Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

See I was told that everything was smaller in Japan - from the looks of things CTS, you were playing on the world's biggest snooker table! Can't believe the condition that is in, looks like Mayokoba when I played it a couple of years ago.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > Proismes are very similar to the TN87 or Macgregor R58 you have. Long irons look like razor wire. Rewarding to hit solid.

> >

> > I’ll take a few pics tonight

>

> Thanks, much appreciated.

Do you guys have any back ground information on the MacGregor R58's and R68's? Was it ever confirmed who forged them? What years were they manufactured, specs, etc...? Thanks.

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > Proismes are very similar to the TN87 or Macgregor R58 you have. Long irons look like razor wire. Rewarding to hit solid.

> > >

> > > I’ll take a few pics tonight

> >

> > Thanks, much appreciated.

>

> Do you guys have any back ground information on the MacGregor R58's and R68's? Was it ever confirmed who forged them? What years were they manufactured, specs, etc...? Thanks.

The r58s apparently came out in 1991, from what I can remember from my research into them. The PW was 50* going down to a 20* 2i. Being Macs, there was probably a 5* gap in the standard lofts between the PW and 9i, and maybe the 9i and the 8i, then generally 4* after that. Maybe 3* in the long irons. In the set I have, the PW certainly plays as a 50* wedge.

Don't know anything about the 68s.

As for the Miura forging, well, it's rumoured the 58s were, but I don't know. What I do know is that they are sweet and very playable. The FM 6.5s in mine are a bit on the stiff side for me, but they are otherwise fine irons. A set 1/4" longer and with FM6.0s would be great.

One last thing, don't bother with the r58 sand wedge. It is the spawn of Satan.

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > @BladesCGX said:

> > > I just signed up for this forum and found the thread for me. I was on gi irons for a long time but my swing became too hard and the shafts began flexing out of control, so I had to contemplate buying new irons. And by luck I was able too get these for a very reasonable price. I wasn't going for blades per se but they always caught my eye. And bow I'm happier then ever. I especially love how it makes it easier for me to feel and determine what went wrong on a particular shot, hope you like them too!

> >

> > Clay Long personal? if they are... (****, either way) ****...

> >

> >

> I think you're right, C_T_S. That gouge in the back near the hosel, like the one on the Wilson Bulletbacks, is the giveaway.

> Were they a Japan-only release? Maybe.

>

>

I messaged Clay Long on Instagram and he confirmed they were part of the Japan only release batch he designed. But he did not make them,

but someone around 1990 did in the Macgregor custom department

They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

• Like 1

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

>

> > Certainly better hitting off them than from the bare or sandy lies you can find at some courses around here.

>

> It's night and day. It will be hard to go back to some courses after this one. It's in my top 3 courses around Kyoto now for sure.

>

There's a similarly nice course fairly near me called Wakamatsu that I play once a year. It's always a little hard going back to a normal course after that round.

> They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

>

> I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

The CB-92’s aren’t particularly forgiving, you are right, but I think that would be a cool combo set with the Muirfields, those are one of my favorites.

The CB-92’s were the clubs I wanted as a teen but couldn’t afford. Got Spalding Executives for Christmas instead. I picked up a set a few years ago and hit them really well. So much so I wanted a backup set and found theses CB-92’s as heads only. The best part was these heads were unused.

I bought them from Golfsmith when they went out of business. These heads were from Macgregor’s archive which was included with the sale of Macgregor to Golfsmith. Unfortunately the 8 and 9 iron were missing, but they were new old stock. I bought them and tucked them away for when I could find a matching NOS 8 and 9 iron. Then a few weeks ago I find the 7-PW heads on eBay, NOS as well. Figured I’d probably never find the 8 & 9 in the condition I wanted, so why not build a combo set and bought them.

Maybe this is my mid life crisis set. It’s like it is 1991 again and I now have the brand new set I never got back then.?

• Like 1

> @deejaid said:

> > They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

> >

> > I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

>

> The CB-92’s aren’t particularly forgiving, you are right, but I think that would be a cool combo set with the Muirfields, those are one of my favorites.

>

> The CB-92’s were the clubs I wanted as a teen but couldn’t afford. Got Spalding Executives for Christmas instead. I picked up a set a few years ago and hit them really well. So much so I wanted a backup set and found theses CB-92’s as heads only. The best part was these heads were unused.

> I bought them from Golfsmith when they went out of business. These heads were from Macgregor’s archive which was included with the sale of Macgregor to Golfsmith. Unfortunately the 8 and 9 iron were missing, but they were new old stock. I bought them and tucked them away for when I could find a matching NOS 8 and 9 iron. Then a few weeks ago I find the 7-PW heads on eBay, NOS as well. Figured I’d probably never find the 8 & 9 in the condition I wanted, so why not build a combo set and bought them.

>

> Maybe this is my mid life crisis set. It’s like it is 1991 again and I now have the brand new set I never got back them.?

>

That's pretty much what got into looking for old golf clubs, too. I saw an old set of Mizunos (MS-11s), and they took me back to a memory from the late Eighties. Back then, we had a couple of promising Juniors (both older than me), and they bagged Mizunos. I remember one of them showing off his TP-9s to us all. Think they were TP-9s, anyway.

Thing is, I don't remember people playing Macgregor or Hogan at my club. There were a few Wilson users, and then lots of Ping EYE2 fans. Those who could afford them had EYE2s, those who couldn't had EYE2 clones.

Two things I've learned from that fitting I did a couple of weeks ago:

1) GC 2 is bang in accurate for flight and distance. I was hitting my new 3 wood about 245 carry, 260 total in the sim - out in the course its going pretty much an identical distance.

2) The grip really is critical in terms of delivering the golf club Square on the way through. It turns out all of the pain I was going through a couple of weekends ago - not to mention the poor sheep in the line of fire - could have been solved by moving my left hand round an inch on the club. I've done that and just shot 4 over. Just 2 weeks late :neutral:

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Got 18 in with my MP-4s yesterday. Shot 46 on the front and 52 on the back—first time breaking 100. My iron play was excellent—I blasted out of a sand trap for 140 yards on one shot and stuck a pitching wedge from 90 in within 4 feet for birdie on a long par 5.

The back 9 was a story of bad putting, but I’ve got another 9 to play in a few hours—looking forward for more time with the blades. :)

• Like 3

Got out for my first full round in a couple weeks. Still playing my nickel Rams. It was a "what could have been" round that's reassuring, after my spotty-at-best play so far this season.

Driver was sketchy. Hit three good tee shots in the first 7 holes, out of the four driver tee shots on those holes. After that, nothing good, Mr Snappy showed up and I spent too much time fighting trees on the left side of the course. Short game was spotty, helping lead me to a double on one hole on the back, and my putting was such that I three putted from 25 feet on one hole, and took three to get down from 35 feet in the fringe on another.

But the irons were excellent. With the wind up a bit, I still managed to hit them largely where I wanted. Distance is returning to previous levels as the rust falls away. I only hit 8 greens, but was within a couple feet of the green surface on the fringe on four others; considering my tee game yesterday, and the wind, I count that a stirring victory. LOL

Wound up shooting 77, par 71. Without the four or five shots I threw away with putter or wedge, I could have been threatening my personal best (73).

There's hope for me. LOL

Bought a Tour Blue 85 3 wood shaft for a Cobra, put it in my Fly-Z+. It'll play 43.5", it's lead taped and ready to go. Would have had it yesterday but for not remembering to grab it as I walked out the door yesterday. Now I'll have to wait another week....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

>

> I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

I found this recently while searching for more info about the CB-92. Interesting to see the origin of them from the man that created them.

5kn2ccoacjax.png

“Jack actually played the JNP’s for several weeks after which he called and said he liked them but when he, “hit them fat, they didn’t go anywhere.” Translated, the blades were too long. So we cut cavities into the backs of the Pro-82’s(Muirfield forging) to make a short JNP for him. That later became the CB-92 forging. I left Macgregor in 1992 and one of my first projects for Nicklaus Golf was to machine the N1 back design into a set of Pro-82’s for Jack to play. In 2002 we made a new Personal Edition forging and again had to grind it down to Pro-82 size. To this day, he still plays a blade this size as far as I know.” -Clay Long

> @deejaid said:

> > They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

> >

> > I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

>

> I found this recently while searching for more info about the CB-92. Interesting to see the origin of them from the man that created them.

>

>

> 5kn2ccoacjax.png

>

> “Jack actually played the JNP’s for several weeks after which he called and said he liked them but when he, “hit them fat, they didn’t go anywhere.” Translated, the blades were too long. So we cut cavities into the backs of the Pro-82’s(Muirfield forging) to make a short JNP for him. That later became the CB-92 forging. I left Macgregor in 1992 and one of my first projects for Nicklaus Golf was to machine the N1 back design into a set of Pro-82’s for Jack to play. In 2002 we made a new Personal Edition forging and again had to grind it down to Pro-82 size. To this day, he still plays a blade this size as far as I know.” -Clay Long

So the JNP Personal for pros is pretty much the same as the VIP Tour CB-92? That's what it looks like to me, at least.

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

> > >

> > > I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

> >

> > I found this recently while searching for more info about the CB-92. Interesting to see the origin of them from the man that created them.

> >

> >

> > 5kn2ccoacjax.png

> >

> > “Jack actually played the JNP’s for several weeks after which he called and said he liked them but when he, “hit them fat, they didn’t go anywhere.” Translated, the blades were too long. So we cut cavities into the backs of the Pro-82’s(Muirfield forging) to make a short JNP for him. That later became the CB-92 forging. I left Macgregor in 1992 and one of my first projects for Nicklaus Golf was to machine the N1 back design into a set of Pro-82’s for Jack to play. In 2002 we made a new Personal Edition forging and again had to grind it down to Pro-82 size. To this day, he still plays a blade this size as far as I know.” -Clay Long

>

> So the JNP Personal for pros is pretty much the same as the VIP Tour CB-92? That's what it looks like to me, at least.

Yeah, that’s what I got from it. Pretty cool. Maybe that’s why they decided to stamp them “Tour” as a reference to a more pro version of the JNP.

I never understood the CB-92 nomenclature though. I’m assuming “CB” is cavity back, but the 92 has me stumped. They come out in 1988 or 89 so it wouldn’t be the release year.

> @deejaid said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

> > > >

> > > > I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

> > >

> > > I found this recently while searching for more info about the CB-92. Interesting to see the origin of them from the man that created them.

> > >

> > >

> > > 5kn2ccoacjax.png

> > >

> > > “Jack actually played the JNP’s for several weeks after which he called and said he liked them but when he, “hit them fat, they didn’t go anywhere.” Translated, the blades were too long. So we cut cavities into the backs of the Pro-82’s(Muirfield forging) to make a short JNP for him. That later became the CB-92 forging. I left Macgregor in 1992 and one of my first projects for Nicklaus Golf was to machine the N1 back design into a set of Pro-82’s for Jack to play. In 2002 we made a new Personal Edition forging and again had to grind it down to Pro-82 size. To this day, he still plays a blade this size as far as I know.” -Clay Long

> >

> > So the JNP Personal for pros is pretty much the same as the VIP Tour CB-92? That's what it looks like to me, at least.

>

> Yeah, that’s what I got from it. Pretty cool. Maybe that’s why they decided to stamp them “Tour” as a reference to a more pro version of the JNP.

>

> I never understood the CB-92 nomenclature though. I’m assuming “CB” is cavity back, but the 92 has me stumped. They come out in 1988 or 89 so it wouldn’t be the release year.

I never looked up the release date. I just assumed it was 1992!

So what indeed does the 92 refer to!?

• Like 1

Adding to confusion, Ironfinder lists the CB92 as coming out in... 1992. I'm not at home at moment, or I'd check my Maltby Guide...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @revanant said:

> Got 18 in with my MP-4s yesterday. Shot 46 on the front and 52 on the back—first time breaking 100. My iron play was excellent—I blasted out of a sand trap for 140 yards on one shot and stuck a pitching wedge from 90 in within 4 feet for birdie on a long par 5.

>

> The back 9 was a story of bad putting, but I’ve got another 9 to play in a few hours—looking forward for more time with the blades. :)

Congrats! Playing sporadically when I started golf, 5-10 times per year max, I was never able to get below 100. Once I started playing more it came without tremendous difficulty, but felt fantastic once I did it. Breaking 90 felt even better. I'll let you know what breaking 80 feels like if it ever happens :-)

Dave

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > They look great, deejaid. And like Kingcat said, nice photography, too.

> > > > >

> > > > > I've a set of CB-92s, and have thought about putting together a combo set with either my Muirfields or Muirfield 20ths. To be honest, I don't find the CBs particularly more forgiving, but I just thought it would be a fun experiment to try.

> > > >

> > > > I found this recently while searching for more info about the CB-92. Interesting to see the origin of them from the man that created them.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 5kn2ccoacjax.png

> > > >

> > > > “Jack actually played the JNP’s for several weeks after which he called and said he liked them but when he, “hit them fat, they didn’t go anywhere.” Translated, the blades were too long. So we cut cavities into the backs of the Pro-82’s(Muirfield forging) to make a short JNP for him. That later became the CB-92 forging. I left Macgregor in 1992 and one of my first projects for Nicklaus Golf was to machine the N1 back design into a set of Pro-82’s for Jack to play. In 2002 we made a new Personal Edition forging and again had to grind it down to Pro-82 size. To this day, he still plays a blade this size as far as I know.” -Clay Long

> > >

> > > So the JNP Personal for pros is pretty much the same as the VIP Tour CB-92? That's what it looks like to me, at least.

> >

> > Yeah, that’s what I got from it. Pretty cool. Maybe that’s why they decided to stamp them “Tour” as a reference to a more pro version of the JNP.

> >

> > I never understood the CB-92 nomenclature though. I’m assuming “CB” is cavity back, but the 92 has me stumped. They come out in 1988 or 89 so it wouldn’t be the release year.

>

> I never looked up the release date. I just assumed it was 1992!

> So what indeed does the 92 refer to!?

> @NRJyzr said:

> Adding to confusion, Ironfinder lists the CB92 as coming out in... 1992. I'm not at home at moment, or I'd check my Maltby Guide...

I could have sworn I saw an ad or catalog from 1989 or 90 showing the CB-92 but maybe I am mistaken. 1992 would make sense if the JNP was released in 1989. Maybe that was where my confusion comes in. I assumed the CB-92 was released at the same time as the JNP when it was actually the pro version of it released later.

> @NRJyzr said:

> Adding to confusion, Ironfinder lists the CB92 as coming out in... 1992. I'm not at home at moment, or I'd check my Maltby Guide...

That would make more sense, as I recall my old man buying a new set of CB92s around 1995. Pretty sure he had the 1 iron as well - of all the sets you wish you hadn't sold....

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > Adding to confusion, Ironfinder lists the CB92 as coming out in... 1992. I'm not at home at moment, or I'd check my Maltby Guide...

>

> That would make more sense, as I recall my old man buying a new set of CB92s around 1995. Pretty sure he had the 1 iron as well - of all the sets you wish you hadn't sold....

My set of CB-92s includes the 2i. "Forgiveness" from the cavity back design is non-existent! More than any other CB I've played, they qualify for the "might as well be blades" award.

I've been doing a couple of iron fittings as of late, and am pretty taken back how many of the new "forgiving" CB's are noticeably more unforgiving compared to their "advanced" counterparts. My miss is commonly fat. Some CB's are more terrible than blades with that.

Following this, the new Blueprints are pretty nice, the Rose protos are nice, and the new Wilsons are nice. Got the best results with TW-X and IC-601. Which neither are blades ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. They're faux.

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Interesting to see that the TW-X irons aren't being released in Japan (yet?). I think it's the same as the TW-U forged, which is available in Japan in the 2~5 irons. I had the 3i and it was pretty nice, certainly one of the better feeling driving irons out there. However, I got better results with their previous model, which I probably should have kept hold of.

Incidentally, I really dislike their latest DI. Long face and crappy feel.