Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 3/22/2024 at 6:30 AM, craz-e said:

Well it’s been awhile since I have had anything worthy of adding to this my favourite thread, but behold my new golf bats have finally arrived!

For the first time in my golfing life I went for a full bag fitting at something other than a “demo day”.

I finally bit the bullet and booked in with Club Champion in Brisbane (Australia). I have to say the fitter on the day, even though he was just a young pup, did a great job. I even said I am a blade user but if something works better I am happy to change. After hitting every iron under the sun, he stated that for me a blade just works, dispersion is tighter, everything more consistent, happy days!

Now the fun part and deciding on what blade is the better option, and there are so many good options out there. There were a few stand outs for me. The PXG blade, the Ping Blueprint T and the Miura KM 700.

In the end the Miura edged it for consistency and pure enjoyment from hitting it.

I had a great full day fitting, yes my fingers were bleeding by the end of it after hitting over 600 balls but I loved it and it’s nice to be able to tick off the full bag fitting I have always wanted.

Photos are of the 7 iron after unboxing.

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3636.jpeg

Oh man, those are SO gorgeous!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Well Doc looked at MRI and said,"eh, real gray". It's a 100% tear of labrum tendon, bad news is he might not be able to do anything at all or it might at best get me 75% partial repair (that works) but he won't know until he yanks on tendon. The good news is I picked up a club and swung 80% power and it's fine, I can actually swing a club. Woohoo! So I'm going after it, going to play & practice, then do the surgery in late May. Full rehab moved from 4 months to 8 months, no matter outcome. So I'm freaking playing till that point.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Nard

• Like 4

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Thank you appreciate it, good luck with new sticks, now we will need a full review here.

hopefully will get out a couple of times over the Easter weekend. Weather has been shocking here so haven’t even had an option of heading to the range as it’s been closed 

• Like 2

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

On 3/27/2024 at 6:40 PM, craz-e said:

hopefully will get out a couple of times over the Easter weekend. Weather has been shocking here so haven’t even had an option of heading to the range as it’s been closed 

My usual has been flooded out like 3 or 4 times this winter. It usually happens only once or twice. It reopens Saturday and I hope to be first out. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Any thoughts on 690mb vs MP32?  I've had the 32s for several years and love them.  I picked up a 6-9 set of 690mbs recently and have hit them only at the range off of mats.  They feel very similar, although the top line on the 32s seems a hair larger and the sole of the 32s is a bit wider.  I guess I need to hit them both off of grass to compare properly.  MP32 on left in both pics. 

image.jpeg.9d6dc10ccd6c8a45f9a53ffe7f167c11.jpegimage.jpeg.293dbc9feed0755f3852a2e483192906.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Any thoughts on 690mb vs MP32?  I've had the 32s for several years and love them.  I picked up a 6-9 set of 690mbs recently and have hit them only at the range off of mats.  They feel very similar, although the top line on the 32s seems a hair larger and the sole of the 32s is a bit wider.  I guess I need to hit them both off of grass to compare properly.  MP32 on left in both pics. 

image.jpeg.9d6dc10ccd6c8a45f9a53ffe7f167c11.jpegimage.jpeg.293dbc9feed0755f3852a2e483192906.jpeg

I much prefer the top line and sole of the 690 MB from your photos, pleas keep us posted on your thoughts as you get to hit them more, especially off grass. 

• Like 1

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 8:09 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

I don't have a set of 690's, but they look very similar in topline and sole to the Mizuno MP33's which I have.  If I hadn't hit either I would have expected to prefer the thinner topline and sole.  I do like the look of the thinner topline.  But, I have never gotten along with the 33's. I have a set of 37's that are similar to the 32’s in the tooline and sole. They. continually find their way back into my bag.  Not sure what the difference is.  I also have MP14's, 33's and prefer the 37’s to them as well.  I Would recommend hanging on to your 32's even if you like the 690's.  Having said all that, the 690's are on my must have list.  I will eventually pick up a set.  

Edited by Joe S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe S said:

I don't have a set of 690's, but they look very similar in topline and sole to the Mizuno MP33's which I have.  If I hadn't hit either I would have expected to prefer the thinner topline and sole.  I do like the look of the thinner topline.  But, I have never gotten along with the 33's. I have a set of 37's that are similar to the 32’s in the tooline and sole. They. continually find their way back into my bag.  Not sure what the difference is.  I also have MP14's, 33's and prefer the 37’s to them as well.  I Would recommend hanging on to your 32's even if you like the 690's.  Having said all that, the 690's are on my must have list.  I will eventually pick up a set.  

Thanks, Joe.  I am definitely holding onto the 32s -- they are fantastic.  I don't think I have hit the 33s, but I've been curious about them. 

Edited by Oh Hi Carl

I'm hitting range and might play Sunday. I can pitch & chip not sure on full swing, seems I'll be doing compact 3/4 swings. I have no choice ,lol. May switch to old Hogan 99's or may do TM TP's. The T's are great irons but they are more demanding than most others.

When healthy, contemplate a two driver setup, a bigger, lower spin one and a shorter shafted, smaller fairway finder, a #2, then #4W. Live with long irons for rest. #5W has never panned for me. This all fits my course better. 

• Like 4

Checking in, made my return to golf about 2.5 years ago, experimented with some T100s, then went to TC201 from Miura, but the heart wants what it wants

I've settled into the MC502, there's just no feeling like it. It definitely is a "modern" blade in the sense that it is quite forgiving on mishits and not nearly as punishing as it looks

It's counterintuitive, but I've personally always played better with clubs that require that you hit the center of the face. My swing becomes more controlled I guess, or I am more focused on a good impact, but having the "freedom" to mishit the ball a little has always worked backwards for me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mvvraz said:

Checking in, made my return to golf about 2.5 years ago, experimented with some T100s, then went to TC201 from Miura, but the heart wants what it wants

I've settled into the MC502, there's just no feeling like it. It definitely is a "modern" blade in the sense that it is quite forgiving on mishits and not nearly as punishing as it looks

It's counterintuitive, but I've personally always played better with clubs that require that you hit the center of the face. My swing becomes more controlled I guess, or I am more focused on a good impact, but having the "freedom" to mishit the ball a little has always worked backwards for me

Ooh Miura MC 502 are nice!, please post some pics and thoughts on them 

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

3 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Agree Lol. Looking forward to today  Not afraid of blades. For me I’m lucky I guess because the back 9 of my course is in my backyard literally so to able to go out with a Sunday bag and have fun is easy.   Really looking for the best feeling blade for me here.  We shall see.  Thank you

Spend as much effort on shaft/head combo as anything else. The reasoning some clubs are in my bag and some are not is precisely because of that.

MB's are on another level for that. Clubs w/ MOI can tolerate near fits better for obvious reasons. The less  obvious is that launch & spin window are different. Basic overall weight is a window that is key too..

Edited by Nard_S
To flesh out view.
  • Like 2

I’m tired.  Lol.  The miuras were beautiful looking and feeling.  Fitter kept mentioning how the K’s leading edge and trails edge goes through w good turf interaction.   This is going to take longer than I thought.   Going to hit local pga superstore so I can demo Titleist mb and the the mizunos before making decision.  Again, I’m only looking for 7-PW in a blade.  The miuras though I mean wow.  You guys know the deal here.  You hit it pure and it’s like oh my God as soon as you hit it a little off ouch, and then you think about it.    I honestly wish there was a way to take all of these blades out on the course in the middle of a fairway. One club each and just hit like five shots each club and narrow it down that way because when you hit off a mat it’s kind of tough to get the real feel of what it’s gonna be like out on the course.   

• Like 3

Walked 18 yesterday and scoring was horrible but did have some nice pokes & holes. I'm rather inflexible with 6 month layoff of swinging. Used the trustyMaruman SX set. Really solid MB's to play with. Mine have descending weight in S400U, always wonder why that option is not more popular. 

Got a Coolshot laser for Xmas, on 3 shots was very helpful to nail approaches, the confidence of exacting distance allows a better pass. Conditions were cold,wet & windy, real time numbers made shot selection much easier. Interesting, shot selection was more creative & flexible with added tech, funny, usually it's feels like tech does the opposite. 

The big liability in swing is hip movement, I collapse lead into ball line, it's way too undisciplined so it gets tough to clear properly. With a shorter swing, this is amplified. Been an over swinger with a flip forever, fully figured out steep and flips parts, but hip work remains weakest link. Lower hands demand more efficiency on hip paths,. it's hard to do something more simply, to redirect things to more efficient paths. Harder to do full turn while keeping lower half stable and poised to fire through. So I get lazy and wind up all out of sorts and then rely on razor edge timing. Path is pretty clear, where I need work. Fun to play again, great to know no matter where shoulder ends up, I can still be a kid and chase a ball.

• Like 2

Cross posting from a Ram thread in the classic folders....

Took some old friends out on the course yesterday, thought this thread would be the place to share it. 🙂

I've been playing my Vibration Matched Golden Rams so far this year.  Was feeling like playing with one of my other sets, finally decided on my TW282 set,  I have them shafted with Aldila RIP Tour 115 in regular, which is still pretty stiff.  And...  I brought the 1 iron with me, went full set 1-pw.  Sand wedge was the late 90s Ram TG 56* that I'd shafted with NV105, and used with my TW276 set.

Yesterday's round was similar to most other times when I'd switch cold to the TW282.  The *very* square toe is a bit off putting at first, even for a long time Ram guy, and the clubheads appear a bit larger and/or taller than the Vibration Matched or TW276 sets.  When I switch to larger clubheads I tend to hit them fat until until can adjust, and yesterday was more of that, a number of fat shots on the front 9.  Shot a scrubby little bogey golf front nine, with my TM-2 saving me from worse.

Somehow on hole 10, made the the mental adjustment and stopped hitting the ball fat.  Actually chipped in on #10 for bird, went 6/8 on GIR the rest of the way.  Couldn't make any putts though, so I finished +1 on the back.

The highlight of the round wasn't the birdie, though.  The back nine has several holes where driver isn't the play off the tee, even the lone par 5 on the back, and we have a 196 yd par 3.  This is where the 1 iron came into play.  I hit it 4 times, and hit it fairly well each of those 4 times.  The long par 3 played into the wind, had to hit the 1i there, and nearly jarred the damm thing (did not make the 15 foot putt).  (sorry for the brag, but I was a little jacked after that one; still am, honestly)

All in all, it was great fun.  Gives me a taste for more 1-pw action.  😁

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The long par 3 played into the wind, had to hit the 1i there, and nearly jarred the damm thing (did not make the 15 foot putt).  (sorry for the brag, but I was a little jacked after that one; still am, honestly)

Not a brag at all. When working long irons are a great asset. Mine get bridesmaid treatment. Practice below them and above them, it shows too. 

• Like 2