Notah says Tiger 50/50 for the Masters

cphrey

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1427484661' post='11229245']
I've seen this mentioned, but does Tiger technically have to enter the field in order to be able to play the Masters or is he automatically entered and simply has to WD if he plans on not teeing it up?
[/quote]

Former champs get to play as long as they want.....Even Ben Crenshaw is teeing it up in two weeks.

[quote name='tgtaggie' timestamp='1427492236' post='11230067']
I've seen this mentioned, but does Tiger technically have to enter the field in order to be able to play the Masters or is he automatically entered and simply has to WD if he plans on not teeing it up?
[/quote]

Former champs get to play as long as they want.....Even Ben Crenshaw is teeing it up in two weeks.
[/quote]You are right but I am confused as well I guess. Tiger can play in just about any tournament he wants as an over 20 time winner(yes I am aware of the world ranking or fed ex cup requirements in others) but for the Masters is he in based on the invite or is there a registration deadline like there is for regular events?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

[/quote]

[/quote]

They've changed that...this is Crenshaw's last go.

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1427493515' post='11230237']
[/quote]

[/quote]You are right but I am confused as well I guess. Tiger can play in just about any tournament he wants as an over 20 time winner(yes I am aware of the world ranking or fed ex cup requirements in others) but for the Masters is he in based on the invite or is there a registration deadline like there is for regular events?
[/quote]

As a former champ of the Masters and Open Championship, he has a "lifetime" exemption. I think his US Open exemption has expired. For regular tour events he can play whenever he wants. For certain invitationals/WGC events he has to qualify or be a sponsor;s exemption if available.

As far as registering, at 5PM Eastern Time today he needed to declare his intentions to participate in the event. I'd be shocked if he didn't do that as he can WD prior to the start of the event. The same registration is true for PGA events. Can't speak to the Open Championship though.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has a lifetime exemption in the Masters and the Open Championship (I think?). I think the Green Coats are trying to discourage the older guys from playing in the actual tournament. Since the field is pretty much set after this Sunday (besides the winner of next week tournament), he could almost wait right up to mon, tues of the week of the masters to announce he's not playing. Historically, Tiger shows up at Augusta on Sun. I still think we will see the big cat appearance in Augusta Easter Sunday.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1427493873' post='11230267']
[/quote]

[/quote]

As a former champ of the Masters and Open Championship, he has a "lifetime" exemption. I think his US Open exemption has expired. For regular tour events he can play whenever he wants. For certain invitationals/WGC events he has to qualify or be a sponsor;s exemption if available.

As far as registering, at 5PM Eastern Time today he needed to declare his intentions to participate in the event. I'd be shocked if he didn't do that as he can WD prior to the start of the event. The same registration is true for PGA events. Can't speak to the Open Championship though.
[/quote]

I thought he could announce he wasn't playing the week of the masters. I actually will be shocked if he wasn't playing. I mean he didn't tee it up after hitting a hydrant and Augusta was his first start in '10 and had a T5.

[quote name='tgtaggie' timestamp='1427494541' post='11230345']
[/quote]

[/quote]

He has a lifetime exemption in the Masters and the Open Championship (I think?). I think the Green Coats are trying to discourage the older guys from playing in the actual tournament. Since the field is pretty much set after this Sunday (besides the winner of next week tournament), he could almost wait right up to mon, tues of the week of the masters to announce he's not playing. Historically, Tiger shows up at Augusta on Sun. I still think we will see the big cat appearance in Augusta Easter Sunday.
[/quote]

Andres Galarraga is teeing it up at the Masters?

[quote name='tgtaggie' timestamp='1427494541' post='11230345']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is there an alternate list at Augusta or if some WDs before Thursday, the field just gets smaller!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1427493615' post='11230241']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They haven't changed 'that'.

[quote name='superduperman' timestamp='1427505316' post='11231465']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Pretty sure past champs have to forgo playing when they are no longer competitive.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1427506730' post='11231621']
[quote name='superduperman' timestamp='1427505316' post='11231465']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Pretty sure past champs have to forgo playing when they are no longer competitive.
[/quote]

How would that work?

[Quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1427509518' post='11231969']
So did he commit or what? Come on Pelz, get it together with the info distribution!
[/quote]
KY. I'll give you this one. TW is committed to play in the Champion Golfers Challenge which is the 4 hole event that proceeds the Open Championship.

My Nike contact said he has until next Friday, not today, to commit to The Masters.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1427510324' post='11232059']
[Quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1427509518' post='11231969']
So did he commit or what? Come on Pelz, get it together with the info distribution!
[/quote]
KY. I'll give you this one. TW is committed to play in the Champion Golfers Challenge which is the 4 hole event that proceeds the Open Championship.

My Nike contact said he has until next Friday, not today, to commit to The Masters.
[/quote]

If he plays it will be without a tune-up tournament, he's definitely not playing next week. And I think that means he's not playing the Masters.

As stated on ESPN [size=4]"[color=#333333]There is no commitment deadline for the Masters; as a past champion, Woods has a lifetime invitation. If he does not play, there will not be a player added to the field." Next Friday probably is the deadline date, but lets be honest. He has till about 5 min before the tee times are announced.[/color][/size]

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1427304690' post='11213737']
I am 50/50 on watching The Masters.
[/quote]

Man! Talk about a penance!

This cat has two choices: 1) Miss the greatest, most entertaining tournament in golf merely because his favorite player isn't playing, or 2) Watch his guy shoot an embarrassing 85 and sit DFL, then WD.

Now [i]that's[/i] a penance, folks. :)

I think his US Open exemption has expired.
[/quote]

Not yet. U.S. Open winners receive a 10 year exemption. 2018 would be when it runs out. Apparently he is also exempt for this year's U.S. Open due to his PLAYERS victory in 2013. Had no idea that came with a 3 year U.S. Open exemption.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/tiger-woods-has-exempt-status-for-us-open/

Not much of a choice as to who to have be your official spokesman Notah or Steiny.. One does it for money the other for suck up points. Why bother saying 50-50? Means nothing. If he shows up fine. If he doesn't show up also fine.

Won't impact the Masters one way or the other.... Maybe no Tiger impacts other tournaments as far as attendance, but everyone I know (myself included) that has tickets intends to be there..

[quote name='sandy' timestamp='1427531406' post='11233105']
Not much of a choice as to who to have be your official spokesman Notah or Steiny.. One does it for money the other for suck up points. Why bother saying 50-50? Means nothing. If he shows up fine. If he doesn't show up also fine.

Won't impact the Masters one way or the other.... Maybe no Tiger impacts other tournaments as far as attendance, but everyone I know (myself included) that has tickets intends to be there..
[/quote]

i remember the 2008 pga that tiger wasn't a part of, getting tickets a year in advance and still went, but there was a hit. being able to go into the 18th greenside stands and find a seat mid-afternoon, would've been unheard of had tiger been there.

[quote name='redfirebird08' timestamp='1427526689' post='11233005']
I think his US Open exemption has expired.
[/quote]

Not yet. U.S. Open winners receive a 10 year exemption. 2018 would be when it runs out. Apparently he is also exempt for this year's U.S. Open due to his PLAYERS victory in 2013. Had no idea that came with a 3 year U.S. Open exemption.

[url="http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/tiger-woods-has-exempt-status-for-us-open/"]http://www.seattleti...us-for-us-open/[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks...wasn't sure on that.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1427509893' post='11232001']
In 2013 Crenshaw shot 80-84 and was 1 removed from DFL. In 2014 he shot +24 and was DFL by 7 shots. This year he announces it's his last Masters.

Not too difficult to figure out.
[/quote]

He can still play if he chooses to, not too difficult to figure that out either.