2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

JP figures when his distance has atrophied he would use the newer jacked irons like jpx hot metals or whatever is current then.

Not so sure if that’d resolve wood distance issues....he kind of expects he’d become one of these oldsters who are deadly from 120...played with those sorts...

Yea, I've watched a few of the 'old guys' on the range at my club. Dropping balls in a 10' circle around the 150yd. stake. I won't be be playing any of those guys for money... ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

• 2 weeks later...

Last November I had a possible L-5 compression fracture which landed me in the ER. Unbelievably it has NOT been treated correctly yet. You have to love the wonderful government 'Golden Veterans Health Care System'. So at 71 my distance has taken a back seat to my physical condition. The MRI and x-rays say my back is basically worn out. Beware of walking and carrying your clubs too much. The bottom of my spine is swollen and rubbing on my sciatic nerve. This affects my left leg, knee area. I hope I can get this fixed soon.

Anyway I am still playing and my distance is about the same. A good drive is around 175-200 yds. Since I am not that long I usually hit every fairway. A long 3-wood and a chip and putt = par. If it's a 2 putt a bogie. One big change was ditching the G25 huge irons for AP1 716s with a senior graphite shafts. Great clubs! I can squeak a bit more distance with these vs the Pings. I'll take every inch I can get. lol After 58 years with my ups and downs I still love this game. :golfer:

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I just reached a par 4 with my driver yesterday........

Only, this was at the shortest golf links within driving distance. Hole was 224 yards with a large water pond stretched 190 yards from tee box in front of the green with bailout area to the left.

I'd reach that with my 3 wood a few years ago. Probably could get close with my one iron in my best of golfing days.

Illusion that I could still play golf like I used to.... LOL.

I might go back to that track sometime if I need to feel good, Under 5,000 yards from the tip, 5 par 3 and only one par 5. Rolling fairways and tree lined . With Green River adjacent to many of the holes.

The only thing that was not a good experience was, the wind brought over the funky smell of a near by meat scrap processing plant. They process meat scraps from the whole sale and retail stores, also was told including the road kill from the Inter State freeways. They told me this will influence 5-6 holes , especially in the prime Summer season.

I would reckon at least 80 + % of the Senior golfing community would be happy with using a 9 iron from that distance. What loft?

I've not put it on my loft/lie machine, but it's a Ping i E1 white dot with standard length Recoil graphite shaft. According to Ping it should be 41 degrees.

I am pushing up on 70yrs. My 9 iron with PX 6.0 like the rest of the set is 2* weaker in loft; it gets me 130-133yd carry. Lots of my senior friends wish. I am very fortunate for genetics under gym strength. That's not going to last forever. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I would reckon at least 80 + % of the Senior golfing community would be happy with using a 9 iron from that distance. What loft?

I've not put it on my loft/lie machine, but it's a Ping i E1 white dot with standard length Recoil graphite shaft. According to Ping it should be 41 degrees.

I am pushing up on 70yrs. My 9 iron with PX 6.0 like the rest of the set is 2* weaker in loft; it gets me 130-133yd carry. Lots of my senior friends wish. I am very fortunate for genetics under gym strength. That's not going to last forever. :beach:

Hey Pepper, I remember seeing your avatar back when I joined. Glad you're still around. :)

I was getting fitted for irons today, and spent a couple hours hitting over 80 balls or so. Apparently my swing arc is lengthing and/or I'm getting some muscle tone back since I started playing again (and made the original post).

Today I was averaging mid to high 80s swing speed with a 7 iron w/S300 shaft. I topped 90 a couple of times, but those were perfect swings, so I don't count those. But I'm a few years behind you (63). I hope to still be playing when I get old like you. :D

Towards the end of the session, the fitter handed me a G700 with some lightweight steel Japanese shaft in it. I don't recall the SS, but accounting for the elevation here I'd hit that darn thing almost 200 yards. I don't think my game needs THAT much help just yet.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

• 2 weeks later...

Just turned 74 last month and on my day, thought I'd treat myself to a show and tell on the range. Got a bucket of balls and the pro asked if I wanted him to check things out. After a couple of warm up balls he shows up and say, ok lets see what you got................Well I thought I totally smoked a driver and he says......."Ah! I see the problem, your standing too close to the ball...........after you hit it" Damn smart arse. All in good fun and he said everything looks fine, you're just going to have to accept the fact that your not as long as you used to be. After he left, it got me to thinking about new equipment and those jacked up lofts and even SL irons, which from reviews, seemingly offer added shot lengths. After playing yesterday, with some of the younger guys (I really shouldn't be playing against) it really smacked me in the face. Par 3, slightly down hill at 180 from the back-blue tees and 165 from the whites (which I played from) I hit a 5 iron slightly right pin high, felt good at that point. Up steps the first guy at 180, hits a towering shot that needed an air traffic controller to bring down, lands on the green about ten feet under the hole and blurts out "caught it a little thin". Asked him, "what did you hit", he says a wedge. I know those TM 790's are long, but 180 wedge?..........He was doing this all day. My drive and a 6 iron to the green against his drive and a flip wedge. Made for a looooong day.

So for any/all of you young at heart players, any one playing those jacked up lofted clubs or even better SL irons. If so, what have you gained and is/was it really worth the cost....

Just turned 74 last month and on my day, thought I'd treat myself to a show and tell on the range. Got a bucket of balls and the pro asked if I wanted him to check things out. After a couple of warm up balls he shows up and say, ok lets see what you got................Well I thought I totally smoked a driver and he says......."Ah! I see the problem, your standing too close to the ball...........after you hit it" Damn smart arse. All in good fun and he said everything looks fine, you're just going to have to accept the fact that your not as long as you used to be. After he left, it got me to thinking about new equipment and those jacked up lofts and even SL irons, which from reviews, seemingly offer added shot lengths. After playing yesterday, with some of the younger guys (I really shouldn't be playing against) it really smacked me in the face. Par 3, slightly down hill at 180 from the back-blue tees and 165 from the whites (which I played from) I hit a 5 iron slightly right pin high, felt good at that point. Up steps the first guy at 180, hits a towering shot that needed an air traffic controller to bring down, lands on the green about ten feet under the hole and blurts out "caught it a little thin". Asked him, "what did you hit", he says a wedge. I know those TM 790's are long, but 180 wedge?..........He was doing this all day. My drive and a 6 iron to the green against his drive and a flip wedge. Made for a looooong day.

So for any/all of you young at heart players, any one playing those jacked up lofted clubs or even better SL irons. If so, what have you gained and is/was it really worth the cost....

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but last week I played with my BIL (about my age, 55), my nephew, a 28 year old former Division III college baseball player, and his brother in law, about the same age, and a Jon Rahm look-alike in swing style and physique. None of the 4 of us were playing what you could call the "latest and greatest" equipment. We old guys played up a set of tees and it was crazy the distance the young guys got on their iron shots, 4 or 5 clubs difference on a couple of downwind par threes. They were in the woods and deep stuff all day though and couldn't control their ball flights in the strong winds. It was fun to watch and admire their power and swing speed, however, at the end of the day, we all shot within two shots of each other (and I had a bunch of 3 putt bogeys, sorry Steve ;)).

I actually found it pretty easy to play my own game that day as they were half my age and better athletes than I ever was- it's tougher for me when another old guy leaves me in the dust.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aeriotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

I'm a little younger (63) than you, but like you, I am loosing SS/distance every year. It's natural I guess, but I don't have to like it. ;)

I just recently bought a set of Ping IBlades and have to say that today's tech makes it much easier on us old(er) guys and our aging bodies. I've gained both distance and accuracy with a so-called blade iron that is surprisingly forgiving.

You might want to check out some of the new stuff Sir... :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

I was raised to respect my elders. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Disco, what it did for me was postpone having to learn new iron yardages. I've hit my irons the same distance for a lot of years. The latter half of last year I was noticing shots were short a lot more often, even on well hit balls. It was frustrating to have to stop and actually think about what club to pull instead of just grabbing what I've hit there for years. So,I grabbed demo set of JPX900 Forged from the shop and gave them a trial run.

Now I know I'm not hitting the "same" club, but on the course, when I have that 150 shot, I just grab the club I always have. It's just kept it simpler for me (which anyone who knows me will tell you is a very good thing!).

I figure eventually I'll have about an 18* nine iron!!

I'm going to try an interesting experiment. Just ordered from ebay, 2008 Wilson DI7 set of irons...........Why you ask?.........Glad you asked........What jumped out at me when I started to delve into specs, was that they are the same lofts as today's TM 790's and we all know how far those things go. They come with an updated version of the old fat shafts, but not as stiff. They call them uniflex shafts, so we'll see. If they can just get me back to what my normal distances were (150 =7 iron) I can live with that and will save at least $1000 bucks to boot. Mama says I can go cheap but forget any big bucks........... :happy:

Got the clubs in today and after dinner took out the 7 iron and went to the course. Just needed to verify a specific distance, so went to the 2nd a par 3, slightly down hill at 178 from the back tee. Pin up front, so around 172. Nice smooth swing, at least for me and carried to 5 feet right of the pin. My normal club from that distance was a hard 5 / cut 4. To be able to get back to distances I can deal with, plus some extra is like finding the fountain of youth. For any of you seniors looking for some extra help, The Wilson Di7 sure seems to do the trick and they are a whole lot cheaper than what's new today. As I stated in another post, the lofts are the same as the new TM 790's and at way less than $100, can't really go wrong. Looking forward to playing this weekend and catching the flat bellies off guard.

I am 53 and live in Colorado. I can still carry my driver around 280 yards, or so, with the occasional 300 yards. Keep in mind this is at 5,000 feet elevation or about 12%-15% more than sea level. That would mean I am somewhere around 250 yards carry with the driver. For 150 yards I hit a 9 iron. My driver swing speed as measured by my Beltronics Swingmate radar unit is 104-105 mph, topping out when I really jump on a drive around 110 mph. I play stiff shafts in all my clubs (either DG S300 or Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I am 53 and live in Colorado. I can still carry my driver around 280 yards, or so, with the occasional 300 yards. Keep in mind this is at 5,000 feet elevation or about 12%-15% more than sea level. That would mean I am somewhere around 250 yards carry with the driver. For 150 yards I hit a 9 iron. My driver swing speed as measured by my Beltronics Swingmate radar unit is 104-105 mph, topping out when I really jump on a drive around 110 mph. I play stiff shafts in all my clubs (either DG S300 or Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff).

Lived in Longmont, CO (5500' ?) for over 4 years before returning to AZ (job). Moving there from Tucson had me dropping one club for the same distance. My 150 club there was a PW. Kinda got used to it. :)

Now I'm at 5000' here in AZ and I'm almost a half club shorter.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

Lived in Longmont, CO (5500' ?) for over 4 years before returning to AZ (job). Moving there from Tucson had me dropping one club for the same distance. My 150 club there was a PW. Kinda got used to it. :)

Now I'm at 5000' here in AZ and I'm almost a half club shorter.

Small world. I lived in Longmont from 1993 through 2012. Send me a PM and let's compare notes. Who knows, maybe we played golf together at Ute Creek or Saddleback. Those were my two go-to courses back then.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Hey Pepper, I remember seeing your avatar back when I joined. Glad you're still around. :)

I was getting fitted for irons today, and spent a couple hours hitting over 80 balls or so. Apparently my swing arc is lengthing and/or I'm getting some muscle tone back since I started playing again (and made the original post).

Today I was averaging mid to high 80s swing speed with a 7 iron w/S300 shaft. I topped 90 a couple of times, but those were perfect swings, so I don't count those. But I'm a few years behind you (63). I hope to still be playing when I get old like you. :D

Towards the end of the session, the fitter handed me a G700 with some lightweight steel Japanese shaft in it. I don't recall the SS, but accounting for the elevation here I'd hit that darn thing almost 200 yards. I don't think my game needs THAT much help just yet.

Good iron SS. :clapping: 200yds, you be animal. :) I am glad to be above ground. Beating young bucks keeps me young. :lol:

After lengthy hemming and hawing about going for a lighter 90-100gram graphite shaft in my 2 iron, I decided to pull the trigger. Need to see what's what.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I hope to be playing at 74. Congrats. I enjoy giving strokes and taking money from younger guys that gloat over huge drivers and weanie irons into the green but miss the green and... :lol: I do it with 2* weaker irons and probably mid- in some cases long irons in. Keep at it... :beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 2 months later...

Just turned 74. Fairly flexible for my age, as I have practiced yoga off and on for 30 years. I play either the white “men’s” tees or the senior green tees, depending on the foursome that I am with - doesn’t affect my score. I score mostly in the mid 80s, sometimes in the 70s. If I move up to the super senior (“ladies”) tees I shoot my age. I’m quite a bit longer than the seniors I play with, except for another 74 year old guy who flys it by me. My putting is abysmal ... abysmal.

I went through a driver fitting two weeks ago. Using a Callaway Rogue, my MAX distance was 236. On the course I normally hit my driver around 220, but I usually hit the 3 wood - around 200 - which is easier on my body. Save the driver for the long par 4s.

7 iron (30 degrees) is sort of a range, as I’m generally not trying to hit it hard. Typically start considering a 6 at 155 yards if there is touble to carry.

About 4 years ago I made a big swing change because of the distance that I had lost. I was considering quitting, but on the recommendation of a pro I switched to an arms centered swing, instead of one where the body generated speed. The idea was to take advantage of my flexibility to generate speed with my arms. Was a rough transition, interrupted a couple of years by illness. But I clawed back a lot of yardage ... for now.

I played my second full round today.

On one hole I had 150yds to the center of the green, according to my touchscreen skycaddie. So I though I'd see just how far I can hit a 9 iron since now I'm a couple thousand feet lower than what I was in CO.

I will admit that I did stand on it, but not to the point where I lost my balance or anything. Landed just right of the flag, in the center of the green. I then hit another ball with a smoother, more relaxed swing and dropped it in the fringe just short of the green.

So I now know my 140-150 club is my 9 iron. This getting older stuff su...err...stinks. ;)

No big deal,same for me,just to confuse people I have the '9' upside down........ :golfer:

Just turned 74. Fairly flexible for my age, as I have practiced yoga off and on for 30 years. I play either the white “men’s” tees or the senior green tees, depending on the foursome that I am with - doesn’t affect my score. I score mostly in the mid 80s, sometimes in the 70s. If I move up to the super senior (“ladies”) tees I shoot my age. I’m quite a bit longer than the seniors I play with, except for another 74 year old guy who flys it by me. My putting is abysmal ... abysmal.

I went through a driver fitting two weeks ago. Using a Callaway Rogue, my MAX distance was 236. On the course I normally hit my driver around 220, but I usually hit the 3 wood - around 200 - which is easier on my body. Save the driver for the long par 4s.

7 iron (30 degrees) is sort of a range, as I’m generally not trying to hit it hard. Typically start considering a 6 at 155 yards if there is touble to carry.

About 4 years ago I made a big swing change because of the distance that I had lost. I was considering quitting, but on the recommendation of a pro I switched to an arms centered swing, instead of one where the body generated speed. The idea was to take advantage of my flexibility to generate speed with my arms. Was a rough transition, interrupted a couple of years by illness. But I clawed back a lot of yardage ... for now.

I have longish arms and long torso (6'3" and only 32" inseam on my jeans) and have always used more of an arm swing. Now that I've been to the range numerous times, and have played a handful of rounds I'm hitting my (iE1) PW as far as I was hitting my 9 iron a few months ago. It won't last of course, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I tried the rotate around your spine swing style, and my back couldn't take it. Back to my upright arm swing. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a visit to Dicks and the swing analyzer. Was curious to see what my SS's were for Dr and 7 iron. Set me up with a TM M2 - reg flex and SS averaged 89. Next the 7 iron, which was a PING 700 with also a reg shaft and that average was 70. Average distance with the driver was 210 carry and total best with roll out was 236. The 7 was 142 carry average and roll out to 152. Now with those numbers acquired, I started to look at new equipment on line, especially irons and the Wilson D300 got my attention. Looked at reviews and focused on those seniors that tested or purchased and played with them. Every senior hailed the distances they got back with these irons and some eluded to almost a 3 club difference. Hopefully, a WRXer has / is gaming them and can offer their insight.

• 1 month later...