Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

prolly not near as long as I think I do. With age comes ambitious expectations that often times fall short of reality. I will still claim 220-240 at age 72, but if a laser should say otherwise....well....has to be a just a bad day NOT.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1415134719' post='10397131']
prolly not near as long as I think I do. With age comes ambitious expectations that often times fall short of reality. I will still claim 220-240 at age 72, but if a laser should say otherwise....well....has to be a just a bad day NOT.
[/quote]

I use a laser. I'm 73. 220-240 on a dry track is probably about right for a good swing. That's far enough on courses <6,500 yards. 7500? Not so much.

61. Took up golf at 57. Left hip replaced. Left shoulder duct taped on. 3 L vertebrae herniated over time and continually prone to hindrance. Decent athletic ability, played some college sports. Good eye to hand. Limited flexibility…s***, now I'm depressed.
Driver SS 90-94. Driver distance 205-220 total. 7i 135-140. No meds. Nothing leaking.

[quote name='CRider' timestamp='1415159677' post='10399063']
61. Took up golf at 57. Left hip replaced. Left shoulder duct taped on. 3 L vertebrae herniated over time and continually prone to hindrance. Decent athletic ability, played some college sports. Good eye to hand. Limited flexibility…s***, now I'm depressed.
Driver SS 90-94. Driver distance 205-220 total. 7i 135-140. No meds. Nothing leaking.
[/quote]

That's pretty good distance, 205-220 carry with a driver and a 135-140 7-iron will give you a game on any course under 6,500 yards. You're faster stiff than I am limber. Maybe I should replace some joints.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='sbboudreau' timestamp='1413361210' post='10290339']
I'm 53 and I hit my driver about 220-230, 5 iron about 170. But I don't think I've ever hit it much further than I do now.
[/quote]I've been working one everything lately and think I'm about 10 yards or more longer now than when I responded.
Oh, I'm 5'9" 185 lbs 34 waist used to be a 29, LOL. I can lie my hands flat on the floor with my feet together and legs totally straight.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1415160070' post='10399075']
[/quote]

That's pretty good distance, 205-220 carry with a driver and a 135-140 7-iron will give you a game on any course under 6,500 yards. You're faster stiff than I am limber. Maybe I should replace some joints.
[/quote]

I agree. Nothing wrong with that yardage at all. About the same as me, and I still take home my fair share of the $2.00 Nassau's! (cool)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

I can't speak for myself as i am not quite 30 yet, but one of my favourite playing partners is 54, and he still knocks it out there 270 with driver, and irons are around 160 for a 7 iron.. he is about a 4 index. My grandfather on the other hand is 73 and hit his driver around 200 yards. I don't even know how far he would hit his 7 iron.. i haven't seen him hit one for a very long time.. he won the senior canada games gold medal in golf this year though, so he's still got some game!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]913fd 13.5 w/ Rombax P95x[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]913fd 18 w/ Alpha80x[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Titleist 84 Square Toe Custom's w/ Rombax 115i X 3-PW[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ping Anser 53-58 w/PX6.0[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ping Anser w/ sound slot circa1970? 35" Red dot[/i][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

62 - similar personal stats, 'cept right shoulder replaced, not hip. My SS is lower than yours but I get the same distances. I take a few meds and have a few leaks as well. The Garmin GPS is an accurate, yet humbling device. I used to think I hit my drives 240......then came the Garmin I play with the 7 clubs listed in my sig. :taunt:

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 2 weeks later...

I am 62 and playing best golf of my life. Been playing since I was a boy. Never was as good as I wanted. Now I am much more pleased. Lessons and hard work finally paid off. Driver a little shorter than a few years ago. 200 makes me mad, 230 is ok, 250 yahoo. Average no wind decent swing is 220-230. 7 iron is shorter than I used to think I hit it (now, 140-145) but I used to think I hit it farther than I did.

But I am shooting in the 70's a lot now on fun courses to me. Goal for this year: even par. So age isn't a big bummer....yet.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

This thread is starting to scare me. Although I have responded a few times, I have noticed my distance getting shorter by a few weeks rather than a few months. Hopefully, it only means I am going through a rough period. I only started golfing again about a year and a half ago at age 71, I will be 73 in July. While it is true, that I started golfing some 35 years, ago, there were long periods of zero golf, lasting decades. My recent yardages are closer to 200 carry and not the 220 - 240 a couple of months ago. I guess one runs faster downhill, than climbing uphill. Index is 20.5 up from 18.7 something or other. I have been recovering from a cold, but I am not going to use that as an excuse. I probably practice too much in backyard hitting into a net, maybe backing off that or just concentrate on pitches and chips might help. Last year I did break 80, but I am considering that an anomaly.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Best lesson from the Tour Pros I ever learnt was that if something goes wrong, it's never my fault.
I'm 70 now and have no trouble with my distance.
I live by the Irish sea facing West and nearly always factor in a windspeed of 20mph.
Also I have noticed a big increase in relative humidity in recent years, in others words, the air is denser and this does affect the flight of a golf ball, particularly the American sized one. Stands to reason, doesn't it?
This increase I attribute to Global Warming. The planet warms up, more sea water evaporates and is carried by the West wind to the Lancashire coast, the air is therefore denser, and the the golf ball does not fly as far as it did 20 years ago....ipso fatso!
Of course, I recognise that this doesn't help those of you in denial about Global Warming, especially those in the snow belts north of the Mason Dixon. Can't help you with that one.

LOL Stixman. Many "reasons" for distance loss in that post. Irish sea winds, increase in humidity, global warming. All duly noted and recorded for future use.

Another odd distance loss factor I've noticed. Playing with a GPS device (don't own one, but others I play with do) causes my distances to be substantially less than when I don't have one around. Think it's RF wave interference with the golf ball.....or something like that.

Anyways, since discovering and playing classic clubs last fall, I no longer give a crap how far I hit the ball. Sometimes.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1421744826' post='10781963']
Best lesson from the Tour Pros I ever learnt was that if something goes wrong, it's never my fault.
I live by the Irish sea facing West and nearly always factor in a windspeed of 20mph.
Also I have noticed a big increase in relative humidity in recent years, in others words, the air is denser and this does affect the flight of a golf ball, particularly the American sized one. Stands to reason, doesn't it?
This increase I attribute to Global Warming. The planet warms up, more sea water evaporates and is carried by the West wind to the Lancashire coast, the air is therefore denser, and the the golf ball does not fly as far as it did 20 years ago....ipso fatso!
Of course, I recognise that this doesn't help those of you in denial about Global Warming, especially those in the snow belts north of the Mason Dixon. Can't help you with that one.
[/quote]

Humid air is actually less dense than dry air, until you get to the point of fog or precipitation. :)

The effect of humidity on ball flight is negligible, however. Temperature changes and elevation have far greater effect.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421763846' post='10782615']
[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1421744826' post='10781963']
[/quote]

Humid air is actually less dense than dry air, until you get to the point of fog or precipitation. :)

The effect of humidity on ball flight is negligible, however. Temperature changes and elevation have far greater effect.
[/quote]

Personal experience says otherwise. Hitting it through Morecambe Bay 'soup' knocks at least 10% off flight time and distance. Happen its different in the humidity of Florida etc. East side of the Pennines is different again, more continental air mass.

I think there is more to it than strictly humidity. I live in the Great Lakes basin and have always found that the ball flies best on the hottest and most humid days of the summer. However, my experience in the Dominican Republic (in the winter mind you) was quite a bit different. With low 80's temperatures and very high humidity -- spotty showers through out the round -- ball flight was typically one to two clubs less than is typical at home for similar temperatures and humidity. I remember thinking that my caddy was nuts when he handed me as much club as he did for the specific yardages, but his estimates were spot on. Darned glad I took his advice as it resulted in a very good round regardless of rust or a lack of familiarity.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I am 60 yo and have never hit it shorter, but have never scored better. In my 'hay day' I could probably go 250-300 depending on my contact, but these days I probably avg 200-220, and like I said, score better then ever. Maybe there's a moral to learn from this? "Straight is always better then long and crooked". Funny how I keep up with many golfers that hit it further then me. Penalty strokes are so destructive to a golfer's psyche.

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1421771414' post='10783395']
I think there is more to it than strictly humidity. I live in the Great Lakes basin and have always found that the ball flies best on the hottest and most humid days of the summer. However, my experience in the Dominican Republic (in the winter mind you) was quite a bit different. With low 80's temperatures and very high humidity -- spotty showers through out the round -- ball flight was typically one to two clubs less than is typical at home for similar temperatures and humidity. I remember thinking that my caddy was nuts when he handed me as much club as he did for the specific yardages, but his estimates were spot on. Darned glad I took his advice as it resulted in a very good round regardless of rust or a lack of familiarity.
[/quote]

Low 80s...in winter! LOL You are joking. Here in sunny Morecambe, if we get over 65F in summer a heatwave and national emergency is declared. Well, more or less

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1421738626' post='10781851']
This thread is starting to scare me. Although I have responded a few times, I have noticed my distance getting shorter by a few weeks rather than a few months. Hopefully, it only means I am going through a rough period. I only started golfing again about a year and a half ago at age 71, I will be 73 in July. While it is true, that I started golfing some 35 years, ago, there were long periods of zero golf, lasting decades. My recent yardages are closer to 200 carry and not the 220 - 240 a couple of months ago. I guess one runs faster downhill, than climbing uphill. Index is 20.5 up from 18.7 something or other. I have been recovering from a cold, but I am not going to use that as an excuse. I probably practice too much in backyard hitting into a net, maybe backing off that or just concentrate on pitches and chips might help. Last year I did break 80, but I am considering that an anomaly.
[/quote]

I got shorter for a while making swing changes. It was mainly from added tension that comes from making conscious effort. Once I got comfortable, got it all back. Sounds to me that something in your swing, not body, changed.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1421772404' post='10783541']

Low 80s...in winter! LOL You are joking. Here in sunny Morecambe, if we get over 65F in summer a heatwave and national emergency is declared. Well, more or less
[/quote]

No joke. The Dominican Republic is in the Carribean, so an 80F temperature in February/March isn't uncommon. It gets pretty darned hot in the summer though. If you'e inland it's not uncommon to get days in excess of 110 with high humidity to boot! Needless to say not much golf is played in the summer.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1421771973' post='10783463']
I am 60 yo and have never hit it shorter, but have never scored better. In my 'hay day' I could probably go 250-300 depending on my contact, but these days I probably avg 200-220, and like I said, score better then ever. Maybe there's a moral to learn from this? "Straight is always better then long and crooked". Funny how I keep up with many golfers that hit it further then me. Penalty strokes are so destructive to a golfer's psyche.
[/quote]

I agree whole heartedly! Distance, for the handicap golfer is the least important thing you need to score. Control is far more valuable.

I often think that TV golf is the worst possible influence on recreational players. Distance is praised in the pro game because of the length of professional tournament set-ups. Players almost always play aggressively and you only see the successful hero shots from trouble, not the ones that cost strokes unless it is equally spectacular in failure. These are the wrong sorts of messages to send to the handicap player. Instead, we should be preaching to keep the ball in play; miss in the right places; take your medicine when in trouble and get good at getting up and down. The average score would get materially better if the golf industry focused on these things, but that doesn't sell clubs (or should I say hope)! :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

One factor to throw in---elevation. I live around 3,590 feet elevation so the ball will go farther than where stixman lives. I am 56 at 5' 10" & 175lbs. No major surgries yet, just some work on the hands. Driver average carry is 260-270 with an occasional one close to 300. 7 iron is 170. I attribute it to being flexible, shifting my weight fairly well (still needs work), elevation, & then trying to keep my hands as far away from my body at all times. I agree with all of you about accuracy. Would trade 10 yards of distance for 10 yards of accuracy any day of the week.

[quote name='GLF4EVR' timestamp='1421782495' post='10784735']
One factor to throw in---elevation. I live around 3,590 feet elevation so the ball will go farther than where stixman lives. I am 56 at 5' 10" & 175lbs. No major surgries yet, just some work on the hands. Driver average carry is 260-270 with an occasional one close to 300. 7 iron is 170. I attribute it to being flexible, shifting my weight fairly well (still needs work), elevation, & then trying to keep my hands as far away from my body at all times. I agree with all of you about accuracy. Would trade 10 yards of distance for 10 yards of accuracy any day of the week.
[/quote]

Hey, look, I did my post as something to lighten up proceedings. We're all getting old...it's important but it's not SERIOUS..

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1421787531' post='10785437']
[quote name='GLF4EVR' timestamp='1421782495' post='10784735']
[/quote]

Hey, look, I did my post as something to lighten up proceedings. We're all getting old...it's important but it's not SERIOUS..
[/quote]

I sincerly apologize if I came across as serious in any way. Too much of a science background so I had to toss in the elevation. However it has been well over 30 years since I played a course at low elevation. I still today go with what I used to think in my teens; life is way too serious to take seriously.

[quote name='wmblake2000' timestamp='1421735704' post='10781783']
I am 62 and playing best golf of my life. Been playing since I was a boy. Never was as good as I wanted. Now I am much more pleased. Lessons and hard work finally paid off. Driver a little shorter than a few years ago. 200 makes me mad, 230 is ok, 250 yahoo. Average no wind decent swing is 220-230. 7 iron is shorter than I used to think I hit it (now, 140-145) but I used to think I hit it farther than I did.

But I am shooting in the 70's a lot now on fun courses to me. Goal for this year: even par. So age isn't a big bummer....yet.
[/quote]

Love your avatar! Bogey playing golf -- very cool.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

• 2 years later...

Wow! I guess I'm not far off everyone else. I found this because I'm not sure what I should be expecting. I'm 60 this year with a 5-7 index and I'm carrying the Driver ~230-250 at 3300ft elevation. I hit a 7i 150-155yd and have about an 83mph club head speed with 7i/6i.

My home course, Hesperia GCC is 7004yds from the tips and that is usually where I play from.

My driver is only getting to about 98 club head speed on a nice whip through and averaging around 90 mph. I bought a Zepp golf monitor and it's been very helpful in my increasing the club head speed.

I play with a gentleman who is 6 months my Junior and 300yd drives are a piece of cake for him. Unfortunately, I have spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis grade 2+ so I'm not always able to make a full turn.

I imagine that's most of our problems in getting enough rotation and then trying to get the legs into it.

Getting old sucks, but I'm not going to surrender. Anyone know of a good fabricator who does good walker work? ;)

keep htting 'em straight gents, and I hope one day I will get to the PGA tour because I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! LOL!!!

72 - I swing about 80% to protect my various arthritic joints. Play a soft ball for slow swing speeds. Don't carry a driver anymore; it hurts too much to hit it. Clubs these days have strong lofts, todays Callaway 7i is the loft of my old Titlest 6i.

3 wood (15 degrees) about 220 carry.

7 iron (30 degrees) about 150 carry

I wouldn't worry. Everyone is long on GolfWRX...even us seniors.

Here is a chart from a January 4th, 2017 article in Golf Digest: http://www.golfdiges...ll-surprise-you