2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Question for you low handicap amateurs....

This is mostly aimed at the mid-amateur guys 25+ years old in the +2 to 4 handicap range.

I'm curious:

1) What's your current index?

2) What's your lowest index of the last year

3) Do you compete in local scratch amateur tournaments?

4) Do you compete in state, regional or invitational tournaments?

5) If yes: Have you had any success?

6) If no: Do you have any desire to do so?

7) If no: Why not?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) +1.5 or around there...will admit I am not as good as this shows right now I just dont play a lot...will pick it up around late April though

2)No clue honestly...I dont post a lot of scores. When I play in my states events they will get posted automatically but I dont post a lot of scores whether I shoot 63 or 78. I think maybe 20 rounds were posted last year and I played around 200.

3)No local scratch events to play in. I played on a scratch tour 6 or 7 years ago or so. Had a little success. Just was too much traveling.

4).Yes. I play our state mid am and am. Wish there were more state events closer to my area but they all seem to be up north. I also play in a few individual events outside of my state association.

5) I have had a little success. Finished T2 at our mid am last year. Had an awful state am. Had a few other decent rounds in other tournaments.

6) N/A

7) I think this year I may have a little more success. Last year was the first year I played more than one or two individual tournaments. I am playing in quite a few this year along with all the 4 balls I play in.

current is 1, low last year was 0. Did not play in any local events last year due to being too busy. This year I am joining a club and will be playing a lot more, might try to play some events. When I was playing often, a couple years ago, I was around +2 and was working towards more competitions but then the remodeling project of doom began, and sucked all my time away.

1)2.6

2)1.7

3)I don't compete in anything other than the occasional NCGA event through the course I marshal at.

4)I haven't played in anything other than #3

5)n/a

6)I have some desire to do so to see how my game stacks up under pressure now that I've gotten below 3. My problem is that I am now in law school and don't have any time to practice and hardly have time to play. I marshal at a course on Sunday mornings so that I have somewhere to play on my limited budget but any serious tournament aspirations will have to come once I can dedicate more time to practice.

7)n/a

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TaylorMade P730 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120T X
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 50* (51*) w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 56* (55*) w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60 w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade Spider X Prototype Centershaft
Taylormade '19 TP5
Iomic Sticky 2.3
TaylorMade National Fitters Council Staff 2019

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392217839' post='8651619']
This is mostly aimed at the mid-amateur guys 25+ years old in the +2 to 4 handicap range.

I'm curious:

[/quote]

1) 1.1
2) 0.7
3) played in some Golfweek Am Tour stuff last year. Hadn't played in any other events on account of them being mid week and me not being able to get time off for them
4/5/6) I haven't for a long time, but am going to play in a few Met area events this year (qualifiers at least).

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Age - 27

[color="#282828"]1) Haven't played much this winter, but don't have a round over par…probably +1.5 - +2[/color]

[color=#282828]2) +3.9[/color]

[color=#282828]3) There are none locally. I play in some of the local blitzes that have some lower handicaps in them. Also play a bunch of side games with the lower handicappers.[/color]

[color=#282828]4) Have not in the past, however will be doing so this year. Have plans of US Open Qualifier when the schedule is released, as well as State AM, State Open, and possibly Mid AM.[/color]

[color=#282828]5) Never played golf for competition, but in the past for cash. I play because it gets me away from the everyday stresses of life and I can get out and spend 4-6 hours with friends.[/color]

[color="#282828"]6) Depends. Too many "low handicap" (include vanity cappers here) take the game WAY too seriously. Oh, you are playing bad and are not even close to making the cut anymore…get out of my way and stop grinding for your 83. That or the people who won't help look for a ball, or those who won't even hold a conversation on the golf course. If you aren't playing for money, and your life isn't depending on that income…stop acting like a pr!ck.[/color]

[color=#282828]7) See "I like to have fun and couldn't care less about having some meaningless trophy."[/color]

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

[b]I'm curious: [/b]

Why?

[b]1) What's your current index?[/b]

Hovers around +6, haven't checking it this last month or so.

[b]2) What's your lowest index of the last year[/b]

+6.3 I believe, played long stretch of solid golf on some high rated courses.

[b]3) Do you compete in local scratch amateur tournaments?[/b]

Mmm.... Kinda a sore subject. I'll go with no.

[b]4) Do you compete in state, regional or invitational tournaments?[/b]

Mini Tours (I think most know that. No AM status so...) Haven't tried to qualify for an Open in a few years though.

[b]5) If yes: Have you had any success?[/b]

Pays the bills (More often than not anyways ;) )

[b]6) If no: Do you have any desire to do so?

7) If no: Why not? [/b]

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I'd add one additional question: How many rounds a week to you play during the golfing season in your area?

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1392225097' post='8652513']
Age - 27

[color=#282828]1) Haven't played much this winter, but don't have a round over par…probably +1.5 - +2[/color]

[color=#282828]2) +3.9[/color]

[color=#282828]3) There are none locally. I play in some of the local blitzes that have some lower handicaps in them. Also play a bunch of side games with the lower handicappers.[/color]

[color=#282828]4) Have not in the past, however will be doing so this year. Have plans of US Open Qualifier when the schedule is released, as well as State AM, State Open, and possibly Mid AM.[/color]

[color=#282828]5) Never played golf for competition, but in the past for cash. I play because it gets me away from the everyday stresses of life and I can get out and spend 4-6 hours with friends.[/color]

[color=#282828]6) Depends. Too many "low handicap" (include vanity cappers here) take the game WAY too seriously. Oh, you are playing bad and are not even close to making the cut anymore…get out of my way and stop grinding for your 83. That or the people who won't help look for a ball, or those who won't even hold a conversation on the golf course. If you aren't playing for money, and your life isn't depending on that income…stop acting like a pr!ck.[/color]

[color=#282828]7) See "I like to have fun and couldn't care less about having some meaningless trophy."[/color]
[/quote]

So it sounds like you didn't play in high school or college, yet you're a plus-handicapper? That's really solid, and quite rare. I'm not a plus right now, but will be again come spring/summer, and I also never played in high school or college (I played baseball).

I don't understand this: "[color=#282828]Have plans of US Open Qualifier when the schedule is released, as well as State AM, State Open, and possibly Mid AM"[/color]

[color=#282828]And yet you also post this: [/color][color=#282828]"I like to have fun and couldn't care less about having some meaningless trophy"[/color]

[color=#282828]So which is it? Are you playing in the qualifiers for the State Am, State Open, and possibly Mid Am? But you "couldn't care less about having some meaningless trophy"? Why would you play in them at all? As for "meaningless," I guess that's one way of looking at it, but something like the California State Amateur or the Southern California Amateur, each with over 100 year histories and plenty of great past champions are pretty meaningful as those things go, I think.[/color]

[color=#282828]Is playing for cash meaningful to you? I like to do both: play for cash and play tournaments. They are both meaningful to me. Equally so, actually, as long as the $$$ is enough to get my blood pumping.[/color]

[color=#282828]What state do you live in? [/color]

[color=#282828]As for the guys taking the rounds too seriously: You're right, of course. Some do. Most don't, though, in my experience -- especially at the Mid-Am level. It all depends where you play, too. There's a really great competitive amateur culture in both northern California and southern California. The tournaments are run well, pace of play is enforced, and the venues are usually top notch. Good stuff....[/color]

[quote name='blaird' timestamp='1392218498' post='8651697']
1) +1.5 or around there...will admit I am not as good as this shows right now I just dont play a lot...will pick it up around late April though

2)No clue honestly...I dont post a lot of scores. When I play in my states events they will get posted automatically but I dont post a lot of scores whether I shoot 63 or 78. I think maybe 20 rounds were posted last year and I played around 200.

3)No local scratch events to play in. I played on a scratch tour 6 or 7 years ago or so. Had a little success. Just was too much traveling.

4).Yes. I play our state mid am and am. Wish there were more state events closer to my area but they all seem to be up north. I also play in a few individual events outside of my state association.

5) I have had a little success. Finished T2 at our mid am last year. Had an awful state am. Had a few other decent rounds in other tournaments.

6) N/A

7) I think this year I may have a little more success. Last year was the first year I played more than one or two individual tournaments. I am playing in quite a few this year along with all the 4 balls I play in.
[/quote]

How old are you? Great finish in your mid-am last year, by the way. Do you ever try to play any invitationals? There are some GREAT ones nationwide. You have to be willing to travel, though, but once you get there, the top invitationals treat you like a tour player. First class stuff.

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1392223281' post='8652279']
current is 1, low last year was 0. Did not play in any local events last year due to being too busy. This year I am joining a club and will be playing a lot more, might try to play some events. When I was playing often, a couple years ago, I was around +2 and was working towards more competitions but then the remodeling project of doom began, and sucked all my time away.
[/quote]

Yeah, it really has to be a commitment of some sort. You have to decide: "I'm playing some tournaments this year!" and then block off the time, pay the entry fees, etc.

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1392224865' post='8652491']

I'm curious:

[/quote]

1) 1.1
2) 0.7
3) played in some Golfweek Am Tour stuff last year. Hadn't played in any other events on account of them being mid week and me not being able to get time off for them
4/5/6) I haven't for a long time, but am going to play in a few Met area events this year (qualifiers at least).
[/quote]

You're getting into that range where you should do it for sure. To be competitive over a full-tournament, you need to be in the +1 to +3 "tournament-tested" range in the bigger states/regions, but you can certainly qualify if you play one good round. There's so much to be learned in those things if you go into them with the right mindset.

[quote name='faberj12' timestamp='1392224429' post='8652449']
1)2.6

2)1.7

3)I don't compete in anything other than the occasional NCGA event through the course I marshal at.

5)n/a

6)I have some desire to do so to see how my game stacks up under pressure now that I've gotten below 3. My problem is that I am now in law school and don't have any time to practice and hardly have time to play. I marshal at a course on Sunday mornings so that I have somewhere to play on my limited budget but any serious tournament aspirations will have to come once I can dedicate more time to practice.

7)n/a
[/quote]

NCGA is a GREAT golf association. They do things right. I play in the NCGA Masters whenever I can. Fly up from SoCal and qualify and then play. The reason? It's at Spyglass!! two rounds at Spyglass for $250. Can't beat that. One round there is $375!!

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392305569' post='8659271']

6) N/A

[/quote]

How old are you? Great finish in your mid-am last year, by the way. Do you ever try to play any invitationals? There are some GREAT ones nationwide. You have to be willing to travel, though, but once you get there, the top invitationals treat you like a tour player. First class stuff.
[/quote]

Im 31. There are a couple invitationals around here such as the Magnolia Invitational in Hattiesburg (I played in this last year and finished like 22nd out of 80 some odd people). I also played in the Labor Day Invitational at Mobile CC. That tournament has changed from what it used to be. It used to be 125 or so players from good high school players to some good college players and some good mid ams but the format changed a few years ago and went to like 30 mid ams only. Weirdly enough it is played in the middle of the courses member/guest tournament. Was funny hitting a shot to 17 and seeing 75 people in the next fairway watching the shoot out.

Our states golf association has a few invitationals in state but the majority of them are in the northern part of the state. I cant figure out why they dont do one down on the coast. We have some of the top courses in the state.

I will probably add the USGA mid am qualifier into my tournaments. I would love to play more individual events but its just so hard to afford everything. I have about 5 four balls that me and a buddy play in every year so I cant skip those.

[quote name='blaird' timestamp='1392306053' post='8659339']
[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392305569' post='8659271']

6) N/A

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im 31. There are a couple invitationals around here such as the Magnolia Invitational in Hattiesburg (I played in this last year and finished like 22nd out of 80 some odd people). I also played in the Labor Day Invitational at Mobile CC. That tournament has changed from what it used to be. It used to be 125 or so players from good high school players to some good college players and some good mid ams but the format changed a few years ago and went to like 30 mid ams only. Weirdly enough it is played in the middle of the courses member/guest tournament. Was funny hitting a shot to 17 and seeing 75 people in the next fairway watching the shoot out.

Our states golf association has a few invitationals in state but the majority of them are in the northern part of the state. I cant figure out why they dont do one down on the coast. We have some of the top courses in the state.

I will probably add the USGA mid am qualifier into my tournaments. I would love to play more individual events but its just so hard to afford everything. I have about 5 four balls that me and a buddy play in every year so I cant skip those.
[/quote]

You should try to get into the Carlton Woods Invitational in Houston. Fantastic tournament with a top field.

1.2 index, but the season has yet to start here.

.3 was my lowest

I compete in a few open flight tournaments, but since them boy came last year, the tournament schedule is a bit smaller!

I plan in qualifying for the Illinois Amateur this year

I've never really done any of them before, so this year will be a first.

Yes, I plan on trying it this year.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1392307024' post='8659475']

.3 was my lowest

I compete in a few open flight tournaments, but since them boy came last year, the tournament schedule is a bit smaller!

[/quote]

Good for you. How old are you? Did you play in high school or college?

My handicap has been all over the map this past year as I made a big swing change. I plan on trying to qualify for two state Am's, the one I live in and the one the club I belong to is in. I live on a border. I will play in the Mid Am in the state I live in. I have qualified for the State Am before but haven't made the cut in the Am, which is final 36 where I am. We have a couple of pretty fun local tournaments, not as many as we used to, but I will play in two of them. Best I have ever finished was 2nd once. I have never won a tournament. Didn't play golf in high school let alone college, played football in college. I hope to play at least 3 times per week this year. I will try to practice more.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1392307458' post='8659531']
My handicap has been all over the map this past year as I made a big swing change. I plan on trying to qualify for two state Am's, the one I live in and the one the club I belong to is in. I live on a border. I will play in the Mid Am in the state I live in. I have qualified for the State Am before but haven't made the cut in the Am, which is final 36 where I am. We have a couple of pretty fun local tournaments, not as many as we used to, but I will play in two of them. Best I have ever finished was 2nd once. I have never won a tournament. Didn't play golf in high school let alone college, played football in college. I hope to play at least 3 times per week this year. I will try to practice more.
[/quote]

Very nice. When I started playing competitively, I was quite intimidated by the top players in SoCal at first. Then I just went to work on getting better. I never got to the heights that some of the top players did. Never won an individual tournament, but playing with many of the top mid-amateurs in the country got my blood pumping and my desire to improve going big time. For my money, there's just nothing like playing in a big amateur event or invitational.

4 or 5 now but lowest in past has been +2.3. Haven't played more than 3 or 4 rounds a year in the last 5 years or so. Played competitively in highschool and college. Completely self taught, never had a lesson (golf digest swing sequences, thank you). Always was a good ball striker and course manager but was a streaky putter and put too much pressure on myself to perform. Just getting back into the game now that my career has started to come together as I would like (I'm 27). Plan to get a driving range membership this year and play maybe a couple times a wekk (but practice 1-2hrs a day 5 days a week). Always doubted my putting growing up because I have an arc stroke and it seemed all anyone was preaching was SBST and using 2-balls. Never worked for me though. Plan to go for provincial mid am and hopefully play well enough to qualify for national mid am cause its in my home province this year. depending on how it all goes I may go for us mid am. there are several great local invitationals with top am's and college players that I will also try to play 1 or 2 of. This year is my golf renaissance and I can't wait. Making a slight tweak to my swing this year that has me over the moon excited that i'm open to feedback on. I've always had a slightly long swing (or tendancy for the swing to get long) and a bit of a nicklaus flying elbow. One day i was messing around on you tube and watch a video of hogan swing. Now i've never been a technician or even understood what made one golf swing better than another and never been able to recognize keys or flaws to swings but hogan's right elbow jumped out at me immediately and i had a bit of an "ah ha" moment. So, i'm planning to key on a tightly tucked right elbow like a hogan or dufner, go for the center of the green pin high and let my putter do the rest. I hit the ball fairly long to begin with so i'm hoping some added control, more confident putting approach coupled with 200 5-iron, driver 300 distance will make me better then ever before. cheers fellas

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

I'm curious:

I am the anomaly, or I suspect I am anyway.

1) What's your current index? 2.3

2) What's your lowest index of the last year? 1.8

3) Do you compete in local scratch amateur tournaments? No

4) Do you compete in state, regional or invitational tournaments? No

6) If no: Do you have any desire to do so? No.

7) If no: Why not? I don't really think I am good enough to compete. I don't really think I care enough to try and get good enough to compete. My hobby time is fun based, my spare time is kid centric so I guess what I am saying is, if I have time to play golf, I want to play, not practice. I hate to play with people who take golf seriously. I want to play with people who hit the ball and chase it. If they hit 62 times and have fun, that's awesome. If they hit it 90 times and have fun, that is awesome too. I want to laugh on the golf course, not grind it out. If I hit a funny shot (insert hosel rocket or lay sod over it), and I do, I want people to be able to say something funny about it, not feel like they should pity my poor fortune. There is no poor fortune, I hit a crummy shot, and it was funny. If I want a beer, I don't want someone to question my commitment to the game, I want a beer. These scenarios rarely play out in tournaments, or at least the one I play each year. It is a grind, but my home course hosts it so I play in it, whether I want to or not. Kind of reminds me every 363 days that golf isn't always fun and I should be thankful I don't have to do again for 51.5 weeks.
[/quote]

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392305969' post='8659325']
[quote name='faberj12' timestamp='1392224429' post='8652449']
1)2.6

2)1.7

5)n/a

7)n/a
[/quote]

NCGA is a GREAT golf association. They do things right. I play in the NCGA Masters whenever I can. Fly up from SoCal and qualify and then play. The reason? It's at Spyglass!! two rounds at Spyglass for $250. Can't beat that. One round there is $375!!
[/quote]

NCGA is awesome and most of the member courses have really solid men's clubs that give discounts on NCGA memberships. I've never had the opportunity to play a round with another WRXer so if you come up to NorCal to play shoot me a PM.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TaylorMade P730 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120T X
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 50* (51*) w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 56* (55*) w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60 w/Nippon Modus 130T S
TaylorMade Spider X Prototype Centershaft
Taylormade '19 TP5
Iomic Sticky 2.3
TaylorMade National Fitters Council Staff 2019

[list=1]
[*]What's your current index?
[/list]
[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

2) What's your lowest index of the last year[/indent]

[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

3) Do you compete in local scratch amateur tournaments?[/indent]

[indent=1]No. No such tournaments around here.[/indent]
[indent=1]

4) Do you compete in state, regional or invitational tournaments?[/indent]

[indent=1]Only invitationals[/indent]
[indent=1]

5) If yes: Have you had any success?[/indent]

[indent=1]Yes, almost always among the top 5 with a win every now and then[/indent]
[indent=1]

6) If no: Do you have any desire to do so?[/indent]

[indent=1]No desire to play state or regional tournaments[/indent]
[indent=1]

7) If no: Why not?[/indent]

[indent=1]Honestly? Too many +2 to 4 HCP players who think that they are the kings of the world. I can’t stand the arrogant and selfish behavior of some of those high flyers. And when I see all the cheating during such a tournament I definitely prefer to play a round with my buddies and have fun. Not that all lower HCP are arrogant and selfish and cheat. Definitely not. But definitely more than I endure.[/indent]

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1392317902' post='8660873'][list=1]
[/list]
[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]Yes, almost always among the top 5 with a win every now and then[/indent]
[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]Honestly? Too many +2 to 4 HCP players who think that they are the kings of the world. I can’t stand the arrogant and selfish behavior of some of those high flyers. And when I see all the cheating during such a tournament I definitely prefer to play a round with my buddies and have fun. Not that all lower HCP are arrogant and selfish and cheat. Definitely not. But definitely more than I endure.[/indent]
[/quote]

Interesting. Here in the states, I've played in probably 300 or so tournament rounds over the years, and I witnessed exactly one instance of outright cheating. I have witnessed guys not knowing the rules and dropping wrong, etc., but I wouldn't call that cheating, just ... not knowing the rules.

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392307118' post='8659493']
[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1392307024' post='8659475']

.3 was my lowest

[/quote]

Good for you. How old are you? Did you play in high school or college?
[/quote]

I'm 27 now. I played in high school and went to State for the individual tournaments (not team) a couple of times. I didn't play in college, mainly because I wanted to pursue a golf career and actually ended up being an assistant professional for about 4 years before I went back to school. Now I work for a nuclear company and I get to play a lot more than when I worked at the course!

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1392321208' post='8661325']
[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1392317902' post='8660873'][list=1]
[/list]
[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

[indent=1]3.8[/indent]
[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[indent=1]

[/quote]

Interesting. Here in the states, I've played in probably 300 or so tournament rounds over the years, and I witnessed exactly one instance of outright cheating. I have witnessed guys not knowing the rules and dropping wrong, etc., but I wouldn't call that cheating, just ... not knowing the rules.
[/quote]

Did you ever hear about "italian caddy"? It's the description of kicking the ball out of a bad lie. I witnessed this so many times. Same as the miraculous transformation of a Titleist 3 into a Callaway 2. Or dropping another marker closer to the hole when walking to the flag. And so many times people in my foursome were only able to count to 4. O.k., to 5 on a par 5 hole....

I think that over here the HCP is much more important than in the US. Or better: people think that the HCP is sooooooooo important. So some people try to improve their scores with methods which do not come along with the rules.

That's the reason I do not play too many tournaments anymore. Sad but true....

I'm curious:

4.2 ish (always goes up for Fall golf and I am relentlessly called a bagger)

2.2 ish

... yes but not as many as I did back in the day, most of the big invites are open to Am's as well and a 75 is not quite up to snuff when 66's are being thrown down

YES ... provincial (80% of the time), national (35% of the time) .. both Mid-Ams. Has been 5 years since Am's

I have not had success in any big events as of late. Some limited success when I was in my early to mid 20's

I do have desire, but at 46 to be completely honest, the importance of success diminishes yearly

Priorities change. As I've gotten older I've accepted I won't be the scratch college golfer that I was 25 years ago. Now I find I get more enjoyment out of golf trips to big name courses with golfing buddies of similar abilities. I still occasionally play like my young self and those days are great, but are not the norm

Edit to add in rounds. I play 3 times a week in Season. Wed and Frid aft and Sunday am. Worked out to approx 100 rounds last year (incl. holidays)

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I'm curious:

1) What's your current index? I think it's 4.4, so I'm probably not really even in the target group here.

2) What's your lowest index of the last year. 2.?

3) Do you compete in local scratch amateur tournaments? No, we really don't have many here outside of our club championship.

4) Do you compete in state, regional or invitational tournaments? No, again they mostly take place at the other end of the state. And to be honest, my game doesn't travel well

6) If no: Do you have any desire to do so? I may give a senior event a try this year.

Obee, please answer your own questions sir ! I know you're quite a stick with some great competition stories

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo