They figure out the price they think will get them the traffic they want and bring in the revenue they want. Why is the range such a separate thing?

You want accountability, have the machine with the token. After all, your place isn't just setting out balls, so unless someone is there handing them out, there must be a machine. A person who paid for a round, gets a token. A person who paid for a bucket gets a token. A person who didn't pay for either of those, doesn't. How difficult is that?

Plus, don't forget, it's not about "well it costs me x to have this, so I need to charge x+y". It's about what gets people in the door. As a consumer I am asking, where is the value? Am I getting value for my money? And then there's the optics. Why not charge $55 and include the range balls, rather than $50, and then $5 separately. It gives the impression that I can expect a fee to everything. And the range isn't like food, where it is a completely different product. Warming up before round is frankly part of the round in my eyes, since I'd like to try and score on the first four holes rather than try and find my swing and get loose on them. The attitude in the past seems to have been, "I have a golf course here, and you will come here and do things the way I say." Which is fine, but people have options these days that weren't there before. The view needs to be "how do I get people to my facility, and keep them coming back."
[/quote]

I am happy that you will gladly pay $5 more if its included in the greens fee to play my course only if you get range balls, I wish I had 100 more of you sir. The thing is that everyone else and their brother want to play for $20 with range balls, lunch, a free yardage guide and a back massage included. Good try but you are the exception not the rule.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole