2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Which Persimmon Drivers Did Greg Norman Use? And Irons?

Golfers have named Greg Norman as the best persimmon driver ever, but I'm curious as to which persimmon drivers he used. I remember reading in a Golf magazine late in the last millenium that Greg, answering in a questionnaire interview, stated that (at the time he was with King Cobra) in his career he used two Spaldings and two King Cobras. The two King Cobras I already know, but the Spaldings I don't. I suppose that the Spaldings were his two persimmon drivers, as I highly doubt he would have used any of their horrid metalwoods at the time. Does anyone have a clue as to which Spalding persimmon drivers he used?

Also, if anyone can add, I would like to know what he used for the rest of his bag during his prime (80's to early 90's)? I paused one of his videotapes and looked closely at one of his iron backs when the camera zoomed in on the clubhead and identified the irons as a Synchrodyne model. Does anyone know specifically which irons he used along with his persimmon woods?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you google Greg Norman Persimmon and Greg Norman witb there are lots of different articles, most were posted in WRX about his clubs played.
Freddiec has a great post from Dave Wood with specs
With Cobra he played Mac 985 irons stamped with Cobra, while with Spalding people saw him playing with Muirfields in his Spalding bag

I watched Greg Norman play in his first tour event in the UK. It was at Royal Aberdeen GC, sometime around 1976 I think. Everybody hit Persimmon. Norman hit it differently; miles dead straight with a slow climb and a vertical drop and stop. Quite astonishing. I have vague memories of him using Macgregor's.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Teevons-

+1 on Greg Normans clubs-

A "Greg Norman" signature iron was featured on the 1996 Sports Illustrated cover titled "Agony at Augusta"....when he lost the Masters to Sir Nick Faldo after having a big lead after the 3rd round.
Am pretty sure these irons were ground by Don White, then with MacGregor, who was called "The King of Clubs" in a Sports Illustrated article. Don White also ground the MacGregor "Diamond Grind" irons Norman used at the 2008 British Open.....

There was also the earlier tale of how Greg Norman and Morris Hatalsky were playing a practice round together-
Both were playing MacGregor persimmon drivers- Norman was hitting this particular one too high, and Hatalsky was hitting his model too low, so they switched....

You' might be able to get Freddie or Dave Wood to confirm....

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1417451541' post='10525321']
I always thought that Greg Norman had a MacGregor M43 for the early part of is career ?
[/quote]

Bingo

[url="http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=1875&start=30"]http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=1875&start=30[/url]

Enjoy the read Emperor Penguin (does that make you Happy Feet?)

[quote name='Aussie_steeler' timestamp='1417513994' post='10529679']

Bingo

[url="http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=1875&start=30"]http://www.advancedb...t=1875&start=30[/url]

Enjoy the read Emperor Penguin (does that make you Happy Feet?)
[/quote]

Really enjoyed reading that Darron - cheers for the link!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Enjoyable and informative reads, thanks for sharing.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1417532881' post='10530497']
The Emperor is definitely pleased with the link to his 1986 driver and thanks Aussie_steeler for the link and freddiec for its content.

Now about Greg's sick reverse musclebacks (the ones he lost the 1996 Masters with--ha!). They are copies of which model MagGregors?
[/quote]

I'm no MacGregor expert, but of the irons I know, I'll go with these:

[attachment=2520265:image.jpg]

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Greg was in Dave Woods shop while Dave was trying sell Greg on a WB driver. An old MacGregor block caught Greg's eye a 50s M43. Greg really liked the block and Dave customized it to Greg's specs, removing most or all the face progression. Norman used it during his prime right before he switched to Cobra. Greg won the Open using it.. Dave once told me this story and sent me a PDF pic of the driver during the build process I will have to dig it up. The steel shaft Dave installed was super stiff tipped too...

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1417701828' post='10541531']
[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1417698643' post='10541315']
Found my post and info from Dave Wood

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/419233-insight-into-greg-normans-persimmon-driver-specs/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...n-driver-specs/[/url]
[/quote]

Awesome read Freddie, thank you!
[/quote]

+1

Freddie, I have read that post by you before, but enjoyable again.

Norman's head speed must have been incredible.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='ehardman' timestamp='1417460623' post='10525849']
I watched Greg Norman play in his first tour event in the UK. It was at Royal Aberdeen GC, sometime around 1976 I think. Everybody hit Persimmon. Norman hit it differently; miles dead straight with a slow climb and a vertical drop and stop. Quite astonishing. I have vague memories of him using Macgregor's.
[/quote]

I followed him around for a couple tournaments in Asia in the early 1990s and would echo that description of his ball flight. The only other players I've seen with similar ball flight are Davis Love III and Jason Day.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Something I found interesting from the 2010 thread freddie linked for us....

It was mentioned Norman played X3 or X4, tipped an extra 2". Someone commented about how stiff that was.

Why that rings the bell for me is, I currently have a driver with DGX300, tipped an extra 2". While it's stiff, it's not THAT stiff.

The "why" for that is something of note, that I've found many don't know, though I expect a fair number of folks in these folders do. In 1996, the tip trimming instructions were changed for Dynamic and Dynamic Gold shafts, and this trimming change had the effect of softening the shaft somewhat.

Point being, DGX these days isn't all THAT stiff as a wood shaft these days, but it was surely stiffer in the time Dave Wood was working on Greg Norman's driver than it is now.

A short story made long... LOL

added note: may also be why 1975 (randomly picked by way of example) Dynamic shafts may feel so stiff to people. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1417708643' post='10542105']
Here's Norman. 121 mph with a 43.5" steel shafted persimmon is no joke!

[media=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TT9Q_6R7xQ[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that. Loved his swing and watching him play way back when.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1417723469' post='10543503']
Greg Norman used a MacGregor driver ten degree loft, true temper X 400 ,D-1 swing weight, 43 inches long. Toney Penna 3 wood, 14 1/2 degree, D-2, X400
Spalding Tour Edition (1-pw) dynamic gold X100, D2 sw. In 1986

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Mr. Penna, you never cease to amaze me. Thank you!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1417723469' post='10543503']
Greg Norman used a MacGregor driver ten degree loft, true temper X 400 ,D-1 swing weight, 43 inches long. Toney Penna 3 wood, 14 1/2 degree, D-2, X400
Spalding Tour Edition (1-pw) dynamic gold X100, D2 sw. In 1986

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]Ah the days when a pro carried a one iron 240 and stuck it on a green. They didn't need no stinking hybrids!

Then came titanium and the ProV. :(

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1417712418' post='10542409']

It was mentioned Norman played X3 or X4, tipped an extra 2". Someone commented about how stiff that was.

Why that rings the bell for me is, I currently have a driver with DGX300, tipped an extra 2". While it's stiff, it's not THAT stiff.

The "why" for that is something of note, that I've found many don't know, though I expect a fair number of folks in these folders do. In 1996, the tip trimming instructions were changed for Dynamic and Dynamic Gold shafts, and this trimming change had the effect of softening the shaft somewhat.

Point being, DGX these days isn't all THAT stiff as a wood shaft these days...[/quote]

Not to go off topic, but what about Andy Bean? I read somewhere that he played X500's and had them tipped. How would those shafts compare to today's shafts?

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1417752346' post='10546241'][quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1417712418' post='10542409']

Point being, DGX these days isn't all THAT stiff as a wood shaft these days...[/quote]

Not to go off topic, but what about Andy Bean? I read somewhere that he played X500's and had them tipped. How would those shafts compare to today's shafts?[/quote] Didn't he also bite the cover off a ball once?

[quote name='EmperorPenguin' timestamp='1417752346' post='10546241']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1417712418' post='10542409']

Not to go off topic, but what about Andy Bean? I read somewhere that he played X500's and had them tipped. How would those shafts compare to today's shafts?
[/quote]

Hard to extrapolate exactly, and it requires accepting the theoretical.

The difference between each subflex in DG is only 2-3 grams; they're purely weight sorted and nothing else. The theory on the flexes is that each subflex, by having those couple extra grams of weight distributed throughout the shaft walls, are therefore marginally stiffer.

The theoretical difference between X100 and X500 would be 8cpm or so (this from reports of finding a 2 to 3 cpm difference between DGS200, DGS300, and DGS400). Emphasis on "theoretical."

Every inch you tip DG wood shafts is about 5-6 cpm, based on 3 wood tipping for the heavier clubhead. (per Hireko/Dynacraft DSFI, at 43", 1.71g will increase swingweight 1 point; frequency is in direct proportion to swingweight, on a 1:1 ratio)

(edited to add) Then there is the half flex or so greater stiffness of the older shafts, compared to the new.

Can give you an idea. <shrug>

have made a few edits to flesh out some of the above points, here and there :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1417496676' post='10529309']
Teevons-

+1 on Greg Normans clubs-

A "Greg Norman" signature iron was featured on the 1996 Sports Illustrated cover titled "Agony at Augusta"....when he lost the Masters to Sir Nick Faldo after having a big lead after the 3rd round.
Am pretty sure these irons were ground by Don White, then with MacGregor, who was called "The King of Clubs" in a Sports Illustrated article. Don White also ground the MacGregor "Diamond Grind" irons Norman used at the 2008 British Open.....

There was also the earlier tale of how Greg Norman and Morris Hatalsky were playing a practice round together-
Both were playing MacGregor persimmon drivers- Norman was hitting this particular one too high, and Hatalsky was hitting his model too low, so they switched....

You' might be able to get Freddie or Dave Wood to confirm....
[/quote]

Yes, the irons Norman used during 1996 (and at The Masters) was a set of "Cobra" stamped MacGregors ground by Don White. I had a chance to buy a set of these irons back aroud 1997 or 1998 but passed as the chap wanted around $1,000 for mint heads only. What a stupid I was as I passed on them. These were not Cobra irons, these were MacGregor irons with the Cobra stamping. I am fortunate to own a complete set of 1950s M43T woods (1-4) and a remarkable M43T driver that is a real beauty (thanks Fred!). I love the M43T driver as it is one of my very favorite clubs ...... period!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on