2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Picking a Golf Trip

Hey all,

I am a new member to the site and am currently debating on where I should go on my next golf destination. From looking at everyone's comments it would sound stupid of me to not choose Bandon. But is it really that great? Im from just south of Denver (currently a student at Ohio State), and I can't stand all the links style courses in the Denver metro area (riverdale,murphy creek). Links golf jus't doesn't appeal to me, and that is the essence of Bandon.

Basically I am asking will Bandon change my view on links golf? And would it be better than a trip to the Southeast to play Harbour Town, Sea Island, and Sawgrass?

Where should I take my next trip? Im planning on going sometime in Mid June during my Summer Break

Let me know what your opinions are...

Austin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that I don't like links golf. Unless they are all like the courses in Denver haha. But I think a trip over to the UK would be awesome and I hope to make it over there at some point in my life. But for me I always seem to prefer the courses that are lush and green with lots of trees and water.

Just my .02 though.

Everyone raves about Bandon on here so much, I just feel I may be missing something if I don't go.

Marrk- Long native grass, no trees (i.e.) can see flags on several other greens while on one hole, not as visually appealing (not as green fairways), hard greens.

I just don't like courses that have native grass instead of a couple cuts of rough. Usually not the straightest off the tee, and I hate searching and hacking up long grass all day.

But maybe Bandon is different.

[quote name='MileHighBuckeye' timestamp='1391621336' post='8603899']
Marrk- Long native grass, no trees (i.e.) can see flags on several other greens while on one hole, not as visually appealing (not as green fairways), hard greens.

I just don't like courses that have native grass instead of a couple cuts of rough. Usually not the straightest off the tee, and I hate searching and hacking up long grass all day.

[/quote]

Understandable. Visual appeal is a huge factor. I actually love seeing tons of other flag sticks off in the distance. To each his own.

I'm also a bit wild off the tee. I'd say the difference with Bandon is that the fairways are typically extremely wide; 2 or 3 or even 4 times wider than your average fairway. Ballyneal is the same and was my first experience with anything like that. You may leave yourself an awful angle, but you can almost always find and play your tee ball.

But hey, vacations are precious. Gotta go with what you love.

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1391622232' post='8603999']
[quote name='MileHighBuckeye' timestamp='1391621336' post='8603899']

[/quote]

Understandable. Visual appeal is a huge factor. I actually love seeing tons of other flag sticks off in the distance. To each his own.

I'm also a bit wild off the tee. I'd say the difference with Bandon is that the fairways are typically extremely wide; 2 or 3 or even 4 times wider than your average fairway. Ballyneal is the same and was my first experience with anything like that. You may leave yourself an awful angle, but you can almost always find and play your tee ball.

But hey, vacations are precious. Gotta go with what you love.
[/quote]

Guess the only way to know if I will like it or not is to go play it... I'll keep it on the short list of potential destinations and price those out. Any tips/advice before booking if I do decide to head out there. Also, what does Bandon weather look like in June? Lots of rain?wind?sun?

[quote name='MileHighBuckeye' timestamp='1391622873' post='8604077']
Guess the only way to know if I will like it or not is to go play it... I'll keep it on the short list of potential destinations and price those out. Any tips/advice before booking if I do decide to head out there. Also, what does Bandon weather look like in June? Lots of rain?wind?sun?
[/quote]

They have a hole by hole description of every course with pictures on their website.

I've played both Pacific Dunes and Kohler and absolutely loved both. I'm heading back to Bandon next week, as imo, it is the purest golf experience that you can possibly encounter in North America.

To answer your question, yes it simply is that good.

Bandon is my favorite destination in the US. Its the only "real" links golf found in the US. If you don't like wind its not for you, but I would encourage anyone to go there as long as they keep an open mind. I think Bandon is the best golf destination in the US. Better than pebble. Heres a link with a ton of info on Bandon Dunes as well as lots of other destinations in the US:

http://www.golftripper.com/destinations/bandon-oregon/

I would choose Bandon Dunes if you are looking for a golf destination in the US. It is all day golf, eat and sleep. Not much else to do around there other than golf, & the golf is the best I've played. The views of the Pacific are awesome and if you go, you must play all courses, including the par 3 course. I spent 5 days there in the first week of July with 3 other golfers and it was quite a trip. We played 36 a day, 2x we played the par 3 course, & it was memorable. I've played harbor town & sawgrass, nice course, nice experience, but nothing beats Bandon in my opinion as a pure golf destination. If you are in it for the golf and a great golfing experience with friends, then Bandon is the place to go. I'm not a links golf enthusiast either. The different course layouts like Bandon Trails where u are inland & the views of the pacific will make u forget links golf. I promise…..

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I love Bandon's courses and have been going there annually for years.

But a few of my friends have played there (& Chambers Bay) and just don't like links golf. They won't be back because they prefer tree-lined courses. I respect their opinions and don't try to 'convert' them to links golf.

If you go to Bandon and really don't like the golf, then there aren't many other options right now other than Bandon Crossings, which I haven't played but apparently is pretty good.

My friends did enjoy Monterey. Perhaps you might try Monterey and/or the Bay area.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MileHighBuckeye' timestamp='1391618539' post='8603559']
Hey all,

I am a new member to the site and am currently debating on where I should go on my next golf destination. From looking at everyone's comments it would sound stupid of me to not choose Bandon. But is it really that great? Im from just south of Denver (currently a student at Ohio State), and I can't stand all the links style courses in the Denver metro area (riverdale,murphy creek). Links golf jus't doesn't appeal to me, and that is the essence of Bandon.

Basically I am asking will Bandon change my view on links golf? And would it be better than a trip to the Southeast to play Harbour Town, Sea Island, and Sawgrass?

Where should I take my next trip? Im planning on going sometime in Mid June during my Summer Break

Austin
[/quote]

We'll, I know everyone will recommend golfing in the states, but I if you have the time and money (green fees are in expensive) take a trip to Thailand. The most expensive portion of the trip is airfare, but the savings on food, lodging, and green fee will make up for the airfare.
I've played golf all over the states, Asia, and Europe, but Thailand is very unique and great. There are a lot of great courses around Bangkok and outside of Bangkok - Pattaya and Hua Hin, each is about 90 minutes to 120 minutes from Bangkok

I was just in Thailand for 9 days and played golf 8 days.
Bangkok - Royal Gem City / Thai Country Club / Ayodhya Links
Pattata - Siam Country Club ( Old Course / Plantation Course) / Laem Chabang
Hua Hin - Black Mountain / Banyan Golf

The reasons I recommend Thailand:
1. Great courses
2. Great food (there are a lot of foreign golfers, so Western food at the club house is very good)
3. Affordable green fee
4. Friendly staff
5. Experience different culture

Northern Michigan is your best bang for buck in the world. To many great courses to list and the prices are silly!

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I would go Southeast trip and experience different courses then what your use to. Worst case Vegas baby!!!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1392687629' post='8690417']
Northern Michigan is your best bang for buck in the world. To many great courses to list and the prices are silly!
[/quote]

This is what I was going to suggest... Are you leaving from Columbus or Denver? From
Columbus you can drive about 6 hours and hit some incredible golf in Michigan. A heck of a trip would be Arcadia Bluffs and then head over to Traverse City and hit Lochenheath and a few others... On the drive back to Columbus stop and play Forest Dunes. I've played a ton of golf in Hilton head and a ton of golf in northern mi, Michigan wins every time... Harbor town, IMO isn't as good as many of the track in northern mi. The weather in the summer in northern mi almost can't be beat. 80*, not overly humid and perfect blue skies.

You would save a ton of money and get some seriously good golf... Oh and..

O-H

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Phc9741' timestamp='1392661742' post='8687257']
Hey all,

Austin
[/quote]

We'll, I know everyone will recommend golfing in the states, but I if you have the time and money (green fees are in expensive) take a trip to Thailand. The most expensive portion of the trip is airfare, but the savings on food, lodging, and green fee will make up for the airfare.
I've played golf all over the states, Asia, and Europe, but Thailand is very unique and great. There are a lot of great courses around Bangkok and outside of Bangkok - Pattaya and Hua Hin, each is about 90 minutes to 120 minutes from Bangkok

I was just in Thailand for 9 days and played golf 8 days.
Bangkok - Royal Gem City / Thai Country Club / Ayodhya Links
Pattata - Siam Country Club ( Old Course / Plantation Course) / Laem Chabang
Hua Hin - Black Mountain / Banyan Golf

The reasons I recommend Thailand:
1. Great courses
2. Great food (there are a lot of foreign golfers, so Western food at the club house is very good)
3. Affordable green fee
4. Friendly staff
5. Experience different culture
[/quote]
I was there in January 2012....a FANTASTIC GOLF TRIP!!!

Milehigh, I share your sentiments. I also prefer parkland style to links. Just a preference, I like the "framing" of a hole in fact I started a thread in this formum on the same subject. It's pretty much a consensus though that Bandon is the place to go. I really think that even if that is not your preferred style of course, you have to try it at some point. That's my plan for down the road at some point anyway.

But if not Bandon, I would say Monterey is the optimal place. Other than the obvious of Pebble and Spyglaas you have Bayonent/Blackhorse which are great, and an hour or so up the road is Pasatiempo. Pretty spectacular grouping there.

On a smaller and cheaper (if you don't mind driving) take a quick few days north up through Nebraska. Take I76 up to Ogalalla and play Bayside, then catch Wildhorse at Gothenburg. Prairie Club is not far from there and you could also go further east and hit up Firethorn (Pete Dye) in Lincoln and then Quarry Oaks in Ashland. A little more time in the car but some pretty great golf for substantially less$$.

Hey all,

Austin
[/quote]Pinehurst would be a nice choice.

DM

[quote name='wdm50' timestamp='1392718605' post='8692691']
Hey all,

Austin
[/quote]Pinehurst would be a nice choice.
[/quote]

Going to be a tough trip to make in mid-June this year, but it would be a good trip.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1392689007' post='8690605']
[quote name='BG5' timestamp='1392687629' post='8690417']
[/quote]

This is what I was going to suggest... Are you leaving from Columbus or Denver? From
Columbus you can drive about 6 hours and hit some incredible golf in Michigan. A heck of a trip would be Arcadia Bluffs and then head over to Traverse City and hit Lochenheath and a few others... On the drive back to Columbus stop and play Forest Dunes. I've played a ton of golf in Hilton head and a ton of golf in northern mi, Michigan wins every time... Harbor town, IMO isn't as good as many of the track in northern mi. The weather in the summer in northern mi almost can't be beat. 80*, not overly humid and perfect blue skies.

You would save a ton of money and get some seriously good golf... Oh and..

O-H
[/quote]

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I-O

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Monterrey Peninsula. There are excellent courses of all descriptions in the area.

However, an abundance of cash is a necessity.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite