"The Short Game" Show on Esquire

Maddog10

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1423484683' post='10916067']
[color=#800080]Some of those other parents look ashamed to be arounds these guys. Any peoples outs there know if Kids golf really is likes this , or is this made up for the fake drama. Some of them are giving likes ten swing instructions before each shot. No wonder they cannots focus or have fun.[/color]
[/quote]

My daughter has played junior golf for 7 years. She started at 10 years old. She did not/has not played a ton of national events. 3 AJGA events and numerous regional and local events. I have met very few idiot parents. Most are very supportive of their kids. Do parents get frustrated at poor play and dumb mistakes? Do you see a dad or two throwing his hands in the air or walking away in frustration? Of course you do. But I have seen maybe a couple of instances of verbal berating in the probably close to 200 events including high school that I have attended. I watched the Short Game movie, but have not seen the TV show. I suspect they work hard to find the asshat parents to make the show what it is.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1423508211' post='10918449']
Same, son grew up playing junior golf and went on to play college golf, saw very little crazy parents. There was one local dad who berated his son constantly, guess what? He quit in college..
The only other very poor thing I saw was at an AJGA, my son over heard in the mens out on course, a dad making his son w/d because he was "sick". Kid was in his pairing and not playing well and I think the dad was worried about his ranking. The kid did not want to w/d but the dad made him and also made him lie about it. That was truly disgusting.
[/quote]

Well, I have seen a few girls get "Sick" through the years. Not sure who decided they were sick. I would say the crazy level was a little higher at AJGA events, though our experience was limited.

I think bryces dad was by far the worst. I enjoyed watching Chloe and Max. My son is 8 and will start playing in US kids tournaments this spring and I really hope I don't see those kind of parents out there. We should be supporting our kids with more positive reinforcement not talking down to them. I hope some of these parents watch the show and realize how horrible they look

The first time Awesome's Dad dropped the f bomb in front of my kid, I'd have the rules officials there. And this Bryce's dad needs his a** kicked. My God, what a loser this guy is. Sachin's dad also could use a punch in the mouth. Same with Morgan's Dad. I'm so glad we didn't come across this when my daughter was a little. I can't believe some of these other dads don't speak up. They are affecting other kids in the pairings.

I've been watching and I don't think I can continue to watch. A couple of these fathers make me so angry. No offense to anyone in this thread who's kids played at this age but I don't know why anyone would want to put their kids through the stress of tournaments like that. Maybe at 10 or 12 years old but at 7 and 8, I don't agree with it. It doesn't even look like these kids are having fun. Isn't that what kids are supposed to do? Isn't that what this game is about at such a young age? It's crazy. As kids like Bryce get older they are just going to resent and even start to hate their fathers for the way they treat them and talk to them.

[color=#800080][quote name='Musky' timestamp='1424313596' post='10982343']
The first time Awesome's Dad dropped the f bomb in front of my kid, I'd have the rules officials there. And this Bryce's dad needs his a** kicked. My God, what a loser this guy is. Sachin's dad also could use a punch in the mouth. Same with Morgan's Dad. I'm so glad we didn't come across this when my daughter was a little. I can't believe some of these other dads don't speak up. They are affecting other kids in the pairings.
[/quote][/color]

[color=#800080]That Hernandez guy is a guy who shoulds just leave. He talks the whole time during her swings ands told her she hit it likes a baby. Ands he tells her to close the putter face all the times. What the he!! does that even mean... The other guy who takes his son to a bio-mechanics teacher is just a jackass. He walks off on the son on the last hole in one episode then berates him over his scores. My dad said he would probably keep quiet over the other stuffs , but if he heard a f-word arounds me at that age , there would have been a problem. However , that Chloe girl cheered for that Morgan more thans Morgan's dad. I am glad i never went through that , but do wish i hads the experience they are getting. [/color]

Wow....I've watched the original movie on netflix and really enjoyed it. But this show actually makes me angry. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever watched a show on TV and actually got mad while watching it.

Growing up you got trophies for finishing first, second and third. It didn't matter if it was golf, baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey and even bowling. I'm 33 years old. Kids today get trophies just for showing up, and I personally don't agree with that, but things are different now then 20-25 years ago. I believe it's important to understanding losing, as well as winning. But this does not mean I agree with the way these parents treat their kids. It is good to want your kid to your to do well, and it's important for the kid to want to do well, and be competitive (I don't have kids). But these "daddy caddies" are unbelievable. Two years ago me and my buddy coached high school golf at my old high school. There is no way in hell I'd be this hard even on the kids in high school. These parents like Byrce's dad and just about every other dad on this show, is so over the line, it's unbelievable. I don't think I could even be there without exploding on these dad's. I can totally understand wanting my kid to give 100%, and do well but this is too much.

I started playing golf at age 5 with my dad and he wasn't all that concerned about me going out and shooting good scores. It was about learning the game, but it was much more about being a good competitor, but not being a forcefully @$$hole. The dad that is ok on the show is Avery dad. Shes the young (kinda chubby, I honestly don't how to explain it her, and this is not a dig on her, she's actually my favorite) girl that plays in the older divisions. But watching this weeks even he was a total d!ck. These poor kids are going to either be super stars (statistically probably not), or hate their dad and even worse the game itself.

I truely feel feel bad for all these kids. I hope these "caddy daddy's" are watching this on TV and realize how horrible they really are on the golf course.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[color=#800080]If you call yourself a *caddy daddy* , do you deserve the Foghorn Leghorn speech ? Replace the part abouts a kid never playing baseball and replace it with a grown man calling himself a *caddy daddy.*[/color]

[color=#800080]This drama has to be for tv only , i just cannots see the other players' parents putting up with this crap off camera. A kid hitting a hybrid out of a bunker just to the right of the green.. That is a win , instead we choose to verbally bash him for a *poor* shot.[/color]

[color=#800080][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXLWkr5VMM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXLWkr5VMM[/url][/color]

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1424329526' post='10983553']
[color=#800080]This drama has to be for tv only , i just cannots see the other players' parents putting up with this crap off camera. A kid hitting a hybrid out of a bunker just to the right of the green.. That is a win , instead we choose to verbally bash him for a *poor* shot.[/color]
[/quote]

I've seen it before, but in a different sport. The other parents sat back and did nothing, even when this parent would trash the other kids. I couldn't believe it.

I currently don't have any kids, but I do have a daughter on the way. Looking ahead several years, I think I would really enjoy doing something like this with her if she is interested in playing golf competitively at that age. However, I CAN NOT imagine treating her the way that some of these dads treat their sons/daughters. It is ridiculous really... I think that up to a certain age it should literally be ALL about having fun, and these kids are certainly still within that range. Just let them enjoy playing golf with their dad. Why does that seem so difficult for these parents to do? Now once they are in 8th or 9th grade, maybe it's time to evaluate what they hope to get from golf. If they want to just continue playing all for fun then that's fine. I mean that's what the game is all about to begin with. If they are interested in playing in college and beyond, then perhaps it's time to get them involved with a teaching professional while the parents take a backseat and become fans. When/if the child WANTS to be coached, then it's time to get them a coach and let the parents be parents IMO. I personally think it's important to divide parenting from coaching so that the kids have time to "turn it off" when they are at home. Obviously parents can supplement the coaching to an extent, but to berate your kids publicly on the course, then come home and show them everything they did wrong on film, then take them to the range for more instruction/criticism seems like a sure fire way to burn a kid out on the sport while making them resent you at the same time.

Just watched the 3rd episode and Max's dad was great, first episode I didn't get completely annoyed although Bryant's dad is pretty awful. I like Avery as well and her dad is okay, but I don't like the not following thru with what he says. On episode 2 he told her more than once if she kept crying they would leave and she kept it up and he never followed thru, so she learns that he is full of idle threats. I have a friend who has 2 golfing sons, they are now high school age but years ago they were at US kids at Pinehurst and one of them was acting badly and even though he was doing well and even though they spent more than they really had to go, the dad made his son w/d for poor behavior. That boy today has the absolute BEST disposition I have seen in a youngster. It was painful for him at the time but boy did it pay off in spades..
Oh and the other thing that totally bugs is the dads who describe their players as "WE"... It's not WE its your kid.. ugh that is a telling sign of trouble..

If I hear a "caddie daddy" say one more time "don't hit it too hard" or "don't go to the right" or "don't go in the water", I am going to scream. None of them obviously understands the power of suggestion or how the subconscious processes information.

Listening to the constant stream of negative babbling makes me want to mute the television. How can Morgan stand to have her dad deliver those passive aggressive comments about every move she makes on the course? And then he has the nerve to berate her for getting angry. As if it were possible to have any other response, poor kid.

[quote name='swingseeker2' timestamp='1425011105' post='11037721']
If I hear a "caddie daddy" say one more time "don't hit it too hard" or "don't go to the right" or "don't go in the water", I am going to scream. None of them obviously understands the power of suggestion or how the subconscious processes information.

Listening to the constant stream of negative babbling makes me want to mute the television. How can Morgan stand to have her dad deliver those passive aggressive comments about every move she makes on the course? And then he has the nerve to berate her for getting angry. As if it were possible to have any other response, poor kid.
[/quote]

[quote name='swingseeker2' timestamp='1425011105' post='11037721']

[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you said. Like mentioned in another post I can't believe how angry I get watching this show lol. There's never been a show on TV that makes want to literally yell at the TV. But your totally right. I'cant imagine standing over a shot or putt having to hear "don't this or that," a virtually every shot. They show commercials of the show a lot too. For a split second you just hear Byrce's dad whiny voice saying "you can't even hit the ball!" I'd love to see how these caddy daddy's play, especially with someone yelling at them the whole round.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[quote name='emansun' timestamp='1425062806' post='11041495']
My daughter plays on the same tour here in N Dallas with Avery, Sachin and Awesome. Definitely some characters but I think TV editing makes it worse. Wish the focus would have been the kids as opposed to the Dads.
[/quote]

Editing can't change what these dads are saying to these young kids and how they act out there on the course. I'm sure they aren't acting like that the whole time but to me what they say and how they act in those moments is totally unacceptable.

[quote name='emansun' timestamp='1425062806' post='11041495']
My daughter plays on the same tour here in N Dallas with Avery, Sachin and Awesome. Definitely some characters but I think TV editing makes it worse. Wish the focus would have been the kids as opposed to the Dads.
[/quote]

Sadly, the kids don't provide the drama that the parents do.

I really wanted to like this show. I am fascinated by children that show exceptional talent for anything at such a young age. But the parents make this show unwatchable. I think it was Bryan's dad who could not stand to be left out and almost got his son disqualified by stalking him during a tournament? That is a high level of emotional dysfunction. Dad, this is your kid's journey, not yours. Go get a bucket of balls and go hit some somewhere else. Let Bryan figure some things out on his own. They will be lessons he learns better than any of the ones he has learned by listening to you. Oh, and go change your shirt. You look ridiculous standing outside the course fence wearing the same yellow/chartreuse shirt as your son.

[quote name='swingseeker2' timestamp='1425070334' post='11042485']
I really wanted to like this show. I am fascinated by children that show exceptional talent for anything at such a young age. But the parents make this show unwatchable. I think it was Bryan's dad who could not stand to be left out and almost got his son disqualified by stalking him during a tournament? That is a high level of emotional dysfunction. Dad, this is your kid's journey, not yours. Go get a bucket of balls and go hit some somewhere else. Let Bryan figure some things out on his own. They will be lessons he learns better than any of the ones he has learned by listening to you. Oh, and go change your shirt. You look ridiculous standing outside the course fence wearing the same yellow/chartreuse shirt as your son.
[/quote]

+1 again. I can see wanting to teach your kid things but them doing things on their own and messing up by themselves is also a way to learn things too. Sometimes messing things up on the course is a bigger lesson learned than actually winning.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I originally watched the The Shirt Game on netflix, like twice. But I don't remember it being negative (as far as he can recall). If I remember correctly it was actually pretty positive. I've also watched the first season of the peewee football in Texas I believe is where it was. The Short Game is just like it but golf instead of football, @$$hole parents.

It's to bad that their just showing these crazy parents. But I'm guessing watching positive parents who are incouraging and doing the right thing doesn't bring the viewers that these caddy daddies do. It's like the news, it's only bad stuff, never really anything positive.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I've been watching the last 5-6 episodes. I am literally blown away by how these dads are. Granted, we all know how these "reality" shows are. But still, these kids will be the perfect case of burnout! I played sports growing up, played them all, baseball, basketball and football. I never once had my mom ever talk to me that way, ever. She was always supportive and encouraging. I was lucky enough to work my a** off, and was blessed to continue my basketball career in college until injuries ended that sooner than I had liked.

Fast forward to present day, I have a son on the way, and I coach basketball, 7 years at the college level and 2 at the high school level. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone tell me, that my son will play basketball, I could already afford 4 years of college education for him! I tell them all the time, he can play whatever he wants, as long as he gets good grades in school and is a good person. I will give my son every opportunity to play whatever he wants. I've coached younger kids at summer camps, and have seen all the crazy parents, from the mild ones to the EXTREME ones to the over the top ones, so to me this show isn't that crazy but still is nuts! Would I like my son to play golf, of course, would be great to have that bond of having my son to golf with me and enjoy father/son bonding time. If he doesn't want to get super serious about it, thats fine too. But if he does, and my fiancé agrees, he can do First Tee camps, and leagues and if he wants to get into tournaments, so be it, and that goes for every sport if he wants to take up a seriousness in some sort of sport.

To the poster talking about how this new generation of "everyone gets a medal", I hate this idea! As a coach who is coaching this newer generation. I have a hard time with it, because when I was younger, it was dog eat dog. You win or you lose end of story! If I lost, I knew I had to work harder to change that into a win. But it seems that now a days, kids and some parents are just happy to get a 5th place ribbon. There is no translation into the real world, 1 person gets the girl, 1 person gets the job, and 1 person can take care of business and that is yourself!

TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5 
TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5
Taylormade P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 106.5g 6.5
TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 52* 
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron[/color] Newport 2 35"

When my daughter started working with her swing coach at 10 years old. He told me and my wife we had two jobs in the process. To offer encouragement and opportunity. He would provide the expertise, and the rest would be up to her.

It seems in most cases these parents go well beyond the encouragement and opportunity. Some of them are lunatics.