2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Cobra Fly Z and Fly Z+ Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

Anyone else yet? This is a really interesting Driver... Thought I was in love with the G30 LS until I hit the Cobra.. Compared several drivers and what brought me back to the cobra was my misses..

During testing I totally clanked the ball off the toe 3 times. Each time I said "oh, this is going to suck"... And then watched the ball come right to left and go 250. It was like hitting perimeter weighted irons. It's really bizarre to hit a ball you *know* is going short right and see it go long center...

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1427562019' post='11234763']Anyone else yet? This is a really interesting Driver... Thought I was in love with the G30 LS until I hit the Cobra.. Compared several drivers and what brought me back to the cobra was my misses..

During testing I totally clanked the ball off the toe 3 times. Each time I said "oh, this is going to suck"... And then watched the ball come right to left and go 250. It was like hitting perimeter weighted irons. It's really bizarre to hit a ball you *know* is going short right and see it go long center...[/quote]

Your post is exactly why I went with the Cobra vs the Ping. Ping actually gave me a couple longer drives but I was not as consistent with it and my bad swings produced bad results (obvious user error). I just a hard time controlling the club face too for some reason. With the Fly-Z+, my mishits were still carrying a very respectable distance and still in play:) Not difficult to control the face either. Not sure why this is but it gives me confidence to know that I can correct myself.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

[quote name='Makuakane_Bear' timestamp='1427564040' post='11234879']
[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1427562019' post='11234763']Anyone else yet? This is a really interesting Driver... Thought I was in love with the G30 LS until I hit the Cobra.. Compared several drivers and what brought me back to the cobra was my misses..

During testing I totally clanked the ball off the toe 3 times. Each time I said "oh, this is going to suck"... And then watched the ball come right to left and go 250. It was like hitting perimeter weighted irons. It's really bizarre to hit a ball you *know* is going short right and see it go long center...[/quote]

Your post is exactly why I went with the Cobra vs the Ping. Ping actually gave me a couple longer drives but I was not as consistent with it and my bad swings produced bad results (obvious user error). I just a hard time controlling the club face too for some reason. With the Fly-Z+, my mishits were still carrying a very respectable distance and still in play:) Not difficult to control the face either. Not sure why this is but it gives me confidence to know that I can correct myself.
[/quote]

I hit the Fly Z+ yesterday at PGA Superstore and was very impressed. I only hit the stock shaft and I was hitting bombs. Love the forgiveness factor. Waitng to see how it plays with the Rogue Silver before I pull the trigger...

Titleist TSi3 9*- Aldila Tour Green 75x
Titleist TSi2 3 Wood- Even Flow Black 6.5 85
Ping iCrossover 2 Iron- Ping Tour 85x
Srixon ZX7 4-PW- $ Taper X
Cleveland RTX4-  50*, 54*- DGTI s400

Edel 59*- DGTI s400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5- 35"
Titleist Pro V1 or Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Hit the Fly Z+ on a LM yesterday. At first, I loved the feel, but was not a fan of the stock shaft, which was too light and gave me a bad case of the lefts. So I borrowed someone's Aldila Tour Blue 85 X and it was absolute nails -- everything was long, relatively straight (slight draws), and between 14-16 degrees and 1800-2100 spin. (Funny enough, the Blue is not a shaft I normally like that much or that results in good numbers for me.) About the distance -- my SS is down, due to rehabbing from an injury, but even at ~105-107 SS, I was consistently approaching 300 yards. Only drivers I've hit that are in the ballpark in terms of distance, accuracy and feel are my current Tour Edge and the Titleist D3, but the latter is just a little bit more spinny than ideal for me (though it's obviously still a relatively low spin driver compared to "the field").

p.s. All comments above are based on weight in the forward position. When I tried it in the back position, it wasn't as long and spun too much for my taste. But, I could see how the position might work just fine for someone who is not normally a high spin player and/or has a SS below (very roughly speaking) 100-105.

[quote name='Coachpete07' timestamp='1427649664' post='11240057'][quote name='Makuakane_Bear' timestamp='1427564040' post='11234879']

[/quote]

I hit the Fly Z+ yesterday at PGA Superstore and was very impressed. I only hit the stock shaft and I was hitting bombs. Love the forgiveness factor. Waitng to see how it plays with the Rogue Silver before I pull the trigger...[/quote]

I got the stock X myself as it was the best that worked with me during my fitting. Unfortunately my fitter did not have the Chrome Elements or the Rogue Silver but my results were already optimal with the stock Matrix X. Would loved to try the other two either way. Would be very interested to hear your results when you try the Rogue:)

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Looks like the Fly Z and Fly Z+ put up a good showing in the distance portion a well known Spy test

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='Coachpete07' timestamp='1427432022' post='11225589']Awesome to hear! Let me know you what you think!

Happy Testing! :)[/quote]

Ok, I finally got a chance to hit my Fly Z+ with the Rogue Silver. After about five swings, I knew the stock Matrix wouldn't be making it to the course again. I left my Skytrak at home so I don't have launch numbers to compare yet. However, I noticed a more penetrating ball flight with the Rogue (which I was hoping for).

I didn't spend much time with the Tour Green but I'm bringing it with me to the course tomorrow.

[quotet name='rjholmes3' timestamp='1428119871' post='11280493']
[quote name='Coachpete07' timestamp='1427432022' post='11225589']Awesome to hear! Let me know you what you think!

Happy Testing! :)[/quote]

Ok, I finally got a chance to hit my Fly Z+ with the Rogue Silver. After about five swings, I knew the stock Matrix wouldn't be making it to the course again. I left my Skytrak at home so I don't have launch numbers to compare yet. However, I noticed a more penetrating ball flight with the Rogue (which I was hoping for).

I didn't spend much time with the Tour Green but I'm bringing it with me to the course tomorrow.
[/quote]

Let us know how the tour green does. I just blind bought a fly z+ with a tour green 65x today. Curious to hear someone else who has hit that combo. Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I just got a Fly-Z+ after a bunch of demo day and LM testing of various heads. I am a frequent demo day participant (our club has all the major OEMs scheduled every spring), and usually the "best" new OEM drivers can't match the performance of my long-time gamer. This year was different. Both the R15 and the Fly-Z+ produced noticeably better numbers. I ended up getting the Fly-Z+ and have been playing it of late. It is a GREAT performer. Whether I hit it well or hit it poorly, the ball is always farther down the fairway than I expect. Plus I have hit some real bombs (for me) with this thing. It is long and very forgiving. The sound on off center hits is terrible, but given the performance I am getting, I can overlook that shortcoming. The Fly-Z+ is a very welcome addition to my bag.

There you have it......Fly Z wins the Best Overall Driver and Fly Z+ takes 3rd place overall in the MGS annual shootout. Quite impressive indeed. Good job Cobra. Now if they would just get their Fly Z pro irons off backorder and into the market all would be good.

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1428206296' post='11286323']
I picked up a Fly Z for $166 brand new on Ebay with stock shaft. Took it out today and hit some bombs! Definitely as long in my hands as my G30 LS Tec. Only problem is that I have to really slow down my tempo and not go too hard or the shaft won't hold up. Not a bad thing to slow it down is it? Great stick!
[/quote]
Wow...thats a sweet deal. I was at the outdoor range/golf shop yesterday practicing and hit both these drivers again....my gamers are Bio Cell+ and a ZLE........but I really like the Fly Z but your exactly right the stock stiff seems easy to overpower.....quite unlike the Red Tie in the Bio Cell +...next time out I'll switch them out and then who knows a 3rd Cobra driver may be heading into the stable.

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1428232796' post='11286961']
[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1428206296' post='11286323']
I picked up a Fly Z for $166 brand new on Ebay with stock shaft. Took it out today and hit some bombs! Definitely as long in my hands as my G30 LS Tec. Only problem is that I have to really slow down my tempo and not go too hard or the shaft won't hold up. Not a bad thing to slow it down is it? Great stick!
[/quote]
Wow...thats a sweet deal. I was at the outdoor range/golf shop yesterday practicing and hit both these drivers again....my gamers are Bio Cell+ and a ZLE........but I really like the Fly Z but your exactly right the stock stiff seems easy to overpower.....quite unlike the Red Tie in the Bio Cell +...next time out I'll switch them out and then who knows a 3rd Cobra driver may be heading into the stable.
[/quote]

Yes I am putting an Elements Chrome in mine and believe the combo will be killer for me

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1428168291' post='11282885']
There you have it......Fly Z wins the Best Overall Driver and Fly Z+ takes 3rd place overall in the MGS annual shootout. Quite impressive indeed. Good job Cobra. Now if they would just get their Fly Z pro irons off backorder and into the market all would be good.
[/quote]

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the Fly Z Pro's last week, and I must say these things are legit! Got them with C-Tapers X and they feel amazing...you will love them!

Edel 59*- DGTI s400

[quote name='Coachpete07' timestamp='1428348569' post='11296163']
[/quote]

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the Fly Z Pro's last week, and I must say these things are legit! Got them with C-Tapers X and they feel amazing...you will love them!
[/quote]
Yep I got lucky yesterday and a 7 iron demo showed up in the FlyZ Pro out of the blue and I had an absolute blast testing it out....had an S300 which is tolerable for testing but not my go to shaft. I jotted down a few thoughts about it in the Fly Z Pro thread and my mind is still thinking about them. Right now I think I would like to put a set together in DG Pro X100

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1428348900' post='11296195']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yep I got lucky yesterday and a 7 iron demo showed up in the FlyZ Pro out of the blue and I had an absolute blast testing it out....had an S300 which is tolerable for testing but not my go to shaft. I jotted down a few thoughts about it in the Fly Z Pro thread and my mind is still thinking about them. Right now I think I would like to put a set together in DG Pro X100
[/quote]

I was thinking about the DG Pro shafts too! C-Tapers are good, but love the flighted shafts....how do the DG Pros feel?

Edel 59*- DGTI s400

[quote name='Coachpete07' timestamp='1428353064' post='11296863']
[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1428348900' post='11296195']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was thinking about the DG Pro shafts too! C-Tapers are good, but love the flighted shafts....how do the DG Pros feel?
[/quote]
Well as it was I demoing a set of the DG Pro X1 in a set of J15 CB.......simply loved them from the first strike.....C tapers never agreed with me so all I can say is they were smoother in the release thru the ball. Indeed I did like the help in traj the DGP provided in the long iron and the the controlled flight in the low irons. Prior to yesterday I was completely unaware of the DG Pro as I have been playing TT Balck Golds for quite awhile and liked them.

Hitting the 7 iron Fly Z Pro during the J15 CB session it was apparent that the S300 was just not as good a feel as the 7 iron in the J15........yeah different heads and S vs X but still you could tell it was a different shaft even though the weight between the two was close.

Its like wine for me...I know what I like and enjoy but am not real good at describing it like wine experts can. Shafts are like that. So I will figure out a way for another session with the DG Pro and see what I have.

Some love the C tapers and Project X....I'm not that guy if that helps. The only Project X I like in irons is PXi but its a little bit on the light side for my feel channel if you know what I mean. I was going to consider testing a 6.0 and 6.5 PXi in the Fly Z Pro before I finalize what to do...but my gut right now is liking the DG Pro

Kenny Giannini G6

[/quote]

[/quote]

They look great and I'm sure they feel great also. Only negative I've seen if many of the shafts aren't free upgrades like Callaway and Mizuno do. So if you swap out for c taper or project x be ready to add some money to the cost.

I agree & Cobra does not make it so easy either to demo different shafts in the irons. Maybe they do in some markets. The shops I go in are not much interested in talking about Cobra irons. Top of the bag gets lots of attention.

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1428356612' post='11297347']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They look great and I'm sure they feel great also. Only negative I've seen if many of the shafts aren't free upgrades like Callaway and Mizuno do. So if you swap out for c taper or project x be ready to add some money to the cost.
[/quote]

True but upgrade charges are not outrageous and the cost of the irons to begin with are relatively reasonable -$899 for Fly Z Pro or Fly Z+. Compared to something like the TM RSI TP which are a couple of hundred more with stock shafts and an upgrade charge to boot.

Hey Lobber....you think maybe your set can come in early? Seems like a few custom orders are filtering in here and there.

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1428357330' post='11297451'][quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1428356612' post='11297347']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

True but upgrade charges are not outrageous and the cost of the irons to begin with are relatively reasonable -$899 for Fly Z Pro or Fly Z+. Compared to something like the TM RSI TP which are a couple of hundred more with stock shafts and an upgrade charge to boot.[/quote]

So true. $899 vs $1099 or higher is a big difference.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Ordered a Green Left Handed Z-Fly+ at Golfsmith. I have an Orange that I love, but want to go to the course without Ricky Fowler being a topic. Besides it's Masters week. Also Will Peoples order came in so I have the 110 MSI Rogue Black 60TX. Should be a bomber.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

I would have to agree that they are worth the wait! These bad boys are money!

Edel 59*- DGTI s400

I got a Fly Z with an old Matrix HD6 that's a great result !
I can't see anything knocking this out in the near future .
Would love to try this head with a Rogue Silver 60 S flex .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1428718067' post='11331603']
How do the Fly Z irons stack up against irons like the AP2, i25, or even XR Pro?

The Cobras are on my radar, as I need something forgiving but still with good feel.
[/quote]

... Having played two series of AP2s, the Fly Z+ irons have very similar performance. Personally I like the look at address of the Cobra's more than the AP2s and thnk they have a better feel. But these are personal preferences. I am still playing Amp Forged and the Fly Z+ are virtually identical with a better looking cavity (for those that seem to care, which I do not) but I do prefer the satin finish. IMO, these are the best all around performing players irons, especially considering how forgiving the longer irons are.

... Back on topic I picked up a Fly Z Black driver and installed a Rogue Silver 60 in it at 44" but haven't had a chance to hit it on the course yet. Fly Z+ is too too hard feeling and I don't care for the sound either. Spin was a hair lower in the Fly Z vs the + in the weight back position. Been playing the SLDR since the day it came out so I am very interested to see if I can get the same shallow angle of descent with the Fly Z. Fwiw, I have a G30LS with a 14gm weight still in plastic. Hitting it side by side with the Fly Z, the LS was spinning about 700rpms more than the Fly Z and 2800-3000 isn't gonna work for a 100mph swing speed.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour