"The Short Game" Show on Esquire

Maddog10

Can someone help me with the equipment that the kids on this show are using.

My 8 year old son and I watch this show and he enjoys it. He plays in some the junior golf events around our area and the occasional Sunday 9 holes with me.

All I see on this show are Scotty Cameron putter and Titleist/Taylormade drivers. Are these dads just buying this stuff and cutting it down? According to the guy at my local shop, and personally my opinion, those types of clubs are way to big and heavy for these kids. Am I missing something?

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='todd.ashford' timestamp='1428002502' post='11270687']

My 8 year old son and I watch this show and he enjoys it. He plays in some the junior golf events around our area and the occasional Sunday 9 holes with me.

All I see on this show are Scotty Cameron putter and Titleist/Taylormade drivers. Are these dads just buying this stuff and cutting it down? According to the guy at my local shop, and personally my opinion, those types of clubs are way to big and heavy for these kids. Am I missing something?
[/quote]

The woods are too heavy for some of them. My son is 9 and uses cut off driver and metals with a senior flex shaft. My son is strong and can handle it as he couldn't step on the US kids woods or he would hook them. His new senior flex cut down clubs have straightened him out. The U.S. kids woods and drivers are not very good. My son hit the U.S. Kids Driver 175. He hits a Rocketballz cut down 3 wood 185. His new cut down Jet Speed Driver goes 200. There is a huge difference in distance.

As far as the Scotty Cameron putters, I LMAO. That is a joke. The US Kids putters are horrible, but come on, a cut down Scotty Cameron? I bought my kid a used Powerbilt putter for $4.99, had it cut down and put a new grip on it. He would putt circles around those kids.

On my final note, the only boy that was good was Bryant. The rest of them were average at best.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

In Phoenix... the parents are not even allowed on the course in JGAA events. Its called the Sean O'Hair rule, yes his dad was "that guy" from what I have heard.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

11 year old son uses a 11* Warbird / ladies shaft cut 1" and murders it. He is no longer allowed on the ladies T box. Senior Cobra 5 wood less .75" and an Adams 4 hybrid.
Irons are Cobra W senior shafts with a touch of lie adjustment and cut .75" and he loves them but still needs to grow a bit. At the rate hes growing he should fit them in a week and outgrow them in a month.
I have to put that 1" back in the driver sometime soon and it will probably hit the curb before summers end.
300-400 clams for a kids set is what these peeps are spending and the kids outgrow them in months. Nutty.

I wonder what the Senior/Ladies flex would do for my son. He's 8 and has the Tour X juniors set that you can find at Golfer's Warehouse, Roger Dunn, etc. Not a bad set, but part of me wants to give him my old Nike Covert driver with some ladies flex Aldila shaft I have laying around. I guess it's worth a shot, but I really did find of the kid's bag setups on that show amusing.

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
instagram.com/toddash18

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1428017352' post='11272301']
[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428007498' post='11271287']
On my final note, the only boy that was good was Bryant. The rest of them were average at best.
[/quote]

He has a horrible attitude though. He was constantly slamming the club and even damaging the course in some cases.
[/quote]

Agree 100000%. There quite a few things that really had me quite bothered/angry and leaving me wanting to yell that TV.

1) yes Bryant slamming his clubs. Lol in the rule sheet at our club, in the Club Championship throwing clubs-slamming/burying clubs in the ground especially around the greens can get you disqualified. I'm kinda surprised that nothing was mentioned to them during or after the round about it. I can understand being young, and in a World Championship has got to be extremely stressful for these for these kids. Especially with there "caddy daddy's" barking at them nonstop. He acted like a spoiled brat out there. Hopefully maybe seeing the show he'll realize what he actually doing and change.

2) Morgans dad after like 4 putt said something like "let's go we're going home, you can't win now. Leave the club (after the 4 putt he threw a club on the ground and frustration) we're going home!" This just blew my mind. Basically he saying"You can't win so just quit when things don't go your way." Which a HORRIBLE thing to teach a kid. She started crying saying she wanted to play and he kept saying we're going home. I'm she decided to continue the round and play the next despite her father telling her "there's no point you can't win.

3) Bryce's dad was just unbelievable too. If you watched the show I don't have to explain it.

I just honestly feel bad for these kids, especially the way they treated by their fathers.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='todd.ashford' timestamp='1428002502' post='11270687']

[/quote]

My 8 y/o son plays a lot of golf and is a good player. He plays in a lot of tournaments. I think the drivers are a little over the top. With that said, as your son progresses he could run into a similar issue that my son did. About 6 months ago we could not figure out why his driver just seemed to fall dead to the ground. In fact, his 3 wood was just as long as the driver. On a hunch, I got a shaft from Flynn Golf and put it into his driver.....BAM.....instant 20 yards. I was shocked. He got so much more roll with the same carry distance. As best as I could figure the shaft in the junior club was too whippy and causing a lot of spin.

My point being....you may get to a point that upgrading equipment will bring significant gains to your golfer.

[quote name='todd.ashford' timestamp='1428016800' post='11272237']
I wonder what the Senior/Ladies flex would do for my son. He's 8 and has the Tour X juniors set that you can find at Golfer's Warehouse, Roger Dunn, etc. Not a bad set, but part of me wants to give him my old Nike Covert driver with some ladies flex Aldila shaft I have laying around. I guess it's worth a shot, but I really did find of the kid's bag setups on that show amusing.
[/quote]

I would have the ladies shaft cut down to around 35" (depends on his height) and let him have a go at it. It will cost you $15.00 to have it cut and a junior grip put on. If the shaft is just laying around, a $15.00 investment is nothing.

[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1428035451' post='11274125']
[/quote]

He has a horrible attitude though. He was constantly slamming the club and even damaging the course in some cases.
[/quote]

Agree 100000%. There quite a few things that really had me quite bothered/angry and leaving me wanting to yell that TV.

1) yes Bryant slamming his clubs. Lol in the rule sheet at our club, in the Club Championship throwing clubs-slamming/burying clubs in the ground especially around the greens can get you disqualified. I'm kinda surprised that nothing was mentioned to them during or after the round about it. I can understand being young, and in a World Championship has got to be extremely stressful for these for these kids. Especially with there "caddy daddy's" barking at them nonstop. He acted like a spoiled brat out there. Hopefully maybe seeing the show he'll realize what he actually doing and change.

2) Morgans dad after like 4 putt said something like "let's go we're going home, you can't win now. Leave the club (after the 4 putt he threw a club on the ground and frustration) we're going home!" This just blew my mind. Basically he saying"You can't win so just quit when things don't go your way." Which a HORRIBLE thing to teach a kid. She started crying saying she wanted to play and he kept saying we're going home. I'm she decided to continue the round and play the next despite her father telling her "there's no point you can't win.

3) Bryce's dad was just unbelievable too. If you watched the show I don't have to explain it.

I just honestly feel bad for these kids, especially the way they treated by their fathers.
[/quote]

Bryant was a baby being forced onto a stage he wasn't ready for. My kid qualified for the World's last year and we didn't go because we didn't think he was mature enough to handle it. We didn't want it to be a bad experience for him or us so we just didn't go. This year at 10 he is more mature and mor ready for that stage so we are going.

My kid is playing the same event this weekend that Morgan is. That guy is something else, especially for his Morgan not being that good. What most of you aren't seeing is the short distance they play from. When she gets older she will struggle because her swing is aweful. She is a case that her clubs are too heavy for her.

Bryce's father cracks me up honestly. He is talking about an investment for his kid when he is 8. Seriously dude? Your kid is 8 and you are such an ahole you are going to burn him out before he is a teenager. Golf is supposed to be fun for the kids and Bryce looks like he hates it.

[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428070421' post='11275391']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bryant was a baby being forced onto a stage he wasn't ready for. My kid qualified for the World's last year and we didn't go because we didn't think he was mature enough to handle it. We didn't want it to be a bad experience for him or us so we just didn't go. This year at 10 he is more mature and mor ready for that stage so we are going.

My kid is playing the same event this weekend that Morgan is. That guy is something else, especially for his Morgan not being that good. What most of you aren't seeing is the short distance they play from. When she gets older she will struggle because her swing is aweful. She is a case that her clubs are too heavy for her.

Bryce's father cracks me up honestly. He is talking about an investment for his kid when he is 8. Seriously dude? Your kid is 8 and you are such an ahole you are going to burn him out before he is a teenager. Golf is supposed to be fun for the kids and Bryce looks like he hates it.
[/quote]

[color=#222222]Bryce's father deserves a punch in the face... If he thinks golf was expensive for his son, wait to the bills from the shrink start rolling in around 12 or 13 when Bryce finally can't handle his dads poor attitude and constant negativity.[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]There were only 2 maybe 3 good parents on the show. Chloes dad, Maxs dad, and maybe Averys dad. [/color]

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 22° 4 hybrid
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line

100% Bryce's dad needs a punch.

If he thinks his golf investment is bad I sure hope his kid doesn't take up hockey!

Ball - Titleist ProV1x

instagram.com/toddash18

[quote name='BobbyDPlaysGolf' timestamp='1424307333' post='10981645']
Ok so I've spent my day watching this crap and it's painfully obvious that most of these dads are not great players, for instance awesomes dad has him hit driver when there is a hazard he can reach off the tee. the sillyness!!
[/quote]
Looks like they selected the dads with the most issues for the most air time. Why wouldn't they? Nothing like a complete a--hole to drive up television ratings. This is not the reality that is out there.

My son has been on the US Kids Local Tour. The real scoop: most dads and moms on the U.S. Kids Tour are actually really decent and calm. Some don't even say a thing to their kid except "your yardage is ______". Then let the kid do their own thing. Some dads and moms are on cell phones conducting other business or activities. One or two look like they are about to pass out for lugging the kids bag instead of using a cart. One dad or granddad may be a complete rules monster who gets weird looks from all the kids, including his own. There's the dad who keeps a tally on the shots taken by every kid in his kid's foursome while keeping tabs on how long it takes a kid to take a shot. That's the reality that is not shown on TV because it is rather boring.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1428079859' post='11276625']
[quote name='BobbyDPlaysGolf' timestamp='1424307333' post='10981645']
Ok so I've spent my day watching this crap and it's painfully obvious that most of these dads are not great players, for instance awesomes dad has him hit driver when there is a hazard he can reach off the tee. the sillyness!!
[/quote]
Looks like they selected the dads with the most issues for the most air time. Why wouldn't they? Nothing like a complete a--hole to drive up television ratings. This is not the reality that is out there.

My son has been on the US Kids Local Tour. The real scoop: most dads and moms on the U.S. Kids Tour are actually really decent and calm. Some don't even say a thing to their kid except "your yardage is ______". Then let the kid do their own thing. Some dads and moms are on cell phones conducting other business or activities. One or two look like they are about to pass out for lugging the kids bag instead of using a cart. One dad or granddad may be a complete rules monster who gets weird looks from all the kids, including his own. There's the dad who keeps a tally on the shots taken by every kid in his kid's foursome while keeping tabs on how long it takes a kid to take a shot. That's the reality that is not shown on TV because it is rather boring.
[/quote]

The first event my son ever played, there were two parents that got in a shouting match on a green near ours. I thought to myself, "What did I get us into."

For the most part you are correct. The parents are pretty good.

[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1428070421' post='11275391']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I know they play course/tees that are extremely short, they are 7-8 year olds. Their definitely not even playing the ladies tees. And your right they never really showed much of their short game unless it went in the hole, or terribly wrong like blading it over the green. The one thing that I watched and was kinda surprising was the practice swings in the bunker. I saw a few kinda skip practice swings on in the sand, and grounding clubs in the bunkers. I realize that it's junior golf. Maybe this is allowed in their tournaments. I guess I just figured they played by the rules 100% in World Championships. I mean ball down from tee to green, and no grounding clubs in hazards. I'm definitely not calling them cheaters. Hell I'm 33 and our course plays winter rules in all tournaments. I just curious if anyone knows how they actually play rules wise in these World Competitions?

I was actually going to mention the "investment" thing. The actually conversation Bryce's dad had that was on TV was very short so I wasn't sure that everyone noticed what he said. I was shocked when I heard him say that......investment? I was thinking "Are eff'ing kidding me? Did he really just say that?"

You can't judge a book by it's cover, but I imagine that every kid on that show would destroy their caddy daddy in golf if the kids played the kids tee, and dad's play the white tees.

I can't imagine standing over every shot and someone talking down to me, and barking 4-8 swing thoughts, plus "don't go left OB, and there's those trees right, but swing hard, but don't reach the creak that's crosses the fairway!". Then the caddy daddy yells "I just you not to do that!!!!!!!!"

It's frickin' unreal!

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[color=#800080]Also how one woulds tell the daughter to close her putter face so she does nots miss it left or something. I was desperately waiting for one of them to hit the parents with a club out of anger. I wonder if the normal parents gave Bryce's dad a prison beating after the show ended. That i woulds watch.[/color]

[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1428113956' post='11279953']
I saw a few kinda skip practice swings on in the sand, and grounding clubs in the bunkers. I realize that it's junior golf. Maybe this is allowed in their tournaments. I guess I just figured they played by the rules 100% in World Championships.
[/quote]

Those were waste bunkers at Pinehurst, so you can ground your club. I didn't see any of them actually ground their club in sand traps.

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1428115171' post='11280055']
[color=#800080]Also how one woulds tell the daughter to close her putter face so she does nots miss it left or something. I was desperately waiting for one of them to hit the parents with a club out of anger. I wonder if the normal parents gave Bryce's dad a prison beating after the show ended. That i woulds watch.[/color]
[/quote]

lol I thought for sure one of them would toss their putter in the pond after listening to their dads criticize them on the greens like that.

Bryce's dad was no doubt the biggest asshat on the show, but junior golf is indeed an investment if you're doing it with a college scholarship in mind. In our case we spent college money on junior golf in hopes our daughter would get a scholarship. Of course we would have found a way to get her the education she wanted even if it hadn't worked out, and we never pressured her to perform so we would "get our money's worth". But it's in the back of your mind. At least in our income bracket it was. It worked in our case. The return was probably much better than we would have gotten in an education fund. But it's much easier for girls, and she didn't start until 11-12.

But, man, that guy yelling at that poor little boy telling him what a disappointment he is was criminal.

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1428117051' post='11280255']
[quote name='rymail00' timestamp='1428113956' post='11279953']
I saw a few kinda skip practice swings on in the sand, and grounding clubs in the bunkers. I realize that it's junior golf. Maybe this is allowed in their tournaments. I guess I just figured they played by the rules 100% in World Championships.
[/quote]

Those were waste bunkers at Pinehurst, so you can ground your club. I didn't see any of them actually ground their club in sand traps.
[/quote]

Oh ok. I didn't know they were waste bunkers (can you ground your club in waste bunker, we don't have waste bunkers where we live so I've got no idea)? I know for a fact I saw Bryant do it in the World Championship. Maybe twice? I also I saw couple others players definitely hit/brush bthe sand on practice swings and sole their club in the "sand" not sure if it was a bunker or waste area.

I'm not trying to call these kids out or calling the cheater or anything. I was only curious in what they played rules wise. Maybe they played touch them in the fairways and and it was ok to ground or touch the sand or waste bunker.

Regardless I'd pay for pay-per-view to see someone yell and be little these caddy daddies they way they treat the kid. I'd love to see how they handle it. Especially where they were playing to be crowned the best golfer in the world, and all the extra baggage that must go with playing in a Workd Championship (honestly I'm not a bitter person, I'd just love to see these dad's act under the same pressure the put on their 7-8 year olds.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1425505299' post='11078135']
Bryant's dad...man what an interesting character.

[/quote]

[color=#800080]He is nots that bad overall. He has valid points about them working together. His son acts likes a baby ands blames his dad even when he decides on the shot himself.[/color]

[color=#800080]Morgan's dad may be the worst. At least Bryce's dad showed some support in the one show when his son was having a bad round in Pinehurst. Morgan's dad was going to leave a club behind to show his daughter what's up. Awesome's dad , besides that name he gave him , was a character but not too crazy after the first time on it.[/color]

[color=#800080]As far as waste areas ands practice swings , i am sure Bryant was in a greenside bunker on the last show ands he was hitting the sand on practice swings. So , that is a penalty by USGA rules. Also , why do parents tee up the balls and mark putts and things that usually the golfer does ?[/color]

[color=#800080]My personal least favourite was Avery's dad ands Morgan. I know she is young , but her high voice gets me.[/color]

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1428221993' post='11286805']
[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1425505299' post='11078135']
Bryant's dad...man what an interesting character.

[/quote]

[color=#800080]Morgan's dad may be the worst. At least Bryce's dad showed some support in the one show when his son was having a bad round in Pinehurst. Morgan's dad was going to leave a club behind to show his daughter what's up. Awesome's dad , besides that name he gave him , was a character but not too crazy after the first time on it.[/color]

[color=#800080]As far as waste areas ands practice swings , i am sure Bryant was in a greenside bunker on the last show ands he was hitting the sand on practice swings. So , that is a penalty by USGA rules. Also , why do parents tee up the balls and mark putts and things that usually the golfer does ?[/color]

[color=#800080]My personal least favourite was Avery's dad ands Morgan. I know she is young , but her high voice gets me.[/color]
[/quote]

I agree about Morgan's dad. Every time she hits a shot that isn't perfect he yells at her and tells her what she "did wrong". That really irritated me. Awesome's dad was quite the character, but all that swearing around the kids was a little too much.

The parent teeing it up for their kid was something I was confused about too. I'm pretty sure they could handle putting their ball on the tee.

"I was actually going to mention the "investment" thing. The actually conversation Bryce's dad had that was on TV was very short so I wasn't sure that everyone noticed what he said. I was shocked when I heard him say that......investment? I was thinking "Are eff'ing kidding me? Did he really just say that?"

This is often an overlooked aspect of youth sports. There are dads who believe that spending the money on "professional instruction" will make their child the next elite athlete. I've seen it in baseball, soccer, basketball and golf.

When my son was 6 I got him baseball hitting lessons, 5 1/2 hour lessons for $225. They taught him the basics, then I get the call and they ask if I'm ready to sign him up for more lessons, I say no, if he doesn't know hot to hit after $225, that's it for his baseball career. A friend of mine had his son do the same lessons, and then signed him up to what was to become $4500 worth of batting lessons. My son went on to becoming one of the most feared contact hitters in his league, his boy would constantly hit it back to the pitcher, the result of always hitting in a narrow batting cage with more or less a power bunt.

As a youth coach I've seen that all these expensive lessons get the child a little more advanced than their peers, but as they grow older, true talent can't really be taught or bought, only the child decides whether he has the desire and athletic ability to implement what he's learned.

Now in tournament golf I've seen the anxiety of some dad's which are making these big investments in clubs, lessons, tournament fees and such only to watch bogeys or double bogeys, 3 putts, etc and look like they're about to go ballistic. One dad recently told me that his son was regressing to his dismay because he's not consistently breaking par yet and putting terribly. He capped it off with I'm spending so much money and I'm not sure at this rate that he can turn pro. I look at him and remember the first tournament his kid played in a couple of years back and the anxiety the dad had when his son hit a bad shot and realize that after 2 years, his son is much better, but he still has that anxiety over every shot and putt like the results will somehow determine his boy's ability to turn pro.

My son has won some tournaments and came in close to last in others. After his 1st year of tournaments I came to realize that winning was something I never looked for, I was more concerned with the process. Was he getting better at 1 thing or another along the way. Was he outgrowing his equipment, etc. Was he learning from mistakes, adapting to situations and conditions. Was he enjoying himself. I watch parents over the years keeping score, taking notes, analyzing every shot and putt.

In the end, despite all the efforts of the dad, it's the kid that has to decide what to do, make the shot and adapt.

The TV show is what it is, it would be boring if they showed each dad doing sensible reasonable things. Drama sells, even at the expense of the kids.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1428123326' post='11280695']
Bryce's dad was no doubt the biggest asshat on the show, but junior golf is indeed an investment if you're doing it with a college scholarship in mind. In our case we spent college money on junior golf in hopes our daughter would get a scholarship. Of course we would have found a way to get her the education she wanted even if it hadn't worked out, and we never pressured her to perform so we would "get our money's worth". But it's in the back of your mind. At least in our income bracket it was. It worked in our case. The return was probably much better than we would have gotten in an education fund. But it's much easier for girls, and she didn't start until 11-12.

But, man, that guy yelling at that poor little boy telling him what a disappointment he is was criminal.
[/quote]

I agree with you. My daughter is 16 and it is an investment for a college scholarship to save me money in the long run.

The problem is he is talking about an 8 year being an investment. My 9 year old son is really good, but he isn't an investment. I look at it the same as him playing Little League Baseball or Pop Warner Football. It is for the fun of it.

So I take my son down to the US Kids tour this past weekend in Miami. The same tour Morgan, Chloe, and Bryce play on.

The first thing we saw was Morgan's parents setting up a tent. Yep, they were selling their kids products under a tent. I wish I would have taken a pitcure. Definitely used the show to try and exploit a business future. I was laughing. My son said "Who would want to buy something from people that act like them?" They had polo's, skirts, jewelery, and other crap. I don't think they sold a thing all day.

Bryce didn't play, but he and his dad were there at the end of the day. I guess they were hanging out to pump their chest that they were on TV. The dad definitley carried himself the way the TV show protrayed him.

You see a lot of the parents out there teeing it up for the kids. They stand behind them and line them up. They get on the greens and even line the ball up for them. I laugh and wonder "What will the kids do when they don't have daddy there to think for them." I let my son play and we have a great time. Get a distance talk about the wind and we decide on the club. I then step away. I am not teeing it up or lining him up. I want him to be able to play golf without me. Shoot, he is better than me. I won't line him up on the greens either. I will make him tell me about the putt, speed, and break then let him putt it on his own. The parents are more concerned with how the kids perform than they are. The kids are 9 and 10 years old. Their future is not going to be determined now, it is how they play when they are 13-17.

That's just gross. How did Morgan place by the way? I don't even get these families.. Out of curiosity I googled the kids to see who had websites and of course Morgan did, as well as Awesome and I can't remember which others did.

There was a girl from northern California, Casie Cathrea who had a lunatic dad like some of these, she was a very talented player, played in some LPGA events while in high school but her dad completely messed her up and by her freshman year of college (she quit her college team)she had severed herself from her family entirely, basically hates them, quit golf and is working at a fast food restaurant. There is a blog her dad wrote that is just disgusting as it is all very negative toward his daughter. The whole family is a mess.

here is the blog http://www.mygolfdaddy.com/Blog/

I wonder what the AJGA thinks of all of this or if they know the extent of this garbage. Seems to me they could put a stop to this immediately. I'd penalize Bryant every time he slammed his club, and Awesome very time is dad dropped the F bomb, and if you make your kid cry, you're outta there!

I have to admit, I'd get P!ssed every time I'd watch, but I'd keep watching. We love Chloe, best attitude ever!

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1428334143' post='11294287']
That's just gross. How did Morgan place by the way? I don't even get these families.. Out of curiosity I googled the kids to see who had websites and of course Morgan did, as well as Awesome and I can't remember which others did.
[/quote]

Awesome's parents even set up a gofundme page asking for donations for Awesome's golf expenses.

The AJGA and US Kids do not have any sort of connection and those kids are really too young for AJGA at this point.
Another tidbit on the Cathrea family, they were on wife swap..remember that show? The wife that came into the Cathrea house was disgusted at how everything revolved around the daughters golf while the son was basically ignored, this was years ago but it just was another attention seeking maneuver.