2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Srixon forging vs. Miura - Deciding on the next set!!

kkrenzke

Winter in Michigan and now is the time to review the next iron selection for purchase with profit sharing. Looking at the Srixon 745 irons vs. the Miura CB 57. I would love to know any and all input from this distinguised body of golf ho's about the Srixon forging process vs the Miura process, the difference between these two as far as technology and what you would like to chime in on.

Thanks for the input

KsK

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Srixon I heard used a unique forging process. Something to the effect of stgamping there clubs 6 times and that was supposed to enhance the softeness and feel. Most will tell you, Miura and Endo forged clubs are considered the best forgings. Epon is considered the best of Endo and many oems use endo for some/all of there forgings. Oems such as fourteen, Yamaha, PRGR are some that come to mind. I'd lean towards Endo forgings/Miura and they also maintain better re sale value as well.

Assuming you like both sets, I'd get the Srixon's. Not even close because of the cost. Miura's are nifty and all, but drastically overpriced for what they are.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

As a guy who has a set of Epons and a set of Miura's, I would go with whatever you hit the best. Miuras are a player's club, not overly forgiving. You need to be a good ball striker to make the most of Miuras. I don't know much about the Srixons, other than they make a good iron. I find the different forging processes fascinating, but overall, I am not convinced it has a major impact on where the ball ends up.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 13.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I haven't hit the srixons but have heard great things from those that have them and who's opinion I trust (perhaps more beer better golf will chime in). The sole grind on the srixons is supposed to be amazing. The srixons are forged by endo (s20) and are getting rave reviews for feeling great and being forgiving. The miuras are miuras...beautiful, not particularly forgiving, dense feeling and feel great when pured but ouch if your just off the sweet spot...

My advice? Get the srixons and the best shaft for you...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1419734961' post='10649361']
[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1419636506' post='10644695']
Man, these two clubs aren't even remotely the same...
[/quote]

Really? You can't see how somebody interested in one might also be interested in the other?
[/quote]

Just from the stand point of head size alone, no not really.

CB-501's or PP-9003's maybe but not the 57's... it's kind of apples and oranges at that point for me.

[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1419738796' post='10649671']
[/quote]

Really? You can't see how somebody interested in one might also be interested in the other?
[/quote]

CB-501's or PP-9003's maybe but not the 57's... it's kind of apples and oranges at that point for me.
[/quote]

I think you know your Miuras better than I do. Looks like a forged players iron to me, but I don't have a good frame of reference. Is the 57 much larger?

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1419738997' post='10649689']
[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1419738796' post='10649671']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you know your Miuras better than I do. Looks like a forged players iron to me, but I don't have a good frame of reference. Is the 57 much larger?
[/quote]

I think you are spot on the 57's are smaller than average forged players iron but the 745's if anything are perhaps a tad bit larger than average more akin to Mizuno MP-64's. I mean I guess I could see someone being attracted to both but they don't seem much the same. Could just be me though :) In the end everyone's boat floats differently!

I feel like I've spent the last 2 months testing more different sets of irons than actually playing golf. The last 6 weeks I've only been out 3 times, and pretty much every other day I've done a little traveling through Orange county to shops to test the JDM equipment. From Miura, Epon, Fourteen, XXOO, Geotech, Honma, ONOFF, Srixon, And Yururi. Still can't locate a set of Baldo's, Masdas, or Vegas. But from all that I've hit/tested, I was completely set back by Srixon's 545 and 745 series. Easiest to launch and those jacked lofts make a guy feel like a superhero. Very pleasant. Firm believer in that sole grind. For the price they're exceptional. That being said, like mentioned above, I find it hard to go from Miura to Srixon. Miura makes nice stuff, soft, but I can't see the softness difference between Fourteen, XXOO, ONOFF and Miura. Srixon's were the easiest to pick clean consistently and that's what's most important to my game. Wouldn't matter if they were 10-15 yards shorter. Pured them more. Much nicer than my MP54'a with Recoils. Found my next set. Just wished I could have gotten my hands on the 945's. Would make a fantastic combo set if you're into that kind of thing.

Good luck, winter is almost half over up there. I know, I grew up in Wyoming. 3.5 months of golf sucks.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

The 57's are nearly identical to s55 and mp 64. Not sure where the talk about them being smaller than a typical players cb came from.

The 501 is the least forgiving cb on the market imo. And the 57 fits nicely in between the 501 and 9003. The 501 is nearly a blade with a tad bit longer heel to toe.

Played all the current Miura lineup with the exception of the BB's. And the 57's and MB001's are the "Grail" imo.

@therealping

Miura wins hands down for me. Exceptional quality. Resale seems to creep in a lot here. When you pay the price for Miura your not really willing to take a bath on em. In addition, whe you do feel like takin that bath, the last hits will change your mind quickly. Miura when you have em, are something you keep coming back to

I'd go with the Srixon's - unless you personally have a "need" to own Miura - I know this is my personal soap box type topic, but I don't think resale value should be something you really take into account when buying a set of irons....why would you spend anytime thinking about how much your going to get out of a set of irons, when you should be trying to get the set which fits you best...Golf clubs are not investments -

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1419780287' post='10650769']
The 57's are nearly identical to s55 and mp 64. Not sure where the talk about them being smaller than a typical players cb came from.

The 501 is the least forgiving cb on the market imo. And the 57 fits nicely in between the 501 and 9003. The 501 is nearly a blade with a tad bit longer heel to toe.

Played all the current Miura lineup with the exception of the BB's. And the 57's and MB001's are the "Grail" imo.
[/quote]

You may not like the size of the BBs, but I have hit enough irons to confidently call them "grail" status.

Miura gets a lot of love and hate on here. Just an observation, not really many neutral opinions. I was hitting my bb, macgregor vfoil, and vega pws out back the other day. I definitely leave a lot of room for personal preference, and feel is very subjective, but those are 3 really nice sets of blades, and the Miuras just standout. I think a lot of golf stuff is overpriced. I feel that my BBs are one of the few purchases where the product justifies the luxury tax. Just my .02

[size=4][color="#000000"]I’ve had many a set of irons over the years my last few sets have been Mizuno and others include Titleist and TM. I’m lucky enough to have one of the best club fitters in Scotland just up the road from me. He can’t get enough sets of Srixons to satisfy the unexpected demand and they are selling over Mizuno’s. Praise indeed. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]To the point, I’ve often been tempted to go Miura and I’ve hit Vaga’s a few times as well. Both are special but value for money versus quality, looks, feel and for me, the biggest selling point regarding the Srixons. That being, the possibility of making up your own mix n match set of Z irons from the 545, 745 and 945. My set is made up of 745 from the 4 to 8 iron then 945 in the 9 and PW. I’m now considering ordering the 7 and 8 iron in the 945, the blades are so good. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]I think the forging in the 945s are better than Mizuno for sure and the feel and feedback is way better. What I also like is the extra distance I get coupled with the Nippon 980 shafts. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Incidentally, I had no intention of buying the Srixons, I was considering a new set of Mizuno’s. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Nudger' timestamp='1419980490' post='10662243']
[size=4][color=#000000]I’ve had many a set of irons over the years my last few sets have been Mizuno and others include Titleist and TM. I’m lucky enough to have one of the best club fitters in Scotland just up the road from me. He can’t get enough sets of Srixons to satisfy the unexpected demand and they are selling over Mizuno’s. Praise indeed. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]To the point, I’ve often been tempted to go Miura and I’ve hit Vaga’s a few times as well. Both are special but value for money versus quality, looks, feel and for me, the biggest selling point regarding the Srixons. That being, the possibility of making up your own mix n match set of Z irons from the 545, 745 and 945. My set is made up of 745 from the 4 to 8 iron then 945 in the 9 and PW. I’m now considering ordering the 7 and 8 iron in the 945, the blades are so good. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]I think the forging in the 945s are better than Mizuno for sure and the feel and feedback is way better. What I also like is the extra distance I get coupled with the Nippon 980 shafts. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Incidentally, I had no intention of buying the Srixons, I was considering a new set of Mizuno’s. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

Great input and very informative. What Hdcp do you play to? I am a 7 Hdcp and also toyed withthe idea of the Z945 in the PW and the 9 iron but when I see PGS touring pros go with a full set of z745 I tend to think I will be ordering the z745 for the whole set. What advantages / reasons are you thinkinga bout adding more Z945"s ?

[quote name='kkrenzke' timestamp='1420053364' post='10666449']
[size=4][color=#000000]I’ve had many a set of irons over the years my last few sets have been Mizuno and others include Titleist and TM. I’m lucky enough to have one of the best club fitters in Scotland just up the road from me. He can’t get enough sets of Srixons to satisfy the unexpected demand and they are selling over Mizuno’s. Praise indeed. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]To the point, I’ve often been tempted to go Miura and I’ve hit Vaga’s a few times as well. Both are special but value for money versus quality, looks, feel and for me, the biggest selling point regarding the Srixons. That being, the possibility of making up your own mix n match set of Z irons from the 545, 745 and 945. My set is made up of 745 from the 4 to 8 iron then 945 in the 9 and PW. I’m now considering ordering the 7 and 8 iron in the 945, the blades are so good. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]I think the forging in the 945s are better than Mizuno for sure and the feel and feedback is way better. What I also like is the extra distance I get coupled with the Nippon 980 shafts. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Incidentally, I had no intention of buying the Srixons, I was considering a new set of Mizuno’s. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

Great input and very informative. What Hdcp do you play to? I am a 7 Hdcp and also toyed withthe idea of the Z945 in the PW and the 9 iron but when I see PGS touring pros go with a full set of z745 I tend to think I will be ordering the z745 for the whole set. What advantages / reasons are you thinkinga bout adding more Z945"s ?
[/quote]

Good question, I used Mizuno's before and I don't have any issues using blades even though I'm getting on a bit at 62. I play off 5 hc so no real issues hitting blades especially on the shorter sticks. I'm a member at two golf clubs, Dunbar GC 1856, It's pure links and has been a final Q course for the open when at Muirfield or St Andrews. I'm also a member a Royal Musselburgh, one of the oldest golf clubs in the world and we play every year for the Old Club Cup, the oldest still played for trophy in the world dating back to 1774. I play around 5 times per week in summer and I think around 35 to 40 competitions each season.

I remembered there being a nice comparison post on how the 57's look size wise etc. compared to a number of other irons but it took me a bit to dig it up... I still feel that it bears out my feeling that the 57's are very similar in size the ping s55's and hence a tad bit smaller than the Mizuno's CB styles (not the blades) or the new Srixon irons for that matter.. but anyway here it is so you can judge for yourself.

[url="http://nyway%20here%20it%20is%20so%20you%20can%20judge%20for%20yourself%20but"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/[/url]

[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1420072303' post='10667985']
I remembered there being a nice comparison post on how the 57's look size wise etc. compared to a number of other irons but it took me a bit to dig it up... I still feel that it bears out my feeling that the 57's are very similar in size the ping s55's and hence a tad bit smaller than the Mizuno's CB styles (not the blades) or the new Srixon irons for that matter.. but anyway here it is so you can judge for yourself.

[url="http://nyway%20here%20it%20is%20so%20you%20can%20judge%20for%20yourself%20but"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/[/url]
[/quote]believe you are referring to this link

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/

The cb 57 is slightly minimal larger than the miz mp 64 and mp 15

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1420079706' post='10668387']
[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1420072303' post='10667985']

[url="http://nyway%20here%20it%20is%20so%20you%20can%20judge%20for%20yourself%20but"]http://www.golfwrx.c...parison-photos/[/url]
[/quote]believe you are referring to this link

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1074253-miura-1957-cavity-back-iron-in-hand-and-comparison-photos/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...parison-photos/[/url]

The cb 57 is slightly minimal larger than the miz mp 64 and mp 15
[/quote]

Yep, that is the link ..thanks for getting the right one. Maybe it's apples and oranges? When you say larger are you referring to sole width and length from heel to toe? I could see saying they are slightly larger if so, but from sole to top line my memory still has them as a bit smaller.

[quote name='Nudger' timestamp='1420063750' post='10667363']
[quote name='kkrenzke' timestamp='1420053364' post='10666449']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good question, I used Mizuno's before and I don't have any issues using blades even though I'm getting on a bit at 62. I play off 5 hc so no real issues hitting blades especially on the shorter sticks. I'm a member at two golf clubs, Dunbar GC 1856, It's pure links and has been a final Q course for the open when at Muirfield or St Andrews. I'm also a member a Royal Musselburgh, one of the oldest golf clubs in the world and we play every year for the Old Club Cup, the oldest still played for trophy in the world dating back to 1774. I play around 5 times per week in summer and I think around 35 to 40 competitions each season.
[/quote]Neat history, thanks for the input!

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][color="#000000"]I’ve had many a set of irons over the years my last few sets have been Mizuno and others include Titleist and TM. I’m lucky enough to have one of the best club fitters in Scotland just up the road from me. He can’t get enough sets of Srixons to satisfy the unexpected demand and they are selling over Mizuno’s. Praise indeed. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]To the point, I’ve often been tempted to go Miura and I’ve hit Vaga’s a few times as well. Both are special but value for money versus quality, looks, feel and for me, the biggest selling point regarding the Srixons. That being, the possibility of making up your own mix n match set of Z irons from the 545, 745 and 945. My set is made up of 745 from the 4 to 8 iron then 945 in the 9 and PW. I’m now considering ordering the 7 and 8 iron in the 945, the blades are so good. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]I think the forging in the 945s are better than Mizuno for sure and the feel and feedback is way better. What I also like is the extra distance I get coupled with the Nippon 980 shafts. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Incidentally, I had no intention of buying the Srixons, I was considering a new set of Mizuno’s. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

It's my understanding that the 945s will not be available in NA, irons or driver unfortunately.

[quote name='easylittle5wood' timestamp='1421343041' post='10751681']
[size=4][color=#000000]I've had many a set of irons over the years my last few sets have been Mizuno and others include Titleist and TM. I'm lucky enough to have one of the best club fitters in Scotland just up the road from me. He can't get enough sets of Srixons to satisfy the unexpected demand and they are selling over Mizuno's. Praise indeed. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]To the point, I've often been tempted to go Miura and I've hit Vaga's a few times as well. Both are special but value for money versus quality, looks, feel and for me, the biggest selling point regarding the Srixons. That being, the possibility of making up your own mix n match set of Z irons from the 545, 745 and 945. My set is made up of 745 from the 4 to 8 iron then 945 in the 9 and PW. I'm now considering ordering the 7 and 8 iron in the 945, the blades are so good. [/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Incidentally, I had no intention of buying the Srixons, I was considering a new set of Mizuno's. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

It's my understanding that the 945s will not be available in NA, irons or driver unfortunately.
[/quote]What was it about the 945's that impressed you so much to consider adding them witht he 7 and 8 iron now? What is your Hdcp and tell me know...thsreally is interesting....