Scotty Cameron 009 vs. Scratch 726 Putter

TheBoomer

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MB Dirtyy' timestamp='1391546179' post='8598125']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1391542688' post='8597779']
I don't think they'd sell at the $300 price point, unless it had Cameron attached to it. Even if it was limited. Look at the odyssey ti-hot 1, joe many of those were made? How many sold for $350? I just picked up a mint one for $90, and [b]as far as I can tell, it's pretty damn similar to an 009 or whatever[/b]. The head weight is a little lighter, but not my wallet!
[/quote]
Careful there, you might anger the 009 enthusiasts. :wave:...Those subtle differences between the ti-hot 1 and an 009 is what makes an 009 shape much more desirable to the putter ho.
[/quote]

Are the differences worth $1910?

Look at this, and only 1250 made
http://www.anserfreak.ne.jp/archives/2010/11/odyssey_limited_edition_tihot.html

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1391548650' post='8598365']
Approximate pricing $1100 for totally hand made with zero CNC work. Which is what I'm paying for the putter pictured. Any finish and any custom stamping.

$550 for one roughed out with CNC and finished by hand. That includes standard logoing and stamping and any standard plated or barrel brown or barrel black finish.
[/quote]

I love the look of a true hand made putter and this is a really cool take on a classic design.

Let us know how it rolls.

The guys at Scratch are going to fail when it comes to these putters and I don't mean to sound negative, but it's the truth. If they are going to charge $1000+ for a putter it better be something truly special because Byron has the market locked with the DH89 if you are not going to buy a 009. For $1000 have the option of getting a GSS from byron or a crazy custom DH89 in Steel or Carbon and put money back into our pocket for what it would cost for a Scratch "726". I just don't get these guys. Sure a few people will take the plunge and buy a Scratch putter, but majority are going to stick with Byron.

Cool project, but wayyyyyyyyy off in my mind.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Count me out at that price point, I'd much rather have a Byron. I like Scratch (I have 3 of their wedges) but their pricing has gotten off base in the last couple of years. This putter is no different, they could have made a dent in Byron's DH89 business for around a $350 putter with this head shape but pricing it higher than the competition isn't going to work.

Bummer.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1391609702' post='8602551']
So much whining. :(

Maybe they aren't targeting the Byron audience? I'm sure there are lots of people who know Scratch and don't know Byron.
[/quote]

You're right they aren't targeting the Byron audience they are targeting the 009 audience, hence why they were sent a 009 to replicate and not a DH89. I love how on wrx the new phrase is whining, when people give input on their opinion and it's not full on praise. Let's face it a lot of people who are familiar with the 009 are familiar with the DH89. You see a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy one or typical Scratch because of the price. By targeting the 009 audience comes the subset of the Byron audience whether Scratch meant to or not. This thread was created on GolfWRX where a lot of Scratch's previous customers are on here as well as potential customers for this product. This is one of their widest audiences of potential customers... so if they are saying the price is high or they don't get why it's that price, I wouldn't consider it "whining". I would consider it constructive feedback and an opportunity for Scratch to come in and give the full story on their price and thoughts of this putter so everyone can understand the whole story.

:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1391615669' post='8603183']

Maybe they aren't targeting the Byron audience? I'm sure there are lots of people who know Scratch and don't know Byron.
[/quote]

You're right they aren't targeting the Byron audience they are targeting the 009 audience, hence why they were sent a 009 to replicate and not a DH89. I love how on wrx the new phrase is whining, when people give input on their opinion and it's not full on praise. Let's face it a lot of people who are familiar with the 009 are familiar with the DH89. You see a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy one or typical Scratch because of the price. By targeting the 009 audience comes the subset of the Byron audience whether Scratch meant to or not. This thread was created on GolfWRX where a lot of Scratch's previous customers are on here as well as potential customers for this product. This is one of their widest audiences of potential customers... so if they are saying the price is high or they don't get why it's that price, I wouldn't consider it "whining". I would consider it constructive feedback and an opportunity for Scratch to come in and give the full story on their price and thoughts of this putter so everyone can understand the whole story.
[/quote]

I haven't seen any whining?

I've seen shock, I've seen some confusion, but mostly shock over how high they've priced these.

I personally don't think there is room for another boutique DaleHead style maker. Does that make me a whiner?

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

[quote name='mcmanus' timestamp='1391551769' post='8598699']
Wow... $1,100?? That's rediculous! Can't you order a GSS DH89 for cheaper?[/quote]

Not including custom options like finish & stamping. But technically, yes - baseline price of GSS DH89 is [i]only [/i]$1,000.

As good as this looks, I'd rather have a pimped DH89 mini for half the price.

[/quote]

There were many @ss kissing before the price point was revealed so it's only right that there are whining about the high price point.

I made a post very early on that they are targeting Byron audience because the idea of offering a more affordable 009 is Byron's audience. I am somewhat surprised by the price point but I think this has made what Byron offers even more appealing.

Without any real tour presence, this putter won't get much attention and probably will depreciate quite significantly. Just one man's perspective and I tried to stay objective. I should disclose that I have SC putters which of course automatically makes my opinion invalid to some of you.

Titleist TSi2 
Titleist TSI2 3W 
Titleist TS2 Hyrbid
Titleist T200 irons
Vokey SM8 54, 58
Taylormade Spider SX32

First of all, my apology to Boomer and folks at Scratch for derailing the topic. I'll keep my response short.

Secondly, it's funny the price point ($50 more expensive than DH89) would turn people off. It is NOT hard to make $50 in America! I have a lot of respect for doer, maker, builder. For anyone who says he's going to order a DH89 because he can't afford a Scratch 746, go flip burgers for a day, you'll come up with $50 and more.

Edit: I am not trying to offend anyone works in fast food restaurant. I just mean you have the ability to make money, esp. like $50. Man, it's hard to say anything these days without being political incorrect.

[quote name='Fish-N-Chips' timestamp='1391616921' post='8603329']

I've seen shock, I've seen some confusion, but mostly shock over how high they've priced these.

I personally don't think there is room for another boutique DaleHead style maker. Does that make me a whiner?
[/quote]

[quote name='Medson' timestamp='1391620527' post='8603833']
First of all, my apology to Boomer and folks at Scratch for derailing the topic. I'll keep my response short.

Secondly, it's funny the price point ($50 more expensive than DH89) would turn people off. It is NOT hard to make $50 in America! I have a lot of respect for doer, maker, builder. For anyone who says he's going to order a DH89 because he can't afford a Scratch 746, go flip burgers for a day, you'll come up with $50 and more.

Edit: I am not trying to offend anyone works in fast food restaurant. I just mean you have the ability to make money, esp. like $50. Man, it's hard to say anything these days without being political incorrect.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think your missing the point ... all things being equal, I think more people would take the Byron. If the Scratch were significantly cheaper, that might persuade them to go for the Scratch. I don't think the extra $50 at the price point is a deterrent.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Edit: I am not trying to offend anyone works in fast food restaurant. I just mean you have the ability to make money, esp. like $50.[b] Man, it's hard to say anything these days without being political incorrect.[/b]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree especially when you do and then people say you are "whining"

Let me ask a serious question though. Is the $550 Scratch model that's not completely hand made the same process that Byron goes through for a normal DH89 (not talking GSS)? I don't know the answer to this so any experts thoughts would be appreciated.

[quote name='smeech8000' timestamp='1391618772' post='8603605']
Wow... $1,100?? That's rediculous! Can't you order a GSS DH89 for cheaper?[/quote]

Not including custom options like finish & stamping. But technically, yes - baseline price of GSS DH89 is [i]only [/i]$1,000.

[/quote]

Just for the record... Byron doesn't charge extra for stamping and only certain finishes cost extra. It's actually pretty easy to design a fantastic looking putter with no upcharges at all.

Back on track...

If Scratch wanted to sell a bunch of these, I think the price point would have to come in at $349. Then, you would be able to get into an Dale Head for the price of an OTR Scotty, and it would present a significant cost savings over a Byron. Not only would they take a bunch of orders from WRX, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get them on the shelves at a few of the big box stores. If you put this putter next to a Cameron Select or a Kenny Giannini, for a very similar price point, the choice would be clear (to me, anyway). They would probably sell quite a few of them.

The $550 price point, however, seems to limit their target market to Scratch loyalists and collectors, only. Anyone who is looking for a DH style putter, but doesn't want to spend the coin for a $2000-$3000 009, would probably end up going with Byron. While it's $50 less, it's not all about the $50. Byron has been making Dale Head putters forever, and has truly mastered the design and execution of them. Not only can you have your putter built by someone who has mastered the DH design, but you can also spend $50 less to have your putter built... that last bit is just a bonus.

That said, if I had a bag full of Scratch clubs, or I was a collector that liked this head style, I'd probably be in the market for this. I'm a big fan of the Case Hardened finishes that James Ingles does.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1391621440' post='8603915']

Edit: I am not trying to offend anyone works in fast food restaurant. I just mean you have the ability to make money, esp. like $50.[b] Man, it's hard to say anything these days without being political incorrect.[/b]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Let me ask a serious question though. Is the $550 Scratch model that's not completely hand made the same process that Byron goes through for a normal DH89 (not talking GSS)? I don't know the answer to this so any experts thoughts would be appreciated.
[/quote] I would say that the process is pretty close.

Now to the price, it may work out in the end for them, but I think that depends if they can actually come up with a quality putter that stands up to a Byron, or a Scotty. This is something they have never been able to do before. There is a long history with Scratch and putters, and nothing has really worked out, other than James Ingles making a few putters that are very high end and look more like collector pieces.

If this doesn't work out for them, I hope they take their own advice and stick to what they do well, and go with that.

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1391621440' post='8603915']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

TheBoomer said: "$550 for one roughed out with CNC and finished by hand."

I'm not sure what their definition of "roughed out with CNC" is. However, Byron's DH89 blanks come from the CNC "rough" as well (some edges are so sharp that you need to be careful when handling them so you don't cut yourself). Then he hand finishes the edges, corners, necks, bumpers, etc...

Though there is more than one way to skin a cat... there aren't [i]that[/i] many more. I assume that the processes are very similar.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Interesting idea but agree with everyone else about the price point, Byron offers both Carbon and American Stainless at $500 typically with fine milling, and if all you want is some custom stamping then you're at the same price point.

Lastly the 009 that Cameron produces was a copy of Byron's DH89 cad file and Scotty made a few subtle changes.

At the end of the day it will be about name recognition. But hey, for anyone who loves scratch this is a good idea - just won't gain the demand that a price point around $400 would have produced.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

[quote name='Paranorml' timestamp='1391624876' post='8604297']
Interesting idea but agree with everyone else about the price point, Byron offers both Carbon and American Stainless at $500 typically with fine milling, and if all you want is some custom stamping then you're at the same price point.

Lastly the 009 that Cameron produces was a copy of Byron's DH89 cad file and Scotty made a few subtle changes.

At the end of the day it will be about name recognition. But hey, for anyone who loves scratch this is a good idea - just won't gain the demand that a price point around $400 would have produced.
[/quote]
Many of us who play Scratch already have 1 or multiple Byrons. I might be interested in picking one, but it would have to prove to be the same quality or better than a Byron, tp mills etc. If it was cheaper than the others then it is a no brainer if they turn out to be good quality.

Wow, tough crowd :)

Just thought I would chime in seeing as there have been some questions raised that I thought people would like answers to.
Firstly in regards to the $1100 price tag, when I originally linked up with Scratch the same questions were raised about the price of the hand mades, and I did similar in replying then, so I posted fully and frankly about the cost. I won’t go over old ground again here, as it is the more machined ones in question (it is on WRX though if you search for the link up thread). The guys on here that I have dealt with and other putter makers, I hope, know that I am a straight up, honest person and am always happy to answer emails, speak to people, so there is certainly nothing cloak and dagger about what I do.

So, Boomer’s putter. Ari contacted me about the putter Boomer wanted and gave the details, we made it and Boomer is working out the final finish etc he wants. The potential ‘machine made’ ones have really come about some-what by chance, particularly the Dalehead/DH89/009 style. Boomer knew some other guys that wanted similar so he and Ari chatted about whether there was a way to make a putter like Boomer’s hand made, with less hand work and lower price tag.

All we (James Ingles Putters) do at the minute is hand made putters, which means we can do about 200 a year with Scratch. When we first linked up the first thing everyone said was $1000 for a putter, man, that’s expensive, you’re limiting your market, that’s crazy.
Right near the workshop there is another shop that do machining who I know and earlier in the year I gave them a couple of our old heads to set up, one was an squarish Anser 2 type and the other a high toe, both putters we have made for customers before, but the squarish anser was the first heel toe weighted putter I did back in 2010 (Im sure there are pics somewhere). They knocked up a jig, make me a dozen of each, and they are sitting in the workshop. I haven’t done anything with them as we’ve been busy with the hand mades, but it was good to know we had an option if we wanted to do a run of some putters at better prices for people (I understand price is very relative).

So for the last 8 months I have had some machined heads (without) necks.

The dalehead DH89 009 shape is one that we have had a lot of people ask about and with Boomer’s putter there were more enquiries so I spoke to the guys and asked whether we could modify one of the jigs to make a more rounded 009/dalehead shape and do a few, which we could.

So we are going to get some made, they will get roughly machined then the workshop will file/chisel/sand to finish. The necks would be welded on separately, so pretty much any neck would come as standard.

I think it has been a bit misunderstood that these are some sort of production putter, which isn’t right, they are customs, we are going to make a small run to sell to guys that have already said they’re interested and then anyone else that wants one. When I say a small the guys in the shop are making about 25 heads depending on what they get out of the length. So the circa $550 cost is a) small run, higher unit cost b) man hours to finish them.
I can understand the comments on price, but were not making 0000’s of these, so aren’t getting ‘cheap’ unit costs and there are a lot of man hours involved, the necks are made from solid (by hand), they are then welded, there isn’t a standard neck, the bullet logos have to made and fitted etc etc, so there is a bit more than meets the eye in terms of what it takes to make one.

With the amount of people contacting us about a ‘cheaper’ putter that didn’t need to be hand made from billet, as I am already friends with the guys in the machine shop, we thought we could make a few extra putters for people, that weren’t interested in the hand mades, it was an organic decision, not a we want to pick up x% of this slice of the market.

Selling putters at $350 just simply isn’t possible for us, essentially the company makes hand made putters and that is how we are set up. We now have the option of doing small runs of some machined putters every now and then for lower prices.

Apologies for the length of this point and congratulations if you made it this far without falling asleep, but hopefully it answers some of the questions people had and I hope people that know me on here or have dealt with me in the past know that the pricing is a feasibility issue, not one of profiteering.

[quote name='JTI' timestamp='1391636361' post='8605557']
Wow, tough crowd :)

Just thought I would chime in seeing as there have been some questions raised that I thought people would like answers to.
Firstly in regards to the $1100 price tag, when I originally linked up with Scratch the same questions were raised about the price of the hand mades, and I did similar in replying then, so I posted fully and frankly about the cost. I won’t go over old ground again here, as it is the more machined ones in question (it is on WRX though if you search for the link up thread). The guys on here that I have dealt with and other putter makers, I hope, know that I am a straight up, honest person and am always happy to answer emails, speak to people, so there is certainly nothing cloak and dagger about what I do.

So, Boomer’s putter. Ari contacted me about the putter Boomer wanted and gave the details, we made it and Boomer is working out the final finish etc he wants. The potential ‘machine made’ ones have really come about some-what by chance, particularly the Dalehead/DH89/009 style. Boomer knew some other guys that wanted similar so he and Ari chatted about whether there was a way to make a putter like Boomer’s hand made, with less hand work and lower price tag.

All we (James Ingles Putters) do at the minute is hand made putters, which means we can do about 200 a year with Scratch. When we first linked up the first thing everyone said was $1000 for a putter, man, that’s expensive, you’re limiting your market, that’s crazy.
Right near the workshop there is another shop that do machining who I know and earlier in the year I gave them a couple of our old heads to set up, one was an squarish Anser 2 type and the other a high toe, both putters we have made for customers before, but the squarish anser was the first heel toe weighted putter I did back in 2010 (Im sure there are pics somewhere). They knocked up a jig, make me a dozen of each, and they are sitting in the workshop. I haven’t done anything with them as we’ve been busy with the hand mades, but it was good to know we had an option if we wanted to do a run of some putters at better prices for people (I understand price is very relative).

So for the last 8 months I have had some machined heads (without) necks.

The dalehead DH89 009 shape is one that we have had a lot of people ask about and with Boomer’s putter there were more enquiries so I spoke to the guys and asked whether we could modify one of the jigs to make a more rounded 009/dalehead shape and do a few, which we could.

So we are going to get some made, they will get roughly machined then the workshop will file/chisel/sand to finish. The necks would be welded on separately, so pretty much any neck would come as standard.

I think it has been a bit misunderstood that these are some sort of production putter, which isn’t right, they are customs, we are going to make a small run to sell to guys that have already said they’re interested and then anyone else that wants one. When I say a small the guys in the shop are making about 25 heads depending on what they get out of the length. So the circa $550 cost is a) small run, higher unit cost b) man hours to finish them.
I can understand the comments on price, but were not making 0000’s of these, so aren’t getting ‘cheap’ unit costs and there are a lot of man hours involved, the necks are made from solid (by hand), they are then welded, there isn’t a standard neck, the bullet logos have to made and fitted etc etc, so there is a bit more than meets the eye in terms of what it takes to make one.

With the amount of people contacting us about a ‘cheaper’ putter that didn’t need to be hand made from billet, as I am already friends with the guys in the machine shop, we thought we could make a few extra putters for people, that weren’t interested in the hand mades, it was an organic decision, not a we want to pick up x% of this slice of the market.

Selling putters at $350 just simply isn’t possible for us, essentially the company makes hand made putters and that is how we are set up. We now have the option of doing small runs of some machined putters every now and then for lower prices.

Apologies for the length of this point and congratulations if you made it this far without falling asleep, but hopefully it answers some of the questions people had and I hope people that know me on here or have dealt with me in the past know that the pricing is a feasibility issue, not one of profiteering.
[/quote]

This makes a lot of sense and I wish this was posted to begin with. I appreciate your comments and explanation. I look forward to seeing more pics and reviews. Thanks again

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1391557249' post='8599249']
[quote name='TooMuchAwesome' timestamp='1391540240' post='8597513']
^ The finish looks okay but I think the milling looks cheap IMO.
[/quote]

It is done by hand. the very opposite of cheap.
[/quote]

I said it looks cheap, which was my opinion. Deep milling is just more aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I know JI makes great stuff, just don't care for the look of that mill.

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1391622995' post='8604089']
[quote name='smeech8000' timestamp='1391618772' post='8603605']

[/quote]

Just for the record... Byron doesn't charge extra for stamping and only certain finishes cost extra. It's actually pretty easy to design a fantastic looking putter with no upcharges at all.

Back on track...

If Scratch wanted to sell a bunch of these, I think the price point would have to come in at $349. Then, you would be able to get into an Dale Head for the price of an OTR Scotty, and it would present a significant cost savings over a Byron. Not only would they take a bunch of orders from WRX, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get them on the shelves at a few of the big box stores. If you put this putter next to a Cameron Select or a Kenny Giannini, for a very similar price point, the choice would be clear (to me, anyway). They would probably sell quite a few of them.

The $550 price point, however, seems to limit their target market to Scratch loyalists and collectors, only. Anyone who is looking for a DH style putter, but doesn't want to spend the coin for a $2000-$3000 009, would probably end up going with Byron. While it's $50 less, it's not all about the $50. Byron has been making Dale Head putters forever, and has truly mastered the design and execution of them. Not only can you have your putter built by someone who has mastered the DH design, but you can also spend $50 less to have your putter built... that last bit is just a bonus.

That said, if I had a bag full of Scratch clubs, or I was a collector that liked this head style, I'd probably be in the market for this. I'm a big fan of the Case Hardened finishes that James Ingles does.
[/quote]

No way they are going to get someone to hand file a Dale Head for $350. Even before he hooked up with Scratch JI was into creating some extraordinary putters. This guy could braid you a long neck if you wanted.