Hi toe help, question?

russian7 ·  
russian7russian7 Members  2632WRX Points: 115Posts: 2,632 Titanium Tees

Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

Posted:

Comments

• gvogelgvogel Members  8207WRX Points: 1,161Posts: 8,207 Titanium Tees

Could be shaft, could be club lie.

Get rid of it, the club isn't working for you. It happens.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1758WRX Points: 250Handicap: ?Posts: 1,758 Platinum Tees

It’s you, not the club. I haven’t had any issues.
    Check your lie angles though. But also record your swing.

Posted:
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2508WRX Points: 416Posts: 2,508 Titanium Tees

I'd check the lie of the HI Toe to see if it is the same as your other 58s. If the lies are all the same, then it's you.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • russian7russian7 Members  2632WRX Points: 115Posts: 2,632 Titanium Tees

On -, @Stanks said:

I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

Posted:
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members  1427WRX Points: 182Handicap: 4Posts: 1,427 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @Stanks said:

I am a plus one handicap it's definitely not me, I had four other 58 degree wedges on the range at the same time and I can hit shots right at the flag with every one of them but the high Toe... it's the only one that veers off right of the target every time

I finally got my 56/60 hi toe (4way grind) on the practice range today and it seems like the toe side has more pronounced bounce. I noticed a few flops and pitches that started a shade to the right. I am no expert but maybe that is it?

I posted a side by side picture in another hi toe thread and had the 56 laid open vs my old milled grind 56 and while it’s hard to see, it seems like it’s catching some toe side with the 56HT.

Posted:
  • taylormade4lifetaylormade4life Members  1427WRX Points: 182Handicap: 4Posts: 1,427 Platinum Tees

Posted:

Advertisement
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

Hello, i just got a 52/58, so with the 58 hi toe an skinny neck every shot is a straight line 5yds right of target, can anyone explain if its the design or turf interaction or what would cause this? I have 3 other 58s an the hi toe is the only one that does this its so frustrating. Chip shots are fine but all full swings go straight and to the right, not a cut but jus straight right of target i cant explain it ???

Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers  2485WRX Points: 738Handicap: 0.9Posts: 2,485 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @Stanks said:

If you’re +1 adjust for the difference and stop bitching, if there is still a consistency issue it’s you.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2 w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Hybrid: Titleist 718 H2 w/Atmos Blue TS 
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone XS
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4279WRX Points: 754Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,279 Titanium Tees

Yeah when I built mine for the contest, the bounces are really high.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1758WRX Points: 250Handicap: ?Posts: 1,758 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @Stanks said:

Don’t choke on your pride, little guy.
    What are the lie angles of the other wedges? Gimme clay and I’ll make you bricks, son. Need more details.

Posted:

On -, @phatchrisrules said:

On -, @russian7 said:

Wait, I'm confused. So you're shanking it, but you don't shank any other wedge? Or are you hitting it thin and it's landing 5y right of target? If a) then it doesn't matter if you're a +1, you're shanking it...it's on you. If b), then the lie angle and length (and maybe shaft too) are wrong and you need to get those checked to match.

First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @GolfChannel said:

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @Stanks said:

If you’re +1 adjust for the difference and stop bitching, if there is still a consistency issue it’s you.

Hmmm. Why would i revolve my game around one club going right and have to change my aim points for one club? I would never do that, all shots equal target line equal lies equal....the hi toe goes right period

Posted:

On -, @Stanks said:

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @Stanks said:

Don’t choke on your pride, little guy.
    What are the lie angles of the other wedges? Gimme clay and I’ll make you bricks, son. Need more details.

Yes agreed, all wedges have same lie angles i had them checked on digital lie machine, it has to be the toe or grind catching turf causing face to slightly open i have no idea...

Posted:

On -, @taylormade4life said:

Very plausible, could be the answer...

Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj Members  643WRX Points: 227Posts: 643 Golden Tee

If the club and grind don't work for you then just get rid of it. Why frustrate yourself if you have three other 58s that work?

Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @russian7 said:

First, no one said shank i said right of target, same ball flight and yardage but always right, might be the toe grind catching opening the face, but dont claim im shanking... im saying well struck shots right of target all day, every wedge i own is stock lie ...

And I quote "skinny neck every shot" is not the same as "well struck shots right of target all day". A skinny neck shot is a shank, a well struck shot right of target is a lie angle/face angle issue. Either way, agree with every one, just get rid of it if you have 3 others that work well.

Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Advertisement
  • knackersknackers Members  33WRX Points: 16Posts: 33 Bunkers

either toe end catching on the ground leaving it open or with the hi-toe, i don't know how they designed it, but with the extra mass have they offset the weight ? could be toe heavy and that extra weight not closing up at impact ?

Posted:
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 583Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees

Why is this “toe hitting the turf and opening up the club” myth so common even on a site like this??

Unless the lie angle is obscenely off, On any well struck shot with any iron THE BALL IS LONG GONE BEFORE THE TOE CAN “hit the turf and open the face”. You hit the ball a fraction of a second BEFORE you hit the ground.

Incorrect Lie angle will cause the ball to automatically launch left or right of target but the ground does not open or close the face unless the shot is hit incredibly fat or the lie is EXTREMELY off, or both.

Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    PXG gen 1 tours 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 583Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees

....and for what it’s worth, some wedges just don’t suit some people’s swings.

15 years ago I had a Hogan 56 sand wedge that looked absolutely beautiful to my eye but I ALWAYS hit a just a few yards left of target. I checked the lie angle twice. Spot on. It just always wanted to go left.. I finally just gave up on it as one of life’s unsolved mysteries and it went on eBay.

Posted:
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • toctoc Members  2899WRX Points: 614Posts: 2,899 Titanium Tees

Even if it’s the same lie as your other wedges maybe it just needs to be a degree flatter

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

On -, @toc said:

Even if it’s the same lie as your other wedges maybe it just needs to be a degree flatter.

Likely. Most people do better and avoid pulls with sand and lob wedges that are .5 to 1.5 degree flatter than the rest of their irons.

Posted:
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

Advertisement

I believe Big Dawg Vokey recommended lies 1 - 2 degrees flatter than your iron sets from a Crossfield youtube a little while ago. All of my wedges are stock lie where as my irons are 1 upright. Everyone is different though.

Posted:

On -, @toc said:

Even if it’s the same lie as your other wedges maybe it just needs to be a degree flatter

Good idea, but upright, the ball is always going right of target so maybe its too flat now

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60 Members  1016WRX Points: 486Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @russian7 said:

It’s the lie angle...go have it bent 1 degree upright from where it’s at. The sole and heel relief in the HiToe in my opinion and experience make it play flatter than the lie angle reading. It’s probably at 64* and plays like it’s at 63*

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• TommyjTommyj Members  643WRX Points: 227Posts: 643 Golden Tee

On -, @Stanks said:

I believe Big Dawg Vokey recommended lies 1 - 2 degrees flatter than your iron sets from a Crossfield youtube a little while ago. All of my wedges are stock lie where as my irons are 1 upright. Everyone is different though.

Stan Utley recommends that as well. I was fit at Ping about 5 years ago and the fitter also said that lots of players go with flatter wedges.

Posted:

On -, @mogc60 said:

On -, @russian7 said:

On -, @russian7 said:

It’s the lie angle...go have it bent 1 degree upright from where it’s at. The sole and heel relief in the HiToe in my opinion and experience make it play flatter than the lie angle reading. It’s probably at 64* and plays like it’s at 63*

Thanks

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.