Nike Engage Wedges

GC70

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#282828]snagged up the ENGAGE's this afternoon - 56SQ and 60TS[/color]
[color=#282828]hit probably 2 LG buckets on the short game area from different distances, lies, multiple pins etc..[/color]

[u]Initial Thoughts:[/u]

[b]56 SQ[/b][list]
[*]this grind is no slouch, very versatile also from all lies
[*]sets up perfect to my eye
[*]ball flight is a tad higher than the VR Forged I was using prior to this (for like 2 weeks)
[*]this wedge (and both for that matter) feel lighter than the VR Forged and Pro I was using. But it may be the stock grip on the wedges. I have mid sized on the old wedges. Kinda like that feel a bit more, I may end up putting them on these too.
[*]spin is good. Face feels tacky almost, its weird. I actually had to wipe down both wedges after I un wrapped them, they felt like they were sticking to the turf.
[*]unsure of distance w them, it was really windy today and front to back the practice green is only about 60 yds. Guessing it will be fine.
[/list]
[b]60 TS[/b][list]
[*]this definitely flies higher than the VR Pro, but thats not a bad thing IMO
[*]I don't think it will go as far as the VR Pro either, but again not a bad thing, that VR almost went too far IMO
[*]this grind is UNREAL from tight lies, wow. ZERO complaints here. Easily just as good from rough, side hills or fairway.
[*]did I mention this grind is AWESOME from tight lies? Just checking ..... ;)
[*]only hit about 10 balls from the sand, as our practice bunker seems to have turned into a gravel pit w rocks everywhere. But, so far so good. I wanna test this rig from some soft "on course" sand and see how she goes.
[/list]
[color=#282828]Side Notes for both:[/color][list]
[*]great shape
[*]great feel
[*]raw finish
[*]the wax they come in was a FREAKING PITA to remove from the ferrules. Seriously spent 20 mins outside my truck taking it off
[*]short term results are favourable for a great wedge
[/list]

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1432827162' post='11643252']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1432773304' post='11639524']
[quote name='Axman55' timestamp='1432772870' post='11639460']
I drank the cool aid and pick up a 60 toe sweep today. That thing is like cheating.
[/quote]

Exactly what I said.
[/quote]

Damn you 9 miler, ran out and picked one up before league last night. Didn't put it in play but messed around with it and will throw it in for a skins game today. Does look a lot better at address than I thought it would. Lot of friends going to spend some time with it too. I use 60 from 100 and in almost exclusively so not sure it's gonna make the bag but we'll see, I've got a scratch wedge really dialed in there now. 60* TS
[/quote]

I can't understand you guys that can hit 60* from 100 yards. Holy cow. No way I could feel comfortable with that. But this wedge, is... Really good.

I second the wax on the clubs as far as removing it...it was a b*&*!. There's still fragments on the ferrule that I gave up on. Also the OP that mentioned these are this years "It" club...yea, definitely. These are so versatile. The square model is totally legit 56* and up even though I'm seeing more DS and TS models on here with the higher degree wedges.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

I'm in! Showed up at my local shop, hit some demo's and had my mind on a replacement of my magical Vokey 58 M grind that is well worn and the Engage 58 DS is a virtual match albeit it has a fresh face and sole. I'm a high spin player around the green with my M grind and have been playing it for many years and the Engage DS is just awesome. Completely infatuated with the set up at address and can hit super magic with it!

TS peaked my interest but not sure with my technique I need that unusual grind. SS were a pleasure to set up, aim and strike and more then likely wil find there way intothe bag as a gap wedge.

So for my eye the DS Engage vs the Vokey M is the Engage is more compact shape which suits my eye fine. And definitely will enjoy the natural rusting.. Just stoked to have this scoring tool!

PS.....No problem getting the Red wrapper off.....and the shaft had a white serial number label from Nike

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='wavyRT' timestamp='1432861599' post='11646834']
[quote name='hilife' timestamp='1432860204' post='11646694']
[attachment=2779226:image.jpg]

OMG, these wedges are money around the greens. The 60* DS felt like butter and the 56* TS was surprisingly good for me.
[/quote]

Are you using your 56 TS for full shots?
[/quote]

Not consistent yet with full shots on the TS but when I hit it good it's GOOD! TS is gonna take a while to get use to hitting full shots.

[quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1432849848' post='11645650']
Just received my set. No wax on heads, they were wrapped in shrink wrap and the shaft labels say S400 not wedge flex. I know they are the same.
[/quote]

Did you order them as custom?

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

So, it sounds like the majority here are going 60 DS, 54-56 TS, and 50-52 square.

how much you guys say it ranks for spin 1-10 (MD ,VR Red non com. ranking a 10 for spin for comparison)?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Got mine in today....

HO

LY

CRAP!

They look amazing. I'm a 2-wedge kinda guy, so 52 and 58 for me. I did pick up the TS and DS in the 58 to see which one I like better. The look at address is unbelievable, maybe the best I've ever seen. If the feel and performance is anything close to the appearance, these are going to be special. Can't wait to try them out this weekend.

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1432862892' post='11646990']
[quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1432849848' post='11645650']
Just received my set. No wax on heads, they were wrapped in shrink wrap and the shaft labels say S400 not wedge flex. I know they are the same.
[/quote]

Did you order them as custom?
[/quote]

Only thing I changed from stock was the grip.

I just wish the DS would be available in a 54* or 56*. I know the TS have got some good reviews but for my sweeper swing it sounds like it won't work as well. That and I use my 54* for full shots a lot. Anyone have or played a SS as their SW? Can you open up the SS pretty easily?

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1432863283' post='11647020']
So, it sounds like the majority here are going 60 DS, 54-56 TS, and 50-52 square.

how much you guys say it ranks for spin 1-10 (MD ,VR Red non com. ranking a 10 for spin for comparison)?
[/quote]

8 as good as sm5 or md2 for me

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

GJ is right on. I would say 8 out of 10 for spin. Hit a few last Sunday that my playing partner thought for sure were long... they had nice one hop and stop performance when struck well... a nice "zip", but controllable. Easiest way to explain it is they do what I expect given the shot type and quality of strike... no surprises.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1432864125' post='11647110']
[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1432863283' post='11647020']

[/quote]

8 as good as sm5 or md2 for me
[/quote]

Good start. ..that's good company. So good spin with what sounds like some better more versatile grinds.

Sounds like some winners...I'll have to try to find a demo day.

thanks Cmb as well!

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Weekend can't come fast enough. Can't wait to try the 60* on the course.

54* got pushed back one till next week. No biggie.

I use the 60* more anyways.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='rpaige88' timestamp='1432863972' post='11647084']
I just wish the DS would be available in a 54* or 56*. I know the TS have got some good reviews but for my sweeper swing it sounds like it won't work as well. That and I use my 54* for full shots a lot. Anyone have or played a SS as their SW? Can you open up the SS pretty easily?
[/quote]

I am with you there. 54DS would be interesting to try against the TS.

I think this is where I may be running into problems. Full shots were funky the first outing, but have been great ever since with the 54TS. When I open the face or take a lot off I am having trouble here and there... not every shot. I believe I will be able to work it out with a little more practice, and I want to because the benefits out of the bunkers and long rough are worth it. I think I just have to get used to not opening the face as much on some of these "in-between" shots. It's probably just a technique thing for me.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='Axman55' timestamp='1432772870' post='11639460']
Being the wedge hoarder that I am (4 vokeys, 5 scratch, 2 Cleveland, and 2 mac daddy tour grinds) I drank the cool aid and pick up a 60 toe sweep today. That thing is like cheating. I only chipped around the practice green but was really impressed. Nice heavy feel even with the stock shaft. You expect it, from its design, to be easy to open and hit flops and high shots, but what really impressed me was from tight lies I was able to close the face a hair and hit low checking shots as well as high shots. Don't think I would dare hit a fully shot with it, but really I wouldn't want to anyway. So tempted to throw it in the bag for my men's league tomorrow without changing the shaft or grip...
[/quote]
Took the 60TS for men's league today. Around the greens phenomenal! However I tried a 3/4 shot from 65 yards and chunked the sh*t out of it. Might take awhile to get used to the bounce and grind. The good news was that I chunked it into bunker and hit a fantastic sand shot from 20 yards. Had another horrible lie green side, no mowers ever get this spot and it's been raining like 3 weeks straight, almost had to step on the ball to find it. Took the TS and got it out and made the putt. Could throw a bucket of balls down there with one of my other wedges and not do any better. Stopped and bought a 52 SQ on the way home and had it bent to 51*. I'll probably get a 56SQ and bend it to 55* to round out the set. Can't wait to try the 52 this weekend.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

And the majority were complaining how ugly these were at first. Lol ;)

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I was picking up my new set of Rotex 2 Clevelands last night (50/54/60 all 2 dots) and the manager opened a box of these from Nike. He hadn't ordered any and Nike UK had just added a selection onto a shoe and shirt order. One look and they were going back! I like the idea that they will rust but the shapes are just too funky for the majority of trad loving low hcp players....

[quote name='Cape' timestamp='1432875556' post='11647974']How come most are having difficulties or worried with the TS and half/full shots? Is it due to the grind or something else ?

What type of miss does it cause, fat or thin in general?[/quote]

I love my 60 TS for 3/4 shots. It did take some time getting used too. I'm about 150 balls into the wedge and noticed that you can open it just a touch and it's phenomenal,but if I opened it too much it dug due to the wide part of the toe. I also skulled the ball too. Mostly fat shots though. The concept is that the sand will close the face and square the face up,but if you try and open it too much for a flop in fairway it will dig and you hit it fat. Just my theories and happenings of using it.

I have the 56 square too and it's my full shot sand wedge. It's only used for that and it's also phenomenal. No complaints at all.

[quote name='dlamb83' timestamp='1432883747' post='11648174'][quote name='Cape' timestamp='1432875556' post='11647974']How come most are having difficulties or worried with the TS and half/full shots? Is it due to the grind or something else ?

What type of miss does it cause, fat or thin in general?[/quote]

I love my 60 TS for 3/4 shots. It did take some time getting used too. I'm about 150 balls into the wedge and noticed that you can open it just a touch and it's phenomenal,but if I opened it too much it dug due to the wide part of the toe. I also skulled the ball too. Mostly fat shots though. The concept is that the sand will close the face and square the face up,but if you try and open it too much for a flop in fairway it will dig and you hit it fat. Just my theories and happenings of using it.

I have the 56 square too and it's my full shot sand wedge. It's only used for that and it's also phenomenal. No complaints at all.[/quote]

I have the first version TS and have never experienced any of those problems with full shots. It may have to do with the fact that I have a strongish grip and tend to address the ball with a slightly open clubface, but I've just been playing it like any other wedge with no issues.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

[quote name='rpaige88' timestamp='1432863972' post='11647084']
[/quote]

I have 56 ss and 60 ds bent to 61. No issue opening the 56 or out of traps with it.

Spoke to a rep yesterday and his opinion and. I agree was ds for you highest lofted wedge, 58 or 60, and ss for everything else.