2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist's new 915D2 and 915D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403889373' post='9590963']
1) The Rapture line failed spectacularly for Ping, as did the 907D1 and 909DComp.

2) In order for Titleist to have a monopoly with the casual golfer, they would have to compete for mindshare. When the casual golfer sees commercials advertising 17 more yards, they say, "I may not get the full 17 yards, but I have to get at least 10." This type of brand positioning requires lots of resources, fast release cycles, and lower margins. This is why Callaway is struggling as a company compared to TaylorMade, which itself is struggling. And since someone will surely misinterpret it, this is NOT a judgement of the quality of their clubs.

3) Compression channel was certainly popularized by the Nike VR, but just because ARC looks similar doesn't mean it's the same thing. Furthermore, we don't know what Titleist has done with internal weighting. Unlike some other companies, Titleist generally doesn't flaunt their tech like a gaudy exhibitionist, which is why we're so crazy about ARC which is visible tech.
[/quote]
[quote name='Illest' timestamp='1403889726' post='9590997']
Anyone who has to say "not hating" is probably hating. Anyhow, I guess they'd be #1 in your mind if they came out every 6 months and said, "buy this new $400 driver! You'll get another 17 yards on top of the 51 yards you've added over the last 12 months!"
[/quote]

so

much

win

well done you two

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the looks of the 913 better, since I gamed both a d3 and d2 I am hoping the 915's perform better.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1403910852' post='9593249'][quote name='PThomas' timestamp='1403907615' post='9592967']
[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1403905679' post='9592793']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1403905172' post='9592739']
[quote name='PThomas' timestamp='1403902632' post='9592485']
Seriously will never understand all the haters and negativity on WRX. If you think Titleist equipment is garbage, you couldn't hit previous models, or think the 915 won't outperform your current gamer (SLDR is apparently the be all end all on here) you are definitely not their target consumer and they probably could care less if you bought it. Also, whoever does demo the 915 in a few months and is not overly impressed, please keep your comments to yourself because I am sure others, like myself, have much better things to do then read expert testimony on the pitfalls of Titleist equipment. It would be nice to not have to sift through 15 pages of negativity in order to read meaningful posts.
[/quote]

So you don't want a balanced view on equipment?

Personally, I like to read all comments made, both good and bad. Sure, I recognize that there are some brand loyalists on here that come on to 'trash' another manufacturer, but they are easy to weedle out, just as easy as it is to weedle out the 'over loyal' comments from people who are little 'over enthusiastic about a particular brand, but a balanced view of all personal experiences, both good and bad, should always be welcomed.
[/quote]Well said. Although I prefer Titleist drivers and trust their marketing I don't have blind loyalty to anyone, "look at my heinz 57 bag" I'd like to hear what others have to say. I like having the opportunity to filter the bs and make up my mind before plunging into the unknown and perhaps making a good purchase or not.
[/quote]

I think comparisons should discussed in threads such as SLDR vs 915 or something along those lines. I want to read about new updates and info on the 915 which is what the title of the post is.
[/quote]

But no-one has hit the SLDR v 915 yet! But when they do, you have to accept that some will prefer the 915 and slate the SLDR and some will prefer the SLDR and slate the 915. Nature of the beast I'm afraid, you can't 'cherry pick' other peoples opinions and experiences. And you can't be telling people not to post negative comments about the 915 in 4 months. It's gonna happen, just like it does with every new release. Best get used to it I'm afraid.[/quote]

I have hit the SLDR and all new releases and think they are garbage compared to my 913 (and 910, 909, 907, 983, and OG 975). You will never find me on another thread talking smack. Brand loyal? Absolutely! I understand others won't think the same as me but save it for your preferred choice of equipment which is my point.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

I'm using a 983K w/980 fairway, so am looking with interest at these new clubs. Almost jumped at the D3 913 with the current $100 price reduction, but I love the 983 so I can play the season with it and pick the new puppies up in the fall.

Ping i530 2d strong R Graphite

Titleist TSR1 12.5 D, 3w

Vokey 58-10, 60-8

Miura KM 007 & Scotty

In the storeroom:
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW R +1"

Miura K-grind 52°, 60°

Honma TW747 P 5-11 steel R, TW-W4 56/8

Scotty Phantom X 5.5, Newport 2.5, Futura 5MB, Tiffany, Ping PLD3, Cadence TR

[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403880382' post='9589993']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1403879587' post='9589887']
[quote name='skyleralan' timestamp='1403879062' post='9589823']
I just don't understand the Titleist love, they rebadge a Nike VR driver and everyone is in love. Their brand loyalty truly is amazing. Aside from their premium balls I have always thought their innovation is second class. Not hating, just can't believe how strong the brand loyalty is.
[/quote]

Your probably right, they are not out front on the cutting edge.

Flatter lie angles, tighter loft tolerances ( 8.5* is +/- half degree of actual loft, not 8.5* is a 10 like some OEM's) arguably the best off the rack shaft choices, adjustment system available is second to none, maybe they arent on the cutting edge, but all around performance for a player who needs not a 61* driver to cure a slice but a club that is going to perform consistently on a good swing go no further than Titleist.
[/quote]

Agreed on most points... Being cutting edge doesn't mean being best, it just means experimenting more. As I previously stated Apple hasn't been cutting edge the past 20 years either. Callaway has publicly acknowledged, on Golfwrx that they had 1.5* on top of their stated loft because consumers aren't as good as they think they are; a certain #1 on tour driver has a variance of +/-3* on drivers. I hope that sliding weight helps you hit that 13* driver lol.

Titleist has the brand loyalty because they produce a high quality product with no promises. They don't promise 10-17 more yards, or don't tell you it's the longest driver in the history of the world... On their site titleist claims: precision made, superior sound and feel, more speed over a larger area of the face from previous models. With a Titleist driver you get what you pay for and get the performance that you earn.
[/quote]
Add that Ttitleist is probably the only brand where the clubs you buy in the stores is as close to being those on the tour. This of course does not include Circle T FTUO SC putters.

Titleist TSR2, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

Titleist T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM10 Jet Black Wedges, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.08 SM, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

Honestly i think this love/hate brand loyalty is crazy. If you like titleist be it if you don't then who cares. Im currently a 13 HC and personally like titleist, do i think their products are much better than others for me no, would i possibly benefit from another driver, very possibly, but what i do like about titleist is that i don't get any BS with them. They don't promise me 17 yards with a driver every year, they don't promise me extra 10 yards with my irons every year. Last year with my driver swing i used to create too much loft at impact which made my driver spine rate absolutely ludicrous in the high 3000 range. Did i try an SLDR absolutely did it lower my spin yes, but instead of buying it i got lessons, now i dropped my spin to 2100 with my 913 and recently tried sldr on the same trackman on the same day as my 913 and was getting identical numbers except for off centre hits. SLDR went longer on off centre hits, but they were all over the map, with my 913 my spin was up but was always in play. So was the SLDR longer on average, yes a bit but my 913 was more accurate.
That being said, i really am looking forward to trying this. I don't need any lower spin on my good hits or even when hit on either toe or heel, but if i get less spin with this channel when hit on the centre of the face but low on the face then this could be a winner for me.
VRS did just that with their channel which i actually think is the best nike driver to date.

Agreed on most points... Being cutting edge doesn't mean being best, it just means experimenting more. As I previously stated Apple hasn't been cutting edge the past 20 years either. Callaway has publicly acknowledged, on Golfwrx that they had 1.5* on top of their stated loft because consumers aren't as good as they think they are;[b] a certain #1 on tour driver has a variance of +/-3* on drivers.[/b] I hope that sliding weight helps you hit that 13* driver lol.

Titleist has the brand loyalty because they produce a high quality product with no promises. They don't promise 10-17 more yards, or don't tell you it's the longest driver in the history of the world... On their site titleist claims: precision made, superior sound and feel, more speed over a larger area of the face from previous models. With a Titleist driver you get what you pay for and get the performance that you earn.
[/quote]

is this true?

holy s*** if so - that's ridiculous.

[quote name='illyc' timestamp='1403966849' post='9596397']
Agreed on most points... Being cutting edge doesn't mean being best, it just means experimenting more. As I previously stated Apple hasn't been cutting edge the past 20 years either. Callaway has publicly acknowledged, on Golfwrx that they had 1.5* on top of their stated loft because consumers aren't as good as they think they are;[b] a certain #1 on tour driver has a variance of +/-3* on drivers.[/b] I hope that sliding weight helps you hit that 13* driver lol.

[/quote]

is this true?

[/quote]

In the past yes, on the SLDR I am unsure, haven't checked. Obviously their Tour equip is spot on, but their retail stuff was awful. I haven't seen it but I was told this issue was even highlighted on undercover boss.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1403970134' post='9596671']
^^^^ yes it is true, even on their tour heads. They sticker them so they know what loft is, but I've personally see heads with a marked loft of 8.5* that have spec stickers noting their actual loft of over 11*. And this is on the SLDR heads
[/quote]

Earlier in this thread someone posted Titliest has much tighter tolorances of +/- 0.5* for their driver manufacturing. Is that an accurate statement? I don't recall ever hearing that before.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1403974543' post='9597027']
[quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1403970134' post='9596671']
^^^^ yes it is true, even on their tour heads. They sticker them so they know what loft is, but I've personally see heads with a marked loft of 8.5* that have spec stickers noting their actual loft of over 11*. And this is on the SLDR heads
[/quote]

Earlier in this thread someone posted Titliest has much tighter tolorances of +/- 0.5* for their driver manufacturing. Is that an accurate statement? I don't recall ever hearing that before.
[/quote]

My understanding is Titleist does focus more in effective loft than static loft, because effective is real world application. With Titleist you can be darn sure that your 9.5* is between 9-10*, other companies could be 7-12* without being an outlier. I cannot remember the exact thread but I remember very clearly discussing a new Ping/callaway driver where a member that is very highly respected said always buy the club you demo at your fitting, do not get fit and order those specs because the demo is what fit you and the club that arrives might be much different.

[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403967166' post='9596419']
[quote name='illyc' timestamp='1403966849' post='9596397']

[/quote]

is this true?

[/quote]

In the past yes, on the SLDR I am unsure, haven't checked. Obviously their Tour equip is spot on, but their retail stuff was awful. I haven't seen it but I was told this issue was even highlighted on undercover boss.
[/quote]That is 100% true, I am friends with a Wishon certified shop owner, he has worked on many TM SLDR's and his comment was they are made as cheap as it comes with alot of variation. He also told me the tour heads have hotmelt in them to improve the harsh feel.
If the 915 spins just a little less than the 913 and still has the high MOI with solid feel I'll be bagging one.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

I wonder if the 915 woods will also have the same channel and how that will affect the forgiveness. If it makes the 915 fd more forgiving than the 913fd than a 915 fd might be in my future

Titleist 910d3 blueboard 63s
Titleist 913f 15 S+ Stiff
20 deg Nike Sumo2 Diamana d+ 82
4-pw custom nike vr split cavity px 6.0
scotty cameron kombi
56 vokey sm2 60 nike vr forged raw

After just getting a vr pro limited 3 wood, I really hope the 915 has the channel on the fairway woods. That Nike is the best 3 wood I've ever tried.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='DickieThon' timestamp='1404008005' post='9599567']
The fact that Spieth switched is both encouraging and discouraging for me. On the +, if he switched it must be awesome. On the -, I had justified not ever trying the 913 in part by telling myself "well if tour pros are sticking with their 910's, why wouldn't I stick with mine?"
[/quote]

Spieth's lasted one round then went back to 910.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1404008915' post='9599685']
The fact that Spieth switched is both encouraging and discouraging for me. On the +, if he switched it must be awesome. On the -, I had justified not ever trying the 913 in part by telling myself "well if tour pros are sticking with their 910's, why wouldn't I stick with mine?"
[/quote]

[/quote]

That makes me feel better. At this point my 910 is a security blanket. All the low spin/loft up talk makes me try other clubs, but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything because I know what I've got with old reliable.

[/quote]

[/quote]
He went back because he hit 5 fairways with the 915.

He then proceeded to hit 6 fairways with the 910.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1404016599' post='9600241']
[/quote]

[/quote]
He went back because he hit 5 fairways with the 915.

He then proceeded to hit 6 fairways with the 910.
[/quote]

Isn't the real question where the 17 others missed ? Close to the fairway or way offline? I'll take 5 in the fairway with 5 more within a club length vs 6 and 2. Just a thought

You can't judge performance of the club based upon someone who is playing badly. He would surely have gone back to the 910 to try and boost confidence with something familiar when playing well below his best.

The fact that he had switched likely suggests that it is an improvement over his current but that his form can't take advantage of that.

[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think it would matter what driver he's using, the bottom line is he's just not swinging well right now, at least not like he has been.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1404031790' post='9600671']
[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think it would matter what driver he's using, the bottom line is he's just not swinging well right now, at least not like he has been.
[/quote]

Spieth is not a very accurate driver of the ball. He scores well because he is very good around the green, and on the green.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1404045878' post='9601049']
[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1404031790' post='9600671']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Spieth is not a very accurate driver of the ball. He scores well because he is very good around the green, and on the green.
[/quote]

He misses fairways with any driver... I was seeing a handful of 915 headcovers out there, does anyone know exactly how many switched and stayed thru the weekend with it? I know Webb was still swinging it yesterday

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Another thing to consider is just the amount of time and fitting that these guys have had with the 915. It could take some of them weeks to get dialed in and comfortable with the new driver and others will pick it up right away and find their ideal set up quickly and begin to game the driver almost immediately. There will even be some who won't mess with it much until the off season when they can go get fit in Carlsbad and practice without the pressure of tournament competition looming.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400