Denver Trip - Need Recommendations

italianstallion

Taking a trip to Denver in September and was looking for opinions on the best Denver area public courses to check out. I've never been to Denver so I don't know what to expect. I don't mind spending up to $150 (will be playing during the week), here's a list of what I'm looking for:

1) Good conditions

2) Good layout. Not a fan of funky circus holes

3) The more natural the surroundings the better

4) Mountain views and backdrops would be a huge plus

5) Willing to drive within an hour of the Denver metro area

Thanks for the help.

[sign here]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many days will you be able to play golf?

Some suggestions include:
The Ridge at Castle Pines North
Bear Dance (although it might be pushing the 1 hour limit)
Fossil Trace (although the course is a bit gimmicky)
Green Valley Ranch
Saddle Rock
Riverdale Dunes

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1403795275' post='9582801']
How many days will you be able to play golf?

Some suggestions include:
Bear Dance (although it might be pushing the 1 hour limit)
Fossil Trace (although the course is a bit gimmicky)
Green Valley Ranch
Saddle Rock
Riverdale Dunes
[/quote]

We're going to have two dedicated days to play.

[sign here]

I lived in Denver for 10 years and loved it out there. Played Suburban and Kennedy public courses quite a bit. Fox Hollow was one of my favorites.
If you are looking for short drives into the mountains, head to Morrison and stop at the Morrison Inn. Keep going up to Evergreen and play the Evergreen course. Not a bad track with some interesting holes. Also, you have to try Arrowhead however it might be in the $150 or higher range now,

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Bear Dance is a great course. IMO Arrowhead is to tricked up, just me. but in the area. It is a nice course though. The Ridge at Castle Pines is decent too.

A great course is Riverdale Dune. Links style, not long but need to be accurate. The WEB.com tour played there years back. Stewart Cink smoked the course over 4 days with like a 20+ under par.

Bear Dance and Riverdale though are on opposite ends of the area.

If you are around in early September some the mountain course are still open I think. If you schedule is okay to drive a bit you could look at that option.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a list of what I'm looking for:

1) Good conditions

1 - Can't predict conditions 3 months out, but the courses that I posted the photos above are usually in good shape. However, I know they've had some problems at Common Ground in the past year that i understand have been resolved

2 - Don't know what you mean by "Funky Circus holes". On man's funky circus is another man's quirk. I tend to like quirk. Fossil Trace and Arrowhead are polarizing courses. Fossil Trace has some old mining machinery and yellow iron around the course that doesn't come into play,

8159742999_0534fcc8cc_c.jpgFossil Trace #11 par 3 - rev

but you might not like. It also has a couple of holes where you have to play through or around some geological features. Her's an example. If this turns you off you won't like Fossil Trace:

8159776604_cb2c84845d_c.jpgFossil Trace #12 from tee zoom - rev

Arrowhead is not the best layout, but it does have the most amazing scenery, so you have to balance what's more important to you.

There isn't a good correlation between the best layouts and the best views among these courses. The courses on the west side of town have the best views since that's where the mountains are. The courses on the east and northeast of town tend to be very strong designs without the better views as those are the prairie style layouts that look and play more linksy. Riverdale Dunes, Murphy Creek, Buffalo Run and Green Valley Ranch are strong designs that don't have the eye candy unless prairie and housing are your cup of tea. The Dunes course at Riverdale is a Pete Dye design that Tom Doak worked on early in his career. It has lots of very good holes. Common Ground is a Doak. The strengths of Common Ground are the strategic fairway bunkers and the tough undulating Doak greens.

3- Natural surroundings - If you mean absence of housing, Green Valley Ranch probably has the most housing in sight. Buffalo Run also has some and Common Ground is in the least rural area. However, the surroundings don't affect the layout or the overall quality,but if the surroundings are more important than the courses, you might want to play elsewhere.

4 - Mountain views - The best views are Arrowhead, Bear Dance, the Ridge, Fossil Trace and the Links 9 at Fox Hollow. Fox hollow has three nines in is different from the others.

5 - All of these courses are within an hour of metro Denver

I would say that Bear Dance and Fox Hollow present a nice balance of decent layouts and views in natural settings. Take a look at the photo tours and see what appeals to you.

Sabram,

CommonGround had some pretty severe flooding from last year, and just reopened (in the last month I believe) the damaged holes. We played there about two weeks ago and it's really not a problem. The grass is a bit sparser than the rest of the course but it plays fine. Those holes are cart path only if someone is riding.

I thought Aarowhead was nice, it has a couple of holes that are really beautiful. Overall it is beautiful course, but for as far as you have to drive to get there, and the cost, it is probably not one I'll be in a hurry to get back to.

What I love about Fox Hollow Links #5: if you traditionally draw your drive, simply aim at Red Rocks and let it rip.

If you feel strongly about avoiding courses that are gimmicky, or "circus-y", I'd steer clear of Fossil Trace. That being said, I love playing there once in a while, it's definitely unique.

Arrowhead is about as scenic as it gets, but every time I play it I'm disappointed in the conditions and I remember just how little I actually like the layout itself.

In my opinion, the best public courses within an hour of Denver are:
Bear Dance
Riverdale (The Dunes Course, not the Knolls)
Murphy Creek

I find Saddle Rock is a much better (and much tougher) course than Murphy Creek. The only problem with SR is that the course is basically lined with homes.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1405011471' post='9674055']
I find Saddle Rock is a much better (and much tougher) course than Murphy Creek. The only problem with SR is that the course is basically lined with homes.
[/quote]

MC is longer and normally plays with some wind. I agree SR is lined with a lot of homes and not much common area honestly. I prefer MC over SR personally but I also live out in the area and practice there.

Played Buffalo Run today, was in excellent condition.

All the courses listed are good tracks and should be in good condition.

I can't remember Buffalo Run, but Saddle Rock's back 9 is definitely more difficult than the front.

I finally got to play CommonGround. Excellent course and definitely worth a visit. It's also very walkable, which is nice.

here's a list of what I'm looking for:

1) Good conditions

1 - Can't predict conditions 3 months out, but the courses that I posted the photos above are usually in good shape. However, I know they've had some problems at Common Ground in the past year that i understand have been resolved

2 - Don't know what you mean by "Funky Circus holes". On man's funky circus is another man's quirk. I tend to like quirk. Fossil Trace and Arrowhead are polarizing courses. Fossil Trace has some old mining machinery and yellow iron around the course that doesn't come into play,

8159742999_0534fcc8cc_c.jpgFossil Trace #11 par 3 - rev

but you might not like. It also has a couple of holes where you have to play through or around some geological features. Her's an example. If this turns you off you won't like Fossil Trace:

8159776604_cb2c84845d_c.jpgFossil Trace #12 from tee zoom - rev

Arrowhead is not the best layout, but it does have the most amazing scenery, so you have to balance what's more important to you.

There isn't a good correlation between the best layouts and the best views among these courses. The courses on the west side of town have the best views since that's where the mountains are. The courses on the east and northeast of town tend to be very strong designs without the better views as those are the prairie style layouts that look and play more linksy. Riverdale Dunes, Murphy Creek, Buffalo Run and Green Valley Ranch are strong designs that don't have the eye candy unless prairie and housing are your cup of tea. The Dunes course at Riverdale is a Pete Dye design that Tom Doak worked on early in his career. It has lots of very good holes. Common Ground is a Doak. The strengths of Common Ground are the strategic fairway bunkers and the tough undulating Doak greens.

3- Natural surroundings - If you mean absence of housing, Green Valley Ranch probably has the most housing in sight. Buffalo Run also has some and Common Ground is in the least rural area. However, the surroundings don't affect the layout or the overall quality,but if the surroundings are more important than the courses, you might want to play elsewhere.

4 - Mountain views - The best views are Arrowhead, Bear Dance, the Ridge, Fossil Trace and the Links 9 at Fox Hollow. Fox hollow has three nines in is different from the others.

5 - All of these courses are within an hour of metro Denver

I would say that Bear Dance and Fox Hollow present a nice balance of decent layouts and views in natural settings. Take a look at the photo tours and see what appeals to you.

#12 at Fossil that you included the picture for is easily the worst hole on that golf course.

The epitome of "tricked up" golf.

Overall, it is a fantastic golf course that hole not withstanding. ;)

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1406775482' post='9821789']
I can't remember Buffalo Run, but Saddle Rock's back 9 is definitely more difficult than the front.

I finally got to play CommonGround. Excellent course and definitely worth a visit. It's also very walkable, which is nice.
[/quote]

Thanks Pseudoswede, seems like when I finish at the auction I usually only have time for nine before heading home. So I'll to try to catch the back nine at both, especially Saddle Rock.

I typically don't walk much but we did at CommonGround, and you're right, it's very walkable. Did you take one of the caddies? We had a pretty good time with the kids.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1406896485' post='9831247']
I typically don't walk much but we did at CommonGround, and you're right, it's very walkable. Did you take one of the caddies? We had a pretty good time with the kids.
[/quote]

It would've been fun. I'm going to suggest to the golf league president to see if we can skip golf carts next year and use caddies (or apply/negotiate the cost of the golf cart towards the caddy's tip).

We were a foursome in carts, and the foursome ahead of us was walking with caddies. At one point early in the back 9, we couldn't see them. We only caught up with them again on 18.

• 3 weeks later...

With your number one priority being conditioning be a little careful with BearDance. I'd say it's one of my favorites, however I would pay attention to the conditions because it can easily get sloppy there and they are quite susceptible to bad weather messing with the conditions. Arrowhead is cool and is pretty fun. I would put the Ridge at Castle Pines as a more conservative version of Bear Dance and I really enjoy it as well. Can't go wrong with all three, just wanted to give you a heads up because I've gone down to Bear Dance and been extremely disappointed in the conditioning.

Side note: If you're just coming in to play golf, don't have to be in Denver, and want that mountain feel, I'd drive up to the actual mountains and would play Breckenridge golf course and Keystone River. This is what I do when I have guests that really want to see the ball go far and have the mountain feel.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5