2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

8 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Kyoei MB 1964 Iron

They were offered in late 2021. from K1 mold and updated grooves. Re-issue of the club that they 1st put out and put them on map. Tourspec had a few sets, almost bought when they were on sale but chickened out.

Been keeping eye and lo' & behold a used set popped up. Grabbed it. Love the look and specs. Really have zero need but well you know, lol.

Damn…….those are just stunning.   

Congrats, they should be awesome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Damn…….those are just stunning.   

Congrats, they should be awesome.

They should play about the same as yours and you guys seem to like them. Been desiring these for two years. I'll do S400 and dowels. 

Have way too any sets and probably will cull the herd to fund these and new metals.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Forgiveness isn't measured by the final MPF score.  That score is little more than the C-Dimension minus the actual vertical CG.

MOI is the physical measure of forgiveness.

Then, you need to pay attention to the CG location as compared to the swing in question.  All the MOI in the world isn't useful if that cg is impossible to hit for one's swing.

Good insights. Just found it surprising that the TWs are an entire group up the playability scale. While a lot of the guys I play with are better ball strikers, even those who aren't quite as skilled have no problem putting a good swing on the Wilsons. No one who's hit the TWs so far has raved in quite the same way. Numbers alone never tell the whole story, but interesting how they shake out in hand vs the playability rating. 

I REALLY don't need another set of irons,but I would love to hit these. They look cool.

Screenshot_20231207-193534.png

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 hours ago, subrew said:

Everytime I've ordered from a Japanese seller on ebay, shipping was super fast.  Usually arriving in 2-3 days.  In early September I purchased this set of Dunlop Pro Model DP-601 blades.  They finally arrived via the slow boat.  I at least had a tracking number, and boy, these traversed the world over the past 3.5 months.  For some reason they came into the US via New Jersey, so had to slow truck it across the country to California.  

3-PW, PS, and SW.  They have that muted boron coating non-shine to them that was kinda popular in the early 90s.  One pic compares the 3i to a MP14 3i.  They were cheap, and I was on a kick of building up some older blades back when I bought these.

385537063_383928440735142_5406400095766681564_n.jpg

387326949_733339331637016_4489701085677986353_n.jpg

385526243_1032155071332317_1934768921966173445_n.jpg

368784174_759004309598062_2582562799996647169_n.jpg

371535463_309262118747106_5639156233495838040_n.jpg

Nice set. Constant offset. very soft. Here are some specs for them.

https://sports.dunlop.co.jp/golf/products/clublibrary/iron/pr06016000.html

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nard_S said:

WellI just got them and they look great.  A few mild mars but pretty mint.

Weigh in 7g apart except for #7i @ 6g, very little offset and height /length pretty standard. They are getting the business.

64heads.jpg.b83103c9d175f8cb657b3e4ea67609e1.jpg

Offset of #7i

647i.jpg.3ff22075092cff54c3935e918c25e92f.jpg

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG - Man, those look SOOOOOO good. I love how little offset there is. If there was anything at all I could complain about w/ my set, it'd be the amount of offset. SUPER interested to see how you like them once they're built up.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moarbutter said:

HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG - Man, those look SOOOOOO good. I love how little offset there is. If there was anything at all I could complain about w/ my set, it'd be the amount of offset. SUPER interested to see how you like them once they're built up.

It will take a minute to do build. By Spring. 

I played 99 Hogan 's for years. They have a lot of offset, about 4mm and I never had issue with them. Boss clubs.  These are onset, usually there's 2-2.5 mm, which aligns with shaft, these are like 1mm. If I can see "square", I'm good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

That's a nice looking club.

Right? I'm turning in my Ho card with these, lol. Done. Golf in general is dropping in my life's priority list and within that irons are dropping too. Have my sets, have the baggers, the old man sets in waiting. Have builds to do. Have a bunch I'll sell, just because there's too many and many of those do not fit window I like to work in.

190 to 240 is where I most need gear & swing improvements. New metals, perhaps even a hybrid,  and truly fit ones at that too. That's the big hell hole of score card. . Upping percentages on that in-between range is my low fruit to shed strokes.

Not concerned with bagage of blades, Skill over index I say. Play like 20 rounds a year, start doing 50 a year index wll count more. Love beating balls, have more holes in week for that but gunning to fix tee game is Job One. Made solid gain on driver but it did not trickle to #3W or #5W or solidify #3i as much as had hoped.

MB's a great canvas to figure out swing issues and to figure out ideal setups. Think that's the what what for me. So the blades stay and as long as the build fits, it will be fine. Cheers.

• Like 3

New shafts for the kyoei’s came in.   I like these things way too much to play the 85g trpx carbon/blade experiment I was planning when I got them.  Modus 105s by design tuning fell in my lap.  What the design tuning basically means they are like 3x the cost for some meh graphics and I got this set for the cheapest I have ever seen them starting at and I was the only bidder like it was listed wrong or I wouldn’t even have them.  

$180 to my door is not much worse than the best deal I can get for regular 105s pulls on eBay to my door so I bid and no one else did. 

IMG_1490.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, Nard_S said:

WellI just got them and they look great.  A few mild mars but pretty mint.

Weigh in 7g apart except for #7i @ 6g, very little offset and height /length pretty standard. They are getting the business.

64heads.jpg.b83103c9d175f8cb657b3e4ea67609e1.jpg

Offset of #7i

647i.jpg.3ff22075092cff54c3935e918c25e92f.jpg

Offset? 🧐 

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

1 hour ago, Kingcat990 said:

Offset? 🧐 

Face progression is( for 3i->PW) 5.0-5.5-6.0 mm. Those are numbers of centerline of hosel to leading edge of club, so where hosel thickness of 13.5 mm is measured then offset is translated as 1.75mm ( >1/16") down to .75mm which is <1/32" They look it too. My Titleists are 2.0mm offset (5/64"), My Marumuan SX s 2.1mm (stamped) these are noticeably less across the board than both.

Edited by Nard_S
Bad math.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, Nard_S said:

Face progression is( for 3i->PW) 5.0-5.5-6.0 mm. Those are numbers of centerline of hosel to leading edge of club, so where hosel thickness of 13.5 mm is measured then offset is translated as 1.75mm ( >1/16") down to .75mm which is <1/32" They look it too. My Titleists are 2.0mm offset (5/64"), My Marumuan SX s 2.1mm (stamped) these are noticeably less across the board than both.

These formerly belonged to me and yes I can confirm the offset it the least of any iron ive ever seen.  It makes me very happy that they ended up in a loving home.

Edited by Awainer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally ponied up and had to buy a shaft puller.   It is ridiculous these simple contraptions are $200, and I was going to make one a while back, but at the end of the day, I just have too many carbon shafts and I really want to be able to mess around.   So yeah, got my SW scale, my loft lie machine and now this.   At least the other stuff I got for really cheap.   This thing better pull graphite shafts with ease and no splinters ……

Anyone here have any advice before I get the party started when this thing comes next week?  I got the spring loaded one hoping that it is truly the best/safest for graphite.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bigmean said:

I finally ponied up and had to buy a shaft puller.   It is ridiculous these simple contraptions are $200, and I was going to make one a while back, but at the end of the day, I just have too many carbon shafts and I really want to be able to mess around.   So yeah, got my SW scale, my loft lie machine and now this.   At least the other stuff I got for really cheap.   This thing better pull graphite shafts with ease and no splinters ……

Anyone here have any advice before I get the party started when this thing comes next week?  I got the spring loaded one hoping that it is truly the best/safest for graphite.   

I got this one and it works pretty slick 

https://www.golfworks.com/clubmakers-vise-graphite-shaft-extractor/p/ucmvgsr/

I put it together with the shaft snug but able to turn. Heat up the head or adapter with a torch while I spin the shaft until it's heated, then clamp it down and start wrenching. I keep a rag ready to catch the head when it falls off.

I've pulled over 30 shafts so far and only ruined 2 (overheating) so far. 

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

20 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Buy some cheap clubs for practice, apply heat slowly. You will figure it out.

• Like 1

Anybody every try hitting one of these? I say try, because you know. I'm seriously considering one. Either a 2 or 3, but I figured if I'm going to, you have to go 2, right? 

P2_clipped_rev_1_106253f5-1e3a-4e11-87b5-d7e277d580d7_1800x1800.png

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 12/20/2023 at 8:39 PM, lefthack said:

I got this one and it works pretty slick 

https://www.golfworks.com/clubmakers-vise-graphite-shaft-extractor/p/ucmvgsr/

I put it together with the shaft snug but able to turn. Heat up the head or adapter with a torch while I spin the shaft until it's heated, then clamp it down and start wrenching. I keep a rag ready to catch the head when it falls off.

I've pulled over 30 shafts so far and only ruined 2 (overheating) so far. 

Awesome.  I got the one with the spring not sure if I ripped myself off for the extra hundred or not but hearing your success on that one is good.   I’m going to give it a go this week but glad to hear overheating is the issue.  I have used torches and feathering them in past as I own a torch, but was thinking about a cheap HF heat gun to be safe for graphite.  

Edited by Bigmean
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Heat gun is actually worse for pulling graphite.  The slower heat means you're heating up everything, which threatens the shaft.

Several threads in the WRX Tech forum about this.

I hadn't tried a heat gun, but that makes sense. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I did the heat gun method on an even flow riptide shaft in a hybrid 2 years ago. I ruined an even flow riptide shaft 2 years ago. Tip came out looking like Don King. Learned my lesson. What our boy NRJ says is true. Heat gun is el Diablo to graphite. 

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I feel that kingcat.  The reason I am so uptight about this is that I have a horrible graphite track record, like Fing horrible and I made it off limits, but I have all these stupid expensive shafts I want to move around and maybe sell heads keep shaft or whatever so I had to try a real puller, and holy crap…..wow worth it.

I went propane torch method as that’s what I have, removed the 125x modus shafts from my GF irons.   So far so good(if anyone wants 125x modus hit me up, I will sell them for a song to anyone here). Then Practiced on getting an adaptor off a broken driver shaft, so far so good,  then right into the roddios.  Every single one I could grab the toe bare handed.  This spring tensioner is amazing and I broke down the set in no time.  

I think the plan is:

GF cbs on trpx:   Don’t care much here, but I think the heads are good so this is a no expectation set.

1957 cbs:   Getting the 950r from my kyeoi set.  If I am not loving them in this they are getting sold.  

kyoei blades:  getting the new 105s design tuning shafts.  

Now I am at the phase of the project where I realized I don’t have enough ferrules to make more than 1 set and I think I need to get them online as not sure a pga superstore would sell me that lol.   I was so prepared and forgot ferrules….

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m pretty torn on this.  I initially thought the one on the right was a no brainer, but now I’m not so sure….also, black ferrules right?  Don’t add anything to these already loud shafts?

I scored 7 black ferrules for today and I have enough blue trim ones for the 57s so I may start to get my build on soon.   Probably save the kyeoi/design tuning for later just to get some practice in on making sets I care less about and nailing the SW and all that but I may jump the gun on those now that I have ferrules.

IMG_1573.jpeg

• Like 1