2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

I’ll second Schnee on the shorter swing. I was at Montes Seattle clinic a couple years ago and one of the most memorable things was Monte repeating over and over, hell he was almost pleading with us to shorten our swings. A couple of years later I’m starting to understand it, but on bad days your instinct is to just give up and revert. Good days it still seems not possible to hit the ball with distance and accuracy, like it’s a fluke and your just getting lucky.

• Like 1

Its a tourney and u have not played many and you are a 7 cap? I like to gamble. And i generallly gamble succcessfully. Id set the over/under at 15 over par for your round. And thats assuming a totally neautral course of avg slope. Seriously. So you did right where id expect anyone in ur shoes to perform. You need more tourney rounds and maybe u need to shorten ur swing or whatever. You know that stuff. But the tourney score. Its really not bad. For guys that havent played "real golf". I generally double their cap and thats about what they shoot when they tee it up for real. So dont beat yourself up.

and by the way. If you dont have arm overrun in your swing, why are we hellbent on shortening it ? U can fix a flip without shortening a swing. Guys with slower tempo have hell shortening their swings.

• Like 1

> @b_f_c_99 said:

> I’ll second Schnee on the shorter swing. I was at Montes Seattle clinic a couple years ago and one of the most memorable things was Monte repeating over and over, **** he was almost pleading with us to shorten our swings. A couple of years later I’m starting to understand it, but on bad days your instinct is to just give up and revert. Good days it still seems not possible to hit the ball with distance and accuracy, like it’s a fluke and your just getting lucky.

>

>

>

>

The funny thing is, my "3/4 swing" which should be my max backswing, goes just as far if not farther usually because of efficiency and better impact conditions (actually having forward shaft lean and not flipping/ wiping the ball). I have been telling myself over almost every shot or walking up to my next shot on nearly every round the last few weeks - "make that 3/4 swing". I say to my regular partner at least once or twice a round, "Why is it so hard to convince myself to keep swinging shorter when it usually produces better results and foes just as far". It's the space between my ears keeping me from engraining it and repeating it.

I believe a big part of my problem is a real lack of awareness of where my arms/hands are in space compared to the rest of me. The difference in feel vs real for me, in my backswing length/position could just as well be equal to the width of the grand canyon. I'm going to attempt to come up with some feedback station to help me feel where to stop.

I had a TPI screening done like 18 months ago, closer to the time I had my hip replaced. It did reveal I flatten my shoulder plane and reverse pivot (extend back toward target) in an effort to "cheat" for more turn. So, when I do position work at home feeling like my left shoulder works a little more vertical helps. Also, flexing my core seems to prevent my lower back from that reverse pivot as I can feel better when I start to hit my real end ROM.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @elthrill said:

> Its a tourney and u have not played many and you are a 7 cap? I like to gamble. And i generallly gamble succcessfully. Id set the over/under at 15 over par for your round. And thats assuming a totally neautral course of avg slope. Seriously. So you did right where id expect anyone in ur shoes to perform. You need more tourney rounds and maybe u need to shorten ur swing or whatever. You know that stuff. But the tourney score. Its really not bad. For guys that havent played "real golf". I generally double their cap and thats about what they shoot when they tee it up for real. So dont beat yourself up.

>

> and by the way. If you dont have arm overrun in your swing, why are we hellbent on shortening it ? U can fix a flip without shortening a swing. Guys with slower tempo have **** shortening their swings.

I do have some arm overrun still, gets the arms behind me and I typically never get them caught up.

Since I brought it up, here's the results and images from that TPI screen back in late Aug 2017 (8 months post right hip replacement). I take decent care of myself, but never been a big fitness nut. I should probably get back to the stretches and things identified here.

"Physical Screen: The first thing to address is the hip rotation as far as what is needed for your backswing. This is right hip internal rotation and left hip external rotation. You are a little limited in both of these. Also in regards to your backswing, is your thoracic spine (mid back) rotation to the right is limited, especially compared to left rotation. Last big thing to address is the control of your pelvis. You have difficulty posterior tilting your pelvis (flattening your lower back). This will effect your downswing and position at impact. You will see this when I show you your swing.

Swing Analysis: You get your club back very far in your backswing, past parallel at the top in fact. However, we know from the physical screen that your hips and mid back don't have the mobility to get you there. You have good shoulder mobility, but not the excessive mobility you would need to get into this position. So you likely have some sort of compensation in your swing that allows you to do this. Sure enough, this is what I saw. At the top of your swing, your shoulders level out quite a bit, something called flat shoulder plane. People do this to get the feeling of further rotation. I attached a screen shot of this. Yellow line is your position, red line is ideal position. This will really alter your consistency. Also from the face-on view, you demonstrate a reverse spine angle. This means you extend your back in the backswing, which leads to your head being in front of the hips. Again, I attached a screen shot of this. This is a big cause of eventual back pain in golfers, so it would be good to clean this up a little bit. Finally, with the swing you show some signs of using arms and wrist excessively, and not using legs to lead your swing. You shift your body well, however there is not a lot of force output with the legs, which could be result of hip replacement (see this with pressure mat).

Summary: I definitely want to work on mid back and hip rotation to help with your backswing. Also, I think we need to do some exercises that teach you how to utilize your lower body to create rotation and power in your swing. This will clean up some of the other things in your swing that I will show you next time I see you. This includes glute strength and balance."

tvs7prj5a0ya.png

c4ncn7q9v8ok.png

I'm not going to sit here and toot my own horn like I've made a huge leap in changes. But I'm in a somewhat better place with more work to do.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

@swizbeatz - thanks for the explanation. Based on yours and others' posts it seems I probably underestimated how much the difference between a full blown tournament & league or regular play is. Last year in our state amateur I shot +11/83 day 1 and believe my swing was in a worse position then. I could be wrong, but that course/setup seemed more difficult to me as well. That probably was in the back of my mind making me believe I should be able to post low 80s or threaten breaking into the 70s

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

funny reading these last few posts as it all applies to my game too. Maybe we expect too much of ourselves this early in our improvement. Pressure sure makes me revert, then it takes a few range sessions to get back to "normal". Still a long ways to go in the season and a ton of events to be played. Time to stop being so results driven and focus on the things that cause good results. As for Schnee's advice, went through this process after seeing Dan. When I am swinging 3/4 back and with 50% effort, I am hitting it my best. The man in me always overswings at 100% lol.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> funny reading these last few posts as it all applies to my game too. Maybe we expect too much of ourselves this early in our improvement. Pressure sure makes me revert, then it takes a few range sessions to get back to "normal". Still a long ways to go in the season and a ton of events to be played. Time to stop being so results driven and focus on the things that cause good results. As for Schnee's advice, went through this process after seeing Dan. When I am swinging 3/4 back and with 50% effort, I am hitting it my best. The man in me always overswings at 100% lol.

Yes, I have a problem with wanting to hit it hard. Not sure why, I hit it long enough when I'm swinging well to play in any events around here. But for whatever reason, i've probably become a bit fixated on distance the last few years.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well, so much for taking much time away from golf. Either I'm a glutton for punishment or really have a desire to change things. A few of the previous posts lit a fire under my arse. Went to the range tonight with the main focus of short backswing every time. Secondary thought was just to monitor right hand grip at setup. Did my best to disregard the shot result, which is mentally hard when you want to improve. Disassociating the result from the intent isn't easy. It was pretty windy right to left, so everything was moving pretty good. I took quite a few videos to monitor and most were very good. I attached a couple - some were shorter and some were a little longer but these are a pretty good representation of the median.

Still a little sway off the ball and lead leg caving inward (a problem identified in my previous lesson)

I feel like I've got a flat shoulder turn and inside takeaway and then lay it off flatter. I think that's a result if trying to get lead wrist flexion but not doing it right. Looks like I'm rotating my arms instead of moving wrists. Also, definitely still flippin!

But I'm happy with actually practicing with a focus on one meaningful improvement.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

DD - it's interesting how different all swings are. Honestly, I don't think I'm physically capable of having a long swing. I think I'd end up hurting my back swinging long.

I think practing with mostly 50% shots is a good idea. I even think playing casual rounds where you try to hit 50%, 60%, 70% shots is a good idea to get some shorter swings working out on the course.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> DD - it's interesting how different all swings are. Honestly, I don't think I'm physically capable of having a long swing. I think I'd end up hurting my back swinging long.

>

> I think practing with mostly 50% shots is a good idea. I even think playing casual rounds where you try to hit 50%, 60%, 70% shots is a good idea to get some shorter swings working out on the course.

It feels so short to me, like I'm hitting a 40 yard pitch type swing. Going to be a long battle convincing my brain that's correct. Plus, it really throws off my tempo being that much shorter. Backswing feels like milliseconds.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > DD - it's interesting how different all swings are. Honestly, I don't think I'm physically capable of having a long swing. I think I'd end up hurting my back swinging long.

> >

> > I think practing with mostly 50% shots is a good idea. I even think playing casual rounds where you try to hit 50%, 60%, 70% shots is a good idea to get some shorter swings working out on the course.

>

> It feels so short to me, like I'm hitting a 40 yard pitch type swing. Going to be a long battle convincing my brain that's correct. Plus, it really throws off my tempo being that much shorter. Backswing feels like milliseconds.

You don't have any other choice though, right? If you want a shorter swing that is.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > DD - it's interesting how different all swings are. Honestly, I don't think I'm physically capable of having a long swing. I think I'd end up hurting my back swinging long.

> > >

> > > I think practing with mostly 50% shots is a good idea. I even think playing casual rounds where you try to hit 50%, 60%, 70% shots is a good idea to get some shorter swings working out on the course.

> >

> > It feels so short to me, like I'm hitting a 40 yard pitch type swing. Going to be a long battle convincing my brain that's correct. Plus, it really throws off my tempo being that much shorter. Backswing feels like milliseconds.

>

> You don't have any other choice though, right? If you want a shorter swing that is.

No, I don't really have much other choice. Just going to have to beat my brain into submission until it feels normal.

It would be really great if I could manage to get myself to feel how to get that right elbow forward. That's the crux for me. It's no wonder I can't flight shots down or hit a stinger when I can't de-loft the club.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > DD - it's interesting how different all swings are. Honestly, I don't think I'm physically capable of having a long swing. I think I'd end up hurting my back swinging long.

> > > >

> > > > I think practing with mostly 50% shots is a good idea. I even think playing casual rounds where you try to hit 50%, 60%, 70% shots is a good idea to get some shorter swings working out on the course.

> > >

> > > It feels so short to me, like I'm hitting a 40 yard pitch type swing. Going to be a long battle convincing my brain that's correct. Plus, it really throws off my tempo being that much shorter. Backswing feels like milliseconds.

> >

> > You don't have any other choice though, right? If you want a shorter swing that is.

>

> No, I don't really have much other choice. Just going to have to beat my brain into submission until it feels normal.

>

> It would be really great if I could manage to get myself to feel how to get that right elbow forward. That's the crux for me. It's no wonder I can't flight shots down or hit a stinger when I can't de-loft the club.

way above my pay-grade. I don't know the answer for myself, let alone for you. That being said I feel fairly confident saying that you won't be losing any distance with a shorter swing its just something new for you. New feels, new sequencing and what not. It'll take time, likely far more time then you'd like....

I think my swing has changed but only a little bit and that's after borderline giving myself tendentious in my left elbow from hitting so many balls.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

^^ and btw I don't think that was effective either. Beating balls on the range isn't the way to go, IMO. Practice needs to be extremely focused and intentional.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> ^^ and btw I don't think that was effective either. Beating balls on the range isn't the way to go, IMO. Practice needs to be extremely focused and intentional.

Yes, another problem I have... thinking I'm going to find the answer at the bottom of my second or third bucket of balls. Tonight I stuck to a single bucket and tried to evaluate and work on feels in between shots.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > ^^ and btw I don't think that was effective either. Beating balls on the range isn't the way to go, IMO. Practice needs to be extremely focused and intentional.

>

> Yes, another problem I have... thinking I'm going to find the answer at the bottom of my second or third bucket of balls. Tonight I stuck to a single bucket and tried to evaluate and work on feels in between shots.

Good!

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think thats a good first step Ddetts. I like the drive to improve and keep at it.

IMO your setup needs some cleaning up, as it’s going to hold you back from improving. Your current setup is what works with the overly long backswing but on a shorter swing might prove problematic.

Here’s what I see:

Your feet are very square at address. I’d flare both of them out a bit. Next, I’d get your hips a touch forward at address, just a small bump. Feel more pressure in your front foot at address. Essentially your lines are just a touch too vertical from face on. You really don’t sway, in fact you stay centered quite nicely. I’d call it a positive not a negative.

Finally, and this is the big one, you need more vertical wrist set and more right wrist bend in the backswing. Try feeling like you set them immediately off the ball. This will help you shorten your swing. It’s going to feel completely different but stick with it. Currently, you suck the club inside, then lift, then set it very late. All of those lend themselves to a very long backswing.

If you can set the wrists early in the backswing, it’ll shorten things up and allow you to get your right elbow forward. From the long backswing, it’s just too hard to sequence it properly.

• Like 2

> @Schnee said:

> I think thats a good first step Ddetts. I like the drive to improve and keep at it.

>

> IMO your setup needs some cleaning up, as it’s going to hold you back from improving. Your current setup is what works with the overly long backswing but on a shorter swing might prove problematic.

>

> Here’s what I see:

>

> Your feet are very square at address. I’d flare both of them out a bit. Next, I’d get your hips a touch forward at address, just a small bump. Feel more pressure in your front foot at address. Essentially your lines are just a touch too vertical from face on. You really don’t sway, in fact you stay centered quite nicely. I’d call it a positive not a negative.

>

> Finally, and this is the big one, you need more vertical wrist set and more right wrist bend in the backswing. Try feeling like you set them immediately off the ball. This will help you shorten your swing. It’s going to feel completely different but stick with it. Currently, you suck the club inside, then lift, then set it very late. All of those lend themselves to a very long backswing.

>

> If you can set the wrists early in the backswing, it’ll shorten things up and allow you to get your right elbow forward. From the long backswing, it’s just too hard to sequence it properly.

Have been following this thread and was going to suggest the right wrist point too looking at the old and new swing vids. If your left wrist was flat (or right wrist full extended) your backswing would be way shorter. Lee Trevino might be good example to look at for some inspiration as it is the opposite end of the spectrum...his swing looks like a 3/4 swing but you would never say he doesn't make a big turn. Good feel for that is to take an alignment stick and put it on the target line, and try keep the clubface on the line facing the ball as long as you can - this will help avoid yanking it inside, and will create some structure in your wrists.

One other thing, as a few others have said don't beat yourself up too much about the tourney rounds. The average PGA Pro is probably a +5 handicap, so everything you see someone shooting a 78 or something like that, they have played just as bad to their handicap as you did! I looked at the scoring and it didn't seem it was playing that easy either...the winner was over par and you beat nearly 15% of the other players who showed up, and I'm sure a few of them have a lower handicap and more tournament experience. Looks like a bunch of guys just gave up and WD'd after a bad start, again good on you for sticking it out and posting a score.

Keep us posted with your progress, this is a great learning experience for sure!

• Like 1

> @gentles said:

> > @Schnee said:

> > I think thats a good first step Ddetts. I like the drive to improve and keep at it.

> >

> > IMO your setup needs some cleaning up, as it’s going to hold you back from improving. Your current setup is what works with the overly long backswing but on a shorter swing might prove problematic.

> >

> > Here’s what I see:

> >

> > Your feet are very square at address. I’d flare both of them out a bit. Next, I’d get your hips a touch forward at address, just a small bump. Feel more pressure in your front foot at address. Essentially your lines are just a touch too vertical from face on. You really don’t sway, in fact you stay centered quite nicely. I’d call it a positive not a negative.

> >

> > Finally, and this is the big one, you need more vertical wrist set and more right wrist bend in the backswing. Try feeling like you set them immediately off the ball. This will help you shorten your swing. It’s going to feel completely different but stick with it. Currently, you suck the club inside, then lift, then set it very late. All of those lend themselves to a very long backswing.

> >

> > If you can set the wrists early in the backswing, it’ll shorten things up and allow you to get your right elbow forward. From the long backswing, it’s just too hard to sequence it properly.

>

> Have been following this thread and was going to suggest the right wrist point too looking at the old and new swing vids. If your left wrist was flat (or right wrist full extended) your backswing would be way shorter. Lee Trevino might be good example to look at for some inspiration as it is the opposite end of the spectrum...his swing looks like a 3/4 swing but you would never say he doesn't make a big turn. Good feel for that is to take an alignment stick and put it on the target line, and try keep the clubface on the line facing the ball as long as you can - this will help avoid yanking it inside, and will create some structure in your wrists.

>

> One other thing, as a few others have said don't beat yourself up too much about the tourney rounds. The average PGA Pro is probably a +5 handicap, so everything you see someone shooting a 78 or something like that, they have played just as bad to their handicap as you did! I looked at the scoring and it didn't seem it was playing that easy either...the winner was over par and you beat nearly 15% of the other players who showed up, and I'm sure a few of them have a lower handicap and more tournament experience. Looks like a bunch of guys just gave up and WD'd after a bad start, again good on you for sticking it out and posting a score.

>

> Keep us posted with your progress, this is a great learning experience for sure!

I'm going to start doing a lot of reps with the following to try to get some of these feels:

1) backswing drill holding alignment rod on the club, this seems to give me a good visual for getting the shaft more vertical

2) Monte's "perfect backswing" from D4D - isolating the wrist hinge piece

3) Monte's "Shoulder Rotation" drill from D4D to get the feeling of more tilt.

4) hanger on the grip - just like with backswing length, my feel vs real with lead wrist flexion is pretty far apart so anything that can provide physical feedback should be useful.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

One other thing, I would try to add some performance practice into your routine as well. Doing direct technical work will pay off in the long run, but if you don't practice taking those feels to the course your scoring won't improve. Spend tome time playing games hitting shots to specific targets where you track results (e.g. how many shots out of 13 can you hit between two flags on range. Check out "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young for some good ideas for games.

• Like 1

@gentles - looks like a really good book, i've added to my Amazon list! Thanks.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Checking out some YouTube content today, and one of the recommended videos couldn't have been more well timed. A specific part of this video ([https://youtube.com/watch?v=PsEjgXMqIAs](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEjgXMqIAs "https://youtube.com/watch?v=PsEjgXMqIAs")) from Eric Cogorno has been a great find. The image below is a screen grab and shows him using an alignment stick to feel when to stop the back swing and start into transition. This is something I'll do a lot of to train my brain where left arm parallel is.

30cx8xuzusll.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Golf is a funny game, +4 for 9 at league with 2 awful missed putts inside 4 feet. Really only 2 poor swings all night. A pulled iron that probably could've been in hazard but got lucky and a topped 7i going for it in 2 on a par 5 (ball well above feet and that shot hasn't treated me well, but couldn't talk myself into hitting PW or GW to lay up short of the water.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

What currently stops your backswing (why don't you just keep going)? What do you want to have stop your backswing?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> What currently stops your backswing (why don't you just keep going)? What do you want to have stop your backswing?

>

>

>

You can see more detail from a few posts above that details the results of my TPI screening. Essentially I cheat by having flat shoulder plane and then also extending lower back to the target (reverse pivot). So I get a lot of arm over run because it feels like turn to me, then my arms get behind and I never recover. That ends with hip stall and flip.

So, perhaps you could say I'm not really trying to shorten my backswing but rather to feel where my backswing truly ends before my compensations kick in and stop at my true end range of motion.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @glk said:

> > What currently stops your backswing (why don't you just keep going)? What do you want to have stop your backswing?

> >

> >

> >

>

> You can see more detail from a few posts above that details the results of my TPI screening. Essentially I cheat by having flat shoulder plane and then also extending lower back to the target (reverse pivot). So I get a lot of arm over run because it feels like turn to me, then my arms get behind and I never recover. That ends with hip stall and flip.

>

> So, perhaps you could say I'm not really trying to shorten my backswing but rather to feel where my backswing truly ends before my compensations kick in and stop at my true end range of motion.

But what actually stops it now? Stretch in your left shoulder, left back, core? I ask cause if you don't know what is stopping it for going on "forever" and what you want to end it then what is the point of any drills? For me, I used to be upper body dominate and thought I needed to stretch my lats to finish my swing - and yes I too was flat - big over run cause the arms just keep going. Working on improved pivot with my focus is on loading my core - getting lots of left side bend and a good hip turn really puts the stretch in my core, gets my sternum turned versus just my shoulders, and limits what my arms can do, ie they stop around 10:30ish cause they just can't go any further - then it's easy to have passive arms to start transition cause I don't have much of a load in my upper body - they more or less drop or I feel them working a bit away from me at the start. Before I failed to really get a good pressure transfer being so upper body dominate now the lower just wants to lead. Didn't come over night though. Drills you are using should do the trick in time - just thought you might benefit from considering how you actually stop

your backswing.

I'd add that coming from flat, the amount of left side bend really, really needs to be exaggerated cause - i actually start my takeaway by trying to put my left shoulder on top my left foot. Rice has a great drill to really feel how much it is

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

@glk - I understand where you're coming from now. I was and definitely probably still struggle with trying to power the swing with my arms and shoulders in the backswing and really "reached" with my hands. That's probably a big part of why my swing got so long. I have recently really tried to engage/feel my core, glutes and hamstrings prior to starting my takeaway & keeping them engaged throughout which provides me that feeling of "stretch" as you say when I'm getting to end range. I used to follow the old mantra of "you've got to be loose and free to get speed" but I'm finding engaging those muscles really helps. That's not to say I'm tensing up and contracting those muscles as much as I can rather just enough to feel contraction. I've really tried to exaggerate the shoulder turn too, I actually feel as though I am turning them completely vertical (perpendicular to the ground) although I am sure it's nowhere near that drastic.

Good video from Andrew Rice - I follow him on social media and he always posts some good nuggets!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> @glk - I understand where you're coming from now. I was and definitely probably still struggle with trying to power the swing with my arms and shoulders in the backswing and really "reached" with my hands. That's probably a big part of why my swing got so long. I have recently really tried to engage/feel my core, glutes and hamstrings prior to starting my takeaway & keeping them engaged throughout which provides me that feeling of "stretch" as you say when I'm getting to end range. I used to follow the old mantra of "you've got to be loose and free to get speed" but I'm finding engaging those muscles really helps. That's not to say I'm tensing up and contracting those muscles as much as I can rather just enough to feel contraction. I've really tried to exaggerate the shoulder turn too, I actually feel as though I am turning them completely vertical (perpendicular to the ground) although I am sure it's nowhere near that drastic.

>

> Good video from Andrew Rice - I follow him on social media and he always posts some good nuggets!

My best feel for the arms in the backswing is that the pivot is "throwing them up". A combo of the good side bend and the right arm folding and when done smoothly gives me the sense of the arms are doing very little at all - really helps stopping the arms when the shoulder turn is complete. Good luck.

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > @glk - I understand where you're coming from now. I was and definitely probably still struggle with trying to power the swing with my arms and shoulders in the backswing and really "reached" with my hands. That's probably a big part of why my swing got so long. I have recently really tried to engage/feel my core, glutes and hamstrings prior to starting my takeaway & keeping them engaged throughout which provides me that feeling of "stretch" as you say when I'm getting to end range. I used to follow the old mantra of "you've got to be loose and free to get speed" but I'm finding engaging those muscles really helps. That's not to say I'm tensing up and contracting those muscles as much as I can rather just enough to feel contraction. I've really tried to exaggerate the shoulder turn too, I actually feel as though I am turning them completely vertical (perpendicular to the ground) although I am sure it's nowhere near that drastic.

> >

> > Good video from Andrew Rice - I follow him on social media and he always posts some good nuggets!

>

> My best feel for the arms in the backswing is that the pivot is "throwing them up". A combo of the good side bend and the right arm folding and when done smoothly gives me the sense of the arms are doing very little at all - really helps stopping the arms when the shoulder turn is complete. Good luck.

Thanks - I definitely need to take the feel of the arms being active/moving the club out of the backswing. I'm getting better at feeling and disassociating the flat shoulder plane and back extension from the feeling of turn.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

You mentioned the smart ball... Best training aid ever for this imo. If I was allowed to play with this thing on the course I would be a +4 :) !

The thing I like about it is it doesn't passively move you into a position/move it forces you to do it actively. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle