"The Short Game" Show on Esquire

Maddog10

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1428334143' post='11294287']
That's just gross. How did Morgan place by the way? I don't even get these families.. Out of curiosity I googled the kids to see who had websites and of course Morgan did, as well as Awesome and I can't remember which others did.

There was a girl from northern California, Casie Cathrea who had a lunatic dad like some of these, she was a very talented player, played in some LPGA events while in high school but her dad completely messed her up and by her freshman year of college (she quit her college team)she had severed herself from her family entirely, basically hates them, quit golf and is working at a fast food restaurant. There is a blog her dad wrote that is just disgusting as it is all very negative toward his daughter. The whole family is a mess.

here is the blog [url="http://www.mygolfdaddy.com/Blog/"]http://www.mygolfdaddy.com/Blog/[/url]
[/quote]

Morgan shot a 36 and lost in a playoff.

That blog is whack. Their are a lot of those dad's out there. I see them all of the time.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428333524' post='11294211']
So I take my son down to the US Kids tour this past weekend in Miami. The same tour Morgan, Chloe, and Bryce play on.

The first thing we saw was Morgan's parents setting up a tent. Yep, they were selling their kids products under a tent. I wish I would have taken a pitcure. Definitely used the show to try and exploit a business future. I was laughing. My son said "Who would want to buy something from people that act like them?" They had polo's, skirts, jewelery, and other crap. I don't think they sold a thing all day.

Bryce didn't play, but he and his dad were there at the end of the day. I guess they were hanging out to pump their chest that they were on TV. The dad definitley carried himself the way the TV show protrayed him.

You see a lot of the parents out there teeing it up for the kids. They stand behind them and line them up. They get on the greens and even line the ball up for them. I laugh and wonder "What will the kids do when they don't have daddy there to think for them." I let my son play and we have a great time. Get a distance talk about the wind and we decide on the club. I then step away. I am not teeing it up or lining him up. I want him to be able to play golf without me. Shoot, he is better than me. I won't line him up on the greens either. I will make him tell me about the putt, speed, and break then let him putt it on his own. The parents are more concerned with how the kids perform than they are. The kids are 9 and 10 years old. Their future is not going to be determined now, it is how they play when they are 13-17.
[/quote] What is the local tour? I didn't see any local tours in Florida on the US Kids site that had an event already.

[quote name='Noles' timestamp='1428349452' post='11296329']
[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428333524' post='11294211']
So I take my son down to the US Kids tour this past weekend in Miami. The same tour Morgan, Chloe, and Bryce play on.

The first thing we saw was Morgan's parents setting up a tent. Yep, they were selling their kids products under a tent. I wish I would have taken a pitcure. Definitely used the show to try and exploit a business future. I was laughing. My son said "Who would want to buy something from people that act like them?" They had polo's, skirts, jewelery, and other crap. I don't think they sold a thing all day.

Bryce didn't play, but he and his dad were there at the end of the day. I guess they were hanging out to pump their chest that they were on TV. The dad definitley carried himself the way the TV show protrayed him.

You see a lot of the parents out there teeing it up for the kids. They stand behind them and line them up. They get on the greens and even line the ball up for them. I laugh and wonder "What will the kids do when they don't have daddy there to think for them." I let my son play and we have a great time. Get a distance talk about the wind and we decide on the club. I then step away. I am not teeing it up or lining him up. I want him to be able to play golf without me. Shoot, he is better than me. I won't line him up on the greens either. I will make him tell me about the putt, speed, and break then let him putt it on his own. The parents are more concerned with how the kids perform than they are. The kids are 9 and 10 years old. Their future is not going to be determined now, it is how they play when they are 13-17.
[/quote] What is the local tour? I didn't see any local tours in Florida on the US Kids site that had an event already.
[/quote]

The local Winter Tours are over and are now starting the spring tours. Boca Raton Local Spring tour.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/local/find-local-tour/284866/boca-raton/results?tournament_id=491161

[color=#333333]To all [/color]

[color=#333333]Having not watched this show (will watch tonight) I am sure these parents are no different then the oddity that are basketball or track parents. Having experienced first hand the rebellion of a kid who in the opinion of others needs better direction and mental health help, each situation is different then people think . My own child would cry on the range. We weren't mean, she didn't want to leave until she got what we were working correct. From 50 feet away it looked like we wanted her to stay hence the crying, when in fact we wanted to leave. It's clear [u]some[/u] parent's would not like to be treated like they treat others but kids do tell you when you cross a line. Those abusive parents rarely get kids successful in golf. Those kids rarely win and most often cheat. As athletics have changed so has the microscope of the internet and how some use it ( including me) to promote success rather than morals. Having watched 5 course records and over 12 wins a year for a few years we should have watched closer her ability to understand why verses how and make her "respect each day". We thought we asked why, but now I think we should have listened better and helped her ADHD which turned out a much larger issue.[/color]

[color=#333333]We did hire coach's, psychologists, and trainers that we as parents were asked to help reinforce the rules each would request. As I look back a few of those folks now they were in it for the propaganda not helping Casie. We would ask Casie if this was all ok to which the common response was always yes. Only when she experienced the independence of a college 1100 miles away from a support structure that offered a very ridged sort of rules did she fall off course. The rebellion was caused by trying to get her "back" under our rules protecting her from herself. That's how we became her excuse for screwing up sadly. [/color]

[color=#333333]Some info ... [/color]

[color=#333333]Not knowing how Abigale got my web info on Casie's issues, folks like you all have miss informed opinions based on parental stereo types . I get emails each week offering help from those who know the truth yet feel helpless. From members of golf clubs to parents of other kids who Casie influenced they are all sad about whats happened. Casie is the issue not us / me[/color]
[color=#333333]FYI[/color]
[color=#333333]In Casie leaving school .....[/color]
[color=#333333]1. With a 1.2 GPA (YES 1.2) ,[/color]
[color=#333333]2. Kicked off her golf team for the 3rd ( yes three times) time ,[/color]
[color=#333333]3. Being driven home twice, after asking for a transfer to another school.[/color]
[color=#333333]4. She stopped going to class entirely after being caught in bed with a guy in her room instead of practice with her team.[/color]
[color=#333333]I am not too sure you all care about truth or the real issues but we / me parental responsibilities for the actions of a less then honest kid are not our issue when the kid refuses to be honest. This website you seem to find so offensive lie's about nothing. Casie wanted to come home BUT we kicked her out because she couldn't be honest.[/color]

[color=#333333]Casie has chosen a life with drugs, sex booze and tattoo's. Look up her brother on facebook or instagram and you will see a 4.2 GPA track and basketball star who has called out his sister for less then honest behavior. He seems rto have turned oiut just fine. Sadly our family is by some deemed to be the issue, when truly ADHD and bipolar behavior and loser enablers with a low self esteem issues should be looked at as the real reason sadly Casie is messed up.[/color]

[color=#333333]Blaming parents for the lack of self disciple by a child who is less then honest because its easier to lie and play a victim is wrong in this case. The fact is Casie decided to make decisions on her own, lie's about contact with a family who did nothing but ask her to be honest. Like her brother recently posted, it's a lie to claim she can't contact her brother that's her choice yet be bemoans the fact she misses him when the fact is that's her choice . It's a another lie she can't be successful even at golf, that's her choice. Although we as parents are sad for her we can not force her to be honest... that's her choice[/color]

[color=#333333]Why the blog? Because she reads it and i hope see's we care and will fight for her. [/color]

[color=#333333]I only responded because not a day goes by we as parents don't wish our circumstances were different and for someone to say otherwise is wrong . Not a day goes by we think if only 1 or 2 things would be different she would be fine. The fact is I am sure she thinks the same thing, only for her its harder to admit around her recent group friends who believe her parents were wrong that maybe nobody correct.[/color]

[color=#333333]This was never about golf as I had thought for years. Its about life both never are predicable [/color]

FYI I know there are errors in grammar. I was in a hurry

[color=#333333]HC [/color]

www.mygolfdaddy.com/Blog[color=#333333] [/color]

So, I only was able to watch the last 4 or 5 episodes of this program until last night. My DVR recorded the first episode yesterday.

I just have to say "Holy Cow.". I didn't realize how dysfunctional Morgan and Bryce's dad really were until watching that episode.

Morgan's dad is the poster child for "Why a parent shouldn't try to coach their child in golf." At 7 years old, a kid doesn't need a coach at all. Let them play and have fun. This guy was an absolute embarrasment and should be arrested for mental abuse on his child. The girl is 7, let her have fun.

Bryce's dad is a complete whack job. He left me laughing. The kid is 8 and has a regiment like he is in college. Work out, go to Joey D's (I found this humorous because they are robbing the guy), and golf practice all because his dad thinks he is an elite golfer. I hate to tell him, but Bryce is average at best for that age. He is far from elite. Elite is going to shoot right around par give or take a stroke or two even on a bad day. Elite doesn't need a hybrid to hit the ball 100 yards. This kid would just assume play with ants and enjoy life.

Morgan and Bryce won't be playing when they are 13 if their daddies don't leave them alone.

I think there needs to be a medium in the handling of a child golfer. I am certainly appauled and embarassed watching the behavior that I see from the parents on this show. I have seen similar things in person and it is very uncomfortable when it happens. On the other hand, I completely disagree with the notion that when kids are 7 or 8 years old that we should just let them have fun and they don't need any coaching. At age 7 my son had already played soccer, baseball, basketball and swimming. In each of those sports, he had someone coaching him. Someone helped him with fundamentals and it was noticable when he improved because of it. Why should kids not get coaching in golf at that age? I see kids who are not even in school yet who have beautiful swim strokes. They didn't just do it naturally, there was an instructor in the pool teaching them. Why not golf?

[quote name='Noles' timestamp='1428511440' post='11311945']
I think there needs to be a medium in the handling of a child golfer. I am certainly appauled and embarassed watching the behavior that I see from the parents on this show. I have seen similar things in person and it is very uncomfortable when it happens. On the other hand, I completely disagree with the notion that when kids are 7 or 8 years old that we should just let them have fun and they don't need any coaching. At age 7 my son had already played soccer, baseball, basketball and swimming. In each of those sports, he had someone coaching him. Someone helped him with fundamentals and it was noticable when he improved because of it. Why should kids not get coaching in golf at that age? I see kids who are not even in school yet who have beautiful swim strokes. They didn't just do it naturally, there was an instructor in the pool teaching them. Why not golf?
[/quote]

I will rephrase what I am talking about and think you will agree.

Golf is different in other sports in that growth can really effect the full swing. Growing just a quarter inch can effect how a junior hits the ball. Running to a coach for full swing is not effective because it may have nothing to do with swing. A lot of times it is simply growth. I went through it with my older teen daughter and am now going through it with my 9 year old son. They need to know the basics of the grip and the swing and that is it. I believe they need coaching, just not seeing someone twice a week because they have a problem.

The most important thing they can learn at an early age is putting/chipping/pitching. This is where you score. If you learn how to do it early it will stick with you forever. If you are going to pay for lessons, this is the area to pay for lessons.

My son has a beautiful swing. Has never had a full swing lesson in his entire life. If he wants to learn to curve it, the best way is for him to figure it out and not have someone teach him. The swing is the most overcoached and over taught part of the game. Too many swings are stamped out rather than just letting the kid learn how to do it on their own.

I don't think that parents should teach their kids golf. It is a bad recipe for the kids hating it when they get older. At 7 and 8 they need to just have fun and learn to swing on their own. You take some of these kids from the show and it is like they are being forced to play tournament golf. Tournament golf is very difficult to play. Some of them just want to go to the course to be there with their dads. Just like going out to the driveway to shoot hoops with your dad. There is nothing wrong with just having fun. They don't have to play tournament golf.

My daughter played on a high school golf team when she was in 7th grade. When she got to high school, I went hands off and found a solid instructor that would work on her game and the mental approach. About 7-8 years ago Phoenix/AZ had some talent in high school so the competition was tough. Her sophomore year I have have a pic of her on the podium (4th place, total of three over for three rounds) with Sara Brown, Melissa Mabanta,Cheyenne Woods and Amanda Blumenhurst. I am proud to say I had nothing to do with that success other than supporting her off the course.

In Phoenix like I have said before... Parents are not allowed out on the course, period. Best rule seen to date... let the kids play the game and learn social skills. Bottom line is parents try and relive their childhood through their kids... it is sad to watch.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

[quote name='Skydiver22' timestamp='1428519553' post='11313027']
My daughter played on a high school golf team when she was in 7th grade. When she got to high school, I went hands off and found a solid instructor that would work on her game and the mental approach. About 7-8 years ago Phoenix/AZ had some talent in high school so the competition was tough. Her sophomore year I have have a pic of her on the podium (4th place, total of three over for three rounds) with Sara Brown, Melissa Mabanta,Cheyenne Woods and Amanda Blumenhurst. I am proud to say I had nothing to do with that success other than supporting her off the course.

In Phoenix like I have said before... Parents are not allowed out on the course, period. Best rule seen to date... let the kids play the game and learn social skills. Bottom line is parents try and relive their childhood through their kids... it is sad to watch.
[/quote]

Parents aren't even allowed on the course to watch?

[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428520875' post='11313225']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Nope... You watch them tee off on one, putt out on nine, tee off on ten, putt out on eighteen. That is it. No pressure from the parents while on the course. All the junior golfers loved it. and they learned how to police the groups with rules instead of a parent calling out a kid.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

[quote name='Brad Thor' timestamp='1428525482' post='11313887']
How does Awsome's dad not get reamed by the other fathers when he drops f-bombs ect...around the other kids?

Better yet why is he not and the other swearing dads not kicked out?

This is the saddest show and [s]some[/s] most of the parents are just horrible with the parenting and coaching skills.
[/quote]
I agree. If the U.S. Kids want to help grow the game of golf, this show will not help. It will have a negative impact. I could see some parents keeping their kids away from golf and these overbearing parent caddies.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Skydiver22' timestamp='1428521360' post='11313303']
[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428520875' post='11313225']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Nope... You watch them tee off on one, putt out on nine, tee off on ten, putt out on eighteen. That is it. No pressure from the parents while on the course. All the junior golfers loved it. and they learned how to police the groups with rules instead of a parent calling out a kid.
[/quote]

I hate US kids because of he parent caddies. However, at certain ages they need it.

In every association (FSGA and SFPGA are the two majors) they have a policy of no caddie and parents can't interact with the kids. You can walk, watch, and cheer. Any instruction and the kid is DQ'd.

I think the Arizona rule is extreme. I am sure weather doesn't play a big role in Arizona. Summers in Florida it can be bright and shiney. Half an hour later you are in the middle of a thunder storm. How do you get kids off the course during a lightning storm? There aren't enough adults within the association running the tournamnet to do that. I see other safety issues as well. I don't like that rule at all. Seems irresponsible when you are looking at safety.

[quote name='Brad Thor' timestamp='1428525482' post='11313887']
How does Awsome's dad not get reamed by the other fathers when he drops f-bombs ect...around the other kids?

Better yet why is he not and the other swearing dads not kicked out?

This is the saddest show and [s]some[/s] most of the parents are just horrible with the parenting and coaching skills.
[/quote]

I would have a problem with the cursing for sure. I don't think it is that loud on the course. I think him being mic'd up tends to be why we hear so much of it.

If the parents would encourage rather than discourage the kids would be better. Don't tell them they hit a bad shot because they know they hit a bad shot. It makes it worse by telling them what they did wrong.

• 2 years later...

I thought about this thread when one of my buddies showed me a link to a kid from Instagram with a 7 year old playing Fourteen clubs. SMH while laughing at the stupidity. They should really do another series. It is really easy to find these over the top parents to make a show about.

I thought about this thread when one of my buddies showed me a link to a kid from Instagram with a 7 year old playing Fourteen clubs. SMH while laughing at the stupidity. They should really do another series. It is really easy to find these over the top parents to make a show about.

Most of those kids are still going strong here in North Texas. If Awsome is an tournament you can count on it being a 6 or 7 hour round. The girls are always stuck behind his group playing. Why they don't issue these people penalties I do not know. It gotten so bad with slow rounds they give carts to girls now. Told my daughter it's time to play elsewhere.

I just recently watched this series as well as the Short Game movie it was based upon. Obviously, this show is built as reality TV with intended drama (or intended drama extracted by the producers picking parents they know are waaaaaaay over the top). What might be interesting is a follow up series to see where these kids are now.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I've just started watching the series and have to say it has helped me as a parent to know what kind of couch caddy not to be.

And also helped wind encouraging the mental side of the game. It amazes me some of the comments someone would make on the golf course. Nothing good could come from it. I want my kid to enjoy golf and be in for the long haul.

Also us kids courses are way to short

I just recently watched this series as well as the Short Game movie it was based upon. Obviously, this show is built as reality TV with intended drama (or intended drama extracted by the producers picking parents they know are waaaaaaay over the top). What might be interesting is a follow up series to see where these kids are now.

I don't think I would give those kids or their parents any more attention than that show already did. Some of those parents are awful. I have seen some of the same and worse behavior on the golf course, always from dads. I have always said, they are teaching their kids to hate golf and to hate them. I can't imagine any kid who plays under those conditions ever playing past the age of 14 or 15.

• 2 years later...

I was unable to find it online, so I bought it on Apple TV last fall.

It has been worth every penny of that $14.99 so far, for a variety of reasons.

--It gave my kids and I a look at several elite golfers close to the age of my kids. They enjoy watching the kids more for their quirks than they do their swing--as it should be.

--The blueprint for both success and failure are laid out in the series, episode-by-episode. When the kids don't want to stretch out before swinging, "Hey, remember what happened to Chloe?" When I get frustrated at my son, I remember what Morgan or Bryce's dad looked like when they got mad.

--The series captured how overboard we as parents can become wanting success for our kids. The series is part of my thought process as it pertains to junior golf now. As HH mentioned, does an 8-year-old really need to go to Joey D's (or a similar, specialized trainer)? I mean, it's a doable drive from my house--but does it make sense?

The series is funny because I know of several of the families on the show. Awesome, Chloe, and Avery are really good. The rest are just so-so or don't even play anymore. Bryce hasn't played a tournament, that I know of, in years. Play with a couple of the families from the show, but weren't featured.

I think we've been through the series three times since we bought it, so we've gotten some mileage out of it.

The wife can't deal with the dads who curse at their 7 and 8 y.o. kids, and who could blame her?

The kids identify the "bad dads" and "good dads", and they like most of the kids.

Before getting my own kids into the USKG tournaments, I asked the pro we were seeing if the dads were really like that. I was relieved to hear that a very small percentage even approached that level of special.

I suspected you did know many of them, given our proximity to them. In looking up the juniors from the show and movie, I'm actually impressed how many have had staying power and kept high in the rankings of their age group.

The golfer I was most surprised with was Bryant, given his struggle to keep his emotions even he seemed a long shot to stick with golf... and he still may be, but I give him credit for sticking with it I guess.

It looks like Chloe sticks to mostly local events, but plays against older and deep fields. Avery's path looks more aggressive. I'm sure there are lots of colleges who have been watching them both.

I know many of these kids as my daughter has played with the vast majority of them.

I would say with the exception of Chloe and Morgan the vast majority are kids you do not want to play with. Morgan’s dad is actually really cool once you get to know him. The show sort was scripted so if you watch it take that into account.

However most of the parents that were on that show are the kind of parents who will do anything to have their kids win. They are the parents and kids you need to watch.

The show was cancelled for a reason the series was never that good. Lots of parents watched that at the time and thought they were it’s next stars.

All of these kids are now 5-6 years older than my kids, so I guess it is just interesting for me to see what they were like at my kids' current age--->what they are like now.

I remember reading a story about how they had to pretty much talk Chloe's parents into their family being on the show. He didn't sound happy with how the show was edited to favor the explosive moments over the happy/harmonious moments.

There is no doubt that a parent making every effort to make sure their kid succeeds is a force to be reckoned with, and also no doubt that it can give parents a bad look. The sacrifices some of the parents made were incredible. The families with two competitive kids, now that I know how hard it is to do logistics for just two tournaments in one month, really have to have their act together and be on the same page.

Two kids who weren't "featured" but who appeared in the show at various points were Madison and Mae--both who have had a certain amount of continued success and acclaim as juniors post-show. The show probably could have used a couple more competitive but not necessarily featured kids like this as sub-features to make it feel more rounded out (IMO).

I do hope that there is another show about junior golfers at some point. Maybe some sort of a junior big break skills format done regionally, something that draws the kids in more than watching DCP (my kids like the human interest parts, as well as watching the kids perform...but the filler in-between is monotonous and not geared for kids). It seems like The Short Game brand may not be able to recover from the failures of the show, though I guess anything is possible. The movie is seemingly universally loved, so maybe that short/sweet format works better for everyone?

I hope they don’t have a show again I think it hurt junior golf a lot. Most of the parents that are on the show and even the Netflix movie I think are perfect examples of what not to do.

I am sure a lot us could talk about stuff we seen these kids and parents do but it’s not really productive and the show is pretty much dead now.

I don’t think the show is a good reflection on junior golf.