Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > C_T_S

> > > I've noticed fewer and fewer X-flex shafts in woods AND irons around me as well. Lots more light-weight shafts in the drivers (i.e. under 60g). I think it's just further proof of the ageing of Japan's golfing population.

> >

> > That is a good point. A really really good point. You can actually find some decent deals on drivers with X shafts, from time to time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me with this one. Still a reasonable price, so now it's it in the bag.

> >

> > I actually went to try the Ping 410 at one of the shops nearby and they didn't have a demo 661. Only 569 or something... Felt like swinging a ladies club.

> >

> > I can still say that right?

>

> Same here. The local shop has some Honma, TM, and other demonstration clubs in, and the drivers, woods, and hybrids are all SR or R flex. Not much help for a demo hitting.

Not just Japan either, I went into one of the UK's big golf retailers in Birmingham looking for a fairway wood, they didn't have a single X Flex shaft for me to try, across any of the 5 or 6 manufacturers they offer. I could order one blind, but as it was a custom order I wouldn't be able to return it.

Needless to say I left without a 3 wood.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I think Tokyo should have a few more options than Kyoto. There's a Ping center, there are some new Premium 'Golf5' locations that advertise having decent selection...

As it is, I'm on a buy and try program here. Luckily the used stuff is usually in decent shape... It's really hard to justify buying new, for reason outlined above.

I'm looking forward to giving this driver a smash on the weekend. One question about it though. The 8 gram weight is forward and the 2 gram weight is in the heel. What should that do? What should the opposite do? I'm thinking the set up now is to lower spin, but make it less forgiving.

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > C_T_S

> > > > I've noticed fewer and fewer X-flex shafts in woods AND irons around me as well. Lots more light-weight shafts in the drivers (i.e. under 60g). I think it's just further proof of the ageing of Japan's golfing population.

> > >

> > > That is a good point. A really really good point. You can actually find some decent deals on drivers with X shafts, from time to time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me with this one. Still a reasonable price, so now it's it in the bag.

> > >

> > > I actually went to try the Ping 410 at one of the shops nearby and they didn't have a demo 661. Only 569 or something... Felt like swinging a ladies club.

> > >

> > > I can still say that right?

> >

> > Same here. The local shop has some Honma, TM, and other demonstration clubs in, and the drivers, woods, and hybrids are all SR or R flex. Not much help for a demo hitting.

>

> Not just Japan either, I went into one of the UK's big golf retailers in Birmingham looking for a fairway wood, they didn't have a single X Flex shaft for me to try, across any of the 5 or 6 manufacturers they offer. I could order one blind, but as it was a custom order I wouldn't be able to return it.

>

> Needless to say I left without a 3 wood.

What sort of 3 wood are you looking for?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> I think Tokyo should have a few more options than Kyoto. There's a Ping center, there are some new Premium 'Golf5' locations that advertise having decent selection...

>

> As it is, I'm on a buy and try program here. Luckily the used stuff is usually in decent shape... It's really hard to justify buying new, for reason outlined above.

>

> I'm looking forward to giving this driver a smash on the weekend. One question about it though. The 8 gram weight is forward and the 2 gram weight is in the heel. What should that do? What should the opposite do? I'm thinking the set up now is to lower spin, but make it less forgiving.

>

Lower trajectory and neutral to fade bias, the opposite should raise it and add draw bias.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> > > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > C_T_S

> > > > > I've noticed fewer and fewer X-flex shafts in woods AND irons around me as well. Lots more light-weight shafts in the drivers (i.e. under 60g). I think it's just further proof of the ageing of Japan's golfing population.

> > > >

> > > > That is a good point. A really really good point. You can actually find some decent deals on drivers with X shafts, from time to time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me with this one. Still a reasonable price, so now it's it in the bag.

> > > >

> > > > I actually went to try the Ping 410 at one of the shops nearby and they didn't have a demo 661. Only 569 or something... Felt like swinging a ladies club.

> > > >

> > > > I can still say that right?

> > >

> > > Same here. The local shop has some Honma, TM, and other demonstration clubs in, and the drivers, woods, and hybrids are all SR or R flex. Not much help for a demo hitting.

> >

> > Not just Japan either, I went into one of the UK's big golf retailers in Birmingham looking for a fairway wood, they didn't have a single X Flex shaft for me to try, across any of the 5 or 6 manufacturers they offer. I could order one blind, but as it was a custom order I wouldn't be able to return it.

> >

> > Needless to say I left without a 3 wood.

>

> What sort of 3 wood are you looking for?

I'm leaning towards a TS3, but was hoping to try the M6 and F9. Got a fitting booked next Tuesday at my club, but they only do Titleist and Ping, and Ive never been a Ping kind of guy.

Sad thing is I'm not even that bothered about a new one as I'm happy with the Nike, but something has become detached inside and it's making some very concerning rattles...

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

None of that is shocking. I don’t know, never been a fan of anything pink past the> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> Just realized my little daughter has a more JDM bag than me. She has an Ignio driver and utility (both JDM), a Mizuno junior 9i (blade, of course, and Japanese market only I think), and a lovely brass Daiwa bullseye putter. My only JDM is a RomaRo ibrid utility.

>

> I'm wondering if I should post her WITB in the JDM thread... :)

Awesome! Lol. She is likely more of a Jdm product herself than you so it adds up. No kids honma gold set so she can impress the top brass at the office?

> @Christen_The_Sloop said:

> I think Tokyo should have a few more options than Kyoto. There's a Ping center, there are some new Premium 'Golf5' locations that advertise having decent selection...

>

> As it is, I'm on a buy and try program here. Luckily the used stuff is usually in decent shape... It's really hard to justify buying new, for reason outlined above.

>

> I'm looking forward to giving this driver a smash on the weekend. One question about it though. The 8 gram weight is forward and the 2 gram weight is in the heel. What should that do? What should the opposite do? I'm thinking the set up now is to lower spin, but make it less forgiving.

>

Almost without exception(the suspect crazy shaft they broke on me) everything I have for from Japan has been in better than expected condition price regardless. I think this is the fact they don’t play as much, take better care of their things, and are more honest in listings not wanting returns. I buy irons that don’t show the faces with confidence from there. EBay.....dude, plan on the worst unless pics are over the top. My shingo set had some issues not disclosed, but at price and fact I don’t care about sole scratches no big deal.

Buying new golf clubs is insanity, and I say this as someone who has spends way too much on clubs. It makes no sense to me, never has.

First time using blades here. I've been through pretty much every left handed iron set available over the years. I decided to start the year with blades. I don't compete, I play for money with groups but that's about it. I've been shooting some of the best scores since switching to blades, oddly.

I am a 7 HCP with a 92 mph 6 iron swing speed. Prior to the blades I was using Ping ie's. My miss is a pull hook usually. With the ie's, I found a miss goes milesssss with a lot of side spin. I had MP-54's prior and misses weren't as wild. I went with the blades and after about 7 rounds with them and almost every round was a record low round. I have no issues hitting the 4 iron as I was originally worried about. What I do love is how my misses are only short, not stupid long like before. I can deal with chipping up as apposed to calling in search and rescue to find my ball. What I also love is how easy it is to move that ball around. It's soooo damn easy, way better control when needed.

• Like 1

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Been playing on and off for most of my life but started taking golf seriously about 9 months ago. Investing a lot of time and of course money into lessons playing etc and one of the guys I play with who is roughly a 4-5 has 716 MBs and talked me into just going for it, so I got a set of MBs myself. First time ever playing blades, the feel/look/sound is unlike any other clubs I have hit. The immediate feedback and ball flight I feel has been huge in me learning about controlling the hands; instead of handicapping me more I think they are making me a better golfer. I have about 10 rounds in with them and don't think I will ever go back.

1zvasvnim2wu.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to Club Blade :)

> @tdelam said:

> First time using blades here. I've been through pretty much every left handed iron set available over the years. I decided to start the year with blades. I don't compete, I play for money with groups but that's about it. I've been shooting some of the best scores since switching to blades, oddly.

> I am a 7 HCP with a 92 mph 6 iron swing speed. Prior to the blades I was using Ping ie's. My miss is a pull hook usually. With the ie's, I found a miss goes milesssss with a lot of side spin. I had MP-54's prior and misses weren't as wild. I went with the blades and after about 7 rounds with them and almost every round was a record low round. I have no issues hitting the 4 iron as I was originally worried about. What I do love is how my misses are only short, not stupid long like before. I can deal with chipping up as apposed to calling in search and rescue to find my ball. What I also love is how easy it is to move that ball around. It's soooo **** easy, way better control when needed.

> @Sjewell94 said:

> Been playing on and off for most of my life but started taking golf seriously about 9 months ago. Investing a lot of time and of course money into lessons playing etc and one of the guys I play with who is roughly a 4-5 has 716 MBs and talked me into just going for it, so I got a set of MBs myself. First time ever playing blades, the feel/look/sound is unlike any other clubs I have hit. The immediate feedback and ball flight I feel has been huge in me learning about controlling the hands; instead of handicapping me more I think they are making me a better golfer. I have about 10 rounds in with them and don't think I will ever go back.

> 1zvasvnim2wu.jpg

>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Cpk23 said:

> Took the paint off of my original Nike Forged Blades. I like how simple they look. Anyone still game these? I've had them in the bag for a decade.

>

> wtjh2fehqk48.jpg

>

I had them in the bag for 13 years, and still have 1 - PW in my backup bag. Only reason I switched was that I found a set of mint VR Pros with S400 Tour Issue for sale, after 18 months of searching. The OG Blades were fantastic, but I've gotta say the VR Pros are even better. Biggest difference is the grooves, not only are they legal post 2024, but they put a frankly ludicrous amount of spin on the ball.

Just to show you the utter frustration and madness I'm dealing with on the course at the moment - a few of you may be aware that I have always struggled with face to path issues, especially with anything longer than a 4 iron. Basically I take the club back inside, and then try to sort it out on the way down. If my timing is good I'll hit a rocket, if it isn't I will hit a sheep grazing 3 fields away. I've been working with my coach to fix it with mostly good results, but had a lesson last week, we did some backswing work, and now I am the proud owner of a pristine cow's arse and a banjo. I almost feel that I've gone the other way, and am taking the club back outside then cutting across on the way through, but anyway.

Just to show you how much it is hurting, I went for 18 holes yesterday morning before work. Was playing solo, so effectively marked two cards. One with provisionals off the tee, the other with mulligans (only off the tee). With provisionals I shot 86, with mulligans, 78. Had 3 birdies (no mulligans involved with them), lipped out for 2 more, and ended up with 29 putts for the day.

Oh, and it's Club Championship tomorrow, on a course with even less room off the tee than I played yesterday. I'm fully expecting to be out of the running by the 4th tee.

> @balls_deep said:

> Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

Yeah, I would think so. ;)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @balls_deep said:

> Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

A nice set at $300 is a good value. They're wonderful. carried a set for 3 years and have a pristine back up. Highly intuitive clubs. Do not use them now because went to different shaft set up but #4 Apex with that head is a great combo. One of the best MB's made in last 20 years, imho.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

>

> A nice set at $300 is a good value. They're wonderful. carried a set for 3 years and have a pristine back up. Highly intuitive clubs. Do not use them now because went to different shaft set up but #4 Apex with that head is a great combo. One of the best MB's made in last 20 years, imho.

>

No no.. $30. Very cheap.

I played a persimmon and blades round today. Pretty windy conditions, and very overcast, but fortunately it didn't rain (though the course was a bit wet from the downpour night before).

I took out my Mac Muirfield 20ths and a Ram SW, along with a Wilson 8802.

Started with a 400-yard par 4 that's severely downhill. A nice 3w left a SW in, and I had a good birdie chance...which just slid by. Promising start....however, I cocked all that up with a triple on the par 5 second (smothered drive, pushed 2nd, decent recovery 3rd, then duffed chip, poor chip, and a 3-putt from 20ft. Stylish). Followed that up by converting a potential birdie putt on the 3rd into a 3-putt bogey. OK...but I settled down after that and made a couple of birdies on the front nine for a 3-over 39. However, as I had 7 GiR, I feel this score should/could have been better.

The second nine is shorter, but trickier, with several narrow holes, and lots more uphill/downhill shots. Played well, and managed to close with a 2-over 38 for a 77 total, finishing with a birdie 4 after I stuck a SW to 6ft from 100 yards out. It's been a while since I broke 80, and it was nice to do it using persimmon woods and 30-year old irons. My putting was a bit random; I made some decent putts, but my lag putting was poor. 12 GiRs, 33 putts. Not sure what to make of that.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

> >

> > A nice set at $300 is a good value. They're wonderful. carried a set for 3 years and have a pristine back up. Highly intuitive clubs. Do not use them now because went to different shaft set up but #4 Apex with that head is a great combo. One of the best MB's made in last 20 years, imho.

> >

>

> No no.. $30. Very cheap.

I saw what you paid,

Groove sharpening.... ugh....

Completely not a fan. Grooves don't cause spin. If they did, the first grooveless iron face tests would not have resulted in *more* spin.

That I need more than a cliffhanger about......

I had a Cleveland tour van nomad wrx treatment gap wedge that was ported with square grooves and dude, for a 51, I mean on a good course with nice greens that thing ripped back. Like too much on full fairway shots, I mean 10 feet on the greens. Now not saying it was grooves or whatever, but I have never spun a wedge like that one.

Looking to play today if I can cheat out early enough. I am in a weird place where I truly don’t know what clubs to put in bag. I think the small blades today because I want to work my overall swing and keep variables down, but I really want more of the coppers, and I am also still very into wanting more shingo time, stunned I keep wanting to use them....

> @Bigmean said:

> Wouldn’t grooves have more to do with not hitting a knuckle ball than total backspin in sense they help send it off the face not slide up it?

>

> Now I am going to be perplexed by this all day...

Face texture matters quite a bit more than groove sharpness.

FWIW, this comes from Tom Wishon, not me just making stuff up. :) He's recommended periodically having your clubface sandblasted with aluminum oxide or similar. It's the degradation of the clubface integrity that causes spin loss, not grooves not being sharp.

The grooves matter when there's something to be channeled out of the way, like rough, longer fairway cuts, sand, moisture, etc.

There was a "study" mentioned on the WRX front page, last year I think, that was supposed to talk about this. It turned out to be an exercise in confirmation bias; let's hit a bunch of shots on the wedge, wearing down any milling, face texture, and so on, and then just attribute any spin loss only to grooves, without attempting to isolate the variables. LOL

> @bodhi555 said:

> Just to show you the utter frustration and madness I'm dealing with on the course at the moment - a few of you may be aware that I have always struggled with face to path issues, especially with anything longer than a 4 iron. Basically I take the club back inside, and then try to sort it out on the way down. If my timing is good I'll hit a rocket, if it isn't I will hit a sheep grazing 3 fields away. I've been working with my coach to fix it with mostly good results, but had a lesson last week, we did some backswing work, and now I am the proud owner of a pristine cow's **** and a banjo. I almost feel that I've gone the other way, and am taking the club back outside then cutting across on the way through, but anyway.

>

> Just to show you how much it is hurting, I went for 18 holes yesterday morning before work. Was playing solo, so effectively marked two cards. One with provisionals off the tee, the other with mulligans (only off the tee). With provisionals I shot 86, with mulligans, 78. Had 3 birdies (no mulligans involved with them), lipped out for 2 more, and ended up with 29 putts for the day.

>

> Oh, and it's Club Championship tomorrow, on a course with even less room off the tee than I played yesterday. I'm fully expecting to be out of the running by the 4th tee.

>

>

Loved the imagery! Laughed so hard it brought me to tears :smile: Living in Southern California, I'd have to hit an epic shank to hit a grazing sheep... but I'll be thinking of this the next time I do!

> @edgerat said:

> > @charlokim said:

> > Just picked these bad boys up. Need to get some lofts and lie checked and should be good to go for a test run!

> >

> > ndkkq92n5c86.jpeg

> > b8sq31ldwag0.jpeg

> >

>

> bet you a million dollars I can tell you what is under the putter cover.... :wink:

i bet you do! haha such a good putter...

--------------------------

witb

ping g430 lst 9* tour 2.0 chrome 75x

titleist tsr2 7w 21* tensei 1k black 85x

cobra king tour 5-p kbs $-taper 130

ping glide 4.0 50S 56S z-z115

tm spider tour cb 38"

> @Nard_S said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

> > >

> > > A nice set at $300 is a good value. They're wonderful. carried a set for 3 years and have a pristine back up. Highly intuitive clubs. Do not use them now because went to different shaft set up but #4 Apex with that head is a great combo. One of the best MB's made in last 20 years, imho.

> > >

> >

> > No no.. $30. Very cheap.

>

> I saw what you paid,

>

Oh I see now. Well I'll grab them then. Should be fun to mess around with. Looking forward to trying the Apex shafts. I hear they're similar to KBS tour which I get on well with.

.> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > Found a set of '99 Apex blades 3-E for $30. Worth it?

> > > >

> > > > A nice set at $300 is a good value. They're wonderful. carried a set for 3 years and have a pristine back up. Highly intuitive clubs. Do not use them now because went to different shaft set up but #4 Apex with that head is a great combo. One of the best MB's made in last 20 years, imho.

> > > >

> > >

> > > No no.. $30. Very cheap.

> >

> > I saw what you paid,

> >

>

> Oh I see now. Well I'll grab them then. Should be fun to mess around with. Looking forward to trying the Apex shafts. I hear they're similar to KBS tour which I get on well with.

Yeah, the Apex FM has some tip softness in the way KBS is noted for. You cannot go wrong at $30 bucks unless they are trashed. Those clubs got a ton of attention when I carried them. More so than any other I ever played. People who have owned them, love them.

• Like 1

> @pQQa said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > Just to show you the utter frustration and madness I'm dealing with on the course at the moment - a few of you may be aware that I have always struggled with face to path issues, especially with anything longer than a 4 iron. Basically I take the club back inside, and then try to sort it out on the way down. If my timing is good I'll hit a rocket, if it isn't I will hit a sheep grazing 3 fields away. I've been working with my coach to fix it with mostly good results, but had a lesson last week, we did some backswing work, and now I am the proud owner of a pristine cow's **** and a banjo. I almost feel that I've gone the other way, and am taking the club back outside then cutting across on the way through, but anyway.

> >

> > Just to show you how much it is hurting, I went for 18 holes yesterday morning before work. Was playing solo, so effectively marked two cards. One with provisionals off the tee, the other with mulligans (only off the tee). With provisionals I shot 86, with mulligans, 78. Had 3 birdies (no mulligans involved with them), lipped out for 2 more, and ended up with 29 putts for the day.

> >

> > Oh, and it's Club Championship tomorrow, on a course with even less room off the tee than I played yesterday. I'm fully expecting to be out of the running by the 4th tee.

> >

> >

>

> Loved the imagery! Laughed so hard it brought me to tears :smile: Living in Southern California, I'd have to hit an epic shank to hit a grazing sheep... but I'll be thinking of this the next time I do!

What, you don't see those sheep on the 405 around 6 PM?

Ok, true story. Years ago in India, in Kolkata, I was in the heart of the city for a meeting late afternoon. Traffic was everywhere. A madhouse. Makes the 405 look like a dirt road in Montana. I hear this sound of small hooves and look around, its a goat herder walking this line of goats, I swear they were like school kids, walking in 2 somes, maybe 50 of them, following this lead guy (with a trail guy, too) right through the heart of this massive traffic scene. They take the goats to these small markets put them in a pen, then slaughter them when bought. These markets then sell the heads, too. Pretty weird to see goat heads on a walk-way as you wander thru a market.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W