Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

51 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Was wondering. Do you guys twist or knock head to loosen off? Because  I've found on steel at least,l  heat it and torque it and it decouples much easier. Maybe that cannot be done on graphite? Would not know.

Twisting is totally OK with steel, it's how I also do it.  However, it's 0% ok for graphite, a sure fire way to ruin the shaft.

Hence all the shaft puller commentary around WRX   🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Happy new years crew!

I am getting over probably Covid again and I am just now (day before) probably ok enough to go to work so I haven’t worked on my game as intended this break, but I have made about 60 swings with the sim off in bay just to feel the shaft changes.

As expected:  I’m stoked about the 57s.  I don’t know why I didn’t like them with the roddios but they feel right with the 950r in them now.  I’m still take or leave them, but no reason this isn’t the set to start next year with as my new/old cb set for 2024.  My tradition is always starting a year with cbs then at some point in 2-4 rounds I move to blades and stay there once I’m playing rounds again and hitting the ball.

The golds factory set:   This had no expectations, I’m sure the heads are a decent forging but they have more of a Himeji firmness to them than an endo feel.   The trpx graphite really brought out this head.  Now the 125x that were in them is not for me, at all, so any step down would have helped, but the graphite deadens the firmness and greatly changed how these guys feel.   If they don’t balloon, this is a viable set for sure now, they feel more like a cb than the 57s and I can’t rule out these guys early in the season either.  I’m still cautiously optimistic here and if the flight is good they should be unexpectedly solid.   Really changed the heads completely for better, unlike the roddios that changed the 57s for the worse I think.  

• Like 3

Hope our fellow blade players in Japan were not caught up in that earthquake. Do us a favor and check in so we know you're all alright. 

Hope you get over that respiratory stuff Biggy. I had it a few days before christmas and rolled into Christmas morning with a nasty fever. 

Happy 2024 everyone. Have no new blades to look forward to. Feel like my game has plateaued. Just trying to keep driver more in play and working on wedges. Tired of my wedge shots rolling well past the stick

• Like 4

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I guess it's a good thing I'm lefty because I would buy the most random crap. If these played well I would rock the hell out of these. 🤣 

96d939456d4cb5ba4cc9b0e8b36ab055.webp

<edit> maybe I can find a cool skull stamp and go nuts on my Haywood's.

And done. 

Screenshot_20240102-125424.png

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Happy New Years, all!

@Bigmean Sorry to hear that you had COVID, but I'm glad to hear that you're getting over it! Also, loved that the shaft pulling went so well for you, that's awesome!!!

On 1/1/2024 at 9:09 PM, Kingcat990 said:

....working on wedges. Tired of my wedge shots rolling well past the stick

@Kingcat990 what do you use to keep your clubs clean? I ask, because I had that problem for awhile before picking up one of these - GroveIt Club Cleaner and it's been like a night and day difference. I bought one for everyone in my family who plays golf for christmas

• Like 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:09 AM, Kingcat990 said:

Hope our fellow blade players in Japan were not caught up in that earthquake. Do us a favor and check in so we know you're all alright. 

Hope you get over that respiratory stuff Biggy. I had it a few days before christmas and rolled into Christmas morning with a nasty fever. 

Happy 2024 everyone. Have no new blades to look forward to. Feel like my game has plateaued. Just trying to keep driver more in play and working on wedges. Tired of my wedge shots rolling well past the stick

Didn't feel a thing where I am, but based on where he is, I imagine @Christen_The_Sloop would have felt some tremors. Don't think there are any WRXers in Ishikawa, let alone the Noto Peninsula, but if so, I hope they're alright.

The death toll in Ishikawa is 64, and they are nowhere near finished counting. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Didn't feel a thing where I am, but based on where he is, I imagine @Christen_The_Sloop would have felt some tremors. Don't think there are any WRXers in Ishikawa, let alone the Noto Peninsula, but if so, I hope they're alright.

The death toll in Ishikawa is 64, and they are nowhere near finished counting. 

My wife was downstairs and she said she felt something (probably the big one). I didn't feel anything. We get a few a year that give the house a little shake... Where it happened is an interesting part of the country. Lots of hot springs, formerly quite rich and near where they get enormous dumps of snow...

As it happens, I'll be flying over you again NCN. Going to Okinawa for a few days later this month. Going to play - Chura Orchard golf club. It looks like an older style course, but it's right next to the ocean and we have an early time on the Sunday morning...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

My wife was downstairs and she said she felt something (probably the big one). I didn't feel anything. We get a few a year that give the house a little shake... Where it happened is an interesting part of the country. Lots of hot springs, formerly quite rich and near where they get enormous dumps of snow...

As it happens, I'll be flying over you again NCN. Going to Okinawa for a few days later this month. Going to play - Chura Orchard golf club. It looks like an older style course, but it's right next to the ocean and we have an early time on the Sunday morning...

Some of my friends played Chura Orchard a couple of years ago. They said it was pretty tight, and windy to boot. They played in November. I think if you're going to go for Okinawa for golf, January or February is better than November, as November is one of the best times to play here in Kyushu (and I assume Kansai as well). Not too hot, but with a bit of luck still warm enough for a short-sleeved shirt.

Anyway, have fun. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:02 AM, lefthack said:

I guess it's a good thing I'm lefty because I would buy the most random crap. If these played well I would rock the hell out of these. 🤣 

96d939456d4cb5ba4cc9b0e8b36ab055.webp

<edit> maybe I can find a cool skull stamp and go nuts on my Haywood's.

And done. 

Screenshot_20240102-125424.png

I’m pretty sure calong is some serious  Chinese Ali express quality of club, but that is just my take from their putters being cheap and constantly sitting on auction.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

I’m pretty sure calong is some serious  Chinese Ali express quality of club, but that is just my take from their putters being cheap and constantly sitting on auction.   

It's supposed to be a forged blade, so how bad could it be? 🤣 

Granted, it could still be horrible, but I think they were like $450 for the set. If they had lefties, I would almost have to just to try. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

22 hours ago, Moarbutter said:

Happy New Years, all!

@Bigmean Sorry to hear that you had COVID, but I'm glad to hear that you're getting over it! Also, loved that the shaft pulling went so well for you, that's awesome!!!

@Kingcat990 what do you use to keep your clubs clean? I ask, because I had that problem for awhile before picking up one of these - GroveIt Club Cleaner and it's been like a night and day difference. I bought one for everyone in my family who plays golf for christmas

I use a microfiber damp towel and a nylon brush similar to that. My problem is I only know how to accelerate when I start my downswing. Drives my golfing partners nuts. No finesse. I was green side on all 4 par 5's last week and walked away with 1 par, 2 bogeys, and a double bogey. I had to chip on all 4 times. Made me want to walk off the course and onto the freeway. 

16 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Glad to hear you guys are alright and were out of the way of it. 

• Like 2

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I washed up some clubs laying around using a citrus based cleaner.

The chrome really glistens with it. Surprised by it a bit.

Looks like I'm heading for shoulder surgery in coming months. I cannot lift right arm more than 30-40 degrees. Been 7 weeks since I smashed it. Dr. & MRI are on docket. Probably a torn Labrum, might be 6 months before I swing again, that's the sunny forecast.

• Sad 7

30 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I washed up some clubs laying around using a citrus based cleaner.

The chrome really glistens with it. Surprised by it a bit.

Looks like I'm heading for shoulder surgery in coming months. I cannot lift right arm more than 30-40 degrees. Been 7 weeks since I smashed it. Dr. & MRI are on docket. Probably a torn Labrum, might be 6 months before I swing again, that's the sunny forecast.

Well wishes to ya!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

Well wishes to ya!

Thank you, I've alreadyblown both shoulders, so have some experience rehabbing but this one is a bit different, Hoped it was a strain but after 4 weeks knew it was more. Probably take a month for Dr. to tell me true status and course recommended. It blows but I'll do what's needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Thank you, I've alreadyblown both shoulders, so have some experience rehabbing but this one is a bit different, Hoped it was a strain but after 4 weeks knew it was more. Probably take a month for Dr. to tell me true status and course recommended. It blows but I'll do what's needed. 

Had a shoulder badly dislocated years ago from a MX injury, it definitely blows. Came in from my 28 day hitch afloat on Sunday and have a surgery next Monday to remove a cyst on my right middle finger that keeps coming back. Least the weather is supposed to get nasty bout midweek in these parts. Might try and sneak off Sunday, 50 and no wind called for, if not, oh well. Least the BOSS happy I can help get some of her chores completed 🤔🤣

10 hours ago, boggyman said:

Had a shoulder badly dislocated years ago from a MX injury, it definitely blows. Came in from my 28 day hitch afloat on Sunday and have a surgery next Monday to remove a cyst on my right middle finger that keeps coming back. Least the weather is supposed to get nasty bout midweek in these parts. Might try and sneak off Sunday, 50 and no wind called for, if not, oh well. Least the BOSS happy I can help get some of her chores completed 🤔🤣

The only thing that has kept shoulder pain at bay for the last 20 years has been gym work and doing little weights targeted at rotator muscles. I stop those I'm in pain. This injury was hoping I could P.T. to health, but that's bridge too far.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chazpet said:

Built my first set of irons, and I’m happy to report they are blades and they play as good as they look! Been busy so still have to turn down a few ferrules… anyway I’ve gamed them twice and they’re officially in the bag for 2024. Only gaming 3i-9i but I do have the 2i and 10 & 11 irons…

They have a bit of reverse offset which I didn’t know about, but honestly not hating it at all. Have to go in for a gapping to check yardages, the 9i is 44° and I’m playing a 50° PW so some of the offset may be reduced there.

Mizuno Craft Model 911

BB&F co Scarlett & Silver (new red)

DG TI x100 SSx1

Sugarloaf cord grips

IMG_6459.jpeg

Early candidate for post of the year right here, folks. The craft models are one of the few sets remaining I'd really like to swing, either these or the 893s.

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop
  • Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 8:09 PM, Nard_S said:

Damn Nard.  I mean better going into it a veteran but also not the thing you want to be a veteran with.  I hope it all goes well and the rehab has few setbacks!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chazpet said:

@Christen_The_Sloop thank you for the kind words, and even better movie reference.

Oh he is right, custom build with that set.  Really awesome man!

I would have to say CTS is easily the resident Mizuno expert here.  I spent 2 min zoomed in on your pic trying to understand what those even were.  I don’t recall ever seeing that model and I spend a lot of time doom scrolling Japanese auctions……

I don’t know anything about that set, but those have crazy good lines to them.  Great build, awesome set!

18 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

Oh he is right, custom build with that set.  Really awesome man!

I would have to say CTS is easily the resident Mizuno expert here.  I spent 2 min zoomed in on your pic trying to understand what those even were.  I don’t recall ever seeing that model and I spend a lot of time doom scrolling Japanese auctions……

I don’t know anything about that set, but those have crazy good lines to them.  Great build, awesome set!

Here are the two places I have found some good info, it ain’t much but got an idea for what the history is behind them.

https://mizunoforum.com/threads/i-think-i-have-the-rarest-mizuno-pro-irons-ever-made.27345/

https://mizunotp.tech.blog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chazpet said:

Here are the two places I have found some good info, it ain’t much but got an idea for what the history is behind them.

https://mizunoforum.com/threads/i-think-i-have-the-rarest-mizuno-pro-irons-ever-made.27345/

https://mizunotp.tech.blog

You are giving away my secrets! Shhhhhhh!

I'm hardly an expert on Mizuno. It's another of the brands I couldn't afford as a junior golfer that I aspired to have and when I got back to golf living here in Japan just began seeing in local shops and finally online... I've got the MS-203, TT-89, MS-801 and MP-4. Had the TN-87, MS-1, MS-3 and I'm always on the look out... Honestly nothing looks or feels better than the TN-87 except for the reverse offset they'd probably still have a home. The Faldo design 203 are probably next. The JP version, satin with painted grooves were the height of Bubble Japan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

You are giving away my secrets! Shhhhhhh!

I'm hardly an expert on Mizuno. It's another of the brands I couldn't afford as a junior golfer that I aspired to have and when I got back to golf living here in Japan just began seeing in local shops and finally online... I've got the MS-203, TT-89, MS-801 and MP-4. Had the TN-87, MS-1, MS-3 and I'm always on the look out... Honestly nothing looks or feels better than the TN-87 except for the reverse offset they'd probably still have a home. The Faldo design 203 are probably next. The JP version, satin with painted grooves were the height of Bubble Japan.

Thats an awesome group of blades! How are the TT-89s? Not a lot of info on the TTs out there…

Do the 203s have standard offset progression that you like them better?

On 1/6/2024 at 6:38 AM, Bigmean said:

Damn Nard.  I mean better going into it a veteran but also not the thing you want to be a veteran with.  I hope it all goes well and the rehab has few setbacks!

Thanks BM, I know you have challenges on injuries too and hope that is going well. You're back and that's a great sign. I'll get this resolved, have a good doctor that repaired my son's knee to 100% from a congenital flaw where part of his kneecap was floating around. So I'm optimistic but it will take time and attention. If nothing else my short game will be A# going into my 1st round back, lol. 

• Like 2