No new acquistions...?

Looking for some guidance from the Hoganistas in the crowd:

Looking for little more forgiveness in the long irons with my '99 Apexs. Of the various models available around that vintage, what should I consider? That being the Apex Plus, Apex Edge Pro and Edge. Edge may be the easiest to find at a favorable price. Apex Plus being more appropriate for blending a set.

Would the head weights be the same on these models regardless of how they were shafted (i.e. ladies flex or graphite)? An acquisition would be for the head only as I would be reshafting.

Primarily looking for 3i and 4i. TIA.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella - I've had a set of Apex Edge Pros which I did not think were markedly easier to hit than redline blades. By most accounts, 99s are no harder to hit than 88s, so I would question whether you'd see a dramatic improvement in going to Edge Pros. Edges are probably the most forgiving, and I'd also look at GCDs.

If you don't mind going away from Hogans, then I'd also look at Maxfli Revolutions. Full cavity, very soft feel and very clean lines with almost no offset would (IMO) be a nice complement to the rest of your set - so long as you're aware that they'll take parallel tip shafts.

Lastly, if you haven't already, I'd say it's worth getting the specs on your current irons checked before buying anything new. I think a little more loft can transform the playability of a long iron more than a cavity back. Soft forgings could easily be sitting 2 or 3 degrees strong, and I'd be happy to bend those 99s a degree or 2 weak compared to factory spec. A 24* 3 iron and three or four degree gaps from there might be all you need to make those clubs much more playable. I transformed a set of PCs by doing something very similar.

A shot calling for anything more is then either a 2 iron or a vintage 5 wood.

I would say the Edge Pro is probably the best match in terms of the targetted "player".

I think you'll find that the lofts for all of these cavity back models will be stronger though.

Certainly the Edge Pro was 3I 20°, and 4I 23°, and the 99 Apex equivalents you are replacing would be 22° and 25.5°, so rather than head weight per se, I would think some bending to ensure the right loft gapping would be the salient point?

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Thx B-S and B-J for your responses. Your logic makes sense. I've been meaning to take the Apexs to my my bender to have them checked, just haven't got around to it. Since extending the shafts, I've been hitting them well, and STRAIGHT. Haven't felt the need to do a thing to them from 6i up. However, some loft/lie adjustments on the long irons may be the prescription. I really only try and hit the long irons during my fooling around rounds. When it's a meaningful one, play a 5W or 7W (depending on the shot and conditions) for those 180+ distances.

B-S, I am in possession of Maxfli A10 3i and 4I acquired in a recent acquisition. Visually very similar to the Revolutions near as I can tell. Just need to finish up tweaking them out to my spec. And I agree,they may blend in quite nicely with the Apexs, aesthetically speaking.

Here is some feedback on some of the clubs I recently share with you all from Dave Wood!

The Australian -
[size=3]This is really an incredible find. Don't recall this driver in particular, but I would have made it in exactly the same process as making Elkie's and in the same period. Fantastic Driver for your collection![/size]
[size=3]Dave[/size]

[size=3]The RWR Texan and Blonde - [/size]
[size=3][size=3]Both very interesting and unique hand crafted clubs. I would place their vintage to be 1987 to 1988 period from my workshop at 101 Main Street. Both inserts were custom router set-ups and fabrications.

The natural colored Driver, looks like something that Crenshaw may have liked. I can see from the photo of the sole area and the sculpting of the toe region of its skirting, where material had been removed from the turning to reduce its gram weight.[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3]Dave[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3]The Trevino Texan - [/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3][size=3]I had many-many visits with Lee over the years in my workshop, but I don't recall this Texan in particular. His preferences would be for a slightly flatter lie angle 53-54 degrees, square bore with open biased facing of the top-line. [/size][/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3][size=3]Dave[/size][/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3][size=3]The Blonde Texan with solid red insert - [/size][/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3][size=3][size=3]Having a Wood Bros UST regular flex graphite shaft in the Driver, would give it the correct build for our Japanese customers in the USA.

Most of these were sold through New York Golf and Washington Golf Centers in the DC area. Also, some were retailed through Frys in California and Piece Of Time in Hawaii. Our Japanese distributor (Nihon Hymo) provided shafts from Torray with branding exclusive for their high end market.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3][size=3][size=3]Dave[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3]CC :slow_en: [/size][/size]

Really nice set of Cleveland Classic persimmons. TC15 Driver, RC 75 3W and 4W. TTDG S300U shafts and GP Classic cords (in tip top shape). They've been refinished, but professionally done I believe. Condition is better than expected. They were not heavily bid therefore was able to pick them up for a very favorable price. Was considering putting them into the play mix, but now having seen them, not so sure.

[attachment=2892260:IMG_1047.JPG][attachment=2892264:IMG_1048.JPG][attachment=2892266:IMG_1050.jpg][attachment=2892268:IMG_1049.JPG]

:idhitit: Golf clubs were not made to be unused art objects. jmo

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438811531' post='12085334']
Really nice set of Cleveland Classic persimmons. TC15 Driver, RC 75 3W and 4W. TTDG S300U shafts and GP Classic cords (in tip top shape). They've been refinished, but professionally done I believe. Condition is better than expected. They were not heavily bid therefore was able to pick them up for a very favorable price. Was considering putting them into the play mix, but now having seen them, not so sure.

[attachment=2892260:IMG_1047.JPG][attachment=2892264:IMG_1048.JPG][attachment=2892266:IMG_1050.jpg][attachment=2892268:IMG_1049.JPG]
[/quote]

I love those Pear-shaped heads on the 3 & 4 woods! Reminds me of old Macs from the 50's...why wouldn't they...they're supposed to!!! Kudos to Roger Cleveland for making beautiful woods in the 80's.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Gorgeous set of woods!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Those classics are... classic.

You haven't paid much for them, so use them! I don't know anything about your golf, but it doesn't matter if you take a thing of such beauty and chuck an ugly golf swing at it. It doesn't matter if you stand in a field in the rain with your shirt off swinging them around your head like a viking bezerker, firing golf balls to the four winds. Whatever floats your respective boat, they just need to be used.

Jonny and TimV, 99% of the time I agree. Acquisitions are made with the intent of playing the clubs. At least once. Bid on these with the intent of doing just that. Yes, minimal investment, they were $26.10 delivered to the front door and a scornful look from the Mrs. when I got home after the wed. round of golf.

Just wasn't quite prepared to discover how nice they look in the flesh. They aren't particularly old, don't have a significant pedigree (i.e. WB), not a matched set, yada, yada. But....damn they look fine and I'm really am not interested in mucking them up. I have others that I can do that with.

Got a half finished display rack (idea stolen from C. C.'s WB displays) that I think these will be placed on. For this one time, for this set of woods (that I didn't really need to begin with) they're going on display. And "I can't do nothing about it.....and that's it" (paraphrasing).

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1438845939' post='12087920']
It doesn't matter if you stand in a field in the rain with your shirt off swinging them around your head like a viking bezerker, firing golf balls to the four winds. Whatever floats your respective boat, they just need to be used.
[/quote]

I nominate this for Post of the Year :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438852906' post='12088036']
Jonny and TimV, 99% of the time I agree. Acquisitions are made with the intent of playing the clubs. At least once. Bid on these with the intent of doing just that. Yes, minimal investment, they were $26.10 delivered to the front door and a scornful look from the Mrs. when I got home after the wed. round of golf.

Just wasn't quite prepared to discover how nice they look in the flesh. They aren't particularly old, don't have a significant pedigree (i.e. WB), not a matched set, yada, yada. But....damn they look fine and I'm really am not interested in mucking them up. I have others that I can do that with.

[/quote]

No. I get it. Vintage golf is a fickle mistress. Sometimes you do get a club that just kind of hits your resonant frequency and it sounds like these Clevelands have hit your sweetspot before you have had a chance to reciprocate.

Just picked up this Ping 85029 Anser tonight. Sure looks different from the one on the bottom (also a 85029 Anser). I think, maybe, it's a Dalehead. Looks like curved bumpers to my eye. Second opinion needed please.

[attachment=2893820:IMG_1051.jpg]

Edit note: Has 10 5/8" first step so I'm thinking the shaft isn't original. No shaft band.

That putter above was a "throw-in" to what I purchased yesterday evening. Local Craigslist ad (only three miles away) for Pings and Hogans. Had to go see what he had. Bought the Hogan's, left the Eye 2's (1-W, ZZ lite, red dot if anyone is interested). They were his late father's clubs, he wasn't a golfer. Apex II's 2-E in wonderful shape, minimal bag chatter and no browning. Just need grips and some detailing. Hogan Special SI, been looking for one to bend to 52* as a GW. Have a distance issue between E and SW with the Apex's. The Ping and a Reuter Bullseye. And a couple nondescript others.

Question for the Hoganistas. The shafts in these are Apex Pro 4. Silver and black shaft label. All I've ever seen are the regular, red labeled Apex. Can anyone offer info. on these shafts? They feel stiff as rebar when I took some whacks into the woods with some shag balls when I got home. TIA.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438940192' post='12094508']

Question for the Hoganistas. The shafts in these are Apex Pro 4. Silver and black shaft label. All I've ever seen are the regular, red labeled Apex. Can anyone offer info. on these shafts? They feel stiff as rebar when I took some whacks into the woods with some shag balls when I got home. TIA.
[/quote]

IIRC, the Apex Pro shaft is a thicker, heavier version of the standard Apex shaft. The standard Apex is about 10 grams lighter, and with a medium-soft tip. The Pro is, presumably, more like a DG S300 -- standard weight with a firm tip for more boring trajectory, the kind that pros/scratchers more often prefer.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Steve,
Good luck locating a set Steve. Years ago I had a 2 1/2 wood Jones Spalding that setup a bit flat as well. Not as old as these, but, I think a set of the 1 1/2, 2 1/2, and 3 1/2 in that model would be a solid combination to find and play.
I too am always on the lookout for flat woods. Mike Just at Louisville Golf said they can do a special order and flatten the lie a bit if you are interested.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438905347' post='12092646']
Just picked up this Ping 85029 Anser tonight. Sure looks different from the one on the bottom (also a 85029 Anser). I think, maybe, it's a Dalehead. Looks like curved bumpers to my eye. Second opinion needed please.

[attachment=2893820:IMG_1051.jpg]

Edit note: Has 10 5/8" first step so I'm thinking the shaft isn't original. No shaft band.
[/quote]

The top putter is really not a Dalehead, it is a Karsten CO Anser. This was the model immediately following the Scottsdale Anser. These are a little heavier than the Scottsdale Ansers and the Daleheads. These are a very coveted version of the Anser. Of course the values of the Anser have diminished quite a bit, this one represents an outstanding line. The condition looks to be in pretty decent shape. Add some lead tape on the sole for weighting and put this putter in play. These are tremendous putters!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Thx for your post RD. Informative on the lineage of this Ping. Was having some difficulty with finding the 10 1/2" shaft info anywhere. But when I added a better description (i.e. Karsten Company 029 Anser), a couple of them showed up. So maybe this is original shaft (no band). Still seem to be bringing decent money from the Ping collectors. Decision time. Keep it or move it. Got lots of putters (pings included) that I can't putt with. Or pad the Paypal slush fund for future acquisition purposes (beyond the Mrs. radar screen).