Illegal/Hot Golf Balls and Clubs

jman2407

I'd probably buy the balls for fun scrambles and the like but none of the clubs. A hotter driver usually means thinner an more likely to break. I don't want any more distance than what I have with my current 3 wood. And I was one of the few people who probably needs less spin from their wedges.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a lot and i mean A LOT more help on the archer and not the arrow. Equipment is not holding me back. So I voted no across the board

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

no to all 4. I want to play by the rules....it would be like playing basketball with trampoline shoes , it's not the same thing

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1332289102' post='4546364']
I need a lot and i mean A LOT more help on the archer and not the arrow. Equipment is not holding me back. So I voted no across the board
[/quote]

Agreed.

One thing that would help amateurs enjoy the game without the use of illegal equipment would be to play from the proper tee box given their ability. Last week me and a buddy were paired with a father and son and the kid (maybe 14/15) insisted on playing from the middle tees even though he had to hit driver on a 170 yard par 3. The father told him to play from the senior tees but he didn't want to hear it. I guess machismo and naivete are going to beat out elderly wisdom everyday of the week.

[quote name='Hacker#5252' timestamp='1332272180' post='4544570']
I voted no to all 4s.

Although I understand it's cheating, I still have a couple non-confrming wedges. The reasons being I already had them when the rules changed, I don't do any comptetition or betting of any kind, because I suck too much, and I simply don't have the money to buy new wedges when my old ones are still good.

I will say this though. When I made the decision I needed a 52* to fill the PW-SW gap, I had the option to get the non-conforming one, but I decided to get the legit one instead.

Equipment aside, interestingly enough, most of the people I've played with do not follow the rules, usually by not playing the ball as it lies. Most pick it up to see if it's really theirs, or just refuse to play out of "divots" or out of "crappy lies". To those people, I would suggest they buy Adams clubs ;)

EDIT: Basing my opinion on pure logic, I would say that a man playing from the reds is cheating (unless the reds are also senior tees, in which case this applies to men under 50(?)) because the slope and rating are clearly adjusted for women/seniors (i.e. higher values than whites or yellows where I play)
[/quote]

I wouldn't look at a man playing from the red or a younger guy playing from the senior tees as cheating. Last season was my first season playing golf. The first 3 months I played I was hitting from the senior tees and that was plenty challenging given my inexperience. I would occasionally get the snickers or looks from other twosomes playing with me but these were also the chaps taking mulligans and claiming they got a 5 on a par 4 when in reality it was a snowman. It was more embarrassing to me to pretend to be something I am not rather than swallowing my pride and accepting my limitations. It also made my rounds more enjoyable and less frustrating which is why we should be playing the game in the first place.

[quote name='Sooner7x' timestamp='1331768110' post='4509339']
Most times the Reds have no posted Mens slope and course rating.
I don't know if you can get one from the pro shop or calculate it based on the Womens or not.

I wouldn't consider it cheating. If you want to break par why not try it. You may or may be able to post is as a handicap round. But practice rounds are permitted under the rules.

A high school in my home town sends many players D1. In fact a few years ago 5 seniors went D1 the same year. Several to one of the most prestigious golf schools in the country. Anyway the golf coach has a rule for team players that they must play the Red tees each year until they shoot under. Then the whites until they shoot under and so on until they reach the back tees.

Might be fun to try in the spring. Depending on your skill level you might want to move back when you break 40.
[/quote]

That's a great idea.

[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1331760924' post='4508643']
[quote name='omahasker' timestamp='1331760699' post='4508623']
[quote name='caller' timestamp='1331760010' post='4508561']
Sometimes I move from the tip to blue or white when I am in slump

[/quote]

That's not cheating though. A better comparison would've been that you move from either the blues or whites to the reds.
[/quote]

That isn't cheating either...and in fact most golfers should probably move up to the reds seeing as how most people can't even break 80 let alone par.

To the point of the poll, cheating is cheating. Even though most may not care about "following the rules to the T" most people also play in scrambles/tournaments or small money games in which case their lackadaisical attitude towards the rules really does screw those of us who do follow them.

Also most of us still using non-conforming grooves has nothing to do with not following the rule to the letter. The rule explicitly states that we are still within the rules to be using them until they become illegal for the level at which we are playing.
[/quote]
Bingo!!!!!!!......... 90% or more of golfers I see have no business at the blue tees, most either have no control over there driver cause they are swinging out of their shoes, or are 200-230 off the tee which leaves long irons to hybrids on almost every par 4

It is really amazing the ego's that people have, even taking severe humiliation ( hitting a tee shot 210 off tee then waiting for the green to clear while they are 250 out!) on to skull slice and never coming close to green distance wise

I shoot pretty decent golf and I always try to get my partners to play white tees and they aren't having it........ If you cant shoot par from blue tees you have no business being there...... The game would move much quicker too if people would move up

Alone I will play from ladies tees at times just to see and practice my short irons more and see how many birdies ( I am 5-7 hdcp)

I myself don't really feel I should be playing blue tees.... My drive is 260-280 but also 230-240 on some shots, but I play with some college kids and a few guys on small tours, they are big hitters and shoot under par so I am minority

By myself I play whites minimum.... I also use reg shafts!!!!.... Lol

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1332289102' post='4546364']
[/quote]
Lol..... Equipment changes only help the talented, for 99% of the golfers it wouldn't matter your score would remain the same

People will fight their consistency and swing far more than illegal equipment can overcome!!!!...... Farther you hit it the leas accurate you will become, longer ball equals less spin and more spin on wedges makes it harder to control it's reaction

People that suck will still suck!!!!!.... It's only an advantage for good players who have serious control of their game

If I could pick up a ball that went 30% further with no side spin but loads of spin off wedges etc but was conventional looking (to fool them) then I'd play it as a one off for a laugh against my mates when away for a lads golf weekend (but would tell them in the bar that night that my miracle round and super long drives were through cheating), I would never spend top money on anything and would never play with illegal equipment on an on-going basis.

[quote name='PhilsFanDrew' timestamp='1332302879' post='4548076']
[quote name='Hacker#5252' timestamp='1332272180' post='4544570']
I voted no to all 4s.

Although I understand it's cheating, I still have a couple non-confrming wedges. The reasons being I already had them when the rules changed, I don't do any comptetition or betting of any kind, because I suck too much, and I simply don't have the money to buy new wedges when my old ones are still good.

I will say this though. When I made the decision I needed a 52* to fill the PW-SW gap, I had the option to get the non-conforming one, but I decided to get the legit one instead.

Equipment aside, interestingly enough, most of the people I've played with do not follow the rules, usually by not playing the ball as it lies. Most pick it up to see if it's really theirs, or just refuse to play out of "divots" or out of "crappy lies". To those people, I would suggest they buy Adams clubs ;)

EDIT: Basing my opinion on pure logic, I would say that a man playing from the reds is cheating (unless the reds are also senior tees, in which case this applies to men under 50(?)) because the slope and rating are clearly adjusted for women/seniors (i.e. higher values than whites or yellows where I play)
[/quote]

I wouldn't look at a man playing from the red or a younger guy playing from the senior tees as cheating. Last season was my first season playing golf. The first 3 months I played I was hitting from the senior tees and that was plenty challenging given my inexperience. I would occasionally get the snickers or looks from other twosomes playing with me but these were also the chaps taking mulligans and claiming they got a 5 on a par 4 when in reality it was a snowman. It was more embarrassing to me to pretend to be something I am not rather than swallowing my pride and accepting my limitations. It also made my rounds more enjoyable and less frustrating which is why we should be playing the game in the first place.

[/quote]

For the record, I do agree that the main reason we should all play the game is for fun. Also, sometimes, rules and logic are two different things, and perhaps my logic is flawed too.

I have to say that during my first season, I should have probably played from the reds.

Funny thing though, I've heard people say they'd rather play from the yellows (a notch longer than whites where I play) not because whites are too short, but because the obstacles from the yellows are unreachable for them, which makes the game easier in a sense. I don't do it, since I don't want to have 200 yards to every green.

As I went through the poll questions I was thinking about how they would make such an item illegal.

Driver - shave the face to up the COR, lengthen beyond 46" - - The driver face would probably cave in and the extra length for most of us would be harder to control. - - Nope

Ball - make that sucker harder than deplete uranium - - Probably wouldn't have much feel on irons, spinning and putting - - NOPE

Wedge - make the grooves so deep they could peel an orange with 3 swings - - tough on balls and hard to gauge spin - - NOPE

Fairway - ?????? How do you make a fairway wood illegal??? There isn't a COR restriction or shaft length limit?? No limitations on the kind of metal that could be used.

Question remains: How do you make a fairway wood illegal?

i am assuming that using it means in competition either friendly or in a tournament..

if so this poll is ridiculous!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

i am assuming that using it means in competition either friendly or in a tournament..

if so this poll is ridiculous!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1332556830' post='4567410']
There is no such thing a "Women's Tees".
[/quote]

http://www.parcoursducerf.com/fr/parcours/index.php

OK if you look at this, you'll see that there are women tees.

Femme = woman, btw.

Black and yellow designed for men. White designed for both but harder for women, and red designed for women.

I guess I can't be accused of pulling things out of my a** for this one ! In any case, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. Enjoy the rest of the discussion.

[quote name='jol' timestamp='1331762599' post='4508789']
I don't understand why anyone would want to play with equipment that isn't legal.
What would you gain from it other than massaging your own ego?
[/quote]

I would have voted a big fat NO to all four questions, but part of me thinks that I would to give my boss a good thrashing (he's a miserable SOB...lol). I know that I could beat him without them, but seeing him 50 yards back off the tee might knock his ego down a bit( and he has a huge arrogant one that drives me nuts). Would never use anything illegal for rounds or tourneys, just in this one instance.

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

[quote name='Hacker#5252' timestamp='1332598243' post='4569570']
[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1332556830' post='4567410']
There is no such thing a "Women's Tees".
[/quote]

http://www.parcoursducerf.com/fr/parcours/index.php

OK if you look at this, you'll see that there are women tees.

Femme = woman, btw.

Black and yellow designed for men. White designed for both but harder for women, and red designed for women.

I guess I can't be accused of pulling things out of my a** for this one ! In any case, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. Enjoy the rest of the discussion.
[/quote]

Actually no where on that page does it refer to women's tees. The tees are called Borgogne. They list men's and women's handicap holes and the ratings for men and women because these are different. But just because a set of tees is only rated for women doesn't mean a man can't play from there and post a score. Just as a woman can play the back tees and post a score as well.

Please refer to section 5 of the USGA Handicap Manual for a description of how to post a score from an unrated set of tees.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='omahasker' timestamp='1331761841' post='4508725']

[/quote]

That's not cheating though. A better comparison would've been that you move from either the blues or whites to the reds.
[/quote]

That isn't cheating either...and in fact most golfers should probably move up to the reds seeing as how most people can't even break 80 let alone par.
[/quote]
Dude...playing from the women's tees is cheating. If you have testicles then you should not consider that legal.
[/quote]

WRONG! If your drives only go 215 yards due to age or disability, the forward tees are not the "Ladies tees"! They could also be referred to as the"Senior" tees! No one should have to hit a 230 yard 3 wood 2nd shot to a par 4 green....come on, let's be fair!

Haven't you heard Jack and Arnie about "Teeing it forward". This is just to get older golfers to be able to reach par 4's with an iron - pure and simple!!!!

[quote name='mem16' timestamp='1391756158' post='8614621']
[quote name='omahasker' timestamp='1331761841' post='4508725']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Dude...playing from the women's tees is cheating. If you have testicles then you should not consider that legal.
[/quote]

WRONG! If your drives only go 215 yards due to age or disability, the forward tees are not the "Ladies tees"! They could also be referred to as the"Senior" tees! No one should have to hit a 230 yard 3 wood 2nd shot to a par 4 green....come on, let's be fair!

Haven't you heard Jack and Arnie about "Teeing it forward". This is just to get older golfers to be able to reach par 4's with an iron - pure and simple!!!!
[/quote]

As much as I admire the spirit of your post and agree, you just bumped a thread that is nearly two years old.

It's very easy to calculate it afterwards, but I wish every course would list the course rating and slope adjustments for each tee.