Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

On 3/6/2024 at 6:54 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

How on earth did you pick up so much clubhead speed over such a short time frame? 

Mind you, I think I lost that much over the same time frame last year, so I know it's possible...

It's because I've come back to the game after 20 years off, so it was all building my swing from scratch and constant improvements. Tons and tons of time both on the range and in front of cameras in a sim with instruction, doing some kind of work on my swing for more than an hour at least 3-4 times per week from essentially January - late November of last year; but it was all the easy yards that come with learning proper sequencing, building a proper swing, etc. There's no way that I'll ever be able to get that much of an improvement in swing speed again

Edited by Moarbutter
  • Like 1

Small 986 Tour update...

I have been taking to the course the 7i and 9i that already have Modus 105 shafts in them, hitting them when the appropriate shot appears.  And, occasionally even when it's not quite right, LOL.  I'm finding the 105g shaft weight nicer than the 95g shaft weight in the Purefit blades ive been using in my recent rounds. 

Hitting them has been rather lovely, actually, I appear to be getting a bit more distance with them, loft for loft, than with the Purefit blades.

With the weather here seeming as though our season will be starting sooner than last year, I need to find the time to finish the job.  😁

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

These are still available, I am disappointed.l in you righties.

https://fairwayjockey.com/products/miura-as-1-custom-irons

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

At $3750, I'm happy to disappoint. 🙂

Yeah, that is a big ask, but they look really good.  🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

20 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

The most I ever spent on iron set is $1750. Do I think they were worth it, yeah but for $4K, really small chance I would even consider it.

Same girl, same. Actually the most I've spent on a set of irons was $750, so there is that.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Same girl, same. Actually the most I've spent on a set of irons was $750, so there is that.

My best buys on irons were $350 to $450, only have three sets that cost over $1K to acquire. Have more than 20 sets in lower range. Hey, there could be worse things to collect. If  I had a do over, might do only 8 sets total. Will be selling many but the expensive ones stay.

• Like 2

I've never had more than 3 sets at any one time. But I think over '22 I had at least a dozen total. I was way out of control, but I also got to hit most everything I wanted to.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Oh man, do I need to catch up, I only have 3 sets right now. My next big present to myself is going to either be a set of Miura SB-01 (if I can ever find them) or the OG BB 1957s, but I need to have some big personal achievement first to be able to justify that price tag for a set. Am definitely thinking about some Apex '99 in the meantime, though.

Pretty nice GN Signatures at decent price on the Flea:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156124481980?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=2b3e48e79e464b6d97c6cbf518354573&bu=43129602754&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240318084613&segname=11021

Serious blades, both good and bad, guy's advertising they are S400's, only #1 iron is, the rest are S300 descending weight. Non "tour " stamped in those too, which is not a bad thing, but this popped up on my ebay. If I'm swinging well I really liked mine, beautifully built by Don White too.

In other news, I will not be swinging a golf club till Fall. Will spend next 6 months on putting green though. Have a full tear in shoulder, going for surgery in May, so may actually do some builds. The Koyei heads, 962B's are priority for that. S400 & dowels for both. Have many shaft sets to mate to other sets, have Precision 6.5's, Rifles too and even $-Tapers & Shimada shafts to tinker with.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156124481980?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=2b3e48e79e464b6d97c6cbf518354573&bu=43129602754&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240318084613&segname=11021

Serious blades, both good and bad, guy's advertising they are S400's, only #1 iron is, the rest are S300 descending weight. Non "tour " stamped in those too, which is not a bad thing, but this popped up on my ebay. If I'm swinging well I really liked mine, beautifully built by Don White too.

In other news, I will not be swinging a golf club till Fall. Will spend next 6 months on putting green though. Have a full tear in shoulder, going for surgery in May, so may actually do some builds. The Koyei heads, 962B's are priority for that. S400 & dowels for both. Have many shaft sets to mate to other sets, have Precision 6.5's, Rifles too and even $-Tapers & Shimada shafts to tinker with.

Hope you heal fast and get back out!  Fairways and greens!!

• Like 2

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

14 minutes ago, tomc262 said:

Hope you heal fast and get back out!  Fairways and greens!!

Thank you, appreciate it. I still have one more consultation, doc wants to make sure procedure is workable. Apparently past shoulder damage can kill possibility that laser fixes things but right now likely he can do it. 1 month in sling then 4 months of PT to full recovery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Thank you, appreciate it. I still have one more consultation, doc wants to make sure procedure is workable. Apparently past shoulder damage can kill possibility that laser fixes things but right now likely he can do it. 1 month in sling then 4 months of PT to full recovery.

I’m sorry to read that news. I go in for ACL surgery on my right knee this week.  Tore it on a trampoline at my kids bday party.  I will also be putting for the majority of this season. Hopefully swinging at full speed in about 6 months. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Like 3

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

36 minutes ago, NixLix26 said:

I’m sorry to read that news. I go in for ACL surgery on my right knee this week.  Tore it on a trampoline at my kids bday party.  I will also be putting for the majority of this season. Hopefully swinging at full speed in about 6 months. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Thank you, best of luck to you as well. Injuries suck, don't they, lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I had a great round yesterday with this bag - a solid 75 to bring my index down by 0.5 to 4.5. Would have been special if not for a missed 9’ birdie putt on 17 and a messy double on the last. You can play your best with older irons! And woods … and putters …

IMG_6032.jpeg.c30d660171c0ef98e4f898de9b5265a9.jpeg

Two of my best three rounds over the last couple of years have been with these MacGregors. They should be harder to hit than my W/S FG-51s and the ‘99 Hogan Apex set before that, but something about them makes me swing my best. It must be that they are a birth year set. The highlight of my year so far was a 225 yard 4i on a really difficult par three yesterday. That is the best feeling in golf. Here’s to more of that.

Congratulations, that's some sharp shooting their soldier! 

• Like 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

5 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I had a great round yesterday with this bag - a solid 75 to bring my index down by 0.5 to 4.5. Would have been special if not for a missed 9’ birdie putt on 17 and a messy double on the last. You can play your best with older irons! And woods … and putters …

IMG_6032.jpeg.c30d660171c0ef98e4f898de9b5265a9.jpeg

Two of my best three rounds over the last couple of years have been with these MacGregors. They should be harder to hit than my W/S FG-51s and the ‘99 Hogan Apex set before that, but something about them makes me swing my best. It must be that they are a birth year set. The highlight of my year so far was a 225 yard 4i on a really difficult par three yesterday. That is the best feeling in golf. Here’s to more of that.

I have that same driver, 975D 9.5 with DG S300 at 43.5". Still one if the very best! 

How do you like those Maltby wedges? I've been intrigued for a while. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben B said:

I have that same driver, 975D 9.5 with DG S300 at 43.5". Still one if the very best! 

How do you like those Maltby wedges? I've been intrigued for a while. 

Same driver setup but 44”. It’s great to hit a driver with neutral weighting and after some time, the head looks big. Truly astounding to go back and look at the 460cc monstrosities that have habituated over the decades.

These Maltby TSW wedges are the real deal. I’ve played 56 and 60 for a little over two years and they will be my wedges for the foreseeable years. I build my own clubs so $35-45/head is an incredible value.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| Maxfli DP-801 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

2 hours ago, craz-e said:

Well it’s been awhile since I have had anything worthy of adding to this my favourite thread, but behold my new golf bats have finally arrived!

For the first time in my golfing life I went for a full bag fitting at something other than a “demo day”.

I finally bit the bullet and booked in with Club Champion in Brisbane (Australia). I have to say the fitter on the day, even though he was just a young pup, did a great job. I even said I am a blade user but if something works better I am happy to change. After hitting every iron under the sun, he stated that for me a blade just works, dispersion is tighter, everything more consistent, happy days!

Now the fun part and deciding on what blade is the better option, and there are so many good options out there. There were a few stand outs for me. The PXG blade, the Ping Blueprint T and the Miura KM 700.

In the end the Miura edged it for consistency and pure enjoyment from hitting it.

I had a great full day fitting, yes my fingers were bleeding by the end of it after hitting over 600 balls but I loved it and it’s nice to be able to tick off the full bag fitting I have always wanted.

Photos are of the 7 iron after unboxing.

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3636.jpeg

Beautiful!!!

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

2 hours ago, craz-e said:

Well it’s been awhile since I have had anything worthy of adding to this my favourite thread, but behold my new golf bats have finally arrived!

For the first time in my golfing life I went for a full bag fitting at something other than a “demo day”.

I finally bit the bullet and booked in with Club Champion in Brisbane (Australia). I have to say the fitter on the day, even though he was just a young pup, did a great job. I even said I am a blade user but if something works better I am happy to change. After hitting every iron under the sun, he stated that for me a blade just works, dispersion is tighter, everything more consistent, happy days!

Now the fun part and deciding on what blade is the better option, and there are so many good options out there. There were a few stand outs for me. The PXG blade, the Ping Blueprint T and the Miura KM 700.

In the end the Miura edged it for consistency and pure enjoyment from hitting it.

I had a great full day fitting, yes my fingers were bleeding by the end of it after hitting over 600 balls but I loved it and it’s nice to be able to tick off the full bag fitting I have always wanted.

Photos are of the 7 iron after unboxing.

IMG_3631.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3636.jpeg

That's a reasonably attractive iron.  😁

I hope you'll keep us updated as you use them.  What shafts did you go with?

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

7 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

That's a reasonably attractive iron.  😁

I hope you'll keep us updated as you use them.  What shafts did you go with?

I ended up with the Oban CT-115 shafts. A little lighter than usual but I ain't getting any younger and that was a theme throughout the bag during the fitting 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

On 3/19/2024 at 9:12 AM, Nard_S said:

On 3/19/2024 at 9:18 PM, NixLix26 said:

DAGGERS. I'm so sorry to hear that, gentlemen. I wish a speedy recover to you both. I concur with @PedronNiall, there is much proselytizing to do to the lost masses to save their gigantic chunky soles (huehuehue) 

Edited by Moarbutter
grammer
  • Like 4