Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @DevilDog said:

> Well, my 15 year old son, a scratch player already, has discovered the joy of blades. He has confiscated my cherished MP 33s. Loves them. Says turf interaction and distance control is far superior to his Apex CF 16 irons. Looks like I am going to be hunting another quality set. I'm sure he will confiscate those too. Any other blades he should try?

definitely need to try MP-4 and maybe if you can find some j15MB

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

• Like 3

> @BladesCGX said:

> I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too!

Clay Long personal? if they are... (hell, either way) damn...

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > @BladesCGX said:

> > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too!

>

> Clay Long personal? if they are... (****, either way) ****...

>

>

The thing is... I don't know.

I have been researching a lot the last weeks.

I am as good as certain that they aren't part of a regular macgregor line. Some people on other forums said they might be Don White personal grind. But I contacted national customworks and they said because because they aren't stamped DW it probably isn't him. But then again I found threads on this forum saying they had unstamped irons by him.

So I still hope to find more info on them. Especially about when these were made.

Today on the driving range I hit them crazy far (for me at least, and the range balls are pretty bad) so their really good as far as I can tell.

> @BladesCGX said:

> I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

> q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

> pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

> 80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

>

I got a 2i for that set practically brand new sitting in my garage rotting away. Always loved that collection of Macgregor's

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

> >

> > Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

>

> I never considered my P790 blades, fwiw. Who cares? Play what you like!

>

>

Looking to try those new Honma TW-X irons. If I do, I'll give you a shout and we can meet up in LB and smack that set of hollow driving irons around :)

• Like 1

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @BladesCGX said:

> > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

> > q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

> > pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

> > 80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

> >

>

> I got a 2i for that set practically brand new sitting in my garage rotting away. Always loved that collection of Macgregor's

Wow cool, when searching images I could only find one picture looking like these. Do you know where/when that 2i is from?

> @BladesCGX said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > > @BladesCGX said:

> > > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

> > > q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

> > > pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

> > > 80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

> > >

> >

> > I got a 2i for that set practically brand new sitting in my garage rotting away. Always loved that collection of Macgregor's

>

> Wow cool, when searching images I could only find one picture looking like these. Do you know where/when that 2i is from?

I plucked it from an old timer in Palm Springs some time ago. I'm not 100% sure what year it is. Has to be early 90's. bi1b4o8878ip.jpg

1caheccob5e1.jpg

ndk4g00e7ww2.jpg

> @BladesCGX said:

> I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

> q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

> pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

> 80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

>

Very cool irons. They do look to be from the late 80’s through the mid 90’s maybe. I see you are in The Netherlands so perhaps they were a Europe or Japan release as I’ve never seen them before and the aren’t listed in the Jim Kaplan Macgregor History/Catalog book.

What is stamped on the hosel?

> > @BladesCGX said:

> > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too!

>

> Clay Long personal? if they are... (****, either way) ****...

>

>

I think you're right, C_T_S. That gouge in the back near the hosel, like the one on the Wilson Bulletbacks, is the giveaway.

Were they a Japan-only release? Maybe.

They were a Japan only design - the Clay longs. Reading from his instagram page, it says 2500 sets only. Not sure if they were all done by Don White, that's gonna be hard to know.

I have a real enigma of my own. I hit those MR23s too damn well. Like, maybe there's no other club I can hit as well as them, good. I finally feel really set for irons, but I am also looking at maybe putting some MR23 blades in the bag from 7-PW or something. Or, I might go with Tourstage 909s. I seem to get on really well with Bridgestone (Tourstage irons). Gonna have to give the blades a go.

Either way, i am on the search for a new Driver, 4-wood and set of wedges. Probably have two months before I get out again. It's gonna start getting roasting hot soon, and i'm going to spend as much time in front of large bodies of water as I can.

There was a set of MR23 blades on Yahoo! recently. Just under 20,000 yen, IIRC. Really nice looking iron, so I was tempted to have a punt but managed to stop myself. An MR23 combo set could be interesting, if you have the blades as well.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you, what are the Proismes like to play? Don't they have a fair bit of offset in the short irons?

> @deejaid said:

> > @BladesCGX said:

> > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too0coaq2yacmrq.jpg

> > q4jjq7xb0bce.jpg

> > pvkv3ymn66j2.jpg

> > 80cnqycgcu8b.jpg

> >

>

>

> Very cool irons. They do look to be from the late 80’s through the mid 90’s maybe. I see you are in The Netherlands so perhaps they were a Europe or Japan release as I’ve never seen them before and the aren’t listed in the Jim Kaplan Macgregor History/Catalog book.

>

> What is stamped on the hosel?

On the hosel it says "forged lb"

> @Kingcat990 said:

> Thats some crazy beautiful photos. Is it permanent 90° rule? Or does nobody golf there?

All of the carts are on a track. You operate them remotely. This course doesn't see a whole lot of traffic I gather. It was everyone in my groups first time playing there and I think everyone wants to go back.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> That is a nice looking course. The fairways look perfect.

They were maybe the nicest I've played on in my life. I kept the ball in play nicely too. Hit 15 greens. The one I missed on the back nine, I thought I hit too, but it came up just short. Basically hit one weak iron shot all day. The fairways definitely factored in.

> @Jonesy said:

> That internal OB is just crazy... course looks in great condition though!

Japanese courses have it all over the place. Sometimes it's to prevent people from going into steep-sided forests where there might be poisonous snakes (many, if not most, Japanese courses were carved out of the mountains), but often it's just to speed up play by preventing players from venturing into a neighbouring fairway to hit. I've had a couple of OBs this year that have really rankled because I just hit into the normal rough between holes and could have easily hit my second shot (sight-line to green) without slowing up play. But, hey, internal OB!

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > That is a nice looking course. The fairways look perfect.

> They were maybe the nicest I've played on in my life. I kept the ball in play nicely too. Hit 15 greens. The one I missed on the back nine, I thought I hit too, but it came up just short. Basically hit one weak iron shot all day. The fairways definitely factored in.

Certainly better hitting off them than from the bare or sandy lies you can find at some courses around here.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> This is pretty cool. Looks like Piretti subcontracted Fuji to attempt a one length blade set.

>

> https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163743098007

257g is very light for single length irons, unless your single length is 38" or so.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors