2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The "Golfnow" website COMPLETE PRICING DECEPTION

eagles1

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400722113' post='9343635']
[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1400721796' post='9343587']
[b]not sure what you mean by extra taxes,[/b] I've never seen that. but the 'hot deals' are hot for a reason...they're non-refundable. [b]its not a trick[/b], they're pretty upfront that those deals, normally one a day at a specific time require pre-payment. Those deals are normally through the company themselves, and have nothing to do with the course, hence why you cannot pay when you get there. You can't just call up the course and ask for that price, b/c those are specific times that were allocated, and most likely paid for by golfnow.
[/quote]

Well my experience was different.

On "golfnow", my tee time "deal" booking [b]did not [/b]include sales tax figures in the price. You don't discover that until you hit "book" time, then the tax amount appears on the invoice, though not clearly as it it lumped in under the "tax and fees" line item. Maybe they only do this with states that have a sales tax. Dunno.

Regular tee time fees (without discount) on "golfnow"[b] has the tax included[/b] in the initial quote. Therefore, what is listed as a 25% "savings" is not correct.

[b]That's the deception.[/b]
[/quote]

This is America you have to pay taxes, Not sure why this is a surprise to you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using them for over 2 years now and every tee time I reserve through them I get all Tax and online fees waived... I think they have a valued member type thing, so keep using them and when you get to this status you start saving a bundle

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

In my experience, nothing wrong with golf now. Read the terms and conditions. Also, the more you use, those nuance fees reduce.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='ronstars' timestamp='1400757857' post='9345557']
I have been using them for over 2 years now and every tee time I reserve through them I get all Tax and online fees waived... I think they have a valued member type thing, so keep using them and when you get to this status you start saving a bundle
[/quote]

It all depends on the state you are in, Some states have tax already added in and some don't. In Michigan the taxes are added into the price of golf, but when I used golf now in Florida I was charged tax.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1400753803' post='9345393']
[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1400743741' post='9345231']
I hate what GolfNow has become and what their future holds but in the OP's case, there was ZERO "deception."

For hot deals, it is a pretty easily seen fact that you will be hit with tax and booking fees (fees are waived after 10 booked rounds but this is the final year of that exemption). The tax will depend on your state's sales tax rate. And the 100% final price total is shown BEFORE you complete the reservation so the OP could have easily not booked it at all if he was unhappy with the surcharges.

This is the OP not understanding GolfNow's standard operating procedure and in no way "deception."
[/quote]

The hot rates are also clearly marked as "prepaid" rates - if you hover over the flame icon it says "HOT DEAL prepaid rate". So I'm not sure how this can be called deceptive. They are telling you it is a prepaid rate - right up front. Then they are making you prepay vs paying at the course.

[b]As far as the taxes go and them deceiving or "hiding" it from you and then "zinging" you - I fail to see how this is different from any other store. If I go to an outlet store and buy a $50 item that is 50% off - I still pay the 6% sales tax at the cash register. I dont consider that deceiving in any way, shape or form - I dont think they are lying to me about the item being 50% off. Its called "business". The item itself was in fact still 50% off.[/b]

Honestly, and I've said this before, I wouldn't care if I paid more through Golfnow. Its called a "convenience" that I am more than happy to pay for. If I leave work early one day I can either call 15-20 area courses separately, looking up each phone number and spending 45 minutes making phone calls and writing down what their rates are - or I could pull out Golfnow and get a tee time in @ 60 seconds.
[/quote]

Eh...your analogy is flawed because [b]all items in the outlet store are priced pre-tax. [/b]Golfnow lists regular rate tee times [b]post-tax [/b]and "deal" rate tee times [b]pre-tax,[/b] so when they show you the % savings between the two, it's an inflated number. You call that "business". I call it "deceptive business".

Come on man. Golfnow posts two kinds of tee times. The "hot deals" and the rest. The rest of the deals you will pay your fee to GN and then you will pay at the course because that is the courses money. If you do this you will start to notice you are probably paying the exact rate you would be if you had just called the pro shop and booked your tee time thru them and cut out GN. Yes, golf courses generally have their taxes built into the price.

Golf Now is not a golf course. It's a online busuiness. So you book the hot deal. Yep its pre paid and you pay right there. Your bill is $300, you live in NJ so your tax is $21 and theres a $2-4 fee for each person that goes to GN till you book a certain amount of rounds with them. SO yes it can very easily get to be the $350 you are talking about. It's not a deceptive business plan, its life. Do you get mad at the guy at WAWA when he taxes your coffee in the morning?

Go order something off the "Dollar Menu" at Mcdonalds.... its not a dollar.... bastards.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400763825' post='9345985']
Eh...your analogy is flawed because [b]all items in the outlet store are priced pre-tax. [/b]Golfnow lists regular rate tee times [b]post-tax [/b]and "deal" rate tee times [b]pre-tax,[/b] so when they show you the % savings between the two, it's an inflated number. You call that "business". I call it "deceptive business".
[/quote]

But I bought something that was 50% off and when those jerks added the tax I really only got 47% off when all was said and done. Why wasnt that advertised? Are they screwing me? Is the whole Adidas outlet a "deceptive business"?

Deception would be if they charged your credit card and then told you about the taxes. Or made you pay and then told you about a particular fee. That's deception.

I went back to check a hot deal I just booked. It was listed at 32% off but with the sales tax I only got 27.5% off. Talk about first world problems, complaining about the degree of discounted golf we are getting...wow.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

If you don't live in the state of NJ, your tax burden is different. You can't blame Golfnow for not knowing what state you plan on paying from.... Try creating a new account with a state of residence not in a heavy tax zone and see if it is different? Even in the tax heavy republic of Illinois, I never pay a tax on Golfnow bookings.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1400762946' post='9345899']
I'm more annoyed with their e-mails. I can't tell you how many times now I'll get an e-mail showing all the upcoming deals. I immediately (within seconds) go to the website to look at these deals, and... They are all gone.

It's almost as if the e-mail deals are just fake to get you looking at the website.
[/quote]

You aren't the only one getting those emails...you obviously aren't the fastest either.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1400766245' post='9346211']
I'm more annoyed with their e-mails. I can't tell you how many times now I'll get an e-mail showing all the upcoming deals. I immediately (within seconds) go to the website to look at these deals, and... They are all gone.

It's almost as if the e-mail deals are just fake to get you looking at the website.
[/quote]

You aren't the only one getting those emails...you obviously aren't the fastest either.
[/quote]

I hear this a lot as well. I asked a guy at a local course about this and he said hey, if they send an email out to their tens of thousands of local subscribers telling them we have *one* hot rate foursome available, you better call within seconds or someone else is.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1400766664' post='9346253']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear this a lot as well. I asked a guy at a local course about this and he said hey, if they send an email out to their tens of thousands of local subscribers telling them we have *one* hot rate foursome available, you better call within seconds or someone else is.
[/quote]

That's definitely the case. The HotTimes are extremely limited - as they get a few from the course in return for doing all their bookings. In particular the really good ones, at the good times, go fast. I know someone who knows their schedule and keeps hitting refresh to grab the prime Saturday time at his course of choice - saves 40%....it's actually gone before the email gets out...but the emails lists all the times they had when the email was created - sometimes there is a few min delay between then and release. The email is NOT a view into their live production inventory - it's a picture at a given point in time.

That said, I'm playing a course I love Friday for 58% off...even after the $2.00 booking fee, it's a great deal.

I'd suggest not trying to call in....get it online or you will get scooped.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1400766104' post='9346195']
[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400763825' post='9345985']
[/quote]

But I bought something that was 50% off and when those jerks added the tax I really only got 47% off when all was said and done. Why wasnt that advertised? Are they screwing me? Is the whole Adidas outlet a "deceptive business"?

Deception would be if they charged your credit card and then told you about the taxes. Or made you pay and then told you about a particular fee. That's deception.

I went back to check a hot deal I just booked. It was listed at 32% off but with the sales tax I only got 27.5% off. Talk about first world problems, complaining about the degree of discounted golf we are getting...wow.
[/quote]

"Deception", according to Merriam Webster, is the act of making someone believe something that is not true. That is exactly what Golfnow did when they said "savings of 25%", knowing that clearly wasn't the case because of the post tax/pre-tax pricing issue.

If you don't get that, I can't help you.

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400767957' post='9346389']
"Deception", according to Merriam Webster, is the act of making someone believe something that is not true. That is exactly what Golfnow did when they said "savings of 25%". I believed it, and it wasn't true.

[/quote]

Well now you are back at my outlet store analogy.

You booked a $100 tee time that was $75. That is a savings of 25%. Did Golfnow say "Save 25% including all taxes and fees" or did it say "Your final cost is 25% less" - no, it didn't. $75 is in fact a savings of 25% off of the $100 price. The fact that you have to add taxes on to it is completely irrelevant as they made no claim otherwise.

I don't know what to tell. If you want to keep complaining about this, feel free.

Or even better, call the course and pay full price if it will make you feel better about it.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1400768512' post='9346447']
"Deception", according to Merriam Webster, is the act of making someone believe something that is not true. That is exactly what Golfnow did when they said "savings of 25%". I believed it, and it wasn't true.

[/quote]

[b]You booked a $100 tee time that was $75. [/b]That is a savings of 25%. Did Golfnow say "Save 25% including all taxes and fees" or did it say "Your final cost is 25% less" - no, it didn't. $75 is in fact a savings of 25% off of the $100 price. The fact that you have to add taxes on to it is completely irrelevant as they made no claim otherwise.

I don't know what to tell. If you want to keep complaining about this, feel free.

Or even better, call the course and pay full price if it will make you feel better about it.
[/quote]

No - I didn't book a tee time of $100 for $75. I booked a tee time of $75 for $75, advertised as "25% savings" off regular rate of $100. What I wasn't told is that the "regular rate" price of $100 was inclusive of sales tax, and the $75 rate was not. That effectively diminishes the quoted "25% savings" dramatically. To me, that's deceptive.

Anyhow, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1400767578' post='9346339']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's definitely the case. The HotTimes are extremely limited - as they get a few from the course in return for doing all their bookings. In particular the really good ones, at the good times, go fast. I know someone who knows their schedule and keeps hitting refresh to grab the prime Saturday time at his course of choice - saves 40%....it's actually gone before the email gets out...but the emails lists all the times they had when the email was created - sometimes there is a few min delay between then and release. The email is NOT a view into their live production inventory - it's a picture at a given point in time.

That said, I'm playing a course I love Friday for 58% off...even after the $2.00 booking fee, it's a great deal.

I'd suggest not trying to call in....get it online or you will get scooped.
[/quote]

My wife and I used this method on our honeymoon. a few weeks before we left for Hawaii, we took a look at golfnow and noticed each 12:15 tee time on Thursday at this specific course was 65% off, and you could only book a week in advance, so you better believe i logged on first thing in the morning a week before we left and snagged that tee time. even the concierge at our hotel was impressed we got the rate we did.

people are free to bash golfnow and not use it all they want, i'll continue to grab great deals on courses.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just got another email today showing the EXACT deal from an email yesterday. That deal is not on the website. I checked yesterday twice.

I consider that deceptive.

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400769477' post='9346587']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1400768512' post='9346447']

[/quote]

[b]You booked a $100 tee time that was $75. [/b]That is a savings of 25%. Did Golfnow say "Save 25% including all taxes and fees" or did it say "Your final cost is 25% less" - no, it didn't. $75 is in fact a savings of 25% off of the $100 price. The fact that you have to add taxes on to it is completely irrelevant as they made no claim otherwise.

[/quote]

No - I didn't book a tee time of $100 for $75. I booked a tee time of $75 for $75, advertised as "25% savings" off regular rate of $100. What I wasn't told is that the "regular rate" price of $100 was inclusive of sales tax, and the $75 rate was not. That effectively diminishes the quoted "25% savings" dramatically. To me, that's deceptive.

Anyhow, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
[/quote]

I bet you are just a joy to be around. Please leave the discounted times for us and go pay more at the course.

I've never heard people complain about getting a discounted price before? Whether its 7% or 50%. You are saving MORE than you paid at the course.

If that's deception (yes, you have to pay taxes when you buy a good or service online, ummm how is this new)...I don't even know.

Deception?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1400771913' post='9346915']
I've never heard people complain about getting a discounted price before? Whether its 7% or 50%. You are saving MORE than you paid at the course.

If that's deception (yes, you have to pay taxes when you buy a good or service online, ummm how is this new)...I don't even know.

Deception?
[/quote]It's almost like they're being forced to use GN.

Okay i agree with both sides here.

1. NO way in hell did they charge your Credit card before being told what the fees were so.....u can decide whether to book it or not. They dont just magically appear after you pay. Technically golfnow can charge whatever it wants since its a private company.

2. He stated when you pay the 300$ (75$ each it is 50$ for taxes and surcharge) and when you pay the regular rate of 400$ (100$ each it is only 9$ taxes and surcharge)
This is where most of you missed and tried to explain taxes.

If he was truly paying taxes on 300$ in NJ it would be 300+ 21$(7% in NJ) + 29$ surcharge)
When he tried to book at the regular price of 400$ --> The total should have been 400$ + $28 + and surcharges which could be around 29$= total should be around 460$--> not 409$ like it told him

This is where the problem lies....why is the tax and surcharges different?? I think this is his main issue

[quote name='pizan619' timestamp='1400772698' post='9346991']

1. NO way in hell did they charge your Credit card before being told what the fees were so.....u can decide whether to book it or not. They dont just magically appear after you pay. Technically golfnow can charge whatever it wants since its a private company.

2. He stated when you pay the 300$ (75$ each it is 50$ for taxes and surcharge) and when you pay the regular rate of 400$ (100$ each it is only 9$ taxes and surcharge)

If he was truly paying taxes on 300$ in NJ it would be 300+ 21$(7% in NJ) + 29$ surcharge)
When he tried to book at the regular price of 400$ --> The total should have been 400$ + $28 + and surcharges which could be around 29$= total should be around 460$--> not 409$ like it told him

This is where the problem lies....why is the tax and surcharges different?? I think this is his main issue
[/quote]

I believe its the tax that is the only thing that is different.

I'm sure they are out there but most courses will charge you a set price, say $60. Realistically you are paying $56.07 to the course and they are collected $3.93 in tax (just a guess no one jump on my math!). When you are booking a time on GN and not using the "hot deal" you are paying at the course and that is their money.

When you book the hot deal that is a purchase thru GN. It's their money. It's an online transaction, you have to pay the tax and their special rate that they are offering you.

Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Noyes26' timestamp='1400774856' post='9347267']

[/quote]

I believe its the tax that is the only thing that is different.

I'm sure they are out there but most courses will charge you a set price, say $60. Realistically you are paying $56.07 to the course and they are collected $3.93 in tax (just a guess no one jump on my math!). When you are booking a time on GN and not using the "hot deal" you are paying at the course and that is their money.

When you book the hot deal that is a purchase thru GN. It's their money. It's an online transaction, you have to pay the tax and their special rate that they are offering you.
[/quote]

There you go OP...that makes perfect sense.

but the calculations are still a little off-

409$ = 400 to course at time of play and 9$ surcharge to GN
300$+ 21$ + surcharge should be the same whether its a hotdeal or not (9$) so it should be 330$ instead of 350$. Not too far off so i understand both sides of the argument since its still less than 100$ each

Thanks for pointing that out Noyes. Makes much more sense.

[quote name='Noyes26' timestamp='1400774856' post='9347267']

[/quote]
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

[b]I believe its the tax that is the only thing that is different.[/b]

[b]I'm sure they are out there but most courses will charge you a set price, say $60. Realistically you are paying $56.07 to the course and they are collected $3.93 in tax (just a guess no one jump on my math!). When you are booking a time on GN and not using the "hot deal" you are paying at the course and that is their money.

When you book the hot deal that is a purchase thru GN. It's their money. It's an online transaction, you have to pay the tax and their special rate that they are offering you.[/b]
[/quote]

This explanation makes perfect sense.

However, most consumers aren't going to know these intricacies. I didn't know. Golfnow knows that, and manipulates it by disguising a "hot deal" savings, [b]stating a very specific % savings, when they know they are comparing the "hot deal" pre tax figure with the full rate post tax figure, thereby making the actual % savings lower than quoted. [/b]

I'm sure this pricing policy is listed in their "Terms and Conditions". probably buried in paragraph 4, page 19.

Why not just be straight up about it?

It's the old adage "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining".

Can't please everyone guys. Sales bring people to your business. The more you can actually say its a sale, the better its going to work. So yes before the fees and taxes, the advertised price was this 25% off...

Your never going to see a change on this. It was a few years ago that all airlines had to show the exact price when booking. It used to be after the bag fee, fuel fee, toilet fee, seat fee, carry on fee, tax, hi my name is Lee fee, your price is XXX. Now they show you the price and thats what it is.... except for if your checking bags!!

In Golfnow case this is your price and then theres their fee, unless you have booked enough to get rid of the fee. I know, its a mess. I've actually pretty much stopped using GN because of their price increase and its just not saving me enough money in the area to use.

Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's

I'm like 80% sure that everyone here is just trolling the OP. Like, his point is valid and not hard to understand. I think he would agree that paying less for golf is good. It's just that the discount is way less than advertised.

(By the way, I don't really think this is Golfnow's fault either, they don't know what state you're in and they have to quantify the discount somehow. But if you're in a high-tax state it kinda sucks.)

[quote name='billyhandsomeface' timestamp='1400721613' post='9343555']
The only problem I have is with the mobile app. When I click on a tee time it will all of the sudden say "no longer available" but on my computer I can select them. Golfnow is my country club!
[/quote]

Yup, that's the only time I run into the "no longer available" tee times. The mobile app is a POS

[quote name='domer' timestamp='1400784114' post='9348385']
[b]I'm like 80% sure that everyone here is just trolling the OP.[/b] Like, his point is valid and not hard to understand. I think he would agree that paying less for golf is good. It's just that the discount is way less than advertised.

(By the way, I don't really think this is Golfnow's fault either, they don't know what state you're in and they have to quantify the discount somehow. But if you're in a high-tax state it kinda sucks.)
[/quote]

You would then be 100% wrong as no one is "trolling" the OP. It's simple economics and EVERY business does it. The concept is not difficult to understand. GolfNow did not [i]deceive[/i] the OP in any way, shape or form yet he feels slighted likely because he had to take a bigger hit on his credit card for the sake of his buddies. If he lived in a state without sales tax, this thread wouldn't even exist.

The posted savings on GolfNow's site is in FACT the correct percentage off what you would pay at the course. The sales tax added on then goes to the state, not GolfNow. If you don't like it, change the tax law.

There's a "nicer" course in my area that doesn't include the sales tax in their posted rates. So when you get to the course, you're hit with a surcharge on the spot.