If Evnroll...

Comments

• longballjslongballjs Members Posts: 1,454
    I didn't think the rife putters had the same grooves as evnroll, I think they are all symmetrical in rife

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5 Fujikura Pro Green 62 xstiff

Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Evnroll ER 5
  • nosilnosil Members Posts: 792 ✭✭

Your correct, but my inquiry has nothing to do with advertising, I simply asked who plays them. Besides, Playing their putter in a televised golf tournament makes it an obvious discovery that they should be able to discuss based on a direct request for information.

It is still using a players name without their permission and a form of advertising.

As to why I don't think pros are using the putter. The center of the face is designed to not hit the ball as far as the edges of the putters. I read a comment from Sean Toulon about a putter he had a pro try and the player told him that it was a nice putter but it was too hot off the face and rolled the ball too far. IMO Pros have grooved their stroke lengths for certain distances and by playing an EVNRoll putter, they don't get the same roll they are used too.
  • sleuthsleuth Members Posts: 696 ✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 #34
    I love Rife putters, so EVNROLL was a natural progression for me. I haven't used the Guerin Design putters with the wave groove technology, but I find it hard to believe that grooves make a large difference outside of feel.

I hear the groove debate a lot in wedges and most agree that it's simply helpful to clear debris. I recall conversations about Maltby saying grooveless wedges/irons will still impart a significant amount of spin. If true - why are grooves so drastically different in putters? This I cannot answer, but something that nags me time to time when I see all this forward roll talk. I don't think there is a right answer to this one, and the same no win debate as ball compression.

Just play it if you like it.
  • Calif_MulliganCalif_Mulligan Members Posts: 259
    longballjs wrote:

I didn't think the rife putters had the same grooves as evnroll, I think they are all symmetrical in rife

'Guerin Design Putters Company' of Carlsbad is not Rife...which is located in Seattle.
  • thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,065 ✭✭
    I just played my third round with my ER2. I had 38 putts that included 3 three-putts and a four-putt. Those bad putts were all on me. Where this putter shines is distance control from putts outside 15 feet. I had quite a few tap-ins on top of those bad putt showings. The ER2 is a solid putter for me. More so than my O-works #9.
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • vwgolfervwgolfer Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    Who cares what the pros play. If you did you would be playing a beat up piece of junk like Sneds plays.
    F8 attas cool
    F8 3w. attas 3
    F6 hybrid. vts silver
    Z565. recoil 95
    Pur wedges
    Piretti Matera
  • YzmerfYzmerf Members Posts: 663 ✭✭
    nosil wrote:

Your correct, but my inquiry has nothing to do with advertising, I simply asked who plays them. Besides, Playing their putter in a televised golf tournament makes it an obvious discovery that they should be able to discuss based on a direct request for information.

It is still using a players name without their permission and a form of advertising.

As to why I don't think pros are using the putter. The center of the face is designed to not hit the ball as far as the edges of the putters. I read a comment from Sean Toulon about a putter he had a pro try and the player told him that it was a nice putter but it was too hot off the face and rolled the ball too far. IMO Pros have grooved their stroke lengths for certain distances and by playing an EVNRoll putter, they don't get the same roll they are used too.

The groves are designed to hit the ball the same distance no matter where you hit it on the face. Toe or heel strikes loose distance the groves make up for that. The middle of the face where the grooves are the widest actually absorbs energy.
    TaylorMade M1 10.5 Diamana 60 S+
    TaylorMade M1 17 degree White Tie
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade 770 4-P KBS Tour FLT
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
    Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

The groves are designed to hit the ball the same distance no matter where you hit it on the face. Toe or heel strikes loose distance the groves make up for that. The middle of the face where the grooves are the widest actually absorbs energy.

Yes, I realize that. The grooved in the middle make a 20 foot putt roll lets say 19 feet and the offcenter hits roll 19 feet making them roll the same. A pro thinking they are hitting a putt 20 feet that only goes 19 will create issues.
    nosil wrote:

Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

Yes, I realize that. The grooved in the middle make a 20 foot putt roll lets say 19 feet and the offcenter hits roll 19 feet making them roll the same. A pro thinking they are hitting a putt 20 feet that only goes 19 will create issues.

So you are saying they cant adjust? There is an adjustment period just like any other putter but one you have the center dialed in, you also have slight mishits as well. If your speed is right you will catch more edges and more will fall.

By the way, noticed the Evnroll bag on the green at Sawgrass, just a matter of time.
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
    Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

Yzmerf wrote:

nosil wrote:

So you are saying they cant adjust? There is an adjustment period just like any other putter but one you have the center dialed in, you also have slight mishits as well. If your speed is right you will catch more edges and more will fall.

By the way, noticed the Evnroll bag on the green at Sawgrass, just a matter of time.

No, not saying they can't adjust. Please reference my comment regarding Sean Toulon's discussion with professional players; they would prefer not too.
    I guess I can't fathom that kind of touch.
    TayorMade 790 3 iron
    TaylorMade MG 50-09
    TaylorMade MG 54-11
    TaylorMade MG 58-11
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
    TP5
    Prosoft inserts
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    Very nice line of putters, but not a high probability of being around in two years unless one of the big boys purchases them. His first company, Rife, was around 3 years (?) before almost going bankrupt, basically ceasing operations and later being sold to Innovex. Golf equipment market is just too competitive for most small industry players like this.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,177 ✭✭

Very nice line of putters, but not a high probability of being around in two years unless one of the big boys purchases them. His first company, Rife, was around 3 years (?) before almost going bankrupt, basically ceasing operations and later being sold to Innovex. Golf equipment market is just too competitive for most small industry players like this.

Rife started selling putters in 2005 or 06
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny Members Posts: 458 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

Rife started selling putters in 2005 or 06

Rife as a company by Guerin Rife and investors ceased to exist after it shutdown operations in late 2009. What you have now is a brand, that was purchased in early 2010 by Innovex. Guerin Rife nor any of the original design team have worked with the Rife product in 8 years.
  • greenj20greenj20 Members Posts: 20
    Intersting interview here. Only reason he didn't make it with Rife was Cobra bailing out at the last minute.

Some good stuff here about how the putters are built and how they are intended to be used. (2 dots for a reason). Love my ER2.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fairway: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade - M2 2017 3 HL[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7 3H, Cobra - King F8 ONE 4H, 5H [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE PW-6[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE GW (50), SW (55)[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Evnroll ER2[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vice - Pro+ Lime[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Sun Mountain Phantom - Black[/font][/font]
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    I like them because they are a very tingy, old ping like feel, which I have an affinity to. Can be found for a much more reasonable price now too. Just picked up a brand new ER5 for $209 shipped.
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!!! Members Posts: 1,114 ClubWRX
    I love my ER5 hatchback. Weight is perfect for me and I have reduced my number of 3 putts.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In My Bag[/background][/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g[/background][/font]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX[/background]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Vokey SM6 58*, 50*[/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Evnroll ER5 [/background]
    [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Snell MTB/TP5X[/background][/font]

#insideTMAG 2013
  • Life on 14Life on 14 Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Agreed, don’t judge the quality on tour usage. But also let’s be realistic that changing the surface area as you progress from center to off center is not going to fully mitigate the energy loss from hitting it off center. Been on quintic myself and see the effect of off center hits is still really dramatic no matter what putter.
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 248 ✭✭

Ping requires players to use their putter no ifs and or butts.

The other Companies are not as rigid. However much is based on the player and how good they are.

If Phil told Callaway I am playing with _____ Putter he can get away with it. Same thing probably for anyone in the top 50 World rankings at the time they sign their contract. Callaway does require some players to play Odyssey or Toulon putters. Kisner, has played an Odyssey most of his career (at least since I met him right out of college other than when he played a SSB Custom for two years) so I am not sure where the line is.

Bottom line is players have more leeway with putters than any other club. However EVNROLL has very little to no presence on the PGA tour so far. I know they have been to a couple of events, and they have spent a bunch of time on the Champions and LPGA tours. They have a win by a LPGA player. Rife putters started and really made their name on the LPGA and Champions tour, seems to reason they would start their this time around too. I do know a couple of PGA players have orders in for special EVNROLLS. The problem is EVNROLL cannot announce anything since they are not paying people.

Tony Finau is a PING player but uses a Piretti Putter.
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,312 ✭✭
    To the original OP they are on tour FYI but money is the game my friend they do not pay to play and unfortunately many pros require pay to play it’s that simple. And secondly the feel is subjective especially in putters imo Scotty’s are overrated yet a lot of p,Ayers use the, because of money. Now Scotty’s would be played even if they didn’t pay pros but no where the percentages in play if he did t offer money. It’s that simple...
    Signature of Solon CC
    Ping G410 plus 10.5 w/Fujikura Evo 661 IV stiff 45”
    TEE XCG6 15* w/ Accra FX200F M4 (Stiff) 75g
    Titleist 917 f2 Diamana Thump 18 degree
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80
    Callaway Tour Issue Hot Melt Apex 3 hybrid KK Silver 80
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll er9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
    Maximilian wrote:

I don't really get that. I'm on Seemore's mailing list and any time Zach Johnson does anything of interest they send out an email about it, but they never use his name. I don't understand why they can't?

Zach is a staff member Evnroll does not have the right to release players names
    Signature of Solon CC
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    I had a TR Anser and the feel was too muted, not for me. Nice clickety smack off a fine mill is where it's at.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana LE 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana LE 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    One of the main reasons for the number of Scotty Cameron putters on tour is their fitting and and ability to mill what a player wants. Most smaller companies can’t compete with that aspect of putter building. He has the most experience in that regard. That makes him valuable to tour players beyond what a small manufacturer can give. The putter may not be that much better than anything else out there but the fitting is.

One of the main reasons for the number of Scotty Cameron putters on tour is their fitting and and ability to mill what a player wants. Most smaller companies can’t compete with that aspect of putter building. He has the most experience in that regard. That makes him valuable to tour players beyond what a small manufacturer can give. The putter may not be that much better than anything else out there but the fitting is.

You forgot one main point Scotty pays to play. I promise you I have some good friends in the golf industry and the smaller companies have the same resources as Scotty. Money money money is the key missing word.
    Signature of Solon CC
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,610 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 4:08pm #56
    woods991 wrote:

You forgot one main point Scotty pays to play. I promise you I have some good friends in the golf industry and the smaller companies have the same resources as Scotty. Money money money is the key missing word.

Scotty does not do pay for play. Titlest may pay for a full bag but Scotty has said many times he doesn’t pay anybody to use his putters.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

woods991 wrote:

Scotty does not do pay for play. Titlest may pay for a full bag but Scotty has said many times he doesn’t pay anybody to use his putters.

A good jr player who is ranked can go to Scotty’s fitting center and get treated like a pro. I personally know two who have. I don’t know for sure but suspect they didn’t pay for the service. It builds a tremendous amount of loyalty.
    edited Mar 16, 2019 8:33pm #58
    noodle3872 wrote:

woods991 wrote:

Titleist pays to play which owns Scotty
    Signature of Solon CC
  • mcasella08mcasella08 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Pros hit the sweet spot every time, do you?
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,038 ✭✭

I like my ER2 putter, the tech seems to work very
    well. Great feel and consistant roll on putts.
    Seem to make my fair share, if not, usually left with a tap in.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • RTEM5746RTEM5746 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Having watched many videos with pros on youtube about their equipment and "what's in the bag", it surprises me how little they know about the technology behind their clubs. A lot of them seem to use clubs based primarily on looks and feel and "this is what I'm used to" so it doesn't surprise me at all that Evnroll hasn't got a foothold on the PGA tour. Whether it's contract or money based, these guys don't know or even want to know the tech behind Evnroll or any other putter for that matter. Basically I wouldn't measure Evnroll by how many tour pros use them for this reason.