2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kekoa's Journey has ended.

kekoa

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1406082588' post='9763687']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406081605' post='9763527']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1406070671' post='9761849']
Your picture looks like it has both the wingback at the bottom and the diamondback at the top. If so, that's awesome.
[/quote]

Close but def not wingbats. This set will combine a muscle and finish that hasnt been done before. I have a feeling the next pics i get to share will be the finished product.
[/quote]

From the very little that we can see in your pic, it almost reminds me of a Hogan Channelback. Of course, I could have the CB on the brain though since I recently acquired a set.
[/quote]

Lets see the CB's your are referring to.

On another note, my onyx are in. :superman:

[attachment=2338045:onyx.jpg]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a cold heartless b*stard......how could you hit something so pretty??

Those are freaking sick brother. As are the nickel sized wear spots in the center of the face.....gives me something to aspire to...

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I can't wait to see these. I've had my scratch combos (EZ/AR/SB/Wedges) for a little over 6 weeks and love them so much that I've already been dreaming up a set of flatback 681-style blades with a touch of offset for my next set. I'm hoping that placing the order will be a little Christmas present to mini.

If anyone has ever been on the fence about ordering from scratch, jump over the fence. Call Patrick. Through just conversation he was able to get me EXACTLY what I wanted to look at.

I've actually been using my tour striker lately and wondering if scratch could build me a "scratch striker" based on the next set I want to order.

Excellent quality, craftsmanship speaks for itself, I did not notice the communication issues that others used to post about (I'm guessing that's because they've cleaned that up - and good for them, because their product is top notch), incredible feel, great distance control, spin is perfect...yeah I can't say enough nice things about scratch. It will be hard for me to ever play another company's irons and wedges.

Anyway, enough of my rant...yeah I can't wait to see these.

[quote name='pegleg' timestamp='1406075188' post='9762535']
"[i]sharp crotch[/i]"?? That can't be good.

The first two sets of irons are absolutely beautiful.

It's a shame they have to wear out. If you play worse, you won't develop those wear patterns.
[/quote]

Haha I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that noticed that!

Kekoa those are some sharp looking sets of irons. I think I would be a 60 handicap if I tried to game them

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1406142692' post='9769065']
You're a cold heartless b*stard......how could you hit something so pretty??

Those are freaking sick brother. As are the nickel sized wear spots in the center of the face.....gives me something to aspire to...
[/quote]

Wear spots are more quarter size, but yes on and near the sweet spot. Just a lot of range work with sandy balls. Just wish i can take that striking to the course. :(

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1406142726' post='9769069']
I can't wait to see these. I've had my scratch combos (EZ/AR/SB/Wedges) for a little over 6 weeks and love them so much that I've already been dreaming up a set of flatback 681-style blades with a touch of offset for my next set. I'm hoping that placing the order will be a little Christmas present to mini.

If anyone has ever been on the fence about ordering from scratch, jump over the fence. Call Patrick. Through just conversation he was able to get me EXACTLY what I wanted to look at.

I've actually been using my tour striker lately and wondering if scratch could build me a "scratch striker" based on the next set I want to order.

Excellent quality, craftsmanship speaks for itself, I did not notice the communication issues that others used to post about (I'm guessing that's because they've cleaned that up - and good for them, because their product is top notch), incredible feel, great distance control, spin is perfect...yeah I can't say enough nice things about scratch. It will be hard for me to ever play another company's irons and wedges.

Anyway, enough of my rant...yeah I can't wait to see these.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments mini. You are correct. There aren't really many companies out there that are able to give you this sort of customization with irons, wedges, etc. I've looked at some JDM companies such as Buchi, but wasn't willing to take the dive. I've become very particular in what I want to look down at and how I want a club to feel. So far Don and McCoy have not dissapointed at all. It could be in my head, but their TD products can hang with the best USDM and JDM companies out there. I know this sounds like a paid service announcement, but it isn't.

As far as customer service issues go. I haven't had a problem. Sure the product takes time, but all my sets were within or just over the normal quoted time of 8 weeks.

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1406142816' post='9769081']
beautiful sticks! You are a sick man!
[/quote]

Same to you! :wave:

Great set of sticks you have there, I love how straight the leading edge looks on those irons. Very well done. I see a few others have beat me to the handicap question. I saw the clubs, saw what was 'posted', THEN saw the wear pattern and thought, "I think this guy is full of sh!t".

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1406144335' post='9769325']
Great set of sticks you have there, I love how straight the leading edge looks on those irons. Very well done. I see a few others have beat me to the handicap question. I saw the clubs, saw what was 'posted', THEN saw the wear pattern and thought, "I think this guy is full of sh!t".
[/quote]
Careful, I was given a warning for less than that!?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Kekoa,

Great write up. The sets you've put together over the years are impressive, well thought out with which seems to improve from set to set. You seem to figure out what you like, and what you want the next set to progress too. And those wear spots...definitely nice, 20 handicap....lol, I know when I see a a wolf in sheep clothing. Also nice staff bag. I almost bought that bag in black, but my wife told me to wait. She surprised me a few xmas's ago with next gen bag which was cool (although the pic I got of the new bag Ari has is pretty sick, a little loud for me but cool).

Looking at your sets make me want to play my TD set. It's EZ-1 4-6, AR-1 7-PW with no offset but bent 2* strong so it's a touch offset (46* pw). They were basically a retail set with zero offset, but I was lucky to get them with the smoked satin like the 1018's. The only reason I'm not playing them is because I haven't found a shaft I liked in them. They go to high that's robbing me of distance, and my distance is so short losing a half club or so of distance hurts me lol.

I'm really excited to see what you came up with this time around. Maybe it's me but it's seems Scratch's presence around here lately has been kind low. It's cool to see some new things from them.

Keep us updated!
Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406138920' post='9768617']
[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1406082588' post='9763687']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406081605' post='9763527']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1406070671' post='9761849']
Your picture looks like it has both the wingback at the bottom and the diamondback at the top. If so, that's awesome.
[/quote]

Close but def not wingbats. This set will combine a muscle and finish that hasnt been done before. I have a feeling the next pics i get to share will be the finished product.
[/quote]

From the very little that we can see in your pic, it almost reminds me of a Hogan Channelback. Of course, I could have the CB on the brain though since I recently acquired a set.
[/quote]

Lets see the CB's your are referring to.

On another note, my onyx are in. :superman:

[attachment=2338045:onyx.jpg]
[/quote]

Nothing special really, just a run of the mill set of Hogan Channelbacks. I'll get pics added to my WITB, eventually.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406143461' post='9769185']
Thanks for the comments mini. You are correct. There aren't really many companies out there that are able to give you this sort of customization with irons, wedges, etc. I've looked at some JDM companies such as Buchi, but wasn't willing to take the dive. I've become very particular in what I want to look down at and how I want a club to feel. So far Don and McCoy have not dissapointed at all. It could be in my head, but their TD products can hang with the best USDM and JDM companies out there. [b] I know this sounds like a paid service announcement, but it isn't.[/b]

[/quote]

I'm surprised how many people approach me on the range and ask me about my irons and wedges. I feel the same way, like I'm someone being paid to hawk it, but I'm not.

...though if Patrick and Ari want to make me an offer, I'm considering almost anything to make money at this time.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1406168348' post='9772411']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406143461' post='9769185']
Thanks for the comments mini. You are correct. There aren't really many companies out there that are able to give you this sort of customization with irons, wedges, etc. I've looked at some JDM companies such as Buchi, but wasn't willing to take the dive. I've become very particular in what I want to look down at and how I want a club to feel. So far Don and McCoy have not dissapointed at all. It could be in my head, but their TD products can hang with the best USDM and JDM companies out there. [b] I know this sounds like a paid service announcement, but it isn't.[/b]

[/quote]

I'm surprised how many people approach me on the range and ask me about my irons and wedges. I feel the same way, like I'm someone being paid to hawk it, but I'm not.

...though if Patrick and Ari want to make me an offer, I'm considering almost anything to make money at this time.
[/quote]

The funny thing is I have only had 2-3 people I can recall that actually heard of Scratch (outside the 1 buddy who's on here regularly) and that's from when I got my irons quite a few years ago. My irons are the second generation irons. They came after the first generation I know of with "s" on the muscle, "Scratch" on toe of cavity, and AR-1 stamped on heel of the cavity. My set was the first set with just the "S" on muscle of the AR/EZ. So I have had them for quite sometime. Their great clubs, but just to expensive for people outside of WRX. I'm from a small town of about 20,000. My club (non private) has about 60 members that's if. The average age has to be around 55-60 and they don't visit WRX. Their out there for for (which is a good), and generally play older clubs (again no big deal,it's their, their cash). Their no chance in hell any of them would drop $179 on a wedge, never mind thousands on a a set irons.

It's to bad because without WRX I would of never tried them. Even though the irons aren't in the bag, the wedges are unreal (I hope this Piet is not to "fanboyish".

Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1406161165' post='9771367']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Hopefully he knows I'm just messing around, I don't give a rip what anyone's handicap is, what they say it is, or what clubs they play based on it. If he's really a 20 and he wants to spend $3,000 on custom made MBs, go for it. I would choose a slightly different path, but such is the way we all roll.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1406227565' post='9777087']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Hopefully he knows I'm just messing around, I don't give a rip what anyone's handicap is, what they say it is, or what clubs they play based on it. If he's really a 20 and he wants to spend $3,000 on custom made MBs, go for it. I would choose a slightly different path, but such is the way we all roll.
[/quote]

You haven't read the thread then have you........it says what his real cap is

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1406239901' post='9778589']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have, I don't post in many threads which I haven't read in their entirety, or at least most of it. Well, might post, but wouldn't carry on a 'conversation' with only knowing 2% of the rest of what was going on.

I thought I saw it was around 4, but I was speaking hypothetically in the last post..."If he's really a 20..."

Regardless of cap or what he states his cap as, they're solid sticks.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1406240204' post='9778619']
[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1406239901' post='9778589']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have, I don't post in many threads which I haven't read in their entirety, or at least most of it. Well, might post, but wouldn't carry on a 'conversation' with only knowing 2% of the rest of what was going on.

I thought I saw it was around 4, but I was speaking hypothetically in the last post..."If he's really a 20..."

Regardless of cap or what he states his cap as, they're solid sticks.
[/quote]

4 was a rough recollection by someone but he's a single fig capper :)

Even if he was 20 thats some solid practicing anyway :D

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406240729' post='9778659']
Guys, I'm not a 20. I put that down in jest and had no idea some would hone in on that number. I can shoot 72 or 82 on any given day with moments of greatness or utter collapse in between.

On another note, I just finished mocking up some wedges so now the waiting begins on those as well.
[/quote]

You slut.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Careful when you play this guy...he likes taking money from high cappers like me...understandably so, he has to pay for those custom sets!

You think you'll get em before the summer deals in Palm Springs end? First round should be at PGA West...if not, Willowick!!! LOL

I'll see the new set in person...but it won't get further than that, just "see"!!! He probably won't even let me touch em...

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1406240729' post='9778659']
Guys, I'm not a 20. I put that down in jest and had no idea some would hone in on that number. I can shoot 72 or 82 on any given day with moments of greatness or utter collapse in between.

On another note, I just finished mocking up some wedges so now the waiting begins on those as well.
[/quote]

And you can shoot a 62 on the range!

Also... mocking up wedges? Is this coming from the same guy who kept telling me to "stop tinkering"?

Seriously though, after the Miura Guiken and Epon episodes, I hope this set works out for you.

What shafts, grips and iron covers are you going with?

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I thought you were saving up for a Bandon trip....

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

[quote name='kidcardio' timestamp='1406262252' post='9780759']
I thought you were saving up for a Bandon trip....
[/quote]

He doesn't need to save up for Bandon, he's loaded!

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[quote name='johnstitch' timestamp='1406315492' post='9785147']
Some of those irons are nothing but expensive re-hashes of old obsolete heads.
[/quote]

Don White used to work for Mac Gregor. As such, some of the iron designs he uses and that are made through the custom process are similar in appearance to the irons that were made previously.

Biggest difference being the level of personalization and customizability is unreal now with Scratch as opposed to MacGregor way back when.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
  • kekoa unlocked this topic