2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Elin's Commencement Speech...

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1399929063' post='9281585']
For someone to insinuate that Elin was a gold digger is beyond ignorant. She wanted nothing to do with Tiger for years because of his fame and money. He relentlessly pursued her, as if she was a major tournament.

This thread needs to die.
[/quote]
[quote name='mukster' timestamp='1399930074' post='9281693']
I love the way how some guys here know EXACTLY why Elin married Tiger. You wanna speculate, that's fine. But people who claim they KNOW how it all went down, and try to preach it as the truth, give me a break already.
[/quote]

Did you hear from Tiger that she wanted nothing to do with him? Or you just read that on a magazine?

Yes this thread Needs to die because you simply do not enjoy it. /sarcasm

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399829009' post='9273813']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1399828274' post='9273767']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399827002' post='9273671']
typical wrx bs instead of giving props....elin shows maturity, class and grace this board could use plenty of. grades were earned not given. congrats to her
[/quote]

Academia has traditionally recognized those students who worked hardest. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I think folks are just pointing that out.
[/quote]

"Nordegren graduated with a 3.96 GPA and was afforded the opportunity to speak to the 268 other graduates after [b]she was selected as 'Top Senior' by a group of faculty members, an honor akin to valedictorian."[/b]
[/quote]As others have stated it took her 9 years to do so. PR move.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

typical wrx bs instead of giving props....elin shows maturity, class and grace this board could use plenty of. grades were earned not given. congrats to her
[/quote]

Agreed. Well said, thanks kemau

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Bonhomme Richard' timestamp='1399780237' post='9271705']
You know what, good for her. She's been through the ringer, manage to keep a low profile, and you have to give her credit for getting her degree. Good work.
[/quote]

Been through the ringer?

Are you kidding me? s*** she got what? 400 million? You can do whatever you want with me for that

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1399938479' post='9282439']
Did you ever start a thread and see it go to hell in a hand basket?
[/quote]

It's the hand-baskets fault, it had it coming really....it was just "hell digging" from the beginning

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1399932709' post='9281947']
[/quote]

Academia has traditionally recognized those students who worked hardest. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I think folks are just pointing that out.
[/quote]

"Nordegren graduated with a 3.96 GPA and was afforded the opportunity to speak to the 268 other graduates after [b]she was selected as 'Top Senior' by a group of faculty members, an honor akin to valedictorian."[/b]
[/quote]

[b]Laura Cole: [/b]Why did you choose Rollins?

[b]Elin Nordegren:[/b] In 2005, I lived in Windermere, and I had heard excellent things about Rollins College. I applied to the Hamilton Holt School because they offered evening classes that fit into my schedule.

[b]LC: [/b]What is one thing you would have done differently?

[b]EN: [/b]Sometimes I think I could have completed my Rollins course work a little faster. But I am also grateful that I studied part-time and could spend all my other time with my young children.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399939294' post='9282537']
[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1399932709' post='9281947']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Laura Cole: [/b]Why did you choose Rollins?

[b]Elin Nordegren:[/b] In 2005, I lived in Windermere, and I had heard excellent things about Rollins College. I applied to the Hamilton Holt School because they offered evening classes that fit into my schedule.

[b]LC: [/b]What is one thing you would have done differently?

[b]EN: [/b]Sometimes I think I could have completed my Rollins course work a little faster. But I am also grateful that I studied part-time and could spend all my other time with my young children.
[/quote]

There is part time and then there is 9 years.

There are people who have kids, work full time jobs, AND go to school part time, and get it done a lot faster than 9 years. Excuse me for not jumping for joy for Elin.

I would honestly laugh if someone worth hundreds of millions of dollars who took 9 years to get an undergrad was speaking at my graduation.

Do people not realize how insanely easy a schedule that is??

i could be wrong but what others are not too happy about is not that she finished college albeit it took 9 years as a single mother with 2 kids but that she

was singled out/chosen as the most outstanding graduate/valedictorian to make that speech when there were probably more deserving graduates...

...smacks of favoritism and a_ _ kissing....

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1399929063' post='9281585']
For someone to insinuate that Elin was a gold digger is beyond ignorant. She wanted nothing to do with Tiger for years because of his fame and money. He relentlessly pursued her, as if she was a major tournament.

This thread needs to die.
[/quote]

Sorry you feel that way.

But, over the course of my life, I've learned that I get a better read on people by watching what they DO...rather than paying attention to what they say.

While it is very possible that Elin had misgivings about jumping into the media circus that surrounds Tiger (even Lindsey Vonn, who is a celebrity in her own right, had trepidations about it), but if you think his wealth gave her pause, then it is you who is being naive.

I never said she was a "gold digger". A gold digger, in my mind, is someone who is ONLY attracted to someone because they are wealthy....like when a 30 year-old hottie marries an 80 year old billionaire. But I think you are being rather naive if you think that Tiger's wealth was not PART of what drew Elin to him.

Especially since she has shown the same preference for wealthy men since divorcing him.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='jmvargas' timestamp='1399948893' post='9283805']
i could be wrong but what others are not too happy about is not that she finished college albeit it took 9 years as a single mother with 2 kids but that she

was singled out/chosen as the most outstanding graduate/valedictorian to make that speech when there were probably more deserving graduates...

...smacks of favoritism and a_ _ kissing....
[/quote]

Yep.

I'm happy for her, and I admire her willingness to pursue knowledge when she already has more-than-enough to live off of..

But her academic accomplishments----when viewed on their own merits---are simply not that remarkable.

Like you said, I think this is a case of using her minor-celebrity status to call attention to the university....and to "groom" her for possible future donations.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1399843800' post='9274915']
Yeah shame on her for getting angry after finding out her husband slept with tens and tens of women, potentially exposing her to infectous diseases and duped her for years and years and making her life and that of her children a living hell with the media backlash.
[/quote]

Not that I disagree with anything you've stated, but things might have been a bit more complex.

[url="http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/classic/jay-leno/video/david-feherty-part-2/n32854"]http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/classic/jay-leno/video/david-feherty-part-2/n32854[/url]

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1399980615' post='9285113']

....like when a 30 year-old hottie marries an 80 year old billionaire.
[/quote]
Funny you say that cause Elin is now dating a 55 yr old billionaire chris cline. Like I said before she is like a God in gold diggers community, she has done nothing to earn any of the wealth.

[quote name='golferday' timestamp='1399986052' post='9285459']
[/quote]
Funny you say that cause Elin is now dating a 55 yr old billionaire chris cline. Like I said before she is like a God in gold diggers community, she has done nothing to earn any of the wealth.
[/quote]

A 34 year old and a 55 year old are close enough in age that there could still have a fair amount in common...and the younger woman could be genuinely attracted to the older man. But 30 year old and someone like Sterling (soon to be former owner of the LA Clippers) aren't going to have anything of significance in common....and (imo) any 30 year old who finds a 80 year old man sexually attractive needs therapy.

So I'm not going call Elin a gold digger. But the fact that she keeps finding her way into the company of EXTREMELY wealthy men happens too often to simply be coincidental.

That being said, its not about "earning" the money. She is legally entitled to half (minus whatever pre-nuptial agreements) of whatever Tiger earned while the two of them were married....plus child support for his two children. Especially for the children. They have a right to a reasonable share of the resources their father has accumulated. Regardless of whether or not their parents made a mess of their marriage.

Which is why----when you are someone who is wealthy---you need to be very careful about whom you marry. Imo, it is foolish to marry under those circumstances, unless you intend to have children. Plus the stress of not marrying will be instructive. The woman who is more into you than the money...won't care. The woman who is possibly more into the money than you...will likely keep pressuring the relationship towards that marriage contract.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='golfs453' timestamp='1399982800' post='9285211']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1399843800' post='9274915']
Yeah shame on her for getting angry after finding out her husband slept with tens and tens of women, potentially exposing her to infectous diseases and duped her for years and years and making her life and that of her children a living hell with the media backlash.
[/quote]

Not that I disagree with anything you've stated, but things might have been a bit more complex.

[url="http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/classic/jay-leno/video/david-feherty-part-2/n32854"]http://www.nbc.com/t...y-part-2/n32854[/url]
[/quote]

Hmmm...Feherty really didn't say much there other than the word "complicated." Of course there is always two sides to every story and we'll never know it all. And you know, I'm OK with that.

No need to hate her. She is what she is.

A woman who traded her youth and beauty for wealth

I don't hate her, I hate her personality. There's like 20% of ppl that has exact same personality from my experience so I dislike a lot of people. I know ppl like her, who pretend to be great person and sweet till she gets married. Then her true-self comes out. She acts like she did nothing wrong and blames everything on tiger. She can donate her money, volunteer at local hospital to help kids who has cancer but what I really care about is her motivation behind it. People seem to be easily manipulated by someone's word or simple action but what matters is what's on the inside. A lot of politicians are like that. Trust me when I say this, there are more bad people than good in this world. They all just pretend to be decent folks.

Elin is pretty much god in gold digger's community. All the girls look upto her in that community. If she wanted to be truly independent and wanted people's respect than she wouldn't have taken a cent from tiger.

I think media is hyping her just ilke jennifer lawrence or wie. Looks are subjective and Elin is not ugly but I just don't see what people find her attractive. I can go to any mall and find someone more attractive. Physically without social status or personality, she's just average.

Now she is attractive.

aBaSr.jpg

Thanks. It's always good to get a 14-year old's view of the world.

"thank'.... was obvious sarcasm but it wasn't funny or insulting. You could have just left that out. Did your feelings get hurt? Does she remind your personality? Are you here to defend this helpless lady so she can finally recognize you? I honestly don't give a crap what the reason is, instead of acting like a mature person you decide to type this passive aggressive insult like a 10yr old. Seriously dude I'm not mad at what you typed but just annoyed how immature you are.

You've never met this woman, yet you know exactly what her personality is? That is a sign of immaturity.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Congrats to Elin.

I'm a little late to the thread, but wanted to share this thought about it taking her 9 years to get her degree. My guess is it's difficult to schedule classes when you're pretty much on a perpetual vacation with either Tiger or the Billionaire businessman boyfriend. Not to mention she did have a couple of kids during that time as well.

You know what, good for her. She's been through the ringer, [u][b]manage to keep a low profile,[/b][/u] and you have to give her credit for getting her degree. Good work.
[/quote]

She gets no props for that.

Tiger is the one that made sure that she and the children were left alone.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1399994569' post='9286381']
This thread is a disgrace to golfwrx.
[/quote]
Lighten up, Francis.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1399994717' post='9286399']
You know what, good for her. She's been through the ringer, [u][b]manage to keep a low profile,[/b][/u] and you have to give her credit for getting her degree. Good work.
[/quote]

[/quote]
How did Tiger do that?

[/quote]

Not a disgrace.

While many posters could probably stand to be a little less snarky, they have a legitimate point.

Students who take 9 years to complete a 4 year degree---even when they do have a 3.9 GPA----generally aren't asked to give commencement speeches at the university level. She was asked to make that speech because she was a (minor) celebrity, and to prime her for donation requests in the future.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1400001412' post='9287133']
[/quote]

[/quote]
How did Tiger do that?
[/quote]

By aggreeing to let them leave the country for awhile.

I assume he was awarded JOINT CUSTODY of the children...and if that's the case....Mother is NOT going to be able to just run off to Sweden with the children without the consent of the other parent.

Not to mention his absolute iron-clad refusal to speak to the media about what did---or did not---go on in his family.

Like his father did for him when he first came on tour, Tiger made sure the media circus centered on him.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1400002575' post='9287285']
[/quote]

[/quote]
How did Tiger do that?
[/quote]

I assume he was awarded JOINT CUSTODY of the children...and if that's the case....Mother is NOT going to be able to just run off to Sweden with the children without the consent of the other parent.

Not to mention his absolute iron-clad refusal to speak to the media about what did---or did not---go on in his family.

Like his father did for him when he first came on tour, Tiger made sure the media circus centered on him.
[/quote]

Never thought of that angle - makes sense.

[quote name='golferday' timestamp='1399986052' post='9285459']
[/quote]
[/quote]

So you suggest that she find some 30-something working stiff that would be attracted to her for HER money? I think not. So this guy she is dating has billions to her millions, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much of a difference.

It's like the guy that yelled down to Steffi Graf when she was serving at a tourney, might have been Wimbledon, "Steffi, will you marry me?" She yelled back, "How much money do you have?" That is a very relevant question to ask.

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1400002402' post='9287263']
[/quote]

Not a disgrace.

While many posters could probably stand to be a little less snarky, they have a legitimate point.

[b]Students who take 9 years to complete a 4 year degree[/b]---even when they do have a 3.9 GPA----generally aren't asked to give commencement speeches at the university level. She was asked to make that speech because she was a (minor) celebrity, and to prime her for donation requests in the future.
[/quote]

I do not think that very many students in the [i]evening degree program[/i] complete their course of study in the equivalent time frame as regular, full-time students.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1400002790' post='9287313']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1400002575' post='9287285']
[/quote]

[/quote]
How did Tiger do that?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never thought of that angle - makes sense.
[/quote]

I don't think Tiger gets ALL the credit here, but he gets his share.

Given what blew up their marriage, both of them have behaved in a dignified manner in the aftermath. Each has let the other get on with life, and doesn't bad mouth them in the media.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1400002947' post='9287347']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1400002402' post='9287263']
[/quote]

Not a disgrace.

[b]Students who take 9 years to complete a 4 year degree[/b]---even when they do have a 3.9 GPA----generally aren't asked to give commencement speeches at the university level. She was asked to make that speech because she was a (minor) celebrity, and to prime her for donation requests in the future.
[/quote]

I do not think that very many students in the [i]evening degree program[/i] complete their course of study in the equivalent time frame as regular, full-time students.
[/quote]

Yes, [i]but they don't take nine years either[/i].

Especially with the wealth of social supports that Elin would have had at her disposal.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5