Ping i20 Moderator review - The Driver

Asleep

[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1331317512' post='4470733']...It is interesting that the PX had lower spin for HiFade ... when the Ping shaft is being touted as the lower spin option?[/quote]
Note HiFade used a [b][size="3"]9.5*[/size][/b] loft for the Ping 707D shaft and an [size="3"][b]8.5*[/b][/size] head for the PX shafts. Important.

Loft trumps all for adding spin.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually a high spin player, I need to go hit these and compare. I20 and G20 and different shafts!
I'm thinking 10.5 with Ping Shaft
Swing Speed around 100
I know there is no correct answer till I go hit and compare but what are some of your opinions? Thanks

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

Great review. I'm looking at either the AD-DI or VTS Silver as an upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on how these compare in the i20 head? The AD-DI is twice the price of the VTS incidentally. I wonder if its twice as good?

I liked both the PX and TFC options too, they just a little on the light side for my tastes.

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1331331883' post='4472337']
Great review. I'm looking at either the AD-DI or VTS Silver as an upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on how these compare in the i20 head? The AD-DI is twice the price of the VTS incidentally. I wonder if its twice as good?

I liked both the PX and TFC options too, they just a little on the light side for my tastes.
[/quote]

The Silver and the DI are pretty similar, both low spin but I'd say the DI is higher launch. I've played both shafts, but not in the same head.

If price is a factor, get the VTS and some nice new golf balls :)

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

This thread has pushed me to the edge. I have booked a fitting with Ping Canada in Oakville ( about an hour from wher I live) I've heard great things about the facility so I am looking forward to it, bad news is first available date was April 23rd. Good news is courses are still closed now ( no drooling over stuff you can't use) but will be opened by then so should have my swing grooved. They have booked me for 2 hrs so I will try out driver ( against my Rapture) fairway woods and definetly i20 and s56 irons. I will post back with results. See if the i20 can kick the Rapture V2 out of the bag.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1331347423' post='4473855']
I've pulled the trigger on a 9.5 with the RIP'd NV stiff shaft. Should be here mid week, looking forward to giving it a go.
[/quote]

Congrats, let us know how it works out for you.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

Had my i20 10.5* with project x 6.0 on the launch monitor today. Can confirm that it is a low spin head for sure. I had an avg spin of 2193. To anyone playing the stock shafts, it might be worth it to have the cpm and spine checked. My fitter put it in the clamp today and was getting 237 cpm's and tons of oscillation on my 6.0 shaft with it stock installed. He's rotated the shaft for me to the correct spine position and was showing 257 cpm's there with no oscillation.

My gear:
Stuff that changes yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, and even hourly........

[quote name='parboy' timestamp='1331449011' post='4480849']
Had my i20 10.5* with project x 6.0 on the launch monitor today. Can confirm that it is a low spin head for sure. I had an avg spin of 2193. To anyone playing the stock shafts, it might be worth it to have the cpm and spine checked. My fitter put it in the clamp today and was getting 237 cpm's and tons of oscillation on my 6.0 shaft with it stock installed. He's rotated the shaft for me to the correct spine position and was showing 257 cpm's there with no oscillation.
[/quote]

Great post. Now here is the $64,000 question. Did you hit it again on the LM and what were the differences in launch numbers.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

I had $240 in store credit at GG so I decided I'd use it on an i20. I ended up hitting 9.5 and 10.5 heads in the 707D stiff and PX 6.0. For some reason I have been trying my hardest to go up in loft thinking it was going to result in more carry for me. I got very close numbers between both heads, but they were numbers I wasn't that happy with. Ballspeeds in the low to mid 150's with spin aroud 3400. Launch angle was lowish between 10-11 degree. I left with a 10.5 with the Ping stock shaft. Never took it out of the house. Kept thinking how I was unhappy with those numbers then I remembered how my fitting for an i15 went two year ago. Same kind of deal and I ended up with an 8 degree giivng me the best spin numbes and a higher launch angle. Doesn't seem to make sense, but the only conclusion I can draw is that I subconsiously deloft more with higher lofted drivers. On the flip side, when I have a lower lofted driver in my hands, I do a better job of catching the ball a little more on the upswing. Long story short, I took it back and exchanged it for an 8.5 with the PX 6.0. We'll see how it works out. My guess is the reults will be similar to the i15 fitting. Lower loft just fits my swing better right now.

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1331488663' post='4482521']
[quote name='parboy' timestamp='1331449011' post='4480849']
[/quote]

Great post. Now here is the $64,000 question. Did you hit it again on the LM and what were the differences in launch numbers.

[/quote]

I will get back on the LM once the epoxy dries :D He just found the correct spine position and started breaking it apart while I was there. It should be ready this week. I'll try it again and also compare it to the adams fast 12 ls. Already compared the 2 initially and was getting 5 mph more ball speed and 10 more yards of carry using the adams 8.5* with xstiff fubuki shaft. I am hoping the numbers are closer together after the changes to my ping. Really dont want to buy another driver right now LOL!

My gear:
Stuff that changes yearly, monthly, weekly, daily, and even hourly........

[size="3"]Can anybody compare/contrast the i20 with the i15 in regards to performance(launch, spin)/feel/sound/hookability? I’ve seen comments in relation to the V2 and some other clubs but not the i15. I’m currently playing a i15 9.5 with AD DI. I have a tendency to spin the driver a lot and this combo really keeps the spin down while allowing good launch. My misses tend to be hooks and the i15 seems to help. I’m very interested in the i20 and will go give it a try myself but it will be several weeks before I can get there. I was just hoping someone could releate the i20 to something i'm familar with in the meantime.[/size]

[quote name='mizume' timestamp='1331571614' post='4490149']Can anybody compare/contrast the i20 with the i15 in regards to performance(launch, spin)/feel/sound/hookability? [/quote]

[i]launch[/i] -- similar, i20 maybe tad lower
[i]spin[/i] -- i20 lower
[i]feel/sound[/i] -- similar, actually, as i15 was pretty good in this area
[i]hookability[/i] -- i15 fade biased, i20 not

add:
forgiveness -- i20 by a good margin

My take, ymmv.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1331588662' post='4492879']
[quote name='mizume' timestamp='1331571614' post='4490149']Can anybody compare/contrast the i20 with the i15 in regards to performance(launch, spin)/feel/sound/hookability? [/quote]

[i]spin[/i] -- i20 lower

add:

My take, ymmv.
[/quote]

Purely my experience. I have no official numbers but here it is:

[i][b]LAUNCH:[/b] [/i]i20 noticeably higher and much better
[i][b]SPIN:[/b][/i] i20 is higher and much more functional
[i][b]FEEL/SOUND:[/b][/i] similar in sound, but the i20 feels 500% better (& hot too)
[i][b]HOOK-ABILITY:[/b][/i] i20 can be worked both ways (i15 very fade biased)
[i][b]FORGIVENESS:[/b][/i] i20 hugely more so (not even close)
[i][b]LONGEST: [/b][/i]For me, i20
[i][b]APPEARANCE:[/b][/i] i20 is awesome at address

I may be biased but this driver is here to stay in my bag. So much so, I now have 3, (one gamer and 2 to experiment with).

DISCLAIMER........your results may vary.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I love the look of it. when the ping rep coms to my course im going to have to see how she flys for me. The only thing i wish ping would do is make it a little adjustable or atleast make it so i can just change the shaft with a screw like my r11. I change from switching drivers every month to just switching shafts. But if it goes straight ill just have to put a oban devotion in it and call it a day :good:

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1331319150' post='4470929']
[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1331146708' post='4456369']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Qrk9Ndk6g"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=H6Qrk9Ndk6g[/url]

Interesting video. The editor of a UK Golf Mag. He went to Ping's fitting centre to get fitted for the I20. His old gamer is a Rapture V2 with Diamana BlueBoard. He doesn't swing that fast but interesting to see that the Project X Black spun a lot less in the I20 than the Ping shaft for him. I'm mulling over a 9.5 with PX 6.5 after seeing that video. Not sure I want to pay for upgrades & not sure i want to go down to 8.5 degree cos it will probably lead to a little less accuracy. anybody hit the PX in 6.5?
[/quote]

Wow great find thanks for sharing. He has the same gamer I do Rapture V2 10.5* with a BB in regular flex. I am in love with the look of the i20 and was wondering how it matched up with the Rapture. I will have to take a trip to Ping and do a side by side to see if the i20 gives better results. I heard the fitter say an increase of 5 yds carry ( no biggie) and he might have said 5 more on landing = roll, 10 more yards is pretty good.
[/quote]

Same set up as me too. I got fit last week and the i20 with px 6.0 black at 10.5* was best numbers for me too.

I didn't get to try the g20, though, so will probably try that before deciding

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1331590567' post='4493103']

[i]spin[/i] -- i20 lower

add:

My take, ymmv.
[/quote]

[i][b]FEEL/SOUND:[/b][/i] similar in sound, but the i20 feels 500% better (& hot too)

I may be biased but this driver is here to stay in my bag. So much so, I now have 3, (one gamer and 2 to experiment with).

[/quote]

If the i20 launches higher I am going to need a 5* head. I have 2, 8* i15's now, one with the ping shaft and the other with the UST shaft and the ball goes very high and I dont get hardly any roll out. I need something that will launch the ball lower and spin less. If it is more likely to go left as well, that is another problem as I dont have any problems keeping it from going right. I was really looking forward to this club being an improvment to the i15, and that for me would be lower launch and lower spin with lower lofts available.

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1331590567' post='4493103']

[i]spin[/i] -- i20 lower

add:

My take, ymmv.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback. I'm still a little worried about the no fade bias. The leftside and I don't get along.

3 -i20s? Todays your lucky day. I can tell you are a very inteligent and busy man and you likely will not have the time to experiment with all of them. It will be difficult for me but I'd be willing to help you out by taking one and experimenting for you. A sacrifice on my part but anything for a fellow WRXer. ;-)

Memorial Park #8 470 yards playing 450 yards on Friday. I really catch one leaving me 130 to the pin.

Now for this pencil-neck geek,running20stick20man.gifthat's a big drive ... especially on wet & plugged fairways. I can't recall hitting PW into that hole.

I'm getting adjusted to the i20/GD AD-DI6 combination, and must say I'm a bit giddydootdoot.gif about this driver.

Memorial Park #8 470 yards playing 450 yards on Friday. I really catch one leaving me 130 to the pin.

Now for this pencil-neck geek,running20stick20man.gifthat's a big drive ... especially on wet & plugged fairways. I can't recall hitting PW into that hole.

I'm getting adjusted to the i20/GD AD-DI6 combination, and must say I'm a bit giddydootdoot.gif about this driver.

I know what you mean, i'm loving mine cant see any other 2k12 driver replaceing this one this season....... I went with a 9.5 / RIP NV combo.... Great driver, just gonna add some lead tape to the toe to try to give it a wee bit of fade bias.

[quote name='filler83' timestamp='1331593565' post='4493485']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1331319150' post='4470929']
[quote name='MG 1977' timestamp='1331146708' post='4456369']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Qrk9Ndk6g"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=H6Qrk9Ndk6g[/url]

Interesting video. The editor of a UK Golf Mag. He went to Ping's fitting centre to get fitted for the I20. His old gamer is a Rapture V2 with Diamana BlueBoard. He doesn't swing that fast but interesting to see that the Project X Black spun a lot less in the I20 than the Ping shaft for him. I'm mulling over a 9.5 with PX 6.5 after seeing that video. Not sure I want to pay for upgrades & not sure i want to go down to 8.5 degree cos it will probably lead to a little less accuracy. anybody hit the PX in 6.5?
[/quote]

Wow great find thanks for sharing. He has the same gamer I do Rapture V2 10.5* with a BB in regular flex. I am in love with the look of the i20 and was wondering how it matched up with the Rapture. I will have to take a trip to Ping and do a side by side to see if the i20 gives better results. I heard the fitter say an increase of 5 yds carry ( no biggie) and he might have said 5 more on landing = roll, 10 more yards is pretty good.
[/quote]

Same set up as me too. I got fit last week and the i20 with px 6.0 black at 10.5* was best numbers for me too.

I didn't get to try the g20, though, so will probably try that before deciding
[/quote]

Did you hit it side by side with your V2 and if so how did the numbers compare? Have you had a chance to play any rounds of golf with it? You now have me very curious to see if the i20 worked better for you than the V2 and by how much.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

I did try side by side. I was hooking the v2 a lot more. I have hassle it for 3 seasons now and I think my swing speed has increased so that might also be why. I then tried the i20 in 9.5 and 10.5 with the TFC shaft. It was too low launching for me. Then I tried the px 6.0 on the 10.5 and I was getting good numbers. Straighter with just a slight draw.

I am now thinking as an option to save money to try a rapture v2 in a stiff flex blueboard. maybe I will get similar results as the i20? Not sure. Pm me if you have more questions or want more info

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

Asleep,

Finally someone who is driving it past 300 in all conditions it's good to hear your loving the combo you have, I'm killing my i20 707D Xstiff literally just in places I usually am not its crazy. I still can't get over how far I drive the ball now.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

I have an i20 10.5 with a Matrix RUL 50. Nothing but mid-high launch low spin bombs for me. It's super easy to find the fairway with this driver.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='AChapa8807' timestamp='1332029361' post='4526757']Asleep, Finally someone who is driving it past 300 in all conditions...[/quote]To be clear, that's [i]wayyy[/i] outside of my norm which is ~240 carry.

Blind squirrel + i20 = occasional nutted. :hi:

AAAARRRGGGHHHH I really want to try this driver but i just bought an AMP with the GD tour ad-di 6s. This driver is killing me on looks alone! I hate being a ho! The GD tour ad-di 6s really is a great shaft. I fell in love with it right when i tried it. My question is...Ya'll keep saying it's [i]not fade biased[/i] does that mean it is easy to hook? That is my miss, how forgiving is it on off center hits such as on the toe/heel?

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1332033959' post='4527201']
[quote name='AChapa8807' timestamp='1332029361' post='4526757']Asleep, Finally someone who is driving it past 300 in all conditions...[/quote]To be clear, that's [i]wayyy[/i] outside of my norm which is ~240 carry.

Blind squirrel + i20 = occasional nutted. :hi:
[/quote]

Lol yeah I am carrying further AND total distance is way further for me, people I play with can't believe how much further I'm hitting it. My dad was really amazed when we played Friday. I'm still in my wow stage and don't know when I'll be off it.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='PingDaddy7' timestamp='1332033315' post='4527109']
I have an i20 10.5 with a Matrix RUL 50. Nothing but mid-high launch low spin bombs for me. It's super easy to find the fairway with this driver.
[/quote]

What flex are you playing and what's your swing speed? On checking the Ping custom options in the UK they only offer the RUL 60 in stiff or xstiff!