2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Elin's Commencement Speech...

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399829009' post='9273813']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1399828274' post='9273767']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399827002' post='9273671']
typical wrx bs instead of giving props....elin shows maturity, class and grace this board could use plenty of. grades were earned not given. congrats to her
[/quote]

Academia has traditionally recognized those students who worked hardest. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I think folks are just pointing that out.
[/quote]

"Nordegren graduated with a 3.96 GPA and was afforded the opportunity to speak to the 268 other graduates after [b]she was selected as 'Top Senior' by a group of faculty members, an honor akin to valedictorian."[/b]
[/quote]

Lol. And?

You think there are no 4.0's at Rollins, graduating from any program there, who did so in 4 years going full time? I am also doubtful that she was actively involved in campus organizations, Greek life, the Honors College, etc. which are typical activities a "Top Senior" would engage in. Feel free to go start another [s]TW[/s],[s] EW[/s] EN thread and complain about all the haters, though.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='27x10.5' timestamp='1399823978' post='9273421']
Nanny that married a rich dude...a true hero.
[/quote]

She was rich before knowing him and your right a nanny who then got her degree. Lots of people do that and I applaud them for it. Also that's a pretty good message to send to her children.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

typical wrx bs instead of giving props....elin shows maturity, class and grace this board could use plenty of. grades were earned not given. congrats to her
[/quote]

Academia has traditionally recognized those students who worked hardest. That doesn't seem to be the case here. I think folks are just pointing that out.
[/quote]

3.96 ... Sounds like she did the work.

[quote name='27x10.5' timestamp='1399844075' post='9274939']
I dunno I'm just being sarcastic... I can't take the college speech seriously. She's in the public eye, took 9 years, loaded...Give it to a kid that is graduating that can throw is on a resume.
[/quote]

And it will go completely unoticed except to the few that are there ... Compared to putting Elen out front and generating some buzz for the university, which could possibly do some good for future students.

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1399846967' post='9275219']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Definitely well done overall, but every institution graduates at least a dozen that achieve a 4.0. You should, however, refer to at least a part of my other post describing the other factors that colleges [i]traditionally[/i] factor into account before making an academic recognition. That is what I am getting at.

Titleist ProV1x

Q&A with Outstanding Senior Elin Nordegren ’14

May 09, 2014

Outstanding Graduating Senior Elin Nordegren ’14 discusses her passion for psychology, her love of traveling, and her favorite classes at Rollins.

SRC0260Elin_Nordegren_20140508_9852_717_478_s.jpg

Elin Nordegren ’14 is this year’s recipient of the Outstanding Graduating Senior Award from the Hamilton Holt School.

The Award is the evening degree program’s equivalent to being named a valedictorian. To be qualified, students must have a 3.9 GPA or higher and have earned 70 hours or more in academic credit. Decisions are made based upon GPA, service to the institution and/or the community, and a student’s ability to best represent his or her graduating class at Commencement. A subcommittee of faculty directors and department chairs then reviews the applications and recommends a candidate.

Nordegren was one of 15 students selected to apply for the Award, and the sole recipient. She will graduate on Saturday, May 10, with a bachelor's degree in psychology and 3.96 GPA.

“Elin’s application spoke to the determination of a single mom to complete her degree,” says Sharon Lusk, assistant dean of the Rollins Hamilton Holt School. “Faculty members spoke of her academic curiosity, personal drive, and classroom engagement in their recommendations. She is also very active in outside service initiatives that benefit children in the foster care system.”

Laura Cole: Why did you choose Rollins?

Elin Nordegren: In 2005, I lived in Windermere, and I had heard excellent things about Rollins College. I applied to the Hamilton Holt School because they offered evening classes that fit into my schedule.

LC: I’ve read that becoming a child psychologist is your childhood dream. Is that true? If so, what made you interested in it?

EN: I have always been fascinated by human behavior. When I was growing up in Sweden, my mother, sister, and I often talked about why people behave the way they do, as well as what influences our behavior. I loved our discussions. I became even more intrigued when I took my first psychology course in high school because psychology gave me a framework for understanding myself and the world around me.

I also love learning how our different family and cultural backgrounds affect our behavior and values. My family traveled a lot as my parents wanted their children to experience different life styles. Wherever we traveled, I embraced learning about the people, the similarities and differences between cultures, and at some level, how we are far more alike than I ever imagined.

My twin sister and I have chosen to pursue different paths—she studied law while I began to study psychology. Among the many things we have in common is our passion to learn, to understand people, and to share what we have learned.

LC: What was your most interesting discovery about psychology—was there a book, person, or particular lesson that really stuck with you?

EN: While studying psychology, many new doors opened for me—I discovered how much I didn’t know. There are so many different ways to interpret our experiences in life, and I appreciate being exposed to a broad-range of ideas and theories.

My mom and dad have definitely been my greatest inspiration because they are also curious about the world and also want all of us to reach our full human potential.

LC: You grew up in Sweden, and English is not your first language. What were some of the challenges of trying to communicate—especially in research papers—what you were learning? What were some of the advantages? Do you have any advice for other non-native speakers?

EN: Initially, being bi-lingual was a challenge; however, in Sweden we start learning English in school at a very young age. We also learn English by watching subtitled American movies and television shows.

The key for me was to admit that I needed help. The professors at Rollins College were very helpful, and I was also grateful to have many friends who read through my essays and helped me with any language and grammar differences. I consider it an enormous blessing to have lived half of my life in Europe and, now, almost half of my life in America. Blending the two different cultures has widened my perspective on many aspects of life and offered learning experiences that have broadened my point of view on many subjects.

I am also grateful to Rollins College Writing Center. The senior student there offered me enormous help with English structure, grammar, and vocabulary. By the way, it is WAY harder, I believe, to write structured essays and research papers in English!

LC: Was there a professor or staff member who impacted you more than others? If so, who was that person and why?

EN: I found all of the professors at Rollins to be exceptional, each with their own unique teaching style. There are three teachers who especially stood out for me: Dr. Jim Eck’s clear teaching methods in my Research Methods class made it fun. Dr. Rick Bommelje’s Listening class was invaluable, as the course material opened me to new ways of paying attention and listening. I am also grateful to have taken classes from Dr. Michelle Stecker, whose discussions about women’s studies and U.S. history were so inspiring. These three instructors are among many passionate teachers at Rollins College.

LC: What is one of your favorite memories from your time here?

EN: Some of my happiest memories have been the class discussions. I love hearing different points of views and, of course, learning how we each have come to these differing views. I am really passionate about engaging in conversations which require critical thinking and an open mind.

LC: What is one thing you would have done differently?

EN: Sometimes I think I could have completed my Rollins course work a little faster. But I am also grateful that I studied part-time and could spend all my other time with my young children.

LC: What are your plans for the future?

EN: Now having my bachelor’s degree, my interests have expanded. I am still interested in developmental psychology, but my other psychology classes here at Rollins have also broadened my passions.

LC: What’s your advice for the Class of 2014?

EN: Make your words meaningful by taking action! Follow your dreams and don’t be discouraged if it is going to take you a long time to get there. Better late than never.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1399848409' post='9275359']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Definitely well done overall, but every institution graduates at least a dozen that achieve a 4.0. You should, however, refer to at least a part of my other post describing the other factors that colleges [i]traditionally[/i] factor into account before making an academic recognition. That is what I am getting at.
[/quote]

really stretching

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399851694' post='9275611']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

really stretching
[/quote]

Like I said, go start another TW thread and complain.

Titleist ProV1x

Gets some nice publicity for Rollins. I am sure there were other deserving candidates.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

nice story but let's not put too much thinking on this....practical and almost predictable moves by all concerned..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1399853745' post='9275859']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1399851694' post='9275611']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

really stretching
[/quote]

Like I said, go start another TW thread and complain.
[/quote]

hope you enjoyed the interview

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

Kemau, I enjoy people who don't live and die by what others do. You can choose to read into context or not. I suspect you won't, but I really don't care either.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='2zlinks' timestamp='1399847663' post='9275283']
Granted I didn't listen to it nor really have a desire to. I just can't imagine a scenario where you would even think about bringing up your ex in a commencement speech.
[/quote]

She didn't directly bring him up. She made a comment about how she became citizen of this country, have children, and got married. She then reflected saying that she now has her degree, single mom of two children and well not married.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1399809960' post='9272519']
9 year part-time, multi- millionaire, "celebrity" student applies for outstanding senior award, wins (shocker) and is asked to give speech. Good PR move by college. Color me cynical. She may be the nicest peron in the world, who knows, but I'll bet there are better, more relevant stories to be found among the evening degree program students who earned degrees.
[/quote]

Agree with this 100000% sir.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1399896350' post='9277917']
[quote name='2zlinks' timestamp='1399847663' post='9275283']
Granted I didn't listen to it nor really have a desire to. I just can't imagine a scenario where you would even think about bringing up your ex in a commencement speech.
[/quote]

She didn't directly bring him up. She made a comment about how she became citizen of this country, have children, and got married. She then reflected saying that she now has her degree, single mom of two children and well not married.
[/quote]

...and unless you've been under a rock these last 20 years you wouldn't know who she was referring to??

....c'mon man....she KNEW it would bring these kind of reactions..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Never liked her, this video makes me hate her. Real mature Elin. What a great example for her kids, she marries tiger not for love but for money. Does nothing to earn it but gets over 100million dollars. Destroy his house to "get back" at him while calling it a "bug problems" cause media is trash talking her. Hell if I was tiger I would have cheated on her, can you imagine living with someone like that. I will respect some 22yr old student who works full time/full student with 2.8gpa. She's only on the stand cause of money and PR marketing by University. Still better than Wie though.......... waaaaaaay better.

[quote name='golferday' timestamp='1399900149' post='9278219']
Never liked her, this video makes me hate her. Real mature Elin. What a great example for her kids, she marries tiger not for love but for money. Does nothing to earn it but gets over 100million dollars. Destroy his house to "get back" at him while calling it a "bug problems" cause media is trash talking her. Hell if I was tiger I would have cheated on her, can you imagine living with someone like that. I will respect some 22yr old student who works full time/full student with 2.8gpa. She's only on the stand cause of money and PR marketing by University. Still better than Wie though.......... waaaaaaay better.
[/quote]

Thanks. It's always good to get a 14-year old's view of the world.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1399814127' post='9272757']
Rollins is a good school. Pete Dye and Mr. Rogers are graduates.

Big endowment for a smallish private school.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm a Rollins grad. I have no issue with her speaking there. Rollins isn't that crass that they would put her up to speak to just get her alumni dollars. Hell, she's probably on the low end of the wealth scale compared to a lot of the graduates.

[/quote]

Wow...hopefully you have a good day today and find coffee, stat.

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1399900483' post='9278259']
[/quote]

Thanks. It's always good to get a 14-year old's view of the world.
[/quote]

hahah +1.

SLDR 10,5 ALDILA RIP Phenom Nasty Long
Taylormade R11 Tour Issue 3-wood project X 7a3
Bridgestone J15 MB 4-PW X100
Bridgestone J15 52, 56, 60 wedges X100
Ping Pick em up L
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158523-steff-p-witb-20-2015/page__p__11269627__hl__+steff_p#entry11269627"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1399809960' post='9272519']
9 year part-time, multi- millionaire, "celebrity" student applies for outstanding senior award, wins (shocker) and is asked to give speech. Good PR move by college. Color me cynical. She may be the nicest peron in the world, who knows, but I'll bet there are better, more relevant stories to be found among the evening degree program students who earned degrees.
[/quote]

Not "cynical"....It just means you're not [b][i]naive.[/i][/b]

Her academic achievements are not particularly remarkable...and her only real claim-to-fame is being the trophy-ex-spouse of someone who was famous and managed to achieve in a remarkable fashion.

Unless of course being a nanny and a swimsuit model are qualifications for giving university commencement speeches these days.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[/quote]

No need to hate her. She is what she is.

A woman who traded her youth and beauty for wealth, because she didn't have much else in the way of talents to offer the world. A story as old as the 5000 years of history since the Agricultural Revolution, and humans learned to write and record history.

At the end of the day, Tiger simply shouldn't have married her....and I said that (on another forum) when he announced his engagement to her.

A tour pro is someone who is travelling and living out of a suitcase for 6 months out of the year. The PGA Tour keeps it quiet...but divorce rates are high. If a pro is going to get married, he needs a wife who self-suficient and independent. Someone who has a high self-esteem, and has enough of a life of her own (apart from the marriage) that she isn't going to feel deprived for 6 months out of the year...and complain about it the other 6 months.

Elin Nordegren never struck me as that kind of woman. Lindsey Vonn may not prove to be that kind of a woman either. But she is much more likely to be that woman that Elin ever was.

The problem with trophy wives is that they either require very expensive display cases....or frequent and expensive polishing.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1399819923' post='9273123']
[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1399812547' post='9272649']
She raises money for good causes, is humble, shuns the spotlight, is mature, well-spoken and intelligent. Y'all act like she's an axe murderer.
[/quote] [i][b]She's also about a 12.5 out of 10[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

Blondes aren't my thing.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5