Pre-Shot Routine - Do Instructors Teach This?

zzilb

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of a routine, but everything I have tried I end up leaving behind in the middle of a round. Having trouble committing to something. Most likely haven't found anything I like/am comfortable with. Maybe I have more of a routine than I think and just need to pay attention to whats happening naturally?

How have others found this for themselves?

It would seem that everyone's routine would be at least a little different and

vary from situation to situation. A beginner would have many mechanical

thoughts to go through, so a routine might be designed to minimize those.

Mid-handicappers also have mechanical thoughts, but have learned some

"feel" thoughts too, along with some basic thought strategy about target.

More difficult for them to reduce the pre-shot stuff.

Low-handicappers, unless involved in heavy-duty teaching/coaching, are

probably doing things to set up for a special ball flight and focusing on

clear, specific targets. Unique waggle, etc swing rehearsal. Players

like Snedecker and Daly may just "see it and hit it". A young beginner

using his/her natural swing may do the same thing - before the

complications set in.

Im not going to teach a specific pre shot routine. But every player should have one.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I think most golfers aren't prepared for their pre-shot routine.

I think it would be smart to have a preparation protocol before the pre-shot routine to get you in the zone.

a pre-shot preparation protocol. or

pre-pre-shot routine.

IMO.

Just kidding. A pre-shot protocol where you walk from behind your ball, address it and hit the ball is a good thing.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

I think most golfers aren't prepared for their pre-shot routine.

I think it would be smart to have a preparation protocol before the pre-shot routine to get you in the zone.

a pre-shot preparation protocol. or

pre-pre-shot routine.

IMO.

Just kidding. A pre-shot protocol where you walk from behind your ball, address it and hit the ball is a good thing.

You're very correct in that most Ams are not prepared for their PSR as they are either thinking about the last shot, whether it was a great shot and they're elated and/or hoping that they can repeat whatever it was that they just did or it was a poor shot and they are further ingrainging the shot(and unfortunately the same s***** swing) further into their mind.

I always had an "on/off" switch that I would mentally flip to on when I stepped behind my bag and pulled my club. That was the start of my PSR, and I would step behind my ball and go through it.

Like everything in this game, from clubs to swings to PSRs, it's all an individual thing and what is simple, reproducible and successful in helping one hit the best shot possible.

Have a nice Thanksgiving Birdster :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Following along with Richard's post, believe that many players would be well-served to research the concept of a decision/play line as discussed by Annika Sorenstam and her coach, Pia Nielsen.

A PSR should be consistent and concise with a definite bias towards brevity.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I'm not locked in until I've picked a club and can visualize the shot, then I start my PSR from behind the ball looking down the target line. I usually like to hold on to 1 key swing thought before starting my takeaway.

Wasn't taught by an instructor but it was emphasized by many mentors and is usually specific to the individual I think.

Before teaching preshot routine, I'm usually teaching visualization. It's amazing how many golfers don't visualize the shot they will hit before striking the ball.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

U try and rip a chip or putt?

LoL. I play with a guy from time to time and when he skulls a chip, he says he "ripped" it or or put too much "mustard" on it.

Yeah, well I always found onions play better than mustard. Extra onions if the greens are fast.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

My coach taught me to use both a pre and post shot routine. The pre-shot comes easy, but the post shot was a new idea to me. We all do them both in various ways but if you think them through obviously they can be very helpful. And no I'm not a slow player by any means.

This is huge, and probably requires its own thread. They post a shot routine is every bit as important as a pre-shot routine.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Before teaching preshot routine, I'm usually teaching visualization. It's amazing how many golfers don't visualize the shot they will hit before striking the ball.

I would say this is step two of any great pre-shot routine. The first step being assessing your lie (cuppy, fluffy, perfect, etc.) and then conditions, such as wind, temperature, pin position, green firmness, grain, etc.

The first lesson I ever took, the instructor only discussed how to carry oneself as a golfer and then pre-shot routine. That's it.

A PSR is important. For all golfers. But I think it should be short and not include the drill you're working on at the range. Alignment, stance, go! I like the idea in the book endorsed by Annika Sorenstam called "Every Shot Must Have A Purpose." It talks about a think box and a play box. Of course, it's got to work for you. I loved the line by Fred Couples, "When I'm playing well, I don't even take aim!"

I've worked with a lot of coaches and the only one who taught me a full pre-shot routine step by step was Wayne DeFrancesco. Others have told me to add a certain element to whatever I use to help get a feel for what we're working on, but no one has gone step by step through literally every "dance step" like he did. The great thing was that it wasn't some cookie cutter routine. He really wanted to know how I approached things and then we went through each part finding a method that I was comfortable. I'm glad he did as it's become a permanent part of my game.

Having a consistent pre shot routine has made a big impact on my game and scoring... It has taken a lot of practice and effort to develope my routine and it is something I work on often. It's very easy to get out of the routine if things don't "feel" right... The most difficult thing for me is maintaining a good feel for every single shot without deviating from the routine. Often times it is the lie that throws my feel and routine off... I pay very close attention to the lie because it determines so much about the type of shot and how the ball reacts... If I haven't made up my mind about the lie then I struggle to feel the shot and stay in my routine...

But I don't really consider the lie, conditions, club selection, shot shape and initial visualization as part of my preshot. These are done before hand. Typically as I approach the ball (or tee shot) I'm assessing these things.

My preshot starts when I move into the shot. It's a little weird I suppose but it seems to work and I do it quickly and I do this every single time. I count 6...

6 count for every shot! For putts, chips, pitches, sand, full shot, etc...

1 address ball, setup, align club face and body

2 look at target, visualize shot

3 look back at ball (staying in motion, preparing to swing)

4 look at target, visualize shot

5 swing back

6 swing through

It's quick, concise and consistent...

The 3rd step is critical because it involves waggling or tapping putter slightly to "feel the shot" while readying myself mentally and physically to execute.

The more consistent I am with this 6 count routine, the better I play.

I actually stole this from Tigers putting routine years ago... I have no idea what he is thinking during his pre shot but I just adapted his motions into something that works for me.

As far as post shot. It depends on what kind of shot I make. If it's good I will sometimes try to remember the feel but in general I don't really do anything except immediately move to the next shot. If it's bad, I will sometimes think about what caused it but only for a short time. I try to forget the last shot before I get to the next one. But that isn't always the case.

I would say this is step two of any great pre-shot routine. The first step being assessing your lie (cuppy, fluffy, perfect, etc.) and then conditions, such as wind, temperature, pin position, green firmness, grain, etc.

Fair enough, but for most those happen simultaneously, as in "what kind of shot can I hit from this spot under these conditions?"

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

My coach taught me to use both a pre and post shot routine. The pre-shot comes easy, but the post shot was a new idea to me. We all do them both in various ways but if you think them through obviously they can be very helpful. And no I'm not a slow player by any means.

This is huge, and probably requires its own thread. They post a shot routine is every bit as important as a pre-shot routine.

What is a post shot routine? Is it what you physically do the after the ball is struck . Like where your eyes are looking? how you hold the finish ? How to untwirl a club? Type of follow through? etc...

or post shot routine means how you react emotionally to the shot?

The Post-Shot Routine is as important as the PSR and depending on one's personality, more important. Where as a quality PSR is built around a consistent reproducible routine, one's Post-Shot Routine is based more off of one's reaction to the outcome of their last shot.

If one just hit a poor shot, they must quickly analyze why they had the outcome that they had and then forget the shot and outcome. This is easier said than done however it MUST be done to be able to move forward in the right frame of mind to attempt the next shot successfully. They must then picture the shot that they visualized during their PSR and that is the last picture that should be in their mind. They should then forget that shot and clear their mind.

If one has just hit a great shot and their adrenaline is spiked and they are excited, they must use their Post-Shot Routine to first, give themselves a mental kudo and then replay the shot to further ingrain it in their mental movie projector and then they must get back to the present, control their breathing, adrenaline and focus and clear their mind and move on.

My Post-Shot Routine was done after my follow through with my club still in my hand. If my shot went as planned, I would replay that shot all the way to the ball stopping at the target and if it did not go as planned,I would quickly ascertain why not, making the mental notes necessary to hit the appropriate shot the next time and then forget the swing & outcome of my last shot.

The most critical factor in formulating one's own Post-Shot Routine is in accounting for all of the possible emotions and coming up with a strategy to deal with them and prepare you for the next shot.

Regarding my PSR, and I tried different points to flip my "on/off" switch, however I found that when I started my PSR when I pulled my club from my bag while standing behind the bag, I would initially visualize the shot needed and then my required swing, the ball flight/path and the desired outcome.

I would then step into address, perform my waggles with my only thoughts being of the target and then let 'er fly.

As I've said in other threads, while Pete introduced the PSR to me, he left the particulars up to me, only speaking of his and Sam's. I experimented with a few variations and settled on the one described here because it allowed me to visualize my swing and successful outcome early, when I was behind my bag and before address in the event that I had any negative thoughts or feelings and thus plenty of time(though my PSR took 32-36 seconds) to put my club back in the bag and begin again if my FEELINGS or VISION were "off." Also, once I stepped into address, I did not look at the target, only visualizing it from my prior look and visualization. If for any reason that vision was cloudy, unclear or I had a negative feeling, I would step off, put the club back in the bag and begin again.

One other thing is that I would go through my PSR and Post-Shot Routine on every single ball when I was either practicing on course or doing a "competitive" practice routine on the line. If I was doing a "mechanical" practice routine on the line, while I would obviously analyze every shot, I did not go through my PSR or Post-SR. I also would practice both my PSR and Post-SR, myriad times a day when I was alone and had a few minutes. For my Post-SR, I would visualize both successful shots and s**** shots from the past. I initially would get just as pissed standing in an elevator visualing a greenside bunker dump as I did that day on the course, lol.

Well, I hope that this helps. Like everything in this game, the PSR and Post-Shot Routine are an individual thing though hopefully this gives those working on theirs a template to work with.

Whether it's your PSR and/or your Post-Shot Routine, the bottom line and goal is to prepare yourself and give yourself the best chance to successfully hit your next shot.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Great info, Richard! Perfectly put. :-)

Picking a club for the shot, grip, stance, ripping it. I try to do the same thing for every shot.

What's your cap Bro?

All the Best,

RP

The Post-Shot Routine is as important as the PSR and depending on one's personality, more important. Where as a quality PSR is built around a consistent reproducible routine, one's Post-Shot Routine is based more off of one's reaction to the outcome of their last shot.

If one just hit a poor shot, they must quickly analyze why they had the outcome that they had and then forget the shot and outcome. This is easier said than done however it MUST be done to be able to move forward in the right frame of mind to attempt the next shot successfully. They must then picture the shot that they visualized during their PSR and that is the last picture that should be in their mind. They should then forget that shot and clear their mind.

If one has just hit a great shot and their adrenaline is spiked and they are excited, they must use their Post-Shot Routine to first, give themselves a mental kudo and then replay the shot to further ingrain it in their mental movie projector and then they must get back to the present, control their breathing, adrenaline and focus and clear their mind and move on.

My Post-Shot Routine was done after my follow through with my club still in my hand. If my shot went as planned, I would replay that shot all the way to the ball stopping at the target and if it did not go as planned,I would quickly ascertain why not, making the mental notes necessary to hit the appropriate shot the next time and then forget the swing & outcome of my last shot.

The most critical factor in formulating one's own Post-Shot Routine is in accounting for all of the possible emotions and coming up with a strategy to deal with them and prepare you for the next shot.

Regarding my PSR, and I tried different points to flip my "on/off" switch, however I found that when I started my PSR when I pulled my club from my bag while standing behind the bag, I would initially visualize the shot needed and then my required swing, the ball flight/path and the desired outcome.

I would then step into address, perform my waggles with my only thoughts being of the target and then let 'er fly.

As I've said in other threads, while Pete introduced the PSR to me, he left the particulars up to me, only speaking of his and Sam's. I experimented with a few variations and settled on the one described here because it allowed me to visualize my swing and successful outcome early, when I was behind my bag and before address in the event that I had any negative thoughts or feelings and thus plenty of time(though my PSR took 32-36 seconds) to put my club back in the bag and begin again if my FEELINGS or VISION were "off." Also, once I stepped into address,I did not look at the target, only visualizing it from my prior look and visualization. If for any reason that vision was cloudy, unclear or I had a negative feeling, I would step off, put the club back in the bag and begin again.

One other thing is that I would go through my PSR and Post-Shot Routine on every single ball when I was either practicing on course or doing a "competitive" practice routine on the line. If I was doing a "mechanical" practice routine on the line, while I would obviously analyze every shot, I did not go through my PSR or Post-SR. I also would practice both my PSR and Post-SR, myriad times a day when I was alone and had a few minutes. For my Post-SR, I would visualize both successful shots and s**** shots from the past. I initially would get just as pissed standing in an elevator visualing a greenside bunker dump as I did that day on the course, lol.

Well, I hope that this helps. Like everything in this game, the PSR and Post-Shot Routine are an individual thing though hopefully this gives those working on theirs a template to work with.

Whether it's your PSR and/or your Post-Shot Routine, the bottom line and goal is to prepare yourself and give yourself the best chance to successfully hit your next shot.

RP

First off...hope you and Maddie had a great Thanksgiving with family et al....secondly, hope treatments are going well.

Want to second your comment that a PSR was introduced to you, but not dictated to you.

I did the same for my students, especially in a group environment. I would explain the purpose, and then go through mine, pointing particularly the amount of time it took me. Any longer than 8 seconds from the time I started my routine, or shorter than 8 seconds...I could predictably expect a less than stellar shot.

And, of course, like you have pointed out....the pre-shot routine only started after the evaluation of lie, wind, etc. The post shot routine (evaluation) equally important, was always discussed as well. but never did I instruct anyone to do what I did, but encouraged each student to create his/her own way to get ready to pull the trigger...the same way, every time, to create a path to a steadier, less-prone-to-pressure swing.

Is there a time frame that is ideal or is it s personal preference?

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

As I've said in other threads, while Pete introduced the PSR to me, he left the particulars up to me, only speaking of his and Sam's. I experimented with a few variations and settled on the one described here because it allowed me to visualize my swing and successful outcome early, when I was behind my bag and before address in the event that I had any negative thoughts or feelings and thus plenty of time(though my PSR took 32-36 seconds) to put my club back in the bag and begin again if my FEELINGS or VISION were "off." Also, once I stepped into address,I did not look at the target, only visualizing it from my prior look and visualization. If for any reason that vision was cloudy, unclear or I had a negative feeling, I would step off, put the club back in the bag and begin again.

RP

First off...hope you and Maddie had a great Thanksgiving with family et al....secondly, hope treatments are going well.

Want to second your comment that a PSR was introduced to you, but not dictated to you.

I did the same for my students, especially in a group environment. I would explain the purpose, and then go through mine, pointing particularly the amount of time it took me. Any longer than 8 seconds from the time I started my routine, or shorter than 8 seconds...I could predictably expect a less than stellar shot.

And, of course, like you have pointed out....the pre-shot routine only started after the evaluation of lie, wind, etc. The post shot routine (evaluation) equally important, was always discussed as well. but never did I instruct anyone to do what I did, but encouraged each student to create his/her own way to get ready to pull the trigger...the same way, every time, to create a path to a steadier, less-prone-to-pressure swing.

For years I did the same, just teaching the general idea, and telling students, "just create your own routine that works for you".

I stopped telling them this about eight years ago for the following reason: every time I would do a lesson with the student - guess what? They were using a totally different "routine"!!

If you keep changing your "routine" - it is NOT a routine....

Now I teach a very precise routine with Five Stages, the last being the Swing Trigger Ritual, which itself has seven steps. It includes two waggles, head rotation and fixation of your vision on a precise spot in front of the ball, and "arm stretch" as the actual trigger to start your swing.

I like showing the Think Box and Play Box from Vision 54

I like to see five stages to swing

1) Information (Yardage & Club)

2) Visualization (Shape & traj)

3) Practice Swing

4) Aim

5) Swing

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x