Bryson DeChambeau Winning Again

disco111

The post saying golf "isn't rocket science" then saying it's harder is idiocracy.

The phrase "it isn't rocket science" is traditionally used to say a task isn't that difficult. It implies easiness or simplicity. So to follow that statement up with "it's a helluva lot harder" makes zero sense.

Right, its much harder than something easy or simple. Hence, "its harder than something that isn't rocket science" means that golf is harder than something easy i.e. its not easy.

Come on man, understanding how these phrases work isn't rocket science. Wait...

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

In answer to what bluedot eluded to, as far as what pro's do. Well the OEM's latched on to that freight train many, many moons ago and joe sixpack has bought into that con job hook line and sinker. Moe's natural golf had it's time share in the public eye and some remnants still remain in today's game. Humans are / will always be looking for something easier / simpler / better and if it worked for one, it could / should work for other's. SL irons seemingly work for some folks, as testament from other threads. But it's not for everybody.

Now for pinestreetgolf. I agree with the assessment that bad set ups will not make a good player. That part of the equation must be rectified, for any and all aspects of the golf swing to work correctly. But there are plenty of players that have gone past that stage and desire better results from a decent swing. Can SL give that to them? Apparently it can from stated reports and again, SL is not for everybody. I remember a statement that Ben Hogan made........."In the course of a round of golf, if I hit 4 or 5 shots as I intended, the rest are all acceptable misses". If SL gives you a better swing, then yes, that's better golf. At least IMO................

t

The post saying golf "isn't rocket science" then saying it's harder is idiocracy.

The phrase "it isn't rocket science" is traditionally used to say a task isn't that difficult. It implies easiness or simplicity. So to follow that statement up with "it's a helluva lot harder" makes zero sense.

Right, its much harder than something easy or simple. Hence, "its harder than something that isn't rocket science" means that golf is harder than something easy i.e. its not easy.

Come on man, understanding how these phrases work isn't rocket science. Wait...

He's saying golf is harder than... golf?

Huh?

No. Not a fan of Bryson at all. Do not like the way he goes about his business. This is golf not rocket science. And golf is a helluva lot harder

Really? Golf is a lot harder then being a rocket science? How could you possibly understand Bryson’s way of thought. If you think golf is a lot easier then being a rocket scientist.

Statistically speaking, making a living playing golf is WAY harder than as a rocket scientist. You have to be one of the best 1200 or so in the world to earn a great living at Golf. There’s that many rocket scientists working at NASA alone, not to mention the universities around the world.

It’s not close. Golf is way harder.

Comparing to world renown rocket scientist to world renown pro golfers and lets not forget the LPGA also, oh and the web, oh and also all the teachers. Yeah, your stats are off for sure. Can you honestly name 1200 world renown rocket scientist? I highly doubt it. I’m sure you can probably pull up 1200 PGA, LPGA, and semi pro golfers, and teachers that make a living off of golf. Anybody can say they golf or is a part of golf. But can anyone say they are a rocket scientist? Honestly, when have you heard someone tell they are a rocket scientist?

I know several rocket scientists and I am a PhD student in Anthropology. Not even close to the same field. I know zero pro golfers. I don't even personally know any golfers that are better than a +1 and they wouldn't even sniff it on the Hooters tour. You're wrong on this. It's a lot easier to become "smart" than it is to become so physically gifted at muscle memory and timing that you can hit an inch wide ball with a 3 inch wide blade perfectly in the middle every time with a dead square club face with masterful distance control and launch parameters allowing the ball to get closer to the hole significantly more on average.

Just because you don’t know any pro golfers and do happen to know a few rocket scientists (which makes sense since you’re a scientist) doesn’t mean golf is harder than rocket science.

Is golf harder than brain surgery??? That’s the real question.

No. Not a fan of Bryson at all. Do not like the way he goes about his business. This is golf not rocket science. And golf is a helluva lot harder

Really? Golf is a lot harder then being a rocket science? How could you possibly understand Bryson’s way of thought. If you think golf is a lot easier then being a rocket scientist.

Statistically speaking, making a living playing golf is WAY harder than as a rocket scientist. You have to be one of the best 1200 or so in the world to earn a great living at Golf. There’s that many rocket scientists working at NASA alone, not to mention the universities around the world.

It’s not close. Golf is way harder.

In which field are there more job opportunities- rocket science or professional golf? How does that relate to either course if study being actually harder than the other? Harder for whom?

I posed the question of which was more difficult (golf/rocket science) as a joke, as I’m not sure it’s answerable in any meaningful way.

I have played single length irons for almost 35 years now. David Edel made me a custom set of Edel blacked out forged slight cavity back irons. I also just received the same exact specs of what Bryson Dechambeau used to win the amateur and the college nationals in The Brick Proto PUTTER. So excited. I was low on cash so I had it listed for 2000 but now I am gaming it. (I am blessed to have someone helping me with tournament fees). I don't know how to post pictures. But I think my setup is cool! And i guess that's the most important thing. Jk

Here's another hypothetical for my fellow SL dabblers: what do you think would be most beneficial, purely from a club standpoint, for the beginner to mid handicap player: a set of properly fitted single-length irons or a fitted all-hybrid set (like the Cleveland Launcher HB's)?

Too many variables to say from just this. I'd always argue that a set of hybrids is going to benefit a lot of players far more than any iron would. The MOI is much higher, the centre of gravity is lower, and the ball speed will be hotter. However, for someone who maybe hits the ball high with a lot of spin, or is a sweeper, rather than hitting down on it, the extra sole width could pose a problem. Having said that, when I worked my big box gig we were constantly sold out of the Launcher HBs because they are that good. The G700 from what I hear is trending in that direction as well.

Forgiveness is always your friend.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.

Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.

For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

Cobra Forged One Length 2022 LA Golf Bryson Shafts

Cobra Forged One Length 54/60

Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.

Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.

For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.

We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.

If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.

SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.

If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Thanks for the input.

Wouldn’t an all-hybrid set with its higher MOI also serve to keep mishit balls on-line?

It’s been my experience that it does, and SL does basically the same thing for me as well due to more centered hits.

So I’m torn. I have an all-hybrid set and an SL set. Guess I’ll need to play both for a season or so and see what shakes out.

We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.

If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.

SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.

If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

Never having an errant shot is a long time.

But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it’s effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you’re swinging the same club from 5-LW.

And for me personally, my SL set essentially travels the same distances as my VL set, mostly due to the low lofted SL irons/hybrid being high COR.

But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it's effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you're swinging the same club from 5-LW.

And for me personally, my SL set essentially travels the same distances as my VL set, mostly due to the low lofted SL irons/hybrid being high COR.

Oh, I totally agree that there can be more accurate clubs with less dispersion for a golfer for sure. I just think a lot of people get fooled. They think they've gotten shorter and more accurate when all they've gotten is shorter. Given his comment about "never" having a mis-hit, I suspect his brain might be distorting his results a bit.

I play SL in my short clubs. For some reason, I feel very uncomfortable with a short low lofted club. I'm not saying the idea can't work, I just swing too hard and lose path because it doesn't feel right.

It wasn't a knock on SL, but his post in particular.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

It is a combination of both but I think you are missing a variable.

For me and from everyone I've seen try it and from all the video reviews online the dispersion tightens up dramatically across the board.

Obviously if you miss a 100 yard shot it won't have the ability to travel as far off line because its not going as far as a 200 yard shot. That said, my 200 yard shots with single length don't vary anywhere near as much as my 200 yard shots with variable length. This is despite the fact that I gotta hit a 4 iron with a single length set and a 5 iron with variable length.

The length of the shaft plays a huge role in that because frankly I just don't mishit many and when I do mishit them its a lot more minor.

As soon as I transition to my driving iron, fairway wood, or driver the degree of misses goes up pretty dramatically due to the length of the shaft on the club.

If you haven't tried it you might not get where I'm coming from but its a fact.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it's effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you're swinging the same club from 5-LW.

Oh, I totally agree that there can be more accurate clubs with less dispersion for a golfer for sure. I just think a lot of people get fooled. They think they've gotten shorter and more accurate when all they've gotten is shorter. Given his comment about "never" having a mis-hit, I suspect his brain might be distorting his results a bit.

I play SL in my short clubs. For some reason, I feel very uncomfortable with a short low lofted club. I'm not saying the idea can't work, I just swing too hard and lose path because it doesn't feel right.

That is where the disconnect is for us.

In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.

Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.

Also I went single plane single length which made a huge difference as well.

https://www.youtube....h?v=NnikseVFSWA

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.

Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.

I don't need as much hip hinge and I can stand further away from the ball. Everything 8 iron and lower is 36" 64.5* lie. I don't find it easy as can be. I find it pretty difficult to hit VL wedges variable distances. I find the clock system to hit intermediate yardage to be much easier with SL clubs (the heads are all weighted up to around 340 grams as well). I'm not much of a feel player in the wedge game. I like it to be really mechanical as far as length backswing to yardage, and SL really helps with that.

You have an excellent wedge swing, especially your path. Its hard to tell a bit b/c of the camera angle not being directly behind or to the side of you but impact is solid. I'm not saying if you gave me a 35.5" sand wedge I'd just shoot 90, but I find a long club more comfortable around the greens.

Different strokes different folks. I've tried SL and I like the concept in my short irons. I just don't feel right hitting a SL long iron. Had a I learned to play on them that might be different.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I don't need as much hip hinge and I can stand further away from the ball. Everything 8 iron and lower is 36" 64.5* lie. I don't find it easy as can be. I find it pretty difficult to hit VL wedges variable distances. I find the clock system to hit intermediate yardage to be much easier with SL clubs (the heads are all weighted up to around 340 grams as well). I'm not much of a feel player in the wedge game. I like it to be really mechanical as far as length backswing to yardage, and SL really helps with that.

You have an excellent wedge swing, especially your path. Its hard to tell a bit b/c of the camera angle not being directly behind or to the side of you but impact is solid. I'm not saying if you gave me a 35.5" sand wedge I'd just shoot 90, but I find a long club more comfortable around the greens.

Different strokes different folks. I've tried SL and I like the concept in my short irons. I just don't feel right hitting a SL long iron. Had a I learned to play on them that might be different.

My issue is single length single plane really solved a lot of problems for me but it created one huge problem which im choosing to live with.

When you go single plane single length everything gets very repetitive and robotic which I really like better because with two small kids I don't have time to be a "feel" player. If I was hitting balls all day and working on my game I would feel differently but I need it to feel robotic and repetitive because I know my tempo and other things will start getting wacky which with plane shifts and different length clubs can wind up having disasterous results.

However single length single plane I feel like I can rip at stuff and not worry about getting the truly awful results.

That said when I deviate and have balls that aren't tee'd up I can run into issues because it changes from the norm that I get so engrained in. The clubs that I actively use are driver off the tee which is about 265 carry down to an old bridgestone driving iron which I carry about 210. I don't have much trust in anything in between that I contact the ground with because the plane changes and I impact the ground.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

My issue is single length single plane really solved a lot of problems for me but it created one huge problem which im choosing to live with.

When you go single plane single length everything gets very repetitive and robotic which I really like better because with two small kids I don't have time to be a "feel" player. If I was hitting balls all day and working on my game I would feel differently but I need it to feel robotic and repetitive because I know my tempo and other things will start getting wacky which with plane shifts and different length clubs can wind up having disasterous results.

However single length single plane I feel like I can rip at stuff and not worry about getting the truly awful results.

That said when I deviate and have balls that aren't tee'd up I can run into issues because it changes from the norm that I get so engrained in. The clubs that I actively use are driver off the tee which is about 265 carry down to an old bridgestone driving iron which I carry about 210. I don't have much trust in anything in between that I contact the ground with because the plane changes and I impact the ground.

On another topic.... we're both from New Orleans! Where do you play out of? I'm a member at TPC, but play where-ever. Lets get a round in sometime.

I have a 10 month old, so I totally get where you are coming from. I've been thinking about giving SL another go since I have so much less time to practice.

Its an interesting concept for sure. Going one plane is, like you said, only possible off the tee. I play my clubs extremely upright and feel like the only thing that moves is my arms. Now on video of course that isn't the case but its a good feel for me to strike the ball well. Otherwise i dip my right side and spin out and all sorts of other horrible things.

EDIT -

Who dat. Season ticket holder since 06. Section 706. When Hartley hit that kick I went nuts for like a week. I ended up playing a few rounds with him. Great guy.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.

And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.

He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...

We call him the Tin Man.

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore PRO 1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.

And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.

He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...

Maybe instead of emulating literally, exactly what he does, we should strive to emulate his spirit: he thinks out of the box with his goal the lowest score possible, and he doesn't care if other people think he looks stupid. I don't think using a compass would work for me necessarily, or 71* lie angle irons, but the singular pursuit of your best possible game regardless of tradition or self-consciousness is a great thing to emulate IMO.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Maybe instead of emulating literally, exactly what he does, we should strive to emulate his spirit: he thinks out of the box with his goal the lowest score possible, and he doesn't care if other people think he looks stupid. I don't think using a compass would work for me necessarily, or 71* lie angle irons, but the singular pursuit of your best possible game regardless of tradition or self-consciousness is a great thing to emulate IMO.

With this, I agree 100%.

I've been putting face on/side saddle for three years now; I wanted to see if I could make more putts, and I do. The reactions I get early in a round are often very different from the reactions that I get later in the round, and really good players never bat an eye; it's the chops who lose their mind when they see me putt.

This is what has happened now with putting. People are finally realizing that the "perfect textbook" grip or putting stroke is not right for everyone. And now that thought is slowly flowing over to other aspects of the game because a lot of new golf instructors are more open minded about someone's natural swing plane.

I have played single length irons for almost 35 years now. David Edel made me a custom set of Edel blacked out forged slight cavity back irons. I also just received the same exact specs of what Bryson Dechambeau used to win the amateur and the college nationals in The Brick Proto PUTTER. So excited. I was low on cash so I had it listed for 2000 but now I am gaming it. (I am blessed to have someone helping me with tournament fees). I don't know how to post pictures. But I think my setup is cool! And i guess that's the most important thing. Jk

-Would love to see a picture of those clubs - I have been to Edel in Liberty Hills and was fitted - What a super bunch of folks- Hoping to get my SL set ordered from them after the summer

-They have Brysons original set that he won the amateur on display there-

Good Luck to you- I hope you make it

Just because you don't know any pro golfers and do happen to know a few rocket scientists (which makes sense since you're a scientist) doesn't mean golf is harder than rocket science.

Is golf harder than brain surgery??? That's the real question.

I used to play golf with a bunch of guys from NASA who were fond of saying that rocket science wasn't 'rocket science'.

• 4 weeks later...

classy handshake sunday

I’ve tried to find a way to like DeChambeau, but his handshake on the 18th green yesterday sealed the deal..... he’s a piece of work. It’s hard for me to root against a golfer, but I think I’ll do so for Bryson going forward.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball